We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
rAggie
Posts: 483
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 108 times
Contact:

We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by rAggie » November 11th, 2019, 12:27 am

Looking at available tickets, the sell rate for our next three games is nothing short of pathetic. It is unusual to have five home games (six if you count the exhibition) in such a compressed period of time. Couple that with mostly no name opponents, and we are missing key opportunities to pack the Spectrum for our best team in decades.

The $5 season ticket holder promotion for Montana State was fine, but the ticket office needs to do something creative to stoke the fire imo. If it were me, I would offer tickets to the next three games for $15. I suspect we will be fine once we get into conference play but for now we should be pounding the email list with promotions and offering some flash sales.



slcagg
Posts: 3546
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 255 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by slcagg » November 11th, 2019, 7:15 am

Good point. Just an idea. What are we ranked? 15? Why not 3 games for $15?
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Usu0505



Aggie84025
Posts: 1547
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 390 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by Aggie84025 » November 11th, 2019, 10:17 am

With the basketball game this Friday and the football game at 2pm on Saturday it seems you could do a promotion with tickets to both games for like $20.



TrueBlueAggie123
Posts: 153
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 5:32 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 12th, 2019, 9:43 am

Attendance has been great the first few games. Students are loud and have came out for every game so far. Attendance other then the students has been pretty great too so I really don’t know why we’re complaining.



rAggie
Posts: 483
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 108 times
Contact:

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by rAggie » November 12th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Go look at the ticket site. Far too many available tickets. Six games in two weeks is far out of the norm for our fan base and is fatiguing for people who aren’t season ticket holders. And I’m of the opinion that we should be near selling out given the quality and hype of this team. How many opportunities do you get to market a Top 20 team?

An empty seat does absolutely nothing positive.



User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2632
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by GUS » November 12th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Everywhere I go, I talk up this team. Everybody seems excited about it that I talk to. I'm a bit mystified that there aren't more people in the valley wanting to go see them. I only wish the S.L. media would talk about them more. If it was byu ranked 17, they would wet themselves trying to talk about it as much as they could.



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12492
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 489 times
Been thanked: 538 times
Contact:

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ProvoAggie » November 12th, 2019, 12:30 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 9:43 am
Attendance has been great the first few games. Students are loud and have came out for every game so far. Attendance other then the students has been pretty great too so I really don’t know why we’re complaining.
The first game had a lot of excitement around it and they also had a $5 ticket promotion for it. The 2nd game was against an in-state team that typically delivers solid crowds. The next 3 games don't currently have either of those things going for them. I'm hopeful that we'll see a decent crowd tonight but I'm not counting on it unfortunately.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
rAggie



rAggie
Posts: 483
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 108 times
Contact:

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by rAggie » November 12th, 2019, 2:04 pm

I'm not complaining so much as lamenting that it doesn't seem we are doing more. You have to capitalize on these opportunities when they present themselves. If I were in charge of ticketing and promotions, here is what I would be doing right now:

1) Have tickets for sale at multiple outlets in the valley. Frankly this should have been part of the Maverik agreement. $5 tickets good for seats in the top five rows of the Spectrum.

2) A package of tickets for tonight, Friday, and Tuesday's game, 3 tickets for $10.

3) A package deal of Friday's game against NC A&T and Saturday against Wyoming, $20 for both games. Even better if they could have a hotel stay deal attached to this. Maybe two tickets to each game and a hotel room for $100.

4) A family pack each game, 5 tickets and 5 vouchers for a drink and a hot dog for $40 or 50.

These early season games against middling competition are our chance to get new fans and old fans who have fallen away to "buy in" to the program again, sample the team, sense the excitement. I'd collect the emails of as many of the people as possible above and start marketing the hell out of them once conference play starts to ensure we sell out every single conference game for this team.

We know we can sell out the Spectrum. We have probably the best team we've had in 50 years, we should not be settling for crowds of 8,000-9,000. This team should be a ticket that if you don't have it a week in advance, you miss out.



User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ShowMeAggie » November 12th, 2019, 2:21 pm

I love it!
I propose that rAggie be appointed as lead marketing director for USU Athletics, effective immediately.
All in favor, say AYE! (any opposed...Nay)
Make it happen, rAggie!
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
NVAggie



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12492
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 489 times
Been thanked: 538 times
Contact:

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ProvoAggie » November 12th, 2019, 2:38 pm

rAggie wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 2:04 pm
If I were in charge of ticketing and promotions, here is what I would be doing right now:
I saw earlier today that the position is open...

https://careers-usu.icims.com/jobs/2136 ... ing%29/job
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
NVAggie



Aggie84025
Posts: 1547
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 390 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by Aggie84025 » November 12th, 2019, 3:03 pm

rAggie wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 2:04 pm
I'm not complaining so much as lamenting that it doesn't seem we are doing more. You have to capitalize on these opportunities when they present themselves. If I were in charge of ticketing and promotions, here is what I would be doing right now:

1) Have tickets for sale at multiple outlets in the valley. Frankly this should have been part of the Maverik agreement. $5 tickets good for seats in the top five rows of the Spectrum.

2) A package of tickets for tonight, Friday, and Tuesday's game, 3 tickets for $10.

3) A package deal of Friday's game against NC A&T and Saturday against Wyoming, $20 for both games. Even better if they could have a hotel stay deal attached to this. Maybe two tickets to each game and a hotel room for $100.

4) A family pack each game, 5 tickets and 5 vouchers for a drink and a hot dog for $40 or 50.

These early season games against middling competition are our chance to get new fans and old fans who have fallen away to "buy in" to the program again, sample the team, sense the excitement. I'd collect the emails of as many of the people as possible above and start marketing the hell out of them once conference play starts to ensure we sell out every single conference game for this team.

We know we can sell out the Spectrum. We have probably the best team we've had in 50 years, we should not be settling for crowds of 8,000-9,000. This team should be a ticket that if you don't have it a week in advance, you miss out.
You won me over. Seems like you are ready for the job and ready to take it to new levels.



rAggie
Posts: 483
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 108 times
Contact:

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by rAggie » November 12th, 2019, 5:30 pm

I’d absolutely love to work and dedicate my time to furthering the mission of USU and/or USU Athletics but something tells me they don’t pay as well as Adobe does 😞



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12492
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 489 times
Been thanked: 538 times
Contact:

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ProvoAggie » November 12th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Send like we needed something to get people here tonight.Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk




Blitz79
Posts: 1195
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by Blitz79 » November 12th, 2019, 9:30 pm

I wasn't that bad at the end. It was looking empty at 7pm though.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 5546
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 232 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by Imakeitrain » November 13th, 2019, 4:32 am

I fully understand that people on this board are willing to open up their pocketbooks and attend games- and are mostly saying what they believe would drive fans out. However, I get the feeling could be ranked #1 in the country and fans will still complain that ticket prices aren't $5. There are close 100,000 people from Providence to Smithfield- many of whom have the ability to get into games at no additional charge. So if we cannot sell out every night with a team with our current situation- never talk again about how "great the Aggie fans are"..


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 468
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 514 times
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 13th, 2019, 9:33 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 4:32 am
I fully understand that people on this board are willing to open up their pocketbooks and attend games- and are mostly saying what they believe would drive fans out. However, I get the feeling could be ranked #1 in the country and fans will still complain that ticket prices aren't $5. There are close 100,000 people from Providence to Smithfield- many of whom have the ability to get into games at no additional charge. So if we cannot sell out every night with a team with our current situation- never talk again about how "great the Aggie fans are"..
Totally. If it can't be sold out every night ever, that means Aggie fans aren't great and you should never mention it again. Disqualify everything across the board because you've made an over-the-top arbitrary statement in an online forum.

Solid logic from the man who makes iTrains.



rAggie
Posts: 483
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 108 times
Contact:

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by rAggie » November 13th, 2019, 11:49 am

It's not a matter of having great fans or not having great fans. The issue is purely that we had ~~6,500 people at a game last night, it was clear for some time that this game would have lesser attendance, and it's not clear what, if anything, was done to mitigate.

Here's the challenge faced here:

1) Six games (one an exhibition) in a 2.5 week period is higher than usual.
2) Only two of the games had built-in "special attraction" level excitement:
--Montana State - Season opener
--Weber State - in state opponent
3) Only one of the game, was any semblance of a special promotion ran: Montana State where season ticket holders could buy additional tickets for $5.

So my questions are: If we were willing to accept $5 per ticket for Montana State, why wouldn't we be willing to accept $5 per ticket for lesser attraction games of Denver, NCA&T, and UTSA?

Why aren't we running some other type of special attraction for the lesser games? Bring a jar of peanut butter and buy one get one free tickets. Baby races. Anything.

We should learn from the Minor League Baseball model of having a promotion at different games. We do this to *some* extent for football, but every basketball game should have a hook, or at minimum, these games where the opponent isn't going to draw a crowd should have a promotion. As it stands, I'm very concerned about attendance for NCA&T, UTSA, and then the Saint Katherine and Eastern Oregon games could be pure disaster.

It's probably too late to do anything meaningful for NCA&T and UTSA, but for the exhibition games in December, I'd like to see us partner with the Food Pantry and grant free admittance to anyone who brings a can of food and gives us a marketable email address. Consider it a gift back to the community or whatever you want, but those games are trash on our schedule and anything if we collect some food and use it as an opportunity to sell more tickets for the conference run, it would be a big win.

4,000 empty seats is 4,000 missed opportunities to grow a new paying fan.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
donlarson8



Imakeitrain
Posts: 5546
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 232 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by Imakeitrain » November 13th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 9:33 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 4:32 am
I fully understand that people on this board are willing to open up their pocketbooks and attend games- and are mostly saying what they believe would drive fans out. However, I get the feeling could be ranked #1 in the country and fans will still complain that ticket prices aren't $5. There are close 100,000 people from Providence to Smithfield- many of whom have the ability to get into games at no additional charge. So if we cannot sell out every night with a team with our current situation- never talk again about how "great the Aggie fans are"..
Totally. If it can't be sold out every night ever, that means Aggie fans aren't great and you should never mention it again. Disqualify everything across the board because you've made an over-the-top arbitrary statement in an online forum.

Solid logic from the man who makes iTrains.
Save it.

If we have to resort to $5 ticket gimmicks for the best team we've had in decades,then no- we aren't great.

That doesn't mean we don't have great fans, we have many great fans.

Out of the 100,000 in Cache Valley alone (not incuding SLC/Ogden/Utah County fans) we should be able to get people to attend without needing to go to $5 tickets.

It's not "bad" to not sellout. But if the claim is "USU has a dedicated fan base", then that dedication only going for $5, then we aren't backing up what our claim is. Our arena isn't THAT big. Other schools sell cheaper tickets, but they have larger capacity. We already have half the arena allocated to students. Is it really that unreasonable to think that for a top team in the country we cant fill out the other half? Or that students will completely fill out the half that they already paid for? For a team with "the best homecourt"

It's understandable that fans would be less inclined to attend when we weren't very good. But we are ranked. We were ranked pre-season. It's been a very long time since we were this well regarded before the season even started.

We have high expectations of this team. We should in turn also have higher expectations of ourselves to support the team.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketb ... ndance.pdf


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

Imakeitrain
Posts: 5546
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 232 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by Imakeitrain » November 13th, 2019, 12:44 pm

rAggie wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 11:49 am
It's not a matter of having great fans or not having great fans. The issue is purely that we had ~~6,500 people at a game last night, it was clear for some time that this game would have lesser attendance, and it's not clear what, if anything, was done to mitigate.

Here's the challenge faced here:

1) Six games (one an exhibition) in a 2.5 week period is higher than usual.
2) Only two of the games had built-in "special attraction" level excitement:
--Montana State - Season opener
--Weber State - in state opponent
3) Only one of the game, was any semblance of a special promotion ran: Montana State where season ticket holders could buy additional tickets for $5.

So my questions are: If we were willing to accept $5 per ticket for Montana State, why wouldn't we be willing to accept $5 per ticket for lesser attraction games of Denver, NCA&T, and UTSA?

Why aren't we running some other type of special attraction for the lesser games? Bring a jar of peanut butter and buy one get one free tickets. Baby races. Anything.

We should learn from the Minor League Baseball model of having a promotion at different games. We do this to *some* extent for football, but every basketball game should have a hook, or at minimum, these games where the opponent isn't going to draw a crowd should have a promotion. As it stands, I'm very concerned about attendance for NCA&T, UTSA, and then the Saint Katherine and Eastern Oregon games could be pure disaster.

It's probably too late to do anything meaningful for NCA&T and UTSA, but for the exhibition games in December, I'd like to see us partner with the Food Pantry and grant free admittance to anyone who brings a can of food and gives us a marketable email address. Consider it a gift back to the community or whatever you want, but those games are trash on our schedule and anything if we collect some food and use it as an opportunity to sell more tickets for the conference run, it would be a big win.

4,000 empty seats is 4,000 missed opportunities to grow a new paying fan.
I'm for creative promotions. I just dont think it should always be a "price" based promotion. I also think that the team itself deserves attendance.

$5 tickets sets a value for those seats- and I think it creates a trap you may have alluded to above. "$8 for Denver? But Montana State was only $5!" I don't the fan who makes that statement is an amazing fan.

I think given the team we have we should have better attendance regardless. Top teams, with "excellent fan bases" shouldn't be struggling at all to get fans in.

I think these ideas are good ideas. I'm just disappointed that fans aren't going to see one of the best teams in the country.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

Aggie84025
Posts: 1547
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 390 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by Aggie84025 » November 13th, 2019, 12:50 pm

This a super fun team to watch. I was not able to make it last night, but gave my tickets to someone who could. For Friday I am purchasing 3 more so the rest of my family can come as well. If you have not got your tickets buy some and go see this team. They are just a joy to watch. Their are literally no egos on this team and they truly all play for each other. It is amazing what Smith has been able to do with the program.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 8303
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 373 times
Been thanked: 205 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ViAggie » November 13th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Especially with our ranking! Seeing a ranked BB team playing in Logan is rare, and here we are, we're the one's who are ranked!!! And being ranked in the T25 in Basketball is saying something, there are like 300+ D1 teams! Football is nothing with 100+ teams.


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ususports
Posts: 1206
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ususports » November 13th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 12:44 pm
I'm for creative promotions. I just dont think it should always be a "price" based promotion. I also think that the team itself deserves attendance.
Then you don't understand today's market. People have been trained to think if they are paying full price for anything, they are getting screwed (this is beyond ticket sales--that is in every market). There is no such thing as loyalty in customer's purchasing behavior anymore, as price is the primary factor.

We can all say that people should come to the games because the team deserves it (and I partially agree with that mentality), but if having a ranked team isn't bringing people to the games (which it obviously isn't), then the marketing team in the ticket office should do something about it. THAT IS THEIR JOB. Otherwise, they are literally just collecting a paycheck to blame the consumer for not being willing to pay the current prices to attend the games. As I have said in another thread, making exclusive offers to people who already have tickets, ranks up there as one of the dumbest marketing ideas.



JFW_AGGIES
Posts: 566
Joined: September 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 13th, 2019, 3:26 pm

ususports wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:22 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 12:44 pm
I'm for creative promotions. I just dont think it should always be a "price" based promotion. I also think that the team itself deserves attendance.
Then you don't understand today's market. People have been trained to think if they are paying full price for anything, they are getting screwed (this is beyond ticket sales--that is in every market). There is no such thing as loyalty in customer's purchasing behavior anymore, as price is the primary factor.

We can all say that people should come to the games because the team deserves it (and I partially agree with that mentality), but if having a ranked team isn't bringing people to the games (which it obviously isn't), then the marketing team in the ticket office should do something about it. THAT IS THEIR JOB. Otherwise, they are literally just collecting a paycheck to blame the consumer for not being willing to pay the current prices to attend the games. As I have said in another thread, making exclusive offers to people who already have tickets, ranks up there as one of the dumbest marketing ideas.
Try telling the people at Apple that consumers won't pay top dollar for a brand loyalty. I know sports is a different monster.



bigwilly087
Posts: 956
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 5:43 pm
Location: Fruit Heights
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by bigwilly087 » November 13th, 2019, 3:29 pm

ususports wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:22 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 12:44 pm
I'm for creative promotions. I just dont think it should always be a "price" based promotion. I also think that the team itself deserves attendance.
Then you don't understand today's market. People have been trained to think if they are paying full price for anything, they are getting screwed (this is beyond ticket sales--that is in every market). There is no such thing as loyalty in customer's purchasing behavior anymore, as price is the primary factor.

We can all say that people should come to the games because the team deserves it (and I partially agree with that mentality), but if having a ranked team isn't bringing people to the games (which it obviously isn't), then the marketing team in the ticket office should do something about it. THAT IS THEIR JOB. Otherwise, they are literally just collecting a paycheck to blame the consumer for not being willing to pay the current prices to attend the games. As I have said in another thread, making exclusive offers to people who already have tickets, ranks up there as one of the dumbest marketing ideas.
Have to be careful about cannibalizing season ticket sales. I have 4 season tickets, but if there were $5 tickets available for most games, I would likely rethink my stance. At the end of the day, I don't think it's a huge issue to have empty seats in October. It's rare to have a team that sells out every single game. I'll be happy if we sell out the big conference games, but if we have empty seats during a 2.5 week stretch with 5 homes games against lackluster opponents, so be it!



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12492
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 489 times
Been thanked: 538 times
Contact:

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ProvoAggie » November 13th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Looks like there are a few promotions this weekend. Maybe not as steep of a discount as some wanted but discounts none the less.




User avatar
usu99
Posts: 618
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:40 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by usu99 » November 13th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Our home slate OOC is pretty pathetic which I think leaves a lot. It is great we are winning by 40+ points, but to me that isn't entertaining. I want to see a competitive game. This is probably one of the worst home schedules we have had in my memory. I don't get excited to see us play in these types of games.


For all of your IT needs visit http://www.sidelogic.com

User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12492
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 489 times
Been thanked: 538 times
Contact:

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ProvoAggie » November 13th, 2019, 3:50 pm

usu99 wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:38 pm
Our home slate OOC is pretty pathetic which I think leaves a lot. It is great we are winning by 40+ points, but to me that isn't entertaining. I want to see a competitive game. This is probably one of the worst home schedules we have had in my memory. I don't get excited to see us play in these types of games.
Is it really worse than what we've had the past few years? Below is our OOC home opponents over the past 5 years (excluding Exhibitions. Except for 2 games against BYU, our OOC looks about the same this year as it has for the past several years.

2018
Hartford
Mississippi Valley State
Utah Valley
Northern Iowa (MW/MVC Challenge)
Alabama State
Eastern Oregon

2017
Montana State
Mississippi Valley State
BYU
UC Irvine
Life Pacific College
Youngstown State

2016
NJIT
Idaho State
Indiana State
Providence
New Orleans
Weber State

2015
Adams State
Union
Utah Valley
UC Irvine
UTRGV
Idaho State
North Dakota State

2014
Weber State
Santa Clara
BYU
CS Bakersfield
Idaho State
South Dakota State
Wayland Baptist



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2286
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by newhouse9 » November 13th, 2019, 4:21 pm

I love to got to the games. I go to watch the Aggies, so I don't care much about who we are playing. It's always fun to be in Logan and be in the Spectrum. I'll bring a buddy up this Friday. Good times.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggiedonlarson8



AggieAllTheWay
Posts: 3
Joined: November 13th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by AggieAllTheWay » November 13th, 2019, 4:38 pm

I was told there were quite a bit of season ticket holders who didn't show up for this game, making it look pretty empty. I can see your idea of making the seats that are available at a cheaper rate, I just think its funny how we have a #17 team in the nation and fans will complain why there aren't cheaper seats.



AggieAllTheWay
Posts: 3
Joined: November 13th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by AggieAllTheWay » November 13th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Lots of the Conference games are being filled up with Mini Plans and single game tickets. We will have a good crowd.



Aggie84025
Posts: 1547
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 390 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by Aggie84025 » November 13th, 2019, 4:43 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:50 pm
usu99 wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:38 pm
Our home slate OOC is pretty pathetic which I think leaves a lot. It is great we are winning by 40+ points, but to me that isn't entertaining. I want to see a competitive game. This is probably one of the worst home schedules we have had in my memory. I don't get excited to see us play in these types of games.
Is it really worse than what we've had the past few years? Below is our OOC home opponents over the past 5 years (excluding Exhibitions. Except for 2 games against BYU, our OOC looks about the same this year as it has for the past several years.

2018
Hartford
Mississippi Valley State
Utah Valley
Northern Iowa (MW/MVC Challenge)
Alabama State
Eastern Oregon

2017
Montana State
Mississippi Valley State
BYU
UC Irvine
Life Pacific College
Youngstown State

2016
NJIT
Idaho State
Indiana State
Providence
New Orleans
Weber State

2015
Adams State
Union
Utah Valley
UC Irvine
UTRGV
Idaho State
North Dakota State

2014
Weber State
Santa Clara
BYU
CS Bakersfield
Idaho State
South Dakota State
Wayland Baptist
This season's OOC home slate is similar to years past. I go to watch the aggies play and just enjoy being in the stadium with my kids enjoying a hot dog. The spectrum and getting to Logan is really the biggest factor in getting higher profile teams to come play. Teams can charter to the airport, but the spectrum has a strong reputation as a tough place to play. I don't know if teams will take a 2 for 1 type deal or not. It would be awesome if Utah would do home and homes with us given the history of the rivalry, but they are too puss (I can't express myself without swearing) to do it, although with 13 OOC games every year there really is no reason for them not to do it.



ususports
Posts: 1206
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ususports » November 13th, 2019, 5:06 pm

AggieAllTheWay wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 4:38 pm
I was told there were quite a bit of season ticket holders who didn't show up for this game, making it look pretty empty. I can see your idea of making the seats that are available at a cheaper rate, I just think its funny how we have a #17 team in the nation and fans will complain why there aren't cheaper seats.
I don't think anyone in this thread is complaining about ticket prices for themselves. However, the bottom line is if people aren't coming, then those in charge of marketing should figure out how to make it so people do. That is what they are paid to do.



ususports
Posts: 1206
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ususports » November 13th, 2019, 5:14 pm

bigwilly087 wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Have to be careful about cannibalizing season ticket sales. I have 4 season tickets, but if there were $5 tickets available for most games, I would likely rethink my stance. At the end of the day, I don't think it's a huge issue to have empty seats in October. It's rare to have a team that sells out every single game. I'll be happy if we sell out the big conference games, but if we have empty seats during a 2.5 week stretch with 5 homes games against lackluster opponents, so be it!
I fully agree with this in concept. However, I don't think most season ticket holders care if the AD does deep discounts to games against less than stellar opponents/non-exciting games. When you look at how many season ticket holders don't come to the non-exciting games anyway, why would they care about discounts offered to others, so why not deeply discount tickets to those games only to get some new fans exposed to the spectrum?



ususports
Posts: 1206
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by ususports » November 13th, 2019, 5:22 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:26 pm
ususports wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:22 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 12:44 pm
I'm for creative promotions. I just dont think it should always be a "price" based promotion. I also think that the team itself deserves attendance.
Then you don't understand today's market. People have been trained to think if they are paying full price for anything, they are getting screwed (this is beyond ticket sales--that is in every market). There is no such thing as loyalty in customer's purchasing behavior anymore, as price is the primary factor.

We can all say that people should come to the games because the team deserves it (and I partially agree with that mentality), but if having a ranked team isn't bringing people to the games (which it obviously isn't), then the marketing team in the ticket office should do something about it. THAT IS THEIR JOB. Otherwise, they are literally just collecting a paycheck to blame the consumer for not being willing to pay the current prices to attend the games. As I have said in another thread, making exclusive offers to people who already have tickets, ranks up there as one of the dumbest marketing ideas.
Try telling the people at Apple that consumers won't pay top dollar for a brand loyalty. I know sports is a different monster.
I would throw Disney into the mix to support your comment. So yes, there are some exceptions. However, we are not Alabama in football, or Kansas/Duke in basketball, so I don't think it is fair to compare USU ticket sales to Apple and Disney. You have to get the product in people's hands to make them fall in love with it and build brand loyalty first before you expect them to pay top dollar.



User avatar
bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff, '16 Bowl, '19 WTHCG
Posts: 2181
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: We desperately need ticket promotions for the next three games

Post by bigblue » November 13th, 2019, 7:09 pm

At the end of the day it isn't about butts in the seats, it's about maximizing revenue. I feel most who are only looking for discount tickets are just as likely to not purchase any concessions or become future season ticket holders. rAggie does make great points though. I really doubt the University is sitting on their hands in terms of marketing. Us fans don't get to see all the marketing data.

The best thing us fans can do is talk about the games and be excited. Do our own bootstrap marketing techniques by sharing all the articles we read in the national media to our friends, family, and co-workers that don't go, remind people that it's game day, and really anything else to show people there is good reason to come to games.

Honestly, is love to see more businesses around Logan have ticket giveaways to games. It's free advertising for the University. If anything I'd rather see discount tickets go for that reason.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic