13 = 13 Status

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bank Shot
Posts: 120
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by Bank Shot » May 10th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Recent history should be a lesson to everyone thinking that a stud PG is the answer. Kyrie Irving is a stud. He can shoot, drive, distribute and all Celtic fans were sure that a full season of health and the addition of Hayward that the finals were a cinch. What happened? By most accounts, the over achieving team from last year became the underachiever of this year because the chemistry and team togetherness was trashed. By who? Again by most accounts, the stud PG.

Even Stevens admitted recently that he knew they were in big trouble after the first couple of games in October. The intangibles that fueled one year were shot, and all the extra talent caused more trouble than when it wasn't there.
These users liked this post from Bank Shot:
aggies22



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 14803
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 10th, 2019, 7:56 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:44 pm
We are currently looking at four guards but all four guards would have to sit out next season.
Makes sense with Sam and Brito graduating and very few minutes available this year to keep a new guy happy.



nvspuds
Posts: 410
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by nvspuds » May 10th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Looks like you guys have 6 players who played a lot last year returning. Assuming Quetta comes back. That is a great core.



Bank Shot
Posts: 120
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by Bank Shot » May 10th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Good to see you around spuds. How's the transition going?



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6135
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 535 times
Been liked: 306 times
Contact:

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by aggies22 » May 10th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:49 pm
Recent history should be a lesson to everyone thinking that a stud PG is the answer. Kyrie Irving is a stud. He can shoot, drive, distribute and all Celtic fans were sure that a full season of health and the addition of Hayward that the finals were a cinch. What happened? By most accounts, the over achieving team from last year became the underachiever of this year because the chemistry and team togetherness was trashed. By who? Again by most accounts, the stud PG.

Even Stevens admitted recently that he knew they were in big trouble after the first couple of games in October. The intangibles that fueled one year were shot, and all the extra talent caused more trouble than when it wasn't there.
Well done my Aggie friend.



Jjoey53
Posts: 1183
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 36 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by Jjoey53 » May 10th, 2019, 9:51 pm

nvspuds wrote:Looks like you guys have 6 players who played a lot last year returning. Assuming Quetta comes back. That is a great core.

Missed you spuds, glad you are back.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 4928
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by 2004AG » May 10th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:49 pm
Recent history should be a lesson to everyone thinking that a stud PG is the answer. Kyrie Irving is a stud. He can shoot, drive, distribute and all Celtic fans were sure that a full season of health and the addition of Hayward that the finals were a cinch. What happened? By most accounts, the over achieving team from last year became the underachiever of this year because the chemistry and team togetherness was trashed. By who? Again by most accounts, the stud PG.

Even Stevens admitted recently that he knew they were in big trouble after the first couple of games in October. The intangibles that fueled one year were shot, and all the extra talent caused more trouble than when it wasn't there.
Good point. Lets get a stud PG that isn't a jerk. Problem solved. Everybody wins.



nvspuds
Posts: 410
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by nvspuds » May 10th, 2019, 10:08 pm

You guys had a very efficient and effective offense without a penetrating PG last year..



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 709
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 10th, 2019, 11:28 pm

Hey spuds, good to see you around here. You’re closer to the Nevada situation than most of us. Some of us have heard that there was some crap that went down between Caroline and one of the Martins. Is this a myth? Nevada just looked so off at the end of last year. It was a real shame. I’d hoped for a better showing in the tournament and neither MW team did that.

I think you guys got a good replacement for musselman tho.



nvspuds
Posts: 410
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by nvspuds » May 11th, 2019, 9:14 am

None of those rumors were true about Caroline and the Martins. That was cooked up by a dude in Vegas.

You are correct they were off by the end of the season. Part of it was an injury to Caroline that slowed him up but they also were missing shots. Guys lost the rhythm of the offense and Muss was calling for more isolation stuff.

The team wasn't as good as they were the year before, particularly before Drew got hurt, They really struggled with perimeter defense.

Muss got stubborn about not playing a lot of guys and overall fatigue played a role too.

However, I loved the Muss years and I will remain huge fans of all those players.

I don't know who all will be on the roster going forward. Brown and Drew are still in the portal and the Pack lost Shamiel Stevensen yesterday to Nebraska. I, personally, think both Brown and Drew will stay.

There will be a mixture of Muss recruits and Alford recruits but the team will certainly be different.

Three guys to keep an eye on are Jalen Harris 6'5 combo guard/wing , Eric Parrish 6'7 wing/forward and KJ Hymes 6'10 C/F
These users liked this post from nvspuds. Total Likes: 2
flying_scotsman2.0Pacobag



bluegrouse
Posts: 2669
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 160 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by bluegrouse » May 11th, 2019, 11:07 am

I for one am glad to know those rumors were not true. I have always liked the Martin twins and have always thought they were stand-up guys. Now I can wish for their post-collegiate success without any caveats.



nvspuds
Posts: 410
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by nvspuds » May 11th, 2019, 11:12 am

The Martins are 2 of the nicest kids you will ever meet. While, he had a meltdown in Logan, Caroline is also a very nice young man.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2358
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by ChicAggie » May 11th, 2019, 11:55 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 3:57 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 3:51 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 3:44 pm
Fakira has gone home. He will not be back. And no we will not necessarily be taking a guard for the last spot. The coaches feel they have something really special going, especially if Queta comes back and they do not want to rock the boat.
I'm not even sure what this means. We're going to have 13 scholarship players regardless. Why would adding depth at the PG position as the 13th scholarship player rock the boat any more than adding a 4th or 5th SG/SF or another big? It would seem reckless not to add another PG -- unless the coaching staff believes one of the other players can handle the role or they want to move away from an offense that utilizes a traditional PG at all.
I guess what I'm saying is, trust the coaching staff. They know what they have and adding a 6th guard would not benefit the team unless he has to sit out a year. Adding another guard to play next year pushes someone out of the rotation that the staff feels has value to the team.
I hear you, 22. No one wants to mess with chemistry. I guess what I intended to say is that if the Ags are going to add at least one more player anyway to fill Fakira's seat on the bench, I'm not sure how adding a player at the 4 or 5 position would rock the boat any less than adding another ball-handler -- unless Abel's ego is so fragile that even having another player in the wings might mess with his confidence. It may absolutely be the case that there are no players out there eligible to play in the coming season who could get any PT, but I certainly hope the priority would be to add depth in the form of an athletic ball-handler/penetrator/distributor type - whether he be a PG or a hybrid guard.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

bluegrouse
Posts: 2669
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 160 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by bluegrouse » May 11th, 2019, 2:15 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:12 am
The Martins are 2 of the nicest kids you will ever meet. While, he had a meltdown in Logan, Caroline is also a very nice young man.
I honestly don’t have anything against Caroline either. My problem was with the way the incident was handled by Musselmann, his wife and the university. That will leave a bad taste for a long, long time.
These users liked this post from bluegrouse. Total Likes: 2
Chupamediaaggies22



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14295
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 82 times
Contact:

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by treesap32 » May 12th, 2019, 11:20 am

I.M.Noone wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:03 pm
The team needs another PG, but as has been said, it has to be a good fit. This team won the MW and made the tourny with the PG it has now. I don't know, but this team may be pretty tight, and feel like they did pretty well last season with that PG and could do better next year. They may get upset if someone said something to the PG like...........thanks for doing such a good job last season, for helping us win the MW for the first time, and getting to the dance for the first time since 10-11. But we think we can do better at your spot so we're going to bring in this other PG and set you on the bench.

That might not go over too well.
I disagree completely. This team was not full of selfish players who were worried about themselves. This team was a group of players concerned about the TEAM WINNING. If the coach pulled the team in and said... we're really trying to land Joe Shmoe who will help take us to the next level, I'm positive all of the players would be STOKED. Including Abel Porter. I guarantee you that.

On some teams I would agree with your assessment, but I didn't see any me-first guys on this team. Not even Crew Ainge who cheered the team on to the very end even though his spot was rightfully taken away from him.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14295
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 82 times
Contact:

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by treesap32 » May 12th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Updated list to remove Fakira.



