Have there ever been announcers so biased?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Real Life Aggie

Re: Have there ever been announcers so biased?

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 24th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 1:09 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 11:20 am
I didn't notice any bias. Probably because they weren't really biased. Neither were the refs. The fact is that you are the one who is biased, and it alters your perception.
I don’t think the refs were biased but they made a bunch of bad calls and with my bias it seemed to error in favor of LSU.
I think the only bad call, or lack thereof in this case, was that half court violation at the end. Everything else was just the game. Refs didn't seem to have it out for us. They didn't call some soft calls on Merrill when he was driving, the and-1 one for Mays at the end was confusing, and I know Sam was frustrated on his dunk attempt. But, they also called some soft calls on LSU. In a very short period, Williams piled up his fouls on some soft calls. That really opened up the game for us.

My biggest frustration was how well they kept blocking stuff. Consistently, demoralizingly, and cleanly blocking shots.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 24th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 2:59 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
I didn't notice any bias. Probably because they weren't really biased. Neither were the refs. The fact is that you are the one who is biased, and it alters your perception.
I don’t think the refs were biased but they made a bunch of bad calls and with my bias it seemed to error in favor of LSU.
I think the only bad call, or lack thereof in this case, was that half court violation at the end. Everything else was just the game. Refs didn't seem to have it out for us. They didn't call some soft calls on Merrill when he was driving, the and-1 one for Mays at the end was confusing, and I know Sam was frustrated on his dunk attempt. But, they also called some soft calls on LSU. In a very short period, Williams piled up his fouls on some soft calls. That really opened up the game for us.

My biggest frustration was how well they kept blocking stuff. Consistently, demoralizingly, and cleanly blocking shots.
I agree. Very evenhanded game. LSU had some real studs out there athletically and they made some really athletic plays. Nothing wrong with pointing that out. It was a fun game to watch although I watched it on replay or I might have felt different about the first 30 minutes..lol

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 24th, 2019, 4:20 pm

hickaggie wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 3:59 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 2:59 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

I agree. Very evenhanded game. LSU had some real studs out there athletically and they made some really athletic plays. Nothing wrong with pointing that out. It was a fun game to watch although I watched it on replay or I might have felt different about the first 30 minutes..lol
I know how it turned out, and I still haven't rewatched the first half, haha.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » November 27th, 2019, 10:09 pm

I don’t mean to resurrect this topic, but I’m going to use this thread. I didn’t love these commentators but listening now to Bill Walton call the Maui Invitational is so amazingly painful. The man is either senile, high, or drunk. Possibly a combination of the three. It’s embarrassing to listen to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » November 27th, 2019, 10:18 pm

I dug it when he called Haws Barney Fife tho.
These users thanked the author Aggie-Man for the post (total 2):
AgMan21aggies22

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 28th, 2019, 3:27 am

AgMan21 wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 10:09 pm
I don’t mean to resurrect this topic, but I’m going to use this thread. I didn’t love these commentators but listening now to Bill Walton call the Maui Invitational is so amazingly painful. The man is either senile, high, or drunk. Possibly a combination of the three. It’s embarrassing to listen to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can’t stand how Walton makes a point that he doesn’t understand any type of modern day reference to anything. Like he is Buddha on the mountain top. “Euro-step? What’s a euro-step? Why is it called a euro-step?” or “enter sandman? I listen to Jimi Hendrix”

We all get it Walton. You were a big deal in the seventies man. Good job on being relevant during that decade but there have been plenty of other decades since then. So how about you join the rest of us here in the real world. Also, why was jay bilas pretending to cut Walton’s hair in the boat?
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 28th, 2019, 6:06 am

I think Walton is great. But to each their own.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 28th, 2019, 8:51 am

I think Walton's brain got torched a bit by all the acid. I like him. He reminds me of my crazy uncle, 15 unrelated topics in one sentence, no problem. 😁
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22

Go Aggies!

freakboy

Post by freakboy » November 29th, 2019, 7:11 am

Yes. Al and Rod.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 29th, 2019, 1:30 pm

It bugged me a little........BUT I take solace in the fact that Kevin Harlan (my favorite announcer) loves us.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » December 2nd, 2019, 2:49 pm

I love Bill Walton and always have. He may be completely hyperbolic and occasionally feigns being out of touch, but he adds a certain love of the game and insights that many color guys seem to lack. He and Ralph Lawler were easily the best NBA duo back when they were doing Clippers games together. I met Walton at the Final Four this year in a neighboring suite (he was by himself having a bite), and he was gracious enough to speak with me for 30 minutes. He gave me his email to keep in touch, and I love that he always signs off with "Shine On."

I recently re-watched Game 6 of the 1997 Western Conference Finals (Utah vs. Houston). Walton was the color guy, and he was SO much better than most of the analysts out there today who simply state the obvious.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 2nd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Uh oh......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Locked Previous topicNext topic