Article about poaching problem for mid majors

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Article about poaching problem for mid majors

Post by Madmartigan » June 17th, 2019, 8:55 pm

https://www.standard.net/sports/poachin ... 2b6ea.html

Randy Rahe has had to fight off poaching problems as well.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 4):
aggies22ChicAggieBank Shotcrazywookie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Article about poaching problem for mid majors

Post by aggies22 » June 18th, 2019, 6:14 am

This is a must read for every mid-major or lower level conference college hoops fan. Great find!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 18th, 2019, 6:44 am

Yeah, but did you read what Brad Rock wrote? The transfer portal fixed it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 18th, 2019, 7:38 am

dyedblue wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 6:44 am
Yeah, but did you read what Brad Rock wrote? The transfer portal fixed it all.

Yes I did. I believe I called his article "lame a$$" in another thread.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 18th, 2019, 7:50 am

You have to think that if this problem is as prevalent as the articles have made it, both Sam and Queta have gotten lots of calls from major programs. I can't imagine Sams inbox right after TD was let go.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 18th, 2019, 8:00 am

Madmartigan wrote:You have to think that if this problem is as prevalent as the articles have made it, both Sam and Queta have gotten lots of calls from major programs. I can't imagine Sams inbox right after TD was let go.
...Koby McEwen...

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 18th, 2019, 8:32 am

I think the NCAA created the transfer portal because bigger teams poaching smaller schools players was becoming so prevalent and obvious that they HAD to do something or a major school was going to get busted in such a transparent way that the NCAA simply wouldn't be able to turn a blind eye. And even then when a player (Collette) who transferred comes out and publicly ADMITS to his transfer being facilitated by the tampering school and the NCAA STILL doesn't seem to care. To top it all off the NCAA has managed to screw the transfer portal idea up by granting immediate eligibility to whomever they choose in the most random way possible.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 18th, 2019, 9:11 am

The NCAA just wants to keep the power schools happy. They don't want to rock the boat and have them leave. It is really weird to me and something that I don't really enjoy about college sports.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aggies22

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 18th, 2019, 9:27 am

The NCAA can probably clean this up. It is not just the big schools..AAU coaches and often parents facilitate a lot of this. The Portal is a positive step but more can be done.

However, if a kid wants to leave they will leave regardless of illegal contact or not. Nevada lost a couple of kids to P5 before the Portal was in place but both really wanted to leave. Cole Huff thought he was under recruited and Malik Story's parents thought he should have been the focus of the offense rather than Babbitt.. Those are players that undermine a coach and it is better they go.

The Portal does provide at least some transparency.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
aggies22

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 18th, 2019, 9:40 am

Fascinating article. Maybe this is a piece of "investigative journalism" that will get the NCAA to sit up and take notice about the illegal poaching problem generally, and the Utah-Collette situation specifically. Naaahhh. Probably not.

My favorite takeaway from the article was this little blurb from Joel Bolomboy:
He said he stuck with Weber State each offseason for the same reasons he originally committed to WSU over schools like Auburn, Clemson and Florida State: he felt big programs just threw their names around and assumed you'd be impressed, while Weber sat him down and outlined a career path for his success.
Two things here:

(1) Bolomboy's resistance to suitors who worked to convince him to leave for a larger stage highlights the importance of non-P5 schools recruiting high "character" players who will stick with their commitments and remain loyal to the program.

(2) Bolomboy's decision to resist those suitors seems largely premised on Weber State and its coaching staff doing a great job of selling him on why the Weber State path would be better for him than the path offered at Auburn, Clemson, or Florida State. I'm sure it goes without saying, but one would hope USU and its coaching staff are able to tell a similar story. Unfortunately, USU doesn't have any recent Damian Lillard-type success stories in its arsenal (or even an Eddie Gill or Joel Bolomboy story), underscoring how important Queta will be to USU's recruiting efforts if he can make the jump to the NBA successfully in another year or two.

