Queta - NBA Combine

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
pablohoney

Re: Queta - NBA Combine

Post by pablohoney » May 23rd, 2019, 7:15 am

Can we get a Queta decision countdown clock up on the top of the board next to the Football countdown. 6 Days and counting...

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 23rd, 2019, 7:40 am

From The Athletic
Neemias Queta, Utah State: Queta had a strong measurements portion of the combine, but struggled when it came to playing. In the first game, the aforementioned Fall really gave Queta fits. He struggled significantly dealing with not just Fall, but some of the quicker guards in attendance. He was better in the second game as a rim protector, but wasn’t necessarily a standout.

The word from sources around the combine on Friday (following his struggles on Thursday) was that Queta was likely to return to Utah State. The 7-foot big man is unlikely to hear his name called in the first round, and would be risking a tougher road to reach the NBA if he was to end up going through the process. Queta will likely fall somewhere in the No. 43 to 48 range on my board, depending on who else decides to go through with the process. That’s a really iffy range in regard to ending up with guaranteed money. Still, Queta said on Thursday that no decisions have been made, and that the feedback he gets will determine whether or not he stays in. He played somewhat coy about the feedback he’s gotten when he spoke with The Athletic during his media session.

“I like it,” Queta said about the feedback he’s gotten so far with a huge smile on his face. Then after a follow-up question, he again reiterated only that “I like it.”

With that mixed set of information, it’s hard to say with any sort of confidence what Queta’s call will be. I’ll go out on a limb and believe those who said he’s likely to return, even with the huge caveat of Queta projecting strength in his position.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » May 23rd, 2019, 8:58 am

brownjeans wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 11:21 pm
Strictly from a development stand point, what are the pros and cons of 1 year in the G-league vs 1 year at USU?
I'm learning more this week about the G-League than I ever could have wanted to know. The rules seem a lot more complex than Minor League Baseball's 4 levels.

Developmentally, my understanding is that the G-League plays the same rules as the NBA, so it would be one year picking up the new ins and outs of NBA rules. Those saying it's not a good place for Bigs, I don't know what that is based on. Clint Capela spent most of his first year in the G League. Gobert and Crowder both had short stints in the G League. It might be a good spot for him to develop a 3 pt shot, which I think is necessary for bigs in today's NBA. I don't see him getting to shoot 3's in Logan. 38 NBA coaches (mostly assistant) in the past four years have come from the G-League, as did Quinn Snyder.

The G-League is not what the D-League used to be. It appears the NBA is really trying to make it a real developmental league similar to the MLB farm system. It's not quite there yet, but it is a lot better than it used to be.

All that said, apparently he can retain his draft eligibility but cannot be called up during the season if he chooses to maintain draft eligibility, so that would be a point against the G-League.
NBA DRAFT-ELIGIBLE PLAYERS

A player who has not yet entered the NBA Draft can instead enter the NBA G League and maintain his NBA Draft eligibility.

If the player signs with the NBA G League before the season, he is eligible for the NBA G League Draft. If he signs mid-season, he is available for NBA G League teams to claim in the league waiver pool.

Unlike the rest of the players signed by the G League, NBA Draft-eligible players are not eligible to be called up by NBA teams.
https://gleague.nba.com/how-rosters-are-built/

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

utaggies

Post by utaggies » May 23rd, 2019, 10:51 am

Here’s the latest from SI on Queta:

Neemias Queta, Utah State
There’s a school of thought that Queta could really benefit from turning pro, getting into an NBA strength program and gaining experience in the G League. He’s had a unique trajectory coming from Portugal to Utah State, and if he decides to return to a strong Aggies team, they should be the clear Mountain West favorites. With his tools and improving skill level, Queta could break out as a sophomore.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 23rd, 2019, 1:52 pm

Looks like he's got to decide if a year in the G League will put him in a better position the following year than a year at USU.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 23rd, 2019, 2:02 pm

I don't think I have ever heard of a player going the G-League-instead-of-college route while maintaining draft eligibility. It may have happened, but I just haven't heard of it.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » May 23rd, 2019, 5:01 pm

Don't know if its true but Glen Rice Jr comes to mind. I'm sure there are others. Not that he made in to the NBA though.

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » May 23rd, 2019, 6:48 pm

The only reason Quin Snyder went the G league route is he got caught cheating in the NCAA.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » May 23rd, 2019, 9:18 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 8:58 am
brownjeans wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 11:21 pm
Strictly from a development stand point, what are the pros and cons of 1 year in the G-league vs 1 year at USU?
I'm learning more this week about the G-League than I ever could have wanted to know. The rules seem a lot more complex than Minor League Baseball's 4 levels.

Developmentally, my understanding is that the G-League plays the same rules as the NBA, so it would be one year picking up the new ins and outs of NBA rules. Those saying it's not a good place for Bigs, I don't know what that is based on. Clint Capela spent most of his first year in the G League. Gobert and Crowder both had short stints in the G League. It might be a good spot for him to develop a 3 pt shot, which I think is necessary for bigs in today's NBA. I don't see him getting to shoot 3's in Logan. 38 NBA coaches (mostly assistant) in the past four years have come from the G-League, as did Quinn Snyder.

The G-League is not what the D-League used to be. It appears the NBA is really trying to make it a real developmental league similar to the MLB farm system. It's not quite there yet, but it is a lot better than it used to be.

All that said, apparently he can retain his draft eligibility but cannot be called up during the season if he chooses to maintain draft eligibility, so that would be a point against the G-League.
NBA DRAFT-ELIGIBLE PLAYERS

A player who has not yet entered the NBA Draft can instead enter the NBA G League and maintain his NBA Draft eligibility.

If the player signs with the NBA G League before the season, he is eligible for the NBA G League Draft. If he signs mid-season, he is available for NBA G League teams to claim in the league waiver pool.

Unlike the rest of the players signed by the G League, NBA Draft-eligible players are not eligible to be called up by NBA teams.
https://gleague.nba.com/how-rosters-are-built/

Gobert and Capela were first round picks that bounced back and forth. They were getting real NBA coaching and money. It's not the same for 2nd round and undrafted guys. They don't get near the coaching or facilities.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 23rd, 2019, 9:54 pm

How does coaching access in the G-league compare to D1? Do NCAA rules limit the coaching and focus that student athletes can receive? How do directed practice time and game time compare? How does the level of competition compare?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 23rd, 2019, 11:33 pm

I want Utah State to keep him. If he goes pro I want the Jazz to take a hard pass.

He’s good. He was already somewhat of a liability in some aspects in college, those get magnified in NBA- presumably. He may get there, but he’s not there yet.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 24th, 2019, 6:32 am

Blitz79 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 5:01 pm
Don't know if its true but Glen Rice Jr comes to mind. I'm sure there are others. Not that he made in to the NBA though.
Three things:

1. Glen Rice Jr. was kicked out of school after a shooting incident, so he didn't have the option of staying in school.
2. He played in the D-League back before rule changes kicked in and the G-League was formed.
3. He was drafted in the 2nd round and never stuck in the NBA, so going that route didn't exactly improve his lot in life.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » May 24th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:I want Utah State to keep him. If he goes pro I want the Jazz to take a hard pass.

He’s good. He was already somewhat of a liability in some aspects in college, those get magnified in NBA- presumably. He may get there, but he’s not there yet.
From the evaluation I read by the Jazz I think they are taking a “hard pass”

Locked Previous topicNext topic