Aggie legends podcast with David Collette is up

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Aggie legends podcast with David Collette is up

Post by aggies22 » June 14th, 2019, 11:22 am

dyedblue wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 10:30 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:And so he stayed in touch with his aau coach who didn't give him good advice about transfer rules. Then usu compliance didn't want to let him go after he started the season. It's a understandable situation from those perspectives on both sides. I don't think that Collette would disagree to this point.

However, Utah compliance (misnomer) obviously didn't want to be responsible for breaking the rules. It's no surprise that the slc media (not really local btw) pandered to the U.

It's also no surprise to me that any 21 or 22 yr old would take Utah's offer when dealing with a bad coach like Duryea. Duryea is in larger part responsible for this than Collette. And Utah compliance is definitely a misnomer.

I don't like seeing Collette thrown under the bus here in this thread because #1 he didn't really want to leave the university he loved and #2 wasn't left with much of a choice because a bad coach like Duryea will ruin your basketball career when you have as much potential as he did. That said, I really don't hold him responsible for what happened that much because Utah should've told him that he couldn't transfer under those conditions even though they were interested. And Duryea should've pulled his head out of his a$$ sooner but I don't think he could've done that. He wasn't capable and I still don't think he's capable of being an hc.
Are you related to David?

Duryea was an average coach, but he is a decent person. He's an easy target here because of the success Smith has had.

Collette knowingly violated rules so did Utah. That's a fact. I'm not going to absolve them just because TD wasn't a good coach. Like I said before, Collette had one of the lowest basketball IQs I have ever seen so I find it full of hypocrisy that he calls out TD for being too dumb to coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can tell you with 100% certainty that AggieFBObsession is in no way related to David Collette. He just has a different take on the situation that many of you do and that's okay.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 14th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Since none of us in this thread actually attended the practices about which DC complains (at least no one has copped to being there), we have no idea just how poorly TD ran his practices and coached his team (other than the results and the word of several players). I was as upset, angry, and hurt as any fan about DC's abrupt departure, but his story makes sense. I made far worse decisions when I was his age than his decision to transfer the way he did. Hard to fault him much for the way he approached things under the circumstance. Sounds like he really tried to make things work, but TD was not showing any signs of improvement and DC saw greener pastures. DC may legitimately not have known what he did violated the rules until after the fact. If blame is to be cast based on the facts as we know them, I would estimate that it should be assigned 68% to TD, 26% to UofU, 3% to the AAU coach, 2% to DC, and 1% to usufan5477, thansen, and USUBlue (just because).
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 3):
MadmartiganAggieFBObsessionPacobag

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 14th, 2019, 1:18 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Since none of us in this thread actually attended the practices about which DC complains (at least no one has copped to being there), we have no idea just how poorly TD ran his practices and coached his team (other than the results and the word of several players). I was as upset, angry, and hurt as any fan about DC's abrupt departure, but his story makes sense. I made far worse decisions when I was his age than his decision to transfer the way he did. Hard to fault him much for the way he approached things under the circumstance. Sounds like he really tried to make things work, but TD was not showing any signs of improvement and DC saw greener pastures. DC may legitimately not have known what he did violated the rules until after the fact. If blame is to be cast based on the facts as we know them, I would estimate that it should be assigned 68% to TD, 26% to UofU, 3% to the AAU coach, 2% to DC, and 1% to usufan5477, thansen, and USUBlue (just because).
Well done.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » June 14th, 2019, 1:50 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Didnt you already assign him 68% of the blame? :headscratch:
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22StanfordAggie

Jjoey53

Aggie legends podcast with David Collette is up

Post by Jjoey53 » June 14th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Having read all of the above, I have come to conclude Colette was, is and will always be a d bag, who willingly, along with his AAU coach and Coach Krystal cheated and violated NCAA, fresh off of a Mission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jjoey53 on June 14th, 2019, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
aggies22

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » June 15th, 2019, 10:30 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 9:28 am
And so he stayed in touch with his aau coach who didn't give him good advice about transfer rules. Then usu compliance didn't want to let him go after he started the season. It's a understandable situation from those perspectives on both sides. I don't think that Collette would disagree to this point.

However, Utah compliance (misnomer) obviously didn't want to be responsible for breaking the rules. It's no surprise that the slc media (not really local btw) pandered to the U.

It's also no surprise to me that any 21 or 22 yr old would take Utah's offer when dealing with a bad coach like Duryea. Duryea is in larger part responsible for this than Collette. And Utah compliance is definitely a misnomer.

I don't like seeing Collette thrown under the bus here in this thread because #1 he didn't really want to leave the university he loved and #2 wasn't left with much of a choice because a bad coach like Duryea will ruin your basketball career when you have as much potential as he did. That said, I really don't hold him responsible for what happened that much because Utah should've told him that he couldn't transfer under those conditions even though they were interested. And Duryea should've pulled his head out of his a$$ sooner but I don't think he could've done that. He wasn't capable and I still don't think he's capable of being an hc.
I don't think it's throwing him under the bus to say that he's an adult, he knew what he was doing was against the rules, he did it anyway, and then he lied about it. Accepting the consequences of your poor choices is part of being an adult, and blaming others for those poor choices is childish.

Did he have good reason to leave? Yes
Should he have left? Yes
Should he have left the way he did, knowing it was against the rules? No
Should he be absolved of that because of other people's (Tim and Utah) actions? No

He was wrong. That doesn't mean he can't learn from it and become better, but laying blame and lying are not the way to do that.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
ProvoAggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 15th, 2019, 3:28 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 10:30 am
Should he have left the way he did, knowing it was against the rules? No
Should he be absolved of that because of other people's (Tim and Utah) actions? No

He was wrong. That doesn't mean he can't learn from it and become better, but laying blame and lying are not the way to do that.
I'm not convinced he clearly understood that rules being broken at the time he announced his decision. Word had been passed through a close friend, aau coach. That wasn't the same as him contacting Utah directly. We don't know what contact that his aau coach was having, if it was in casual conversation or a formal discussion in someone's office.

Secondly I've made a lot of dumb choices in my youth some of which broke rules and some choices that broke rules which were for my best in the end. We've all done such things. An adult in his 40s or 50s or whatever duryeas age or the non-compliance department at Utah is a different story.

Once he made his abrupt announcement after the preseason there was no turning back.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » June 15th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Dave rice knew it was a violation and called TD to let him know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post:
aggies22

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 18th, 2019, 11:41 am

AgMan21 wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 1:20 pm
Anyone want to give a synopsis? Is it worth listening to if I have little to no interest in Collette and would only want to hear about how/why he left? Thanks in advance for the heads up.
FYI: the key discussion about why Collette left and the timing of his departure starts around the 32-minute mark.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 18th, 2019, 2:19 pm

BTW, it is interesting that at the time of the transfer, ESPN and other outlets reported that Collette stated he was leaving in part because Duryea mishandled an incident involving one player sucker-punching another player; I thought he also said he was unhappy with some of the language Duryea used in practice. He doesn't mention either thing in the podcast.

Further note: the part where Collette talks about his transfer begins at the 41-minute mark:

"I mean, we can disclose this, right, now that I'm graduated?"

"That day, I snapped at Coach Duryea in practice and kind of argued with him."

"That next day, I ended up calling my AAU coach, Evric [Gray], and talking to him about it."

"He said, it sounds like it's not going to work [at USU]. . . . Sounds like to me you're leaving."

"So now we go back to at the end of my freshman year when I was kind of getting those offers [from schools seeking to poach me after my freshman year]. He started reaching out to those schools for me, you know, what's still available? If I leave right now, who's got a spot available for me. And the easiest thing was, he talked to the coaches at Utah, and they said Jakob Poeltl's here, you know, he's an All American player. Sounds like he's going to the NBA next year. They're going to have a huge hole. So it just made sense."

"So talking with people in my corner, we had to figure out rules and stuff. So to our understanding, we didn't know a whole lot, but what had to happen was I needed to leave without playing in an actual game. So . . . we're playing our first regular season game, I think it was on a Friday, I think we were playing Weber State, and I ended up leaving . . . actually telling them I was leaving on Wednesday, I think it was two days before. . . . We thought if I played in that Weber State game I would have lost two years essentially, because I would have used my eligibility as well as sitting out another year for transferring . . . so that's why the decision was made two days before the actual game because I didn't want to sacrifice my eligibility."

Admission of knowledge of actual rules violation begins at 1:00:30 mark:

Q: What it really looked like from a fan's standpoint, it looked like Utah called you one day and said "hey, you need to get out of there." . . . Any validity to that?

A: Not at all. No. The way I transferred technically is not legal.

Q: Why?

A: The rule is that I can't have contact with any school. They blocked me, right? So I can't contact any school to talk to them about going there. Neither can I have a family member, a friend, anybody, . . . I can't have anybody communicate with the school for me. And what happened is I had people communicate for me. So we were kind of following the rules in that I never talked to Utah personally, but I had contact with them. And that is the only reason I left. I wouldn't have left if I didn't know I could go somewhere and play, right? So I wasn't going to just up-and-leave and uproot everything and risk it. . . . It needed to be "where can I get a scholarship." . . . I needed a place where someone was going to hold a scholarship for me for the middle of the year. . . . So they were dropping a scholarship for half of a season is what they did for me. . . . So that's the only really illegal thing that happened was that I had someone talk to them for me. . . . We violated NCAA rules.

Q: So we are all joking when he says that, right?

A: I am not joking. It happened.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 18th, 2019, 2:26 pm

I listened to very little of it. Too bad the NCAA will not nail Utah, they save the penalties for mid majors. This interview just reinforces my previously stated opinions of David.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 18th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Well now we know specifically contacted UNLV as well. Evric Gray played there.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 18th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 2:26 pm
I listened to very little of it. Too bad the NCAA will not nail Utah, they save the penalties for mid majors. This interview just reinforces my previously stated opinions of David.

While I agree he acted dishonestly and desperately, and left the team in a lurch days before the season, if you listen to the whole podcast I feel like there is some sincerity that shines through. I think what made me soften my original stance on the whole affair was seeing how much he loved Utah State and Logan but hated playing for Duryea, and realizing how stuck that would make me feel as a person. I can sympathize with him much more now than I would've ever thought possible.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Cast Iron Aggie

sneed

Post by sneed » June 19th, 2019, 9:46 pm

I liked hearing his side of the story. I would have liked to have heard more about the “recruiting” done after His Freshman season.

I don’t hate him but after all this time he still doesn’t get it though. He was mad and didn’t get why he doesn’t get a scholarship for one of his years in college? Who cares about this kid missing a scholarship for a year? Everyone knows the rules.

USU spent 3 years of scholarships on a kid that played ONE year! He left too late to find someone for that year and made it harder even for the next year - most of the recruiting for the next year is done in the summer - coach D didn’t know he was leaving so wasn’t looking for a replacement.

It all worked out for the best though. I think coach D would have lasted at least an extra year if D’cole(sp?) stayed. - the position we struggled with the most was Center those years.

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » June 20th, 2019, 1:00 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 9:28 am
And so he stayed in touch with his aau coach who didn't give him good advice about transfer rules. Then usu compliance didn't want to let him go after he started the season. It's a understandable situation from those perspectives on both sides. I don't think that Collette would disagree to this point.

Good thing Larry K helped Deek Hole (sp?) reach his full potential. If it weren’t for Larry K, he may have never averaged almost exactly the same stats his final 2 years in college as he did as a Freshman at USU, with no future in basketball afterward. Coaching done right. :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author Murkymerk for the post:
JSHarvey

Locked Previous topicNext topic