Pacobag
Posts: 472
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 7:34 pm
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by Pacobag » May 13th, 2019, 12:27 am

treesap32 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 12:32 pm
2019-20
1 - Sam Merrill - SG - (Sr.)
2 - Diogo Brito - SG - (Sr.)
3 - Abel Porter - PG - (Jr.)
4 - Roche Grootfaam - PF (RsJr.)
5 - Jakub Karwowski - PF - (Jr.)
6 - Alphonso Anderson - SF/PF (Jr.)
7 - Klay Stall - PF - (Jr.)
8 - Neemias Queta - C (So.)
9 - Justin Bean - PF - (So.)
10 - Brock Miller - SG/SF - (So.)
11 - Sean Bairstow - SG (Fr.)
12 - Liam McChesney - SF/PF (Fr.)
13 -

Walk-on - Alek Johnson - SG - (So.)

Mission Kids:
Steven Ashworth (Joins team in 2020-21 season)
Cade Porter (Joins team in 2021-22 season)
Landon Brenchley (Walk-on to join team in 2021-22 season)

List is updated in the recruiting thread pinned to the top.
Thanks for compiling. For Cade, is it spelled Potter or Porter?



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6135
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 535 times
Been liked: 306 times
Contact:

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by aggies22 » May 13th, 2019, 5:50 am

Pacobag wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:27 am
treesap32 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 12:32 pm
2019-20
1 - Sam Merrill - SG - (Sr.)
2 - Diogo Brito - SG - (Sr.)
3 - Abel Porter - PG - (Jr.)
4 - Roche Grootfaam - PF (RsJr.)
5 - Jakub Karwowski - PF - (Jr.)
6 - Alphonso Anderson - SF/PF (Jr.)
7 - Klay Stall - PF - (Jr.)
8 - Neemias Queta - C (So.)
9 - Justin Bean - PF - (So.)
10 - Brock Miller - SG/SF - (So.)
11 - Sean Bairstow - SG (Fr.)
12 - Liam McChesney - SF/PF (Fr.)
13 -

Walk-on - Alek Johnson - SG - (So.)

Mission Kids:
Steven Ashworth (Joins team in 2020-21 season)
Cade Porter (Joins team in 2021-22 season)
Landon Brenchley (Walk-on to join team in 2021-22 season)

List is updated in the recruiting thread pinned to the top.
Thanks for compiling. For Cade, is it spelled Potter or Porter?
It's Potter.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 709
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 13th, 2019, 6:48 am

bluegrouse wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 2:15 pm
nvspuds wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:12 am
The Martins are 2 of the nicest kids you will ever meet. While, he had a meltdown in Logan, Caroline is also a very nice young man.
I honestly don’t have anything against Caroline either. My problem was with the way the incident was handled by Musselmann, his wife and the university. That will leave a bad taste for a long, long time.
Musselman was pretty hard to watch from an opposing fan's perspective. But his wife, man, she was the real deal. Pulling the race card like she did? I despise here for that. Not sure what the the University of Nevada did wrong.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 709
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 13th, 2019, 6:49 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 5:50 am
Pacobag wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:27 am
treesap32 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 12:32 pm
2019-20
1 - Sam Merrill - SG - (Sr.)
2 - Diogo Brito - SG - (Sr.)
3 - Abel Porter - PG - (Jr.)
4 - Roche Grootfaam - PF (RsJr.)
5 - Jakub Karwowski - PF - (Jr.)
6 - Alphonso Anderson - SF/PF (Jr.)
7 - Klay Stall - PF - (Jr.)
8 - Neemias Queta - C (So.)
9 - Justin Bean - PF - (So.)
10 - Brock Miller - SG/SF - (So.)
11 - Sean Bairstow - SG (Fr.)
12 - Liam McChesney - SF/PF (Fr.)
13 -

Walk-on - Alek Johnson - SG - (So.)

Mission Kids:
Steven Ashworth (Joins team in 2020-21 season)
Cade Porter (Joins team in 2021-22 season)
Landon Brenchley (Walk-on to join team in 2021-22 season)

List is updated in the recruiting thread pinned to the top.
Thanks for compiling. For Cade, is it spelled Potter or Porter?
It's Potter.
And he looks just like his father. Except for his eyes. He has his mother's eyes.
These users liked this post from flying_scotsman2.0:
USU78



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 14803
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 13th, 2019, 7:10 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 6:49 am
aggies22 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 5:50 am
Pacobag wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:27 am
treesap32 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 12:32 pm
2019-20
1 - Sam Merrill - SG - (Sr.)
2 - Diogo Brito - SG - (Sr.)
3 - Abel Porter - PG - (Jr.)
4 - Roche Grootfaam - PF (RsJr.)
5 - Jakub Karwowski - PF - (Jr.)
6 - Alphonso Anderson - SF/PF (Jr.)
7 - Klay Stall - PF - (Jr.)
8 - Neemias Queta - C (So.)
9 - Justin Bean - PF - (So.)
10 - Brock Miller - SG/SF - (So.)
11 - Sean Bairstow - SG (Fr.)
12 - Liam McChesney - SF/PF (Fr.)
13 -

Walk-on - Alek Johnson - SG - (So.)

Mission Kids:
Steven Ashworth (Joins team in 2020-21 season)
Cade Porter (Joins team in 2021-22 season)
Landon Brenchley (Walk-on to join team in 2021-22 season)

List is updated in the recruiting thread pinned to the top.
Thanks for compiling. For Cade, is it spelled Potter or Porter?
It's Potter.
And he looks just like his father. Except for his eyes. He has his mother's eyes.
You mean Mr Potter?
Image
These users liked this post from hipsterdoofus21:
flying_scotsman2.0



trombone_ninja
Posts: 1013
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by trombone_ninja » May 13th, 2019, 8:48 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 6:49 am
aggies22 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 5:50 am
Pacobag wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:27 am
treesap32 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 12:32 pm
2019-20
1 - Sam Merrill - SG - (Sr.)
2 - Diogo Brito - SG - (Sr.)
3 - Abel Porter - PG - (Jr.)
4 - Roche Grootfaam - PF (RsJr.)
5 - Jakub Karwowski - PF - (Jr.)
6 - Alphonso Anderson - SF/PF (Jr.)
7 - Klay Stall - PF - (Jr.)
8 - Neemias Queta - C (So.)
9 - Justin Bean - PF - (So.)
10 - Brock Miller - SG/SF - (So.)
11 - Sean Bairstow - SG (Fr.)
12 - Liam McChesney - SF/PF (Fr.)
13 -

Walk-on - Alek Johnson - SG - (So.)

Mission Kids:
Steven Ashworth (Joins team in 2020-21 season)
Cade Porter (Joins team in 2021-22 season)
Landon Brenchley (Walk-on to join team in 2021-22 season)

List is updated in the recruiting thread pinned to the top.
Thanks for compiling. For Cade, is it spelled Potter or Porter?
It's Potter.
And he looks just like his father. Except for his eyes. He has his mother's eyes.
You mean Mr Potter?
Image
Or this guy?
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14295
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 82 times
Contact:

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by treesap32 » May 14th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Pacobag wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:27 am
Thanks for compiling. For Cade, is it spelled Potter or Porter?
My bad. It's fixed. Thanks for the catch.



bluegrouse
Posts: 2669
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 160 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by bluegrouse » May 14th, 2019, 11:20 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 6:48 am
bluegrouse wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 2:15 pm
nvspuds wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:12 am
The Martins are 2 of the nicest kids you will ever meet. While, he had a meltdown in Logan, Caroline is also a very nice young man.
I honestly don’t have anything against Caroline either. My problem was with the way the incident was handled by Musselmann, his wife and the university. That will leave a bad taste for a long, long time.
Musselman was pretty hard to watch from an opposing fan's perspective. But his wife, man, she was the real deal. Pulling the race card like she did? I despise here for that. Not sure what the the University of Nevada did wrong.
They held nobody accountable and in their public statement they blamed both schools whereas our statement only mentioned us and what we could do better. Very, very weak.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2358
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by ChicAggie » May 15th, 2019, 9:53 am

Pacobag wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:27 am
Thanks for compiling. For Cade, is it spelled Potter or Porter?
I believe it is spelled Potter, but pronounced Porter.
These users liked this post from ChicAggie. Total Likes: 2
NVAggiePacobag


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

I.M.Noone
Posts: 298
Joined: June 4th, 2016, 11:30 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: 13 = 13 Status

Post by I.M.Noone » May 15th, 2019, 10:21 am

Word is they're going to make another Harry Porter movie.
These users liked this post from I.M.Noone. Total Likes: 2
NVAggiePacobag


Warning! Don't read this post. It's garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic