Queta

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ThunderAggie

Re: Queta

Post by ThunderAggie » May 28th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 1:22 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
With Queta back, does this mean we are out of room for scholarships....meaning no grad transfer PG?
We still have one available IIRC.
Maybe having Queta back will reel in a good grad transfer PG that is on the portal or will join portal soon if they realize they could start for a very good team with NBA talent and tournament potential.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 28th, 2019, 1:29 pm

MacAggie wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 1:24 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
With Queta back, does this mean we are out of room for scholarships....meaning no grad transfer PG?
Fakira is gone from this list right?

2019-20
1 - Sam Merrill - SG - (Sr.)
2 - Diogo Brito - SG - (Sr.)
3 - Abel Porter - PG - (Jr.)
4 - Roche Grootfaam - PF (RsJr.)
5 - Jakub Karwowski - PF - (Jr.)
6 - Alphonso Anderson - SF/PF (Jr.)
7 - Klay Stall - PF - (Jr.)
8 - Neemias Queta - C (So.)
9 - Justin Bean - PF - (So.)
10 - Brock Miller - SG/SF - (So.)
11 - Ben Fakira - C - (So.)
12 - Sean Bairstow - SG (Fr.)
13 - Liam McChesney - SF/PF (Fr.)

Walk-on - Alek Johnson - SG - (So.)
Yes. Fakira has gone home. We have one scholarship remaining. All avenues of adding a player are still being looked at BUT the possibility of waiting and using it on a 2020 kid instead is now a possibility as well.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » May 28th, 2019, 1:30 pm

MacAggie wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 1:24 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
Fakira is gone from this list right?

2019-20
1 - Sam Merrill - SG - (Sr.)
2 - Diogo Brito - SG - (Sr.)
3 - Abel Porter - PG - (Jr.)
4 - Roche Grootfaam - PF (RsJr.)
5 - Jakub Karwowski - PF - (Jr.)
6 - Alphonso Anderson - SF/PF (Jr.)
7 - Klay Stall - PF - (Jr.)
8 - Neemias Queta - C (So.)
9 - Justin Bean - PF - (So.)
10 - Brock Miller - SG/SF - (So.)
11 - Ben Fakira - C - (So.)
12 - Sean Bairstow - SG (Fr.)
13 - Liam McChesney - SF/PF (Fr.)

Walk-on - Alek Johnson - SG - (So.)
I believe you are correct.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » May 28th, 2019, 1:42 pm

There are still some pretty good immediately eligible PG's left on the portal...
1. Derryck Thornton Jr. of USC (5 star out of high school and played at Duke)
2. Kareem South of TA&M CC(We were on his list in April, but I think we went off it. Maybe Queta's return will bring back interest)
3. Ryan Woolridge of North Texas
Last edited by ThunderAggie on May 28th, 2019, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 28th, 2019, 2:00 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 12:50 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 12:45 pm
agster wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 12:26 pm
Does Kuba still have a redshirt?
Kuba does NOT have a redshirt available. The coaching staff is counting on Kuba being a contributor this season.
I have to see these two on the court at the same time, even if it's just for a brief shift... :shock:
I'll ask if that's ever been discussed as a potential lineup?

If nothing else he will be good to give Queta rest and when he gets in foul trouble, depth is important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » May 28th, 2019, 2:07 pm

We have room to sign 2 more. 13=13 right?

We really, really need a point guard to take the load off of Porter and now importantly Sam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » May 28th, 2019, 2:08 pm

This is such great news! Time for me to buy my first set of basketball season tickets!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 28th, 2019, 2:16 pm

dyedblue wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:07 pm

We really, really need a point guard to take the load off of Porter and now importantly Sam.

I'm not seeing where you are getting 2 scholarships left?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » May 28th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my attempt to be funny with the 13=13. By all measures I have seen we only have one to give

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 28th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Craig recruits big men, like Stew recruited combo guards.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » May 28th, 2019, 3:47 pm

dyedblue wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Porter/Bairstow/Brito might be enough if rumor is true Bairstow can handle the 1

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 28th, 2019, 3:55 pm

I like the idea of a PG, but he needs to be very good and especially good against a press.

We actually seemed to move the ball fairly well in the half court. We struggled against the press which created a ton of turnovers down the stretch.

My fear with “getting a PG” is that we’d be getting one just to get one. I’m not up on the transfer portal- but how many very solid PGs can there be.

Knowing nothing else, I’m a tad skeptical of guys transferring down. Why? (A very good question for any transfer)

Brayden Bell was a nightmare and was probably one of Stew’s biggest flops. At least with non-transfer busts like Modou and Jaxon they are good people who are well liked. They just weren’t good enough. Jaxon came back to Logan several times and still had a place for Logan in his heart.

Brayden was barely able to function on or off the court. It’s as if Stew saw some HS tape “Ohio State” and didn’t do any due diligence.

So the lesson being, I hope we wouldn’t bring someone on just because they played PG at a P5 school.

Luckily Coach Smith seems to know his system and who fits in and who doesn’t.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
brownjeans

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » May 28th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 3:55 pm
I like the idea of a PG, but he needs to be very good and especially good against a press.

We actually seemed to move the ball fairly well in the half court. We struggled against the press which created a ton of turnovers down the stretch.

My fear with “getting a PG” is that we’d be getting one just to get one. I’m not up on the transfer portal- but how many very solid PGs can there be.

Knowing nothing else, I’m a tad skeptical of guys transferring down. Why? (A very good question for any transfer)

Brayden Bell was a nightmare and was probably one of Stew’s biggest flops. At least with non-transfer busts like Modou and Jaxon they are good people who are well liked. They just weren’t good enough. Jaxon came back to Logan several times and still had a place for Logan in his heart.

Brayden was barely able to function on or off the court. It’s as if Stew saw some HS tape “Ohio State” and didn’t do any due diligence.

So the lesson being, I hope we wouldn’t bring someone on just because they played PG at a P5 school.

There are still some pretty good immediately eligible PG's left on the portal...
2. Kareem South of TA&M CC(We were on his list in April, but I think we went off it. Maybe Queta's return will bring back interest)

(Already posted it earlier, but kinda answers the transfer portal question)

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » May 28th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:

For all of Stew's tremendous qualities, he never was a spectacular recruiter. He got the most out of the kids that he signed to be sure, but didn't seem to enjoy the recruiting process and it cost him on a few occasions.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 28th, 2019, 4:02 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 3:59 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

Understood and I saw it- but think why someone would go to Duke, then USC and transfer again. I understand it happens and people have unique circumstances but there is at least a yellow flag there.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 28th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:00 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

For all of Stew's tremendous qualities, he never was a spectacular recruiter. He got the most out of the kids that he signed to be sure, but didn't seem to enjoy the recruiting process and it cost him on a few occasions.
With Bell it was near negligence. Having met the guy, having had class with him- he just never seemed to be all there. I can’t imagine Smith taking a guy like Bell but others on here know Coach Smith better than I do- which is not at all.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Madmartigan

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » May 28th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:02 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Understood and I saw it- but think why someone would go to Duke, then USC and transfer again. I understand it happens and people have unique circumstances but there is at least a yellow flag there.
Yeah, I agree. I doubt any remaining "good" grad transfers come to USU. I'm not too worried about our PG situation in most games as they just need to get the ball up the court and we have plenty of those, but like said, mainly for press situations, traps, etc. If we get a PG transfer, he would have to be pretty good to take Porter's spot or compete at the guard position. Toolson would have been a good addition...

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 28th, 2019, 4:38 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I doubt any remaining "good" grad transfers come to USU. I'm not too worried about our PG situation in most games as they just need to get the ball up the court and we have plenty of those, but like said, mainly for press situations, traps, etc. If we get a PG transfer, he would have to be pretty good to take Porter's spot or compete at the guard position. Toolson would have been a good addition...

PG will not be a factor until the NCAA tourney, then it could be huge,

These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
Pacobag

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 28th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Exactly. If Smith is content with doing really well in the MW, and that’s his goal, what we have now is fine. If Smith wants to make noise in the NCAA tourney then he better find a good one.

It doesn’t make sense to wait. With Merrill and Queta gone after next year, gotta strike while the iron is hot.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
Pacobag

LKGates

Post by LKGates » May 28th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Multiple transfers is like multiple divorces. It isn't definitive, but it is .... concerning. Divorce happens. Anyone can make a mistake. I'll even spot you two; hey, things happen. Three? It's probably you.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 2):
Aggie19Imakeitrain

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » May 28th, 2019, 5:39 pm

2004AG wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:50 pm
Jjoey53 wrote:
Exactly. If Smith is content with doing really well in the MW, and that’s his goal, what we have now is fine. If Smith wants to make noise in the NCAA tourney then he better find a good one.

It doesn’t make sense to wait. With Merrill and Queta gone after next year, gotta strike while the iron is hot.
I totally agree!

Assuming our key players stay healthy and work hard, we should do very well next year. An upgrade (and obviously good fit) at the noted spot would give us a better shot at winning more than 1 game in the Dance.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 28th, 2019, 6:27 pm

If we stay with where things are, this team is capable of a special season, a 5-ish range seed, and a sweet 16.

Is there a PG who can improve on that? Maybe. I suspect the coaches are going to be careful about the fit - as they should be.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
ThunderAggie

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » May 28th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Transfers don't concern me at all anymore. 3-4 guys on average leave teams every year. Guys on highly successful teams are even bailing out now. It is worse than free agency.