As a side note, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed with extremely cautious optimism that even Sam might even get a shot at the NBA as a poor man's JJ Redick-type (with better defense) given the NBA's emphasis on the corner three -- which would seem to be significantly more likely if Merrill can boost his 3P% back up to the 45%-46% range that he shot as a freshman and sophomore. Anyone know if Sam has the same crazy work ethic that Jaycee had? That might be his path. I've always said his basketball IQ, on-court movement, ball-handling, and passing reminds me a lot of Chris Mullin, and I stand by that. His age (24?) means he will almost certainly go undrafted, but if he plays as well as he did last season, he will almost certainly get a shot in the NBA summer leagues. Maybe he can impress enough that he can either take the 15th spot on a roster, get a "two-way" contract, or end up impressing in the G League. I believe Jaycee would have been given more of a chance if he were taller than 6'2". At 6'5", Merrill doesn't have the same "tweener" handicap.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 18th, 2019, 9:51 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 8:32 am
I think the NCAA created the transfer portal because bigger teams poaching smaller schools players was becoming so prevalent and obvious that they HAD to do something or a major school was going to get busted in such a transparent way that the NCAA simply wouldn't be able to turn a blind eye. And even then when a player (Collette) who transferred comes out and publicly ADMITS to his transfer being facilitated by the tampering school and the NCAA STILL doesn't seem to care. To top it all off the NCAA has managed to screw the transfer portal idea up by granting immediate eligibility to whomever they choose in the most random way possible.
That's the biggest problem- some guys get automatic eligibility and some don't and it seems highly arbitrary. The NCAA has to walk a fine line between continuing to print the cash they have been in major sports from the big programs and enforcing the rules. In almost every case, they seem to side with the money rather than the rules.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 18th, 2019, 10:56 am

ChicAggie wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 9:40 am
Fascinating article. Maybe this is a piece of "investigative journalism" that will get the NCAA to sit up and take notice about the illegal poaching problem generally, and the Utah-Collette situation specifically. Naaahhh. Probably not.

My favorite takeaway from the article was this little blurb from Joel Bolomboy:
He said he stuck with Weber State each offseason for the same reasons he originally committed to WSU over schools like Auburn, Clemson and Florida State: he felt big programs just threw their names around and assumed you'd be impressed, while Weber sat him down and outlined a career path for his success.
Two things here:

(1) Bolomboy's resistance to suitors who worked to convince him to leave for a larger stage highlights the importance of non-P5 schools recruiting high "character" players who will stick with their commitments and remain loyal to the program.

(2) Bolomboy's decision to resist those suitors seems largely premised on Weber State and its coaching staff doing a great job of selling him on why the Weber State path would be better for him than the path offered at Auburn, Clemson, or Florida State. I'm sure it goes without saying, but one would hope USU and its coaching staff are able to tell a similar story. Unfortunately, USU doesn't have any recent Damian Lillard-type success stories in its arsenal (or even an Eddie Gill or Joel Bolomboy story), underscoring how important Queta will be to USU's recruiting efforts if he can make the jump to the NBA successfully in another year or two.

As a side note, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed with extremely cautious optimism that even Sam might even get a shot at the NBA as a poor man's JJ Redick-type (with better defense) given the NBA's emphasis on the corner three -- which would seem to be significantly more likely if Merrill can boost his 3P% back up to the 45%-46% range that he shot as a freshman and sophomore. Anyone know if Sam has the same crazy work ethic that Jaycee had? That might be his path. I've always said his basketball IQ, on-court movement, ball-handling, and passing reminds me a lot of Chris Mullin, and I stand by that. His age (24?) means he will almost certainly go undrafted, but if he plays as well as he did last season, he will almost certainly get a shot in the NBA summer leagues. Maybe he can impress enough that he can either take the 15th spot on a roster, get a "two-way" contract, or end up impressing in the G League. I believe Jaycee would have been given more of a chance if he were taller than 6'2". At 6'5", Merrill doesn't have the same "tweener" handicap.
Had NBA teams had the ability to carry a 15-man roster back then, Spencer Nelson, Desmond Penigar and Jaycee Carroll would have all made teams. Jerry Sloan famously said that if he could have kept 13 guys Spencer would have been his 13th guy.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » June 18th, 2019, 12:12 pm

The NCAA is a joke. They destroy the weak for minor things and protect the powerful from major ones.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
aggies22

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 19th, 2019, 9:25 am

bluegrouse wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 12:12 pm
The NCAA is a joke. They destroy the weak for minor things and protect the powerful from major ones.
It is a not for profit that serves other not for profit institutions to make them more profits. It's a strange setup that causes an array of problems.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic