Losing Quinn Taylor

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
treesap32

Losing Quinn Taylor

Post by treesap32 » May 29th, 2019, 8:15 am

I think losing Quinn Taylor is a bigger loss than many people seem to believe. Quinn was an unheralded key piece to our success last year and ranked in the top 3 on our team in a ton of advanced statistics last year. I think Quinn will definitely be missed this coming year.

HOWEVER, I am comforted by the fact that we have several replacement options for him. Even if Stall and Groot don't beat the injury bug, we still have Kuba, Anderson, and McChesney who can all play the PF spot if needed.

All in all, it hurts to lose Quinn, but the additions we made to the team should more than make up for it if they perform as expected.

Out of all the incoming bigs listed above, who do you think will have to most impact?
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
ProvoAggieNVAggieChicAggiesneednewtonianblue

aceofspadeskb

Re: Losing Quinn Taylor

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 29th, 2019, 8:26 am

We lost a lot of intangible contributions as well when we lost Quinn. His attitude was gold.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 29th, 2019, 8:39 am

Crazy to think that a former walk-on accomplished so much. He was a big part of our success last year. It will be interesting to see how others step up and mesh with the team.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » May 29th, 2019, 9:21 am

He hit some big 3s at unexpected moments too. He was one of the most improved players I've seen play all 4 years at USU.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » May 29th, 2019, 9:42 am

I will miss seeing the same face he seemed to pull no matter what he was doing on the court. All joking aside Quinn was a very unheralded part of our success last year and some of the intangibles that he brought to the team will be what will be tough to replace. I think it's doable and like what was already said earlier, others will need to step up and fill that void. I think they will.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 29th, 2019, 9:46 am

treesap32 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:15 am
I think losing Quinn Taylor is a bigger loss than many people seem to believe. Quinn was an unheralded key piece to our success last year and ranked in the top 3 on our team in a ton of advanced statistics last year. I think Quinn will definitely be missed this coming year.

HOWEVER, I am comforted by the fact that we have several replacement options for him. Even if Stall and Groot don't beat the injury bug, we still have Kuba, Anderson, and McChesney who can all play the PF spot if needed.

All in all, it hurts to lose Quinn, but the additions we made to the team should more than make up for it if they perform as expected.

Out of all the incoming bigs listed above, who do you think will have to most impact?
I agree, though I don't think he was completely unheralded -- at least a couple of posters on this board heralded him several times. ;)

Though I believe his contributions were far more significant and meaningful than some might have appreciated, I haven't been as worried about his loss as perhaps I should be given the influx of talent. I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention Bean as a potential replacement. He played FANTASTIC ball for much of the season. I am also cautiously optimistic that some combination of Stall, Groot, Kuba, McChesney, Bairstow, and Anderson can pick up minutes at the 4 and potentially be even an upgrade over the very solid contributions we got from Taylor.

I'm not one to make predictions about future events with insufficient data to support my predictions (which is why you have never seen me on any of the "predict the score" threads), so I can't really say which of them will have the most impact, but if I had to rank them based on my own excitement/expectations for their likely contributions this upcoming season, I would rank them as follows:

McChesney
Bean
Bairstow
Kuba
Anderson
Stall
Groot

Now that I have put that in writing, I will also predict that this prediction will be completely off base.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

aggiebydefault
Has thanked: 0

Post by aggiebydefault » May 29th, 2019, 9:56 am

He's up on the Aggie Legends podcast now btw. It's a solid listen and it sounds like he's got some exciting things ahead of him. Glad it worked out to get him that scholarship a couple years back and that he stayed an Aggie.

SLB

Post by SLB » May 29th, 2019, 10:31 am

treesap32 wrote:

Quinn Taylor was good, but Quinn was roughly the 5th best player on the team at the end of the season. Heck, there were games where Bean was playing about the same number of minutes at the end of the season. I believe even if Quinn had one more year that he would be a back-up in this upcoming season. Quinn will be missed, and Quinn deserves a lot of praise being the good player that played with 110% effort for 4 years in a row.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 29th, 2019, 12:33 pm

I expect Bean, Grootfaam, and Anderson to be handling most of the duties at the 4. I could also see McChesney working his way into a stretch 4 role too but he doesn't have the body yet to bang down low. It will be interesting to see how McChesney and Bairstow mature and fill out once they are in a collegiate weight and nutrition program.

