NCAA Rules Changes

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dhilk3785

NCAA Rules Changes

Post by dhilk3785 » June 5th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Two biggest ones are the 3 point line and shot clock. Those are pretty significant, so will be interesting to see how teams adjust.

1) 3 point line will move line back from 20 feet, 9 inches to 22-1¾, the same measurement used in international play.

2) Shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court.

3) The use of instant replay can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made during the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime

4) The allowance for coaches to call live-ball timeouts in the last two minutes of the second half or of any overtime

5) Players will be assessed a technical foul and ejection if they use derogatory language aimed at an opponent regarding race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ernational
https://sports.yahoo.com/official-the-m ... 50409.html
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -distance/

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: NCAA Rules Changes

Post by USU78 » June 5th, 2019, 1:28 pm

So ... this "or disability" concerns me. If players can't make fun of other players for being congenitally unable to make a free throw or are inveterate monoturners (they can, for example, only go left, never right), how long before our students are "T"'d up and shut up?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 5th, 2019, 1:45 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:10 pm
3) The use of instant replay can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made during the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime
This one intrigues me. First of all, it rarely comes up. Secondly, there seems to be an assumption that basket interference or goal tending in the last two minutes of the game is somehow more important than at any other point of the game -- which is obviously not the case. Why not just allow for a review of all such calls? We literally can go an entire 5-6 game stretch without single a single basket interference call, so it's not like this rule would add anything more than one minute tops to average game times.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » June 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm

USU78 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:28 pm
So ... this "or disability" concerns me. If players can't make fun of other players for being congenitally unable to make a free throw or are inveterate monoturners (they can, for example, only go left, never right), how long before our students are "T"'d up and shut up?
That is fairly standard language included in almost every employment agreement since the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. The EEOC has a group of protected groups for employment purposes, which includes folks with physical or mental disabilities. It is fairly common practice to apply these same protections beyond just employment and my understanding is that the Justice Department and Education Department typically apply these same standards for educational purposes as well.
https://www.justice.gov/crt/types-educa ... rimination

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » June 5th, 2019, 1:59 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:45 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:10 pm
This one intrigues me. First of all, it rarely comes up. Secondly, there seems to be an assumption that basket interference or goal tending in the last two minutes of the game is somehow more important than at any other point of the game -- which is obviously not the case. Why not just allow for a review of all such calls? We literally can go an entire 5-6 game stretch without single a single basket interference call, so it's not like this rule would add anything more than one minute tops to average game times.
This one reminds me of Michael Lewis' new podcast, Against the Rules. The first episode is about NBA referees and instant replay. I'm not quite sure why they limit it to just the final 2 minutes, maybe just so it doesn't slow down the game? But like you said, those calls are so rare that it likely wouldn't slow it down much.

https://atrpodcast.com/

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 5th, 2019, 3:20 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm
USU78 wrote:
That is fairly standard language included in almost every employment agreement since the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. The EEOC has a group of protected groups for employment purposes, which includes folks with physical or mental disabilities. It is fairly common practice to apply these same protections beyond just employment and my understanding is that the Justice Department and Education Department typically apply these same standards for educational purposes as well.
Well, if you're going to go get all serious, I'll just share these five little words: "Congress shall make no law ...."

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » June 5th, 2019, 3:23 pm

USU78 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 3:20 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Well, if you're going to go get all serious, I'll just share these five little words: "Congress shall make no law ...."
Don't make ProvoAggie move this to the Sandbox :joking:
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
ThunderAggie

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 5th, 2019, 3:33 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:59 pm
This one reminds me of Michael Lewis' new podcast, Against the Rules. The first episode is about NBA referees and instant replay. I'm not quite sure why they limit it to just the final 2 minutes, maybe just so it doesn't slow down the game? But like you said, those calls are so rare that it likely wouldn't slow it down much.
Yeah, I'm a big Michael Lewis fan. I've read all his books ever since I read Liar's Poker back in about 1990 or 1991 and found it completely fascinating and engaging. His podcast is definitely worth a listen.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » June 5th, 2019, 3:43 pm

"5) Players will be assessed a technical foul and ejection if they use derogatory language aimed at an opponent regarding race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability."

This had to be put in place as it has been an issue at some games....for example, when Univesity of Nevada-Reno played Utah State University, the Utah State fans, players, and staff were insulting Nevada players based on their race! That is not right and needed to be stopped!

;)
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
USU78

LKGates

Post by LKGates » June 5th, 2019, 4:23 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 3:43 pm
"5) Players will be assessed a technical foul and ejection if they use derogatory language aimed at an opponent regarding race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability."

This had to be put in place as it has been an issue at some games....for example, when Univesity of Nevada-Reno played Utah State University, the Utah State fans, players, and staff were insulting Nevada players based on their race! That is not right and needed to be stopped!

;)
Please tell me that being a BYU-P Tiger is not a protected class.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 2):
USU78sneed

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

3futureaggies

Post by 3futureaggies » June 5th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Is it still ok to yell "SHUT THE EFF UP"?
These users thanked the author 3futureaggies for the post:
treesap32

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » June 5th, 2019, 5:40 pm

USU78 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 3:20 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
I thought it was funny... :noidea:

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 5th, 2019, 7:53 pm

USU78 wrote:
So ... this "or disability" concerns me. If players can't make fun of other players for being congenitally unable to make a free throw or are inveterate mono turners (they can, for example, only go left, never right), how long before our students are "T"'d up and shut up?
Two words: UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES ,,,,,,, Watch this monster grow over time. Additionally, how is someone with a "disability" even playing college basketball?
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
LKGates

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » June 5th, 2019, 10:08 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 7:53 pm
USU78 wrote:
So ... this "or disability" concerns me. If players can't make fun of other players for being congenitally unable to make a free throw or are inveterate mono turners (they can, for example, only go left, never right), how long before our students are "T"'d up and shut up?
Two words: UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES ,,,,,,, Watch this monster grow over time. Additionally, how is someone with a "disability" even playing college basketball?

These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post:
NVAggie

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 6th, 2019, 12:49 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Really?

https://www.thesportster.com/basketball ... abilities/

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 6th, 2019, 2:14 pm

That list of the top 15 NBA players who overcame disabilities has at least one glaring omission: Kobe Bryant. He spent his entire career with his head lodged up his own a$$. If that's not a disability, I don't know what is.

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » June 6th, 2019, 2:36 pm

That list is crap. Most of those are treatable medical conditions not actual disabilities.

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 6th, 2019, 3:05 pm

deltaaggie wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 2:36 pm
That list is crap. Most of those are treatable medical conditions not actual disabilities.
https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resou ... er-ada.htm

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » June 7th, 2019, 5:17 pm

So how does the new 3-point line affect the Aggies?
If they shoot well, it opens the middle a lot more for big men. Can they do it well enough to pull the defense out? If they can't , we are going to see a lot more mid-range jump shots. As a good passing team, there should be some opportunity to move the ball underneath but it requires some success at the new distance.

I am guessing that scoring will drop, perhaps quite a bit, for teams that don't have capable shooters.

1 for 3 (a low end number) from the old distance was an effective shooting percentage of 50%.

1 for 4 (a cherry picked low end number) from the new distance would be an effective 37.5%. No defense is going to work too hard to guard that.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » June 7th, 2019, 7:41 pm

It will help Queta inside, he needs to develop some low post moves and become a consistent scorer. That will help him more as a prospect right now than becoming a stretch player like some have mentioned in here. It will make it even more critical to have a rim protector.

Offensively, we know Merrill can shoot it. Hopefully Miller can find the range. It will make it a little more challenging for most of the guys to shoot it from 3.

Did they move the line back in the Spectrum? How about the training courts?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 7th, 2019, 10:34 pm

3futureaggies wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 5:03 pm
Is it still ok to yell "SHUT THE EFF UP"?
If it's not, I'm in some serious trouble.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » June 7th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 7:41 pm
It will help Queta inside, he needs to develop some low post moves and become a consistent scorer. That will help him more as a prospect right now than becoming a stretch player like some have mentioned in here. It will make it even more critical to have a rim protector.

Offensively, we know Merrill can shoot it. Hopefully Miller can find the range. It will make it a little more challenging for most of the guys to shoot it from 3.

Rumor has it, AKAggie is working on it now, with some blue tape and a tard stick.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
NVAggie

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » June 9th, 2019, 9:24 pm

LKGates wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:

Rumor has it, AKAggie is working on it now, with some blue tape and a tard stick.
I was asked not to try to mark on the court, something about “professionals on the way” and “lack of pants.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » June 9th, 2019, 10:19 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
LKGates wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:

I was asked not to try to mark on the court, something about “professionals on the way” and “lack of pants.”

Honestly. How are you suposed to accurately measure that last 1 3/4 inches with your pants on?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Gretsch for the post (total 6):
aceofspadeskbNVAggiedonlarson8bigblueTheAKAggiesam tingey

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 10th, 2019, 12:07 am

Gretsch wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 10:19 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:
LKGates wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:

Honestly. How are you suposed to accurately measure that last 1 3/4 inches with your pants on?

This is the best insult in usufans history.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
bigblue

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 10th, 2019, 7:46 am

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » June 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Gretsch wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
LKGates wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:

JERK!

Hail Aggies!

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » June 10th, 2019, 11:21 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
Gretsch wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
LKGates wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:

JERK!

Sorry, I messed up the math. How are you supposed to measure the last 13 3/4 inches with your pants on. Obviously the yard stick helps with the first 21 feet.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » June 11th, 2019, 12:23 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Oh noes! What ever will we do???

AgWrld
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AgWrld » June 11th, 2019, 10:51 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
What exactly are you afraid of happening?

Locked Previous topicNext topic