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » May 28th, 2019, 7:07 pm

dyedblue wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:55 pm
Transfers don't concern me at all anymore. 3-4 guys on average leave teams every year. Guys on highly successful teams are even bailing out now. It is worse than free agency.

I agree, I think some of the others were speaking of players who are transferring from their 2nd or even 3rd school, which I also agree with them, I kid moving on to his second school is one thing someone moving onto what would be their 3rd or 4th school would be a little concerning.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 28th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Porter has 1 year of D1 experience and less than 20 games as the starter. With his IQ and determination,plus this coaching staff I’m sure he’s working on his weaknesses as we speak. I fully expect him to have less turnovers next year and to be an even better ball handler. One of the biggest mistakes you can make in sports is to assume a player will stay the same throughout their career. Players get better or get worse far more than they stay the same. And Abel doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who will waste an opportunity and get worse.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies22

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 28th, 2019, 11:30 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Porter has 1 year of D1 experience and less than 20 games as the starter. With his IQ and determination,plus this coaching staff I’m sure he’s working on his weaknesses as we speak. I fully expect him to have less turnovers next year and to be an even better ball handler. One of the biggest mistakes you can make in sports is to assume a player will stay the same throughout their career. Players get better or get worse far more than they stay the same. And Abel doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who will waste an opportunity and get worse.

Very good point, especially considering the improvements Porter made from his freshman year to last.
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21aggies22

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 15th, 2019, 10:59 am

Queta's 2019 NBA Combine Performance

Measurable...............Measurement......Percentile
Height w/o shoes..........82.75″...............86%
Height w/ shoes............84.25″...............89%
Weight.........................225.8 lbs.............20%
Body Fat %......................6.3 %...............26%
Wingspan......................88.25″...............82%
Hand Length..................9.50″................77%
Hand Width...................11.00″...............94%
Standing Reach............111.5″...............88%
Lane Agility Time......12.04 sec.............31%
Shuttle Run................3.45 sec...............7%
3/4 Court Sprint.........3.58 sec...............8%
Standing Vertical...........24.0″................8%
Max Vertical..................32.5″................50%
Bench Press......................1*....................1%

Really happy to have Neemias back. Based on these numbers, I hope he spends the summer working on agility, quickness, and strength training.

EDIT NOTE: Queta was able to bench press 185 lbs only once. Keep in mind that Kevin Durant famously was unable to bench press the 185 lbs even a single time at the 2007 combine.
Last edited by ChicAggie on June 15th, 2019, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 15th, 2019, 11:04 am

NBA Combine Comparisons:

Name........................................Year..........College................Similarity
Rudy Gobert............................2013.......Cholet (FRA).............95.7%
Justin Patton..........................2017........Creighton.................95.2%
Hassan Whiteside..................2010.........Marshall..................94.6%
LaMarcus Aldridge.................2006...........Texas.....................93.0%
Martynas Andriuskevicius.....2005....Žalgiris Kaunas (LT).....91.6%

Some good ones, and some not so good ones.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 15th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Seems like a good vert for a seven footer

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » June 16th, 2019, 12:43 pm

ChicAggie wrote:Queta's 2019 NBA Combine Performance

Really happy to have Neemias back. Based on these numbers, I hope he spends the summer working on agility, quickness, and strength training.

EDIT NOTE: Queta was able to bench press 185 lbs only once. Keep in mind that Kevin Durant famously was unable to bench press the 185 lbs even a single time at the 2007 combine.
I got him on the bench, bodyweight, and bodyfat. Image

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
NVAggie

Hail Aggies!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 16th, 2019, 1:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 11:06 pm
Porter has 1 year of D1 experience and less than 20 games as the starter. With his IQ and determination,plus this coaching staff I’m sure he’s working on his weaknesses as we speak. I fully expect him to have less turnovers next year and to be an even better ball handler. One of the biggest mistakes you can make in sports is to assume a player will stay the same throughout their career. Players get better or get worse far more than they stay the same. And Abel doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who will waste an opportunity and get worse.
:golfclap: :golfclap:

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » June 16th, 2019, 8:16 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:

I have you in weight and body fat so I guess I win.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » June 16th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Gretsch wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

You confuse the keto diet for the kilo diet?!?

Hail Aggies!

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » June 16th, 2019, 8:55 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
Gretsch wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

You confuse the keto diet for the kilo diet?!?

Keto is the one where I only eat scones from Angies? Because I definitely knocked that one out of the park.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 28th, 2019, 12:18 pm

CBS has a full first round 2020 NBA draft out. It's hard to put a lot of stock in these, but it gets you thinking how much Queta might have to improve in order to be a first round, let alone lottery pick. What's interesting is that 18 of the 30 have yet to play a college game, either because they are incoming freshman or are overseas.

But...before we get hopes up about him being back following this year, even with significant improvement, with the steady influx of new talent, his chances of being a first rounder really don't improve that much.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... selection/

Locked Previous topicNext topic