To me, losing Taylor is more of a symbol of letting go of the last tie we had to the Stew Era. Think about this: Taylor played with Butterfield, Medlin, Shaw, Reed, Clifford, Stone, Jean, Berger, Davis.....guys that seem like they have been gone for a LONG time....because they have.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
aggies22

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 29th, 2019, 12:45 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 9:46 am
treesap32 wrote:

I agree, though I don't think he was completely unheralded -- at least a couple of posters on this board heralded him several times. ;)

Though I believe his contributions were far more significant and meaningful than some might have appreciated, I haven't been as worried about his loss as perhaps I should be given the influx of talent. I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention Bean as a potential replacement. He played FANTASTIC ball for much of the season. I am also cautiously optimistic that some combination of Stall, Groot, Kuba, McChesney, Bairstow, and Anderson can pick up minutes at the 4 and potentially be even an upgrade over the very solid contributions we got from Taylor.

I'm not one to make predictions about future events with insufficient data to support my predictions (which is why you have never seen me on any of the "predict the score" threads), so I can't really say which of them will have the most impact, but if I had to rank them based on my own excitement/expectations for their likely contributions this upcoming season, I would rank them as follows:

McChesney
Bean
Bairstow
Kuba
Anderson
Stall
Groot

Now that I have put that in writing, I will also predict that this prediction will be completely off base.
Excellent post. I expected nothing less from one of the Quinn Taylor horn tooters on this board. I didn't mention Bean because I was just talking about which players we will add to the team this year after subtracting Taylor. But yes, I expect Bean to play a much larger role as well. It will be interesting to see how the rest of those guys pan out. I'll leave Bean and Queta out of my rankings below since they are both returners and I'll rank the other guys that you did, based on my limited knowledge and gut feeling.

Kuba
McChesney
Anderson
Bairstow
Groot
Stall

Klay Stall would be higher if I knew his injury woes were a thing of the past.... Anderson is a question mark for me as a JC transfer. It seems that we hit on one out of every two of those that we sign in recent years. I think he could be a good contributor to the team. Kuba's tape has me pretty excited for him, similar to when I saw Queta's tape last year. I could also see Groot contributing more out of the gates than the true freshman, but it's hard to say. You never know how players will transition to D1 ball.

I'm sure I'll be wrong in my predictions, but it will be fun to see HOW wrong.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 29th, 2019, 12:57 pm

I agree regarding Kuba's tape, but I wonder how much the lower level of competition he faced plays into the highlights. Did anyone see a Modou Niang tape from his days in Japan? Given that he averaged something like 35 ppg and 20 rpg, I suspect his tape would have made him look like Godzilla amongst mortal humans. Unfortunately, his dominance against inferior competition didn't translate into quality D1 basketball. So I have tempered my expectations for Kuba slightly, which I understand is a bit inconsistent since one could make the same arguments about McChesney and Bairstow. But I think the "insiders" on this board talking up the coaches' opinions of how much McChesney brings to the table has inflated my expectations.

Agree re Stall. His injury arc reminds me too much of Sean Harris -- and we never saw Sean fully healthy. As a result, the only version of Sean Harris we saw was the one who averaged 1.6 ppg. I'm afraid we might be left with a shell of what Stall might have been.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » May 29th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Quin was the "glue" type player that kept this team together and he worked his tail off. You could count on Quin to get a key offensive rebound or put-back to come at that critical moment. I really think Bean will take that mantle and run with it. He seems to be the same type of player, cut from the same cloth so to speak. The others will be good, but will be new and need someone with experience. Bean has that from last year and had a year to let some Quin rub off on him.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 29th, 2019, 1:34 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 12:57 pm
I agree regarding Kuba's tape, but I wonder how much the lower level of competition he faced plays into the highlights. Did anyone see a Modou Niang tape from his days in Japan? Given that he averaged something like 35 ppg and 20 rpg, I suspect his tape would have made him look like Godzilla amongst mortal humans. Unfortunately, his dominance against inferior competition didn't translate into quality D1 basketball. So I have tempered my expectations for Kuba slightly, which I understand is a bit inconsistent since one could make the same arguments about McChesney and Bairstow. But I think the "insiders" on this board talking up the coaches' opinions of how much McChesney brings to the table has inflated my expectations.

Agree re Stall. His injury arc reminds me too much of Sean Harris -- and we never saw Sean fully healthy. As a result, the only version of Sean Harris we saw was the one who averaged 1.6 ppg. I'm afraid we might be left with a shell of what Stall might have been.
Initially I thought of Modou as well, but remember that Modou was playing high school ball against people 2 and 3 feet shorter than him. Kuba is playing at a junior college. While it may not be a marquee junior college division, I'm guessing the level of competition is head and shoulders above what Modou faced.

One of my favorite memories in the Spectrum was seeing Sean Harris get into the game on his gimpy leg and making meaningful contributions to the crowd's delight. It was clear that he had talent, and his body was just failing him. But it was so great to see him finally get on the court for us. I believe he got a standing ovation that night (if not more than one). He subsequently was granted a medical redshirt and played more meaningful minutes in his second senior season the following year.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 29th, 2019, 2:46 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:26 am
We lost a lot of intangible contributions as well when we lost Quinn. His attitude was gold.
“Intangible” was the first word to come to my mind when I thought about losing Quinn. I was one of the morons calling for him to be benched mid season last year. I couldn’t have been more wrong and am ashamed that I didn’t stand by him better. Quinn was a major part of our success last year and Queta’s development as well. It’s rare to find a player these days who isn’t hunting stats or shots on the floor, but is willing to bust his butt simply for the chance to win. He epitomized Aggie basketball and will certainly be missed. Thank you Quinn!

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » May 29th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Agreed. I was always one of Quinn's biggest supporters around here, his hustle, rebounding, instincts and unselfish nature made him an incredibly efficient player and made up for deficiencies in his game otherwise.

I think Bean will fill that role nicely, although he's a bit smaller than Quinn. And like others have said, our depth is going to be better with Groot and McChesney coming in also

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » May 29th, 2019, 7:27 pm

aggiebydefault wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 9:56 am
He's up on the Aggie Legends podcast now btw. It's a solid listen and it sounds like he's got some exciting things ahead of him. Glad it worked out to get him that scholarship a couple years back and that he stayed an Aggie.
Where can this "aggie legends" podcast be found?

Where only sage brush grows

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 29th, 2019, 7:31 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 7:27 pm
aggiebydefault wrote:
If you hover over "Media" in the menu above, you'll see it listed under podcasts.

Or click here: http://aggielegends.buzzsprout.com/
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
MrBiggle

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » May 29th, 2019, 8:01 pm

treesap32 wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 7:27 pm
aggiebydefault wrote:
If you hover over "Media" in the menu above, you'll see it listed under podcasts.

Or click here: http://aggielegends.buzzsprout.com/
Aggie legends is also available on Spotify. Most convenient for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 30th, 2019, 7:47 am

There is a reason It reminds me of when we lost Brady Jardine and Kyseian quickly the season after Tai and Co. graduated.

What we lacked was a know how to win. At that point it was Preston Medlin and a bunch of relatively new faces. Could things have been different if Jordan Stone was able to play for a season with Tai, Pooh, Newbold, Quayle, etc? I think so. But after they graduated it seems to me that, that class expected to win without the determination. It reminds of a well known profanity laced Mike Leach rant when he was at TTU.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 30th, 2019, 8:47 am

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » May 31st, 2019, 9:06 am

breadysmith wrote:Image

I will miss seeing the same face he seemed to pull no matter what he was doing on the court. All joking aside Quinn was a very unheralded part of our success last year and some of the intangibles that he brought to the team will be what will be tough to replace. I think it's doable and like what was already said earlier, others will need to step up and fill that void. I think they will.
He makes the same face ordering pizza at Sam’s club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 31st, 2019, 9:22 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 9:06 am
That is exactly the face I would expect anyone to make ordering pizza at Sam's Club.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » May 31st, 2019, 9:36 am

No question Quinn will be missed. That being said I think the future is bright at the 4 position. Just looked at the Washington game box score and noticed for whatever reason Smith didn’t play Taylor a lot, I found that interesting.

Bean: 20 minutes
Taylor: 16 minutes (1 foul )
Brown: 3 minutes

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » May 31st, 2019, 2:59 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 9:06 am
That is exactly the face I would expect anyone to make ordering pizza at Sam's Club.
You probably think the sauce goes on the top too. SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
treesap32

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic