My favorite wins in Utah State history.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

My favorite wins in Utah State history.

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 23rd, 2019, 6:10 am

Because this was such a great win, it's worth ranking it in history.

#1 New Mexico State in Logan 94-95;
They were ranked in the top 25 that year.

#2 Utah in Logan 00-01
They were ranked top 25, maybe top 10. Rick Majerus coached team.

#3 Ohio State in the NCAA tournament
Our only NCAA tournament win in a very long time.

#4 BYU
Beating them never gets old and too many instances to list.

#5 LSU in Jamaica 19-20
I'm still in disbelief.

#6 Nevada
Again too many instances to list.

#7 UC Irvine 87-88
Won the PCAA tournament championship when UNLV was a perennial top 10 team.

dyedblue

Re: My favorite wins in Utah State history.

Post by dyedblue » November 23rd, 2019, 6:59 am

This is a good list.

Ohio State can be nothing but #1 because of what that win meant.

The Stavon Williams Nevada game was massive and needs to be way up there

Last year’s Nevada game is probably #2 for me.

The Chaz Spicer and Tai Wesley vs. Utah games are up there as well.

The win over St. Mary’s in Moraga was huge

There are some conference tourney wins that would make the list also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 23rd, 2019, 10:41 am

The win over ranked Pacific with OleoCandy was a big deal, too.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Reckoner

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 23rd, 2019, 10:53 am

Chaz Spicer and the Utah game

Back to back wins against top 10 ranked Nevada was epic.

Last years Nevada game pretty much sealed the regular season champion tie and last years SDSU game for the conference championship.

LSU game

Ohio St game has go to be there somewhere but I didn’t see that game.

St Mary’s bracket buster game with the Jardine dunk.

New Mexico St games.

I don’t particularly like BYU games, even when we win. I always feel dirty after playing them and interacting with their fans. That said, the Davies games that initiated The Apology was great for the atmosphere and creative signs haha.

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » November 23rd, 2019, 1:10 pm

I really liked the win over Utah in the Spectrum in '98. I think they were ranked #8 at the time and I think it was right after they were in the final four. That was a fun game to be at!

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 23rd, 2019, 1:24 pm

The BSU comeback game against George Karl Jr. (his name escapes me) was monumental. It extended their winless streak in the Spectrum when ot looked like they would snap it.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 23rd, 2019, 1:47 pm

One of my favorite wins was against Pacific when they were ranked and we beat them in the championship of the big West tournament. If I remember right we had just lost to them a couple weeks prior to that when we were up by several points and we completely crumbled down the stretch and lost. the big West tournament in Anaheim or were always a good time except for the northridge game.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 23rd, 2019, 2:52 pm

Didn’t we beat Utah at their place when they were ranked top 10, when Majerus was there?

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » November 23rd, 2019, 4:33 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 1:47 pm
One of my favorite wins was against Pacific when they were ranked and we beat them in the championship of the big West tournament. If I remember right we had just lost to them a couple weeks prior to that when we were up by several points and we completely crumbled down the stretch and lost. the big West tournament in Anaheim or were always a good time except for the northridge game.
I was there for both the meltdown in the spectrum and the win in the big west tourney in Anaheim... that was a very sweet win after the bitter pill

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 23rd, 2019, 4:52 pm

Another memorable game was the beat down of top 10 Utah when the had Andrew Bogut and we beat them 71-45...finishing the game on a 33-11 run. But this LSU game was special just because of the fight and preserving our ranking without Queta.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2019, 11:26 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 1:47 pm
That was a big one. The home loss to them a few weeks before was the worst Aggie loss I've ever witnessed in person. Everybody ready to storm the court only to have it be taken away. Glad we got revenge and made the dance. That was a really good Pacific team that year too, an 8 seed who beat Pitt in the dance.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 23rd, 2019, 11:51 pm

utaggies wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 1:24 pm
The BSU comeback game against George Karl Jr. (his name escapes me) was monumental. It extended their winless streak in the Spectrum when ot looked like they would snap it.
Coby

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » November 24th, 2019, 1:19 am

my favs are 1. Beating BYU in 1970 when they had Kresimir Cosic, Nate Williams hit a 30 footer to win. 2. In the old fieldhouse beating a #4 Seattle, with Shaler Halimon and his pro-type game. 3. Beating a Guy Lewis Houston team at home in the first year of the Spectrum. 4. Beating a very good UTEP team lead by Nate Archibald, we were led by Nate Williams, game was at the old BYU fieldhouse, it was a play-in type game to get us to the NCAA. Archibald scored 35, Nate Williams scored 36. It was the 70-71 team. 5. Beating Utah and the Shot, by Chaz Spicer! 6. Beating Nevada when we had Nate Harris and his great footwork. 7. Beating a very good Minnesota team at their place, Marcos Saxon leading the way. 8. Beating BYU with their Reid Brothers, we won by 32, Silas mIlls was awesome, and so was Covington Cormier. 9. Beating BYU with their gonad grabber Araujo, Spencer Nielsen hitting the last second shot. 10. Beating Utah at Utah with a great game by Desmond Pinegar.
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post:
vegasaggie

TrueBigBlue

Post by TrueBigBlue » November 24th, 2019, 7:21 am

I love this thread

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 24th, 2019, 9:07 am

This is our most "national" win since beating Ohio State in the tournament. The college basketball world knows who we are and that we belong in the conversation among the best teams in the sport. To beat a quality LSU team who made the Sweet Sixteen last year and to do it without our future NBA draftpick just adds something special to it. Conference championships are special, wins over byu and utah are nice, but this is something different. Something we don't experience very often.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ChicAggie

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 24th, 2019, 11:31 am

troutputz wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 1:19 am
my favs are 1. Beating BYU in 1970 when they had Kresimir Cosic, Nate Williams hit a 30 footer to win. 2. In the old fieldhouse beating a #4 Seattle, with Shaler Halimon and his pro-type game. 3. Beating a Guy Lewis Houston team at home in the first year of the Spectrum. 4. Beating a very good UTEP team lead by Nate Archibald, we were led by Nate Williams, game was at the old BYU fieldhouse, it was a play-in type game to get us to the NCAA. Archibald scored 35, Nate Williams scored 36. It was the 70-71 team. 5. Beating Utah and the Shot, by Chaz Spicer! 6. Beating Nevada when we had Nate Harris and his great footwork. 7. Beating a very good Minnesota team at their place, Marcos Saxon leading the way. 8. Beating BYU with their Reid Brothers, we won by 32, Silas mIlls was awesome, and so was Covington Cormier. 9. Beating BYU with their gonad grabber Araujo, Spencer Nielsen hitting the last second shot. 10. Beating Utah at Utah with a great game by Desmond Pinegar.
Really great post, trout. You have some fantastic memories. Still, it's hard to justify leaving the Ohio State victory off that list -- particularly in comparison to some meaningless victories over BYU-Provo.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 24th, 2019, 11:55 am

How about your "favorite" losses?

The two that spring to mind immediately for me were both against UNLV:

The first is the 142-140 triple overtime loss to UNLV in 1985 where USU should have won in regulation, the first OT, and the third OT, but managed to blow it each time. The Ags were up by six in the third overtime, but outscored 8-0 down the stretch. Both Jeff Anderson and Greg Grant scored over 30 each and the total score set the all-time college record for most total points scored in a game. I was a senior at MC and attended every Aggie home game that year. What a heartbreaking loss that was.

https://www.hjnews.com/allaccess/column ... 963f4.html

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

The other, of course, was the 84-82 loss to 2nd Ranked UNLV in the Water Bomb game in 1990 -- the same season UNLV went on to win the national championship. I was a junior at USU that year, sitting at center-court, front row, harassing Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, Greg Anthony, Anderson Hunt, et al. the entire game. The mood was electric and I'm sure the players fed off the crowd's energy, but giving the Rebels four technical free throws for throwing toilet paper and setting off the water bomb may have been a case of the fans costing the Aggies a victory. Hard to know, but what a win that would have been!

https://www.deseret.com/1990/3/2/188494 ... in-rematch

https://lasvegassun.com/news/1990/mar/0 ... tah-state/

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » November 24th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Not the most exciting game or high profile opponent, but a personal favorite that hasn't been mentioned is the 2009 WAC championship. The Aggies lost by double digits to Nevada two weeks prior and had generally struggled down the stretch after a long winning streak.

They came out and blitzed a good Nevada team (with Luke Babbitt and Armon Johnson) on their home court, going up 13-0 and never really letting Nevada in the game. Especially on the heels of an epic nail-biter in the semi's against NMSU, seeing one of the best Aggie teams ever put their foot down and win the conference championship on a rival's home-court was awesome.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 24th, 2019, 1:05 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 11:55 am
How about your "favorite" losses?

The two that spring to mind immediately for me were both against UNLV:

The first is the 142-140 triple overtime loss to UNLV in 1985 where USU should have won in regulation, the first OT, and the third OT, but managed to blow it each time. The Ags were up by six in the third overtime, but outscored 8-0 down the stretch. Both Jeff Anderson and Greg Grant scored over 30 each and the total score set the all-time college record for most total points scored in a game. I was a senior at MC and attended every Aggie home game that year. What a heartbreaking loss that was.

https://www.hjnews.com/allaccess/column ... 963f4.html

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

The other, of course, was the 84-82 loss to 2nd Ranked UNLV in the Water Bomb game in 1990 -- the same season UNLV went on to win the national championship. I was a junior at USU that year, sitting at center-court, front row, harassing Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, Greg Anthony, Anderson Hunt, et al. the entire game. The mood was electric and I'm sure the players fed off the crowd's energy, but giving the Rebels four technical free throws for throwing toilet paper and setting off the water bomb may have been a case of the fans costing the Aggies a victory. Hard to know, but what a win that would have been!

https://www.deseret.com/1990/3/2/188494 ... in-rematch

https://lasvegassun.com/news/1990/mar/0 ... tah-state/
“Favorite” would not be the appropriate word. Perhaps heartbreaking would. Two come to mind. The Jerry Green length-of-the-court dribble/score against UC Irvine. And the pull-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory home loss to Pacific.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 24th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Jerry freaking Green.
Pacific
The UNLV games

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 24th, 2019, 2:25 pm

utaggies wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 1:05 pm
“Favorite” would not be the appropriate word.
That's why I put "favorite" in quotes. Putting a word in quotes in that context signifies that the word does not have its usually intended meaning. That is a big part of the reason misused quotation marks can be so hilarious. See, for example:

http://www.lifebuzz.com/quotations/

https://www.buzzfeed.com/copyranter/unn ... our-health

https://www.ranker.com/list/funny-quota ... ob-shelton

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » November 24th, 2019, 7:29 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 6:10 am
Because this was such a great win, it's worth ranking it in history.

#1 New Mexico State in Logan 94-95;
They were ranked in the top 25 that year.

#2 Utah in Logan 00-01
They were ranked top 25, maybe top 10. Rick Majerus coached team.

#3 Ohio State in the NCAA tournament
Our only NCAA tournament win in a very long time.

#4 BYU
Beating them never gets old and too many instances to list.

#5 LSU in Jamaica 19-20
I'm still in disbelief.

#6 Nevada
Again too many instances to list.

#7 UC Irvine 87-88
Won the PCAA tournament championship when UNLV was a perennial top 10 team.
Don't forget, however, that in order for us to be able to beat Irvine in the championship game, Irvine had to beat UNLV, something we had not done since the formation of that conference. Unknowable whether or not, had UNLV gotten to the championship game, we could have finally beaten them.
These users thanked the author 72AgGrad for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

GUS

Post by GUS » November 24th, 2019, 7:37 pm

My favorite game that ended up being a loss, was the triple overtime loss to UNLV.

papaj

Post by papaj » November 24th, 2019, 7:46 pm

I love the fact that we were in the first ever NCAA tourney, so I’ll go with the Aggies win over Texas in 1939, 51-49.

Welcome to Utah State University: A Little Piece of Heaven on the North Side of Hell

Locked Previous topicNext topic