Marco Anthony

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Marco Anthony

Post by slcagg » October 26th, 2019, 7:32 am

So BYU just had a transfer get eligible this year from Arizona. Anyway the same thing could happen for Anthony?

Roy McAvoy

Re: Marco Anthony

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 26th, 2019, 8:17 am

Transfer kids all over the country in basketball are getting eligible. It sure seems like Anthony could’ve. Makes me wonder how hard we even pushed for it.

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » October 26th, 2019, 8:43 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:Transfer kids all over the country in basketball are getting eligible. It sure seems like Anthony could’ve. Makes me wonder how hard we even pushed for it.
That's a weird judgement to be throwing at the staff with absolutely no supporting information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » October 26th, 2019, 9:18 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 8:17 am
Transfer kids all over the country in basketball are getting eligible. It sure seems like Anthony could’ve. Makes me wonder how hard we even pushed for it.
How? Is it based on how many credits they take? So if they take a lot of summer and fall semester classes? Thanks in advance.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 26th, 2019, 9:27 am

stewusu98 wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 9:18 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 8:17 am
How? Is it based on how many credits they take? So if they take a lot of summer and fall semester classes? Thanks in advance.
The things I’m seeing are mostly based on the coaching staff coming up with a really good and creative reason for the player to get the waiver. The NCAA then reviews it and grants the waiver.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » October 26th, 2019, 9:43 am

lcrasmus wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 8:43 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:Transfer kids all over the country in basketball are getting eligible. It sure seems like Anthony could’ve. Makes me wonder how hard we even pushed for it.
That's a weird judgement to be throwing at the staff with absolutely no supporting information.

Pretty much par for the course

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » October 26th, 2019, 11:35 am

Maybe saving his eligibility is better for the long-term health of our program. :noidea:
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 3):
oleblu111AggiesForeverAggieFBObsession

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » October 26th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Pacobag wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 11:35 am
Maybe saving his eligibility is better for the long-term health of our program. :noidea:
I had two thoughts on the situation:
1) Perhaps as a coach with integrity he was willing to follow the rules rather than "Work the system".
2) Exactly what Paco says here. Maybe the program needs Anthony more as a RS senior than as a "squeek him through the cracks" immediate transfer.

I feel good about either one of these. There are coaches who will bring players with them to their new school and work very hard to avoid the transfer consequences. (You can see in in Provo right now.) There are coaches who will put all their eggs in the current season and then bail to another job. (You saw it in Reno last year.)

Both Provo and Reno may come out just fine. But if I were to choose, I'd take Smith's (apparent) approach.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttAggiesForever

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 26th, 2019, 12:59 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Pacobag wrote:
1) Perhaps as a coach with integrity he was willing to follow the rules rather than "Work the system".
2) Exactly what Paco says here. Maybe the program needs Anthony more as a RS senior than as a "squeek him through the cracks" immediate transfer.

I feel good about either one of these. There are coaches who will bring players with them to their new school and work very hard to avoid the transfer consequences. (You can see in in Provo right now.) There are coaches who will put all their eggs in the current season and then bail to another job. (You saw it in Reno last year.)

Both Provo and Reno may come out just fine. But if I were to choose, I'd take Smith's (apparent) approach.
^ This. Smith knows best!
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
AggiesForever

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 26th, 2019, 2:16 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Pacobag wrote:

That was my exact thoughts in saying I wonder if the coaching staff had really pushed they could’ve got him eligible. Thanks for articulating it and typing it out. That’s all I meant by my comment. No need to lcrasmus to start taking shots at me personally.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 26th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Anyone have a line to asp coach about him?

Hail Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 26th, 2019, 3:36 pm

If we can get Marco AND a guy named Polo, I'm interested.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 26th, 2019, 3:53 pm

The coaching staff believes that Marco will be able to help offset some of the scoring that will be lost when Sam graduates.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
oleblu111AggieFBObsession

Locked Previous topicNext topic