Enjoy the ride

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Texasaggie1
Has thanked: 0

Enjoy the ride

Post by Texasaggie1 » October 25th, 2019, 8:31 am

This is from a write up on ESPN talking about coaching hot seats:

The top tier of non-high-major coaches to get calls next spring likely includes Utah State's Craig Smith, VCU's Mike Rhoades, UNC Greensboro's Wes Miller and Charleston's Earl Grant. Smith won 28 games and went to the NCAA tournament in his first season at Utah State, and has a legitimate top-25 team this season.

Aggie in Boise

Re: Enjoy the ride

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 25th, 2019, 11:32 am

Utah may be looking for a new head coach after this season. Larry makes 3.4 million per year which is about 5 times what Smith makes.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » October 25th, 2019, 11:36 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 11:32 am
Utah may be looking for a new head coach after this season. Larry makes 3.4 million per year which is about 5 times what Smith makes.
My worst nightmare.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 25th, 2019, 12:20 pm

USUstudent13 wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 11:36 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
My worst nightmare.
Amen

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » October 25th, 2019, 12:50 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 12:20 pm
USUstudent13 wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
My worst nightmare.
Amen
I doubt Smith would do a move like that. If he leaves, I could see him going to Minnesota, Nebraska, or a Midwest school closer to his roots.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » October 25th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Would he though? I know it's more money, but how much is enough? $6-700,000 or closer to a million in Cache Valley is plenty. Also, He has shown he can be ranked in the top 25 here at USU. If his family is happy here, does he really make that move so quickly? One quick conversation with Gary Anderson ought to do the trick.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
No chance in hell.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » October 25th, 2019, 2:10 pm

I'm all for him staying and seeing what he can do, but you can't fault the guy for taking a pay day. I agree though no way he looks to stay in Utah if he leaves.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Full

Post by Full » October 25th, 2019, 2:26 pm

RigAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Would he though? I know it's more money, but how much is enough? $6-700,000 or closer to a million in Cache Valley is plenty. Also, He has shown he can be ranked in the top 25 here at USU. If his family is happy here, does he really make that move so quickly? One quick conversation with Gary Anderson ought to do the trick.
I personally think that way, but I don’t see it happening. I would guess more than half of all coaches that could poach from USU were hired after Duryea. Air Force and Boise State are the only teams that have the same coach when Duryea was hired. I think when the decision was made to look outside the program for Smith, it was accepted that he was going to leave if successful. He’s also built the program much faster than anyone expected. If he decides to move on, he will have my respect as long as it’s not next weekend (David).

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 25th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Utah has a $12,000,000 payout if they fire Larry.

Logan does not have that much to offer a head coach, and his family. There is more to it than being able to buy a big house. Any young coach with real ambition would leave for double the salary, these guy's live for that challenge. I do not see why he would stay when someone offers millions in earnings.

I do not believe he got a raise after the last season. I hope I'm wrong about that
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
EndoftheBench

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » October 25th, 2019, 5:41 pm

We will just have to see how much influence his wife has. Craig said his wife loved it so much in Logan that she doesn't want him to take his family anywhere else.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 25th, 2019, 6:49 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:We will just have to see how much influence his wife has. Craig said his wife loved it so much in Logan that she doesn't want him to take his family anywhere else.
Coaches are mercenaries. I see no way Smith stays with a huge payday looming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » October 25th, 2019, 6:54 pm

USUstudent13 wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
My worst nightmare.
Not quite mine. My worst nightmare would be a straight-up trade with Utah. Our HC for theirs.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 25th, 2019, 7:33 pm

RigAggie wrote:Would he though? I know it's more money, but how much is enough? $6-700,000 or closer to a million in Cache Valley is plenty. Also, He has shown he can be ranked in the top 25 here at USU. If his family is happy here, does he really make that move so quickly? One quick conversation with Gary Anderson ought to do the trick.
Not sure if serious. 3000000 > 1000000.

Stew made some of you delusional, other than him they’ve all left.

Hail Aggies!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 25th, 2019, 8:47 pm

I’m sure a couple million a year will convince her to move
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 25th, 2019, 8:55 pm

RigAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 1:58 pm
One quick conversation with Gary might go something like this:

Gary: Craig, go where the money is, like I did, because if things don't work out Utah State will take you back.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 25th, 2019, 9:03 pm

aggies22 wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 2:05 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
No chance in hell.
I agree with you. Not going to happen.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 25th, 2019, 9:28 pm

We MIGHT be able to keep Smith a little longer IF good head coaching jobs don't open up elsewhere.

Below is a link to an article titled "College Basketball Coaches on the Hot Seat Heading Into the 2019-20 Season"

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-b ... 0-24-2019/

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 26th, 2019, 8:16 am

The fact that it took 11 months to finish our OOC and we had to settle on two crappy lower division schools to finish out an already crappy home-slate might have some influence too.

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » October 26th, 2019, 8:42 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:The fact that it took 11 months to finish our OOC and we had to settle on two crappy lower division schools to finish out an already crappy home-slate might have some influence too.
This wasn't on the coaching staff, as has been discussed. If they knew they needed to find those games last February it's a different story.

These users thanked the author lcrasmus for the post:
ProvoAggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 26th, 2019, 9:53 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 8:16 am
The fact that it took 11 months to finish our OOC and we had to settle on two crappy lower division schools to finish out an already crappy home-slate might have some influence too.
I do not know everything about how come it was so hard to fill the schedule, but of course it is difficult to get teams to come into Logan, might be a factor. One thing he does not like is the travel, he will get some charter flights this season which might help.

As far as his wife loving it here, what do you think he is going to say ? His job is talking kids to come here. He also needs support from the community. That does not mean that they do not like it here, but when he say's to her hey we can make $2 million per season with a $8 million payout to move why would she say anything but oh hell yes. Logan is a decent place, but is not hardly the only decent place to live.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » October 26th, 2019, 11:26 am

There aren't 10's of thousands of super high paying D1 college basketball head coaching jobs. If you get a lucrative offer in a situation that gives you a good chance to succeed, you most likely take it if you are driven to maximize your potential. Even if Logan was your favorite place on earth, why not go earn $10-20 million over the next 5-8 years and put yourself in a situation more likely to help you achieve your loftiest goals (national championship, NBA coaching, etc.). If Coach Smith's dream is to turn Utah State into the next Gonzaga, then maybe he stays even after sustained success and we get some donors to fork out more money to pay him closer to market value for that kind of success.

I believe happiness generally correlates more with one's attitude vs. geographical location.

We could make a list of why Logan is a great place to live: Relatively safe, small town feel with decent amenities, beautiful mountains, outdoor recreation, relatively low cost of living, proximity to Yellowstone NP....
We could also make a list of why Logan is not a great place to live: Cold winters, minimal diversity, distance from a real airport, traffic, job opportunities, inversions, proximity to the Yellowstone Supervolcano ( :devil: )...
Neither list changes reality and item importance varies by individual.

I'm gonna enjoy the ride and I will be very happy if Coach Smith sticks around and builds USU into a national powerhouse.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
oleblu111

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » October 27th, 2019, 8:16 pm

We need to be prepared to pay him well, 1 mil or more real soon. Hopefully, money bags bigger than my donation level will help.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 27th, 2019, 9:23 pm

If he is successful this year then I would be all for a pay raise and extension. I don't get worked up about not giving him an extension or raise after 1 year. He did the job he was expected to do and got the extra bonuses that were in his contract. Sure if we give him a raise and contract extension the buyout will be bigger, but if we give him a a raise to $1MM/year that is nothing to power 5 schools that will pay him $2.5MM/year. I am just going to enjoy this season and hopefully it is as special as last year. If we do have a great year and he does leave at least the job profile will be a lot better than when Duryea was fired.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 28th, 2019, 8:30 am

I don't even worry about this. The Smith hire just reminded me that a good coach can turn around a team really fast. Winners win. That is the expectation. As the stewards to the program, we need to encourage more fans to get involved. We need to find more money. Maybe we will keep a Coach Smith one day. It will take work from us.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
oleblu111

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » October 29th, 2019, 1:22 pm

The Athletic has Smith as one of the 25 up and coming coaches.

Craig Smith, Utah State head coach. It took a long time — nearly 20 years — before Smith snagged his first head coach job. But here’s the thing: He’s still just 46. He built winners at heralded Mayville State and South Dakota before landing at Utah State and leading the way to 28 wins, a share of the Mountain West regular-season title and an NCAA Tournament appearance last season. With a potential All-America guard in Sam Merrill and a good supporting cast, another run to March is plausible. If it happens, you’d guess the timing would be right for Smith to look hard at any power-conference job that opens.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » October 29th, 2019, 3:15 pm

For someone as good at their job as Craig Smith, it's not about the money. It's about the challenge and opportunity. $275k I'm sure went really far in Vermillion, SD. But Utah State opened up more opportunity to coach against better programs and more of a likelyhood of making the NCAA tournament in a league that more often than not will get two+ teams into the tournament. If Texas or Nebraska comes calling, sure the money will be better, but so will the competition and opportunity.

Some people may be happy leading a mid-tier company or team for forever, but others will want a new challenge. Few and far between are the folks who stick around more than 3-5 years, regardless of whether that be as a coach or employee of a company. The exciting new challenge and opportunity is what calls. The money just makes it easier to say yes.
These users thanked the author dhilk3785 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionoleblu111

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 29th, 2019, 6:25 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 3:15 pm
For someone as good at their job as Craig Smith, it's not about the money. It's about the challenge and opportunity. $275k I'm sure went really far in Vermillion, SD. But Utah State opened up more opportunity to coach against better programs and more of a likelyhood of making the NCAA tournament in a league that more often than not will get two+ teams into the tournament. If Texas or Nebraska comes calling, sure the money will be better, but so will the competition and opportunity.

Some people may be happy leading a mid-tier company or team for forever, but others will want a new challenge. Few and far between are the folks who stick around more than 3-5 years, regardless of whether that be as a coach or employee of a company. The exciting new challenge and opportunity is what calls. The money just makes it easier to say yes.
It's possible that Texas could come calling at the end of the season but highly unlikely that Nebraska will be looking for a replacement for Fred Hoiberg who is a first year coach at Nebraska. The Texas coach has a 13 million dollar buyout.

Locked Previous topicNext topic