Doug Gottlieb

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie

Doug Gottlieb

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 20th, 2019, 5:37 pm

So I just watched Monday night's basketball game and I could not believe some of the moronic stuff Doug Gottlieb (@GottliebShow) was saying about the Aggies! A few of my favorites were:

1. Justin Bean is a Dork - Why would you disparage a player who you've never met and then make negative comments on his appearance on TV? Super unprofessional!
2. You can attend USU without a high school diploma and you can get a GED from USU - What!? :headscratch:
3. Logan was named after an old-time fur trapper that roamed the area. Everything around here is apparently named after him - Now he's just talking out of his (I can't express myself without swearing)! (BTW, it was named after the Logan river).

That was a few of the idiot comments he made that show he clearly was not prepared to do his job! What's worse, he makes those comments about attendance to Bowvie that got people riled up! I appreciate it when we get big-time names to visit us but still, what a joke!

Blitz79

Re: Doug Gottlieb

Post by Blitz79 » November 20th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Yeah but Logan river got named after a trapper that roamed the area. They made movies about him.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post (total 2):
TheAKAggieMachismo

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 20th, 2019, 6:00 pm

He probably got it straight off Wikipedia.Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 20th, 2019, 6:04 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 6:00 pm
He probably got it straight off Wikipedia.Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Ok sure.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 20th, 2019, 6:05 pm

I thought he talked about us in an overall positive light. He knows our school and has advocated for us back in Stews days. That whole broadcast just wasn’t that professional and he was in some dingy tshirt. I don’t know if that is just the Facebook vibe they want or if he just showed up an hour before and said roll it.

bpd

Post by bpd » November 20th, 2019, 6:07 pm

I didn't have a problem with anything he said.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
AggieFBObsession

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 20th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Also, he loved Bean and couldn’t stop talking a out him. I didn’t feel he was trying to be mean just saying he looks like a dorky church ball guy but he surprises with athleticism. They said we look like a sweet sixteen team.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 20th, 2019, 6:08 pm

I thought it was really good. And he certainly wasn't mocking Bean. He had a lot of great things to say about Bean. If anything, he was effusively positive about Bean.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 20th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Bean is a dorky looking church ball looking player. He plays with crazy heat and determination, but at first glance I wouldn’t peg him for anything other than a walk on. Bean is becoming one of my favorite Aggies.

Utah State is a great school, but anyone that meets the minimum standards gets in.

I grew up in Logan and still have no clue what or who it is named after. If it’s named street the river, where did the river ferry it’s name?

No offense intended. None needs to be taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
AggieFBObsession

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » November 20th, 2019, 6:28 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 6:07 pm
Also, he loved Bean and couldn’t stop talking a out him. I didn’t feel he was trying to be mean just saying he looks like a dorky church ball guy but he surprises with athleticism. They said we look like a sweet sixteen team.
:wtf: That's a bunch of moronic :bs:. We look more like a final 4 team, especially with Queta. Next time these clowns come into town we're going to have to pay them a visit, at Chilis, after the game. We're going to knock their teeth so far down their throats that they'll have to stick their tooth brushes up their A$$es to brush their teeth. It will require more than surgery. They'll look like the dorks then.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 20th, 2019, 6:36 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 5:37 pm
So I just watched Monday night's basketball game and I could not believe some of the moronic stuff Doug Gottlieb (@GottliebShow) was saying about the Aggies! A few of my favorites were:

1. Justin Bean is a Dork - Why would you disparage a player who you've never met and then make negative comments on his appearance on TV? Super unprofessional!
2. You can attend USU without a high school diploma and you can get a GED from USU - What!? :headscratch:
3. Logan was named after an old-time fur trapper that roamed the area. Everything around here is apparently named after him - Now he's just talking out of his a**! (BTW, it was named after the Logan river).

That was a few of the idiot comments he made that show he clearly was not prepared to do his job! What's worse, he makes those comments about attendance to Bowvie that got people riled up! I appreciate it when we get big-time names to visit us but still, what a joke!
If that is what you got out of his gushing over Bean for 2 full hours, you're just looking to be offended. who cares about any of it, even if he said it.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 20th, 2019, 7:03 pm

I completely love bean he's one of my favorite players and is increasingly becoming more of my favorite player as the days go by. When you see him going out there start the game he does look just like this church league guy but when he gets out on the floor he tears it up. Quite honestly we have several players who look like that but that's why I love this team so much cuz just by the looks of them you wouldn't think they're going to dominate and that is exactly what they do.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 20th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Whether you like Doug Gottlieb or not, him talking about USU basketball on a national platform can only be a good thing even if there are some of the usual jabs about church ball and whatever else.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 20th, 2019, 7:11 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 6:36 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 5:37 pm

3. Logan was named after an old-time fur trapper that roamed the area. Everything around here is apparently named after him - Now he's just talking out of his a**! (BTW, it was named after the Logan river).

If that is what you got out of his gushing over Bean for 2 full hours, you're just looking to be offended. who cares about any of it, even if he said it.
After he made the dork comment, I think he either felt like he overstepped or was going down a dangerous path commenting on a player's personal appearance (non-basketball related, i.e. his genetics) and kept lauding Bean's performance. It's just annoying that he felt he need to go there (the whole appearance thing). Imagine if he had said James Harden or Kyrie Irving has a dorky-looking face!
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
NVAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 20th, 2019, 7:30 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 6:05 pm
I thought he talked about us in an overall positive light. He knows our school and has advocated for us back in Stews days. That whole broadcast just wasn’t that professional and he was in some dingy tshirt. I don’t know if that is just the Facebook vibe they want or if he just showed up an hour before and said roll it.
See, this is my point. I generally like Gottlieb and enjoy his show. It's this show up and shoot from the hip BS that gives people (who are unfamiliar with USU) watching the impression that Utah State players are ugly and that any idiot can walk in and earn a GED! Of course, I'm being hyperbolic but we deserve better TV color commentation, especially from someone on Gottlieb's level.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 20th, 2019, 7:45 pm

We don't have Sean Harris' hair anymore, which is one of the few downsides with this team.

dogie

Post by dogie » November 20th, 2019, 8:42 pm

I think part of the comments about Bean’s appearance were due to the face mask. Gottlieb also said that Jalen Moore graduating and moving on was a positive factor for the Aggies because he was a selfish player. Finally, he also claimed that the Mormons play basketball on Sunday mornings before church starts.

I think there is a conscious effort in the Facebook broadcasts to run on at the mouth and tailor the discussion to a younger audience. There might have been a couple of “OK, Boomer”s drooped during the broadcast.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 20th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Sure is easy to find things to be offended about. I guess it's true that you find what you seek.
Last edited by brownjeans on November 20th, 2019, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » November 20th, 2019, 8:48 pm

In all fairness I know a guy who went to usu without a GED or high school diploma. He also went on to law school but he did like getting into a university without finishing high school.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 20th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Not sure about the whole GED thing, but I got accepted into the UofU before USU would take me. I actually had to take the ACT again to get in.
Last edited by MrBiggle on November 20th, 2019, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post:
USU78

Where only sage brush grows

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 20th, 2019, 9:18 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 9:11 pm
Not sure about the whole GED thing, but I got excepted into the UofU before USU excepted me. I actually had to take the GRE again to get in.
glad to hear you were accepted somewhere despite your exception.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
bigwilly087

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 20th, 2019, 10:27 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 9:18 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 9:11 pm
Not sure about the whole GED thing, but I got excepted into the UofU before USU excepted me. I actually had to take the GRE again to get in.
glad to hear you were accepted somewhere despite your exception.
Haha, see what did there
:sarcasm:

Where only sage brush grows

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 20th, 2019, 11:08 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:Also, he loved Bean and couldn’t stop talking a out him. I didn’t feel he was trying to be mean just saying he looks like a dorky church ball guy but he surprises with athleticism. They said we look like a sweet sixteen team.
Which is completely accurate.

Hail Aggies!

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » November 20th, 2019, 11:42 pm

brownjeans wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 8:47 pm
Sure is easy to find things to be offended about. I guess it's true that you find what you seek.
Some of the things that people are offended about blow me away.

IHeartUSU
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by IHeartUSU » November 21st, 2019, 12:13 am

GoldcoastAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 11:42 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Some of the things that people are offended about blow me.
Frankly, Gotleib should be called out! Not because what he said was borderline offensive (which some of it was), but because he was paid a lot of money to be a subject matter expert and sound informative on the broadcast. Massive fail!

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 21st, 2019, 3:22 am

IHeartUSU wrote:
GoldcoastAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 11:42 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Some of the things that people are offended about blow me.
Frankly, Gotleib should be called out! Not because what he said was borderline offensive (which some of it was), but because he was paid a lot of money to be a subject matter expert and sound informative on the broadcast. Massive fail!
He knew about wild Bill, bean, Sam, queta, etc. I was impressed by how informed he was.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 21st, 2019, 5:31 am

I quite like Gottlieb. Listened to him for years and agree with his takes 90% of the time. Sure he’s a little off base occasionally but you just have to take him with a grain of salt. Unlike many other national guys he’s always been a supporter of our conference. One of the few guys on the CBS March Madness crew last season that knew a lick about MW basketball.

Full

Post by Full » November 21st, 2019, 5:56 am

I don’t know about a GED, but I took 9 credits the summer before my senior year of high school. That was quarter credits, so it’s possible things have changed.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 21st, 2019, 7:05 am

I have a bit of a bias against Gottlieb because he was one of the national media guys suggesting loudly that a top 25 USU team with a 25-3 record in 2004 did not deserve an at-large bid, but despite that bias, I thought he was far better and more prepared than most visiting commentators.

I also found it extremely interesting and informative when he observed that BYU-P's name is a bastardization of "Breedem' Young." I had not heard that before. Gottlieb is a font of knowledge.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » November 21st, 2019, 8:02 am

I dropped out in fourth grade and later on graduated from USU without even enrolling
These users thanked the author UtahStizzle for the post (total 2):
sam tingeytreesap32

Twitter: UtahStizzle

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 21st, 2019, 8:31 am

I don't know Gottlieb's schtick enough to know if he was being normal or disparaging to our program. I wonder how he would show up to Cameron Indoor?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 21st, 2019, 11:47 am

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a “USU” program that offered GED prep courses and administers exams throughout the state. But USU doesn’t “issue a GED” in the same manner it issues a degree. I was very confused when he spoke.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 21st, 2019, 11:55 am

Does the USU testing center offer GED tests? I know they used to do the ACT - I know because I took my ACT there in August of 1989

Found the answer to my question. The answer is yes, you can get your GED via the USU testing center:
https://career-services.usu.edu/testing/ged

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 21st, 2019, 12:12 pm

This is crazy. Gottlieb was extremely informed about USU and our past players and such. I was impressed. Gottlieb also talked about USU on the Herd this morning. He gave USU a lot of praise and said USU is a top 10 team!

Today's show and his USU comments start at 4:15
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... ecdf780331
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 21st, 2019, 12:43 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 12:12 pm
This is crazy. Gottlieb was extremely informed about USU and our past players and such. I was impressed. Gottlieb also talked about USU on the Herd this morning. He gave USU a lot of praise and said USU is a top 10 team!

Today's show and his USU comments start at 4:15
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... ecdf780331
I will not be happy until Katie Nolan is calling every single one of our games. I don’t care if “that’s not what she does”.

Locked Previous topicNext topic