Abel Porter

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Usu0505
Posts: 548
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Abel Porter

Post by Usu0505 » November 23rd, 2019, 8:59 am

Does anybody else get the sense that Porter has this chip on his shoulder this year? I feel like I see him whining and pouting a lot this year? I haven’t been a fan of it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



bluegrouse
Posts: 3186
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 173 times
Been thanked: 477 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by bluegrouse » November 23rd, 2019, 9:03 am

I was a big fan of the pass he made to Merrill for the winning shot last night. Does that count?



Usu0505
Posts: 548
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Usu0505 » November 23rd, 2019, 9:07 am

bluegrouse wrote:I was a big fan of the pass he made to Merrill for the winning shot last night. Does that count?
Sure. I’m not trying to knock his play although he does have a hard time handling an athletic guards pressure defense.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Usu0505
Posts: 548
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Usu0505 » November 23rd, 2019, 9:16 am

Maybe it’s just me. I just find it weird that last year he was this upbeat kid taking over the starting roll and trying to prove himself, then one year later he acts too good. Can’t remember which team we were blowing out but they were hanging around the first 10 min and he turned the ball over and gave this look like, “ do we even have to play this game”. He was just playing super nonchalant.

When coach says there were guys feeling sorry for themselves at halftime his name sticks out to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2699
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by GUS » November 23rd, 2019, 9:31 am

He's doing okay. You guys are reading a lot more into what is not there.



Usu0505
Posts: 548
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Usu0505 » November 23rd, 2019, 9:36 am

It would just be me. No one else has agreed. Haha and your point is probably correct.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Dkdavis
Posts: 153
Joined: January 28th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Dkdavis » November 23rd, 2019, 9:46 am

I have a lot of respect for Abel Porter, but I’m not gonna lie I don’t think he preformed his best last night. To give a 3rd party perspective my brother didn’t watch a single aggie game last year. I told him how good the team was gonna be this year so he managed to score himself some really good season tickets. He’s mentioned a few times that Abel’s ball handling isn’t good enough and he won’t take an open 3. Last night it seemed like the Aggies were playing better when Merrill was running the point.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
303aggie



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 907
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 703 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 23rd, 2019, 9:51 am

Exactly. Our best lineup is when Sam is playing pg and Queta is playing. I'd have to include Fonzo now in that too. I think you have to include Brito and Bean too. Miller is too streaky. Porter isn't good enough for the highest level of d1. Bairstow has potential but needs to mature and the same is true for Kuba.



Usu0505
Posts: 548
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Usu0505 » November 23rd, 2019, 9:51 am

Dkdavis wrote:I have a lot of respect for Abel Porter, but I’m not gonna lie I don’t think he preformed his best last night. To give a 3rd party perspective my brother didn’t watch a single aggie game last year. I told him how good the team was gonna be this year so he managed to score himself some really good season tickets. He’s mentioned a few times that Abel’s ball handling isn’t good enough and he won’t take an open 3. Last night it seemed like the Aggies were playing better when Merrill was running the point.
I also really like Brito running the point. Dude can pass the ball


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 907
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 703 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 23rd, 2019, 9:53 am

Brito isn't a PG. No potential there imo.



Usu0505
Posts: 548
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Usu0505 » November 23rd, 2019, 10:00 am

I mean in that case Sam isn’t really a PG either. Brito has ran point multiple times this year and always done well. Not ideal but back to the original point of who would you rather have play point guard over Abel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 907
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 703 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 23rd, 2019, 10:01 am

On a similar note Jaycee's interview was interesting with Bill. He was saying that the transition down in position number is more difficult than up in number. Interesting POV because of the ball handling requirement.

Also he said that he had never played PG until the NBA tryouts. And also that he didn't have many individual drills in practice. What an epic fail of player development.

Sam needs to play PG because that's where he'll be most enticing to NBA scouts. And, yes, I do think he has potential there in the NBA.

Now someone will say that you don't play someone at a different position because you play to win. I'd argue that you play someone where their potential can be maximized so that you can win in the tournament at the highest level. Furthermore the more NBA players you have from your program, the better you can recruit.

Also I should point out that when you're playing in the NCAA tournament you're playing against NBA talent. How can you win against NBA talent if you don't have it or haven't developed it.

I'm so glad that coach Smith is our coach because he seems to understand this clearly.
Last edited by AggieFBObsession on November 23rd, 2019, 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 907
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 703 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 23rd, 2019, 10:02 am

Usu0505 wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 10:00 am
Not ideal but back to the original point of who would you rather have play point guard over Abel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sam is a PG, not an SG, IMO. He's a natural leader and an excellent ball handler. We've seen the team's success as a result of him playing there also.



Aggie84025
Posts: 1700
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Aggie84025 » November 23rd, 2019, 10:06 am

Porter obviously did not have the best game, but he is a solid ball handler, free throw shooter and decent 3 pt shooter. He for sure struggles against quick athletic guards, but he is a decent pg. Merrill and Brito are more than capable of playing the pg in 3-5 minute stretches as well. Hopefully Bairstow will continue to get time and develop as I think he has a lot of potential.

Anthony for next year is he a shooting or point guard?



oleblu111
Posts: 1500
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 565 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by oleblu111 » November 23rd, 2019, 11:02 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 10:06 am
Porter obviously did not have the best game, but he is a solid ball handler, free throw shooter and decent 3 pt shooter. He for sure struggles against quick athletic guards, but he is a decent pg. Merrill and Brito are more than capable of playing the pg in 3-5 minute stretches as well. Hopefully Bairstow will continue to get time and develop as I think he has a lot of potential.

Anthony for next year is he a shooting or point guard?
Those are good points. I believe that Anthony is a shooting guard.

Is it just me but I.m so happy with the kids effort and coaching adjustments that any flaws with players or announcers or being located in Ogden do not bother me at all. Cougar board is a place filled with cult robot like folks that hold no interest to me so I never read it.

All is Well
All is well



Bank Shot
Posts: 407
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Bank Shot » November 23rd, 2019, 11:30 am

Remember at this time last year Abel was a backup to Ainge. He was inserted into the starting lineup with nothing to lose. Fast forward a year and he's a starter, in his last year, on a nationally ranked team, with a lot more expected. I agree he didn't have his best game last night, but I wonder if he's just feeling a bit more pressure and just not having as much fun, which leads to a different persona.



Usu0505
Posts: 548
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Usu0505 » November 23rd, 2019, 11:31 am

Bank Shot wrote:Remember at this time last year Abel was a backup to Ainge. He was inserted into the starting lineup with nothing to lose. Fast forward a year and he's a starter, in his last year, on a nationally ranked team, with a lot more expected. I agree he didn't have his best game last night, but I wonder if he's just feeling a bit more pressure and just not having as much fun, which leads to a different persona.
Could most definitely be the case.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by dyedblue » November 23rd, 2019, 11:35 am

I think we needed another point guard in the program. Abel is good with the ball, is a solid passer, and outs in a good effort. Defensively, he is a liability and has no strength or quickness to stay with athletic guards. He cannot create his own shot. I’d love to have him as a solid backup instead of the main guy. I do like that he doesn’t do things that hurt this team. He won’t ever shoot you out if a game, not will he Force things when they aren’t there.

I like Abel and think he has a positive impact on this team.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggs&Jazz12
Posts: 96
Joined: July 5th, 2017, 4:43 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » November 23rd, 2019, 12:39 pm

Y’all really kill me on this site. Abel has absolutely outperformed any expectations anyone had for him coming into the program. He’s not the greatest PG we’ve had come through, but he’s earned the starting spot and a scholarship. He’s had 2 bad games this season, yet we’re still 6-0. One of the best things is that even when he’s playing poorly, he still does great things: like make a great pass to Sam for the game-winning 3. We just gotta chill out a bit.



Yossarian
Posts: 2993
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Yossarian » November 23rd, 2019, 12:45 pm

Abel Porter will be a key contributor in more wins this year than he will be a key reason the Aggies lose games. His role and presence on this team are definitely a net positive.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5890
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 308 times
Contact:

Re: Abel Porter

Post by TheAKAggie » November 23rd, 2019, 12:45 pm

Once you realize perfection is not the goal life gets easier.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

Aggie in Boise
Posts: 314
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Aggie in Boise » November 23rd, 2019, 1:53 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 9:53 am
Brito isn't a PG. No potential there imo.
In a radio interview a couple weeks back Smith said Brito was going to spend some time at the pg position.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 7085
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1143 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by USU78 » November 23rd, 2019, 2:02 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 12:45 pm
Once you realize perfection is not the goal life gets easier.
Sandbox, please.


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Aggie84025
Posts: 1700
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Aggie84025 » November 23rd, 2019, 2:11 pm

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 12:39 pm
Y’all really kill me on this site. Abel has absolutely outperformed any expectations anyone had for him coming into the program. He’s not the greatest PG we’ve had come through, but he’s earned the starting spot and a scholarship. He’s had 2 bad games this season, yet we’re still 6-0. One of the best things is that even when he’s playing poorly, he still does great things: like make a great pass to Sam for the game-winning 3. We just gotta chill out a bit.
Solid post Porter is a solid point guard nothing flashy but he for sure is decent. Who can forget the New Mexico game last year where he won it on the three. I have a lot of respect for Porter as a person as well. The guy has already finished his bachelor's degree and is working on his master's degree and he's only a junior in terms of eligibility for playing.



User avatar
lcrasmus
Posts: 1373
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:40 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by lcrasmus » November 23rd, 2019, 4:07 pm

Anyone who has the ability to get double digit assists is going to do just fine in my book.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5890
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 308 times
Contact:

Re: Abel Porter

Post by TheAKAggie » November 23rd, 2019, 4:49 pm

USU78 wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 12:45 pm
Once you realize perfection is not the goal life gets easier.
Sandbox, please.
Once you realize sports perfection is not the goal sports life gets easier. Fixed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07Real Life Aggie


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
WAAggie
Posts: 2303
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Kent WA
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by WAAggie » November 23rd, 2019, 5:40 pm

I think he is very hard on himself. After giving up that steal, he looked like he was going to punch himself up side the head. I met him at a football game and he’s a great kid, smiles, pleasant and i bet he comes right back and plays well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
scotlandog
Posts: 1154
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by scotlandog » November 23rd, 2019, 9:31 pm

I’m sure Porter is a great kid but I’ve noticed the nonchalant type attitude out there this year. I’ve commented on it several times while watching games. It seems to be a carelessness with the ball.

For instance in the LSU game he brought the ball up and was stalling just over the half line and not being careful with the ball while Mays was right in front of him. So Mays stole the ball and Porter has to foul him. He wasn’t blocking the defender with his body. He wasn’t ready to play. Just nonchalant and careless. There have been numerous instances. I don’t know what he is doing but it seems his head isn’t in the game or the moment sometimes. Maybe he’s distracted by something..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1282
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 271 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by MrBiggle » November 23rd, 2019, 10:35 pm

scotlandog wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 9:31 pm
I’m sure Porter is a great kid but I’ve noticed the nonchalant type attitude out there this year. I’ve commented on it several times while watching games. It seems to be a carelessness with the ball.

For instance in the LSU game he brought the ball up and was stalling just over the half line and not being careful with the ball while Mays was right in front of him. So Mays stole the ball and Porter has to foul him. He wasn’t blocking the defender with his body. He wasn’t ready to play. Just nonchalant and careless. There have been numerous instances. I don’t know what he is doing but it seems his head isn’t in the game or the moment sometimes. Maybe he’s distracted by something..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He did get married... and we all know what that does.


Where only sage brush grows

Aggie-Man
Posts: 233
Joined: December 10th, 2016, 3:45 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Aggie-Man » November 23rd, 2019, 11:15 pm

I’m pretty sure the people bagging on Porter are the same guys that bagged on Quinn Taylor for 2 years.



User avatar
scotlandog
Posts: 1154
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by scotlandog » November 23rd, 2019, 11:27 pm

Aggie-Man wrote:I’m pretty sure the people bagging on Porter are the same guys that bagged on Quinn Taylor for 2 years.
I loved Taylor and I love Porter. I just agree that there seems a change in his mentality or approach to the game. Nothing wrong with trying to understand what’s happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Usu0505
Posts: 548
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Usu0505 » November 23rd, 2019, 11:39 pm

scotlandog wrote:
Aggie-Man wrote:I’m pretty sure the people bagging on Porter are the same guys that bagged on Quinn Taylor for 2 years.
I loved Taylor and I love Porter. I just agree that there seems a change in his mentality or approach to the game. Nothing wrong with trying to understand what’s happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad at least one other person sees it. Nobody has tore the kid down in this thread. Athletic guards give him trouble is not bagging. My main point of this post wasn’t even to talk about his Playing it was to point out exactly what Scotlanddog just said. His attitude on the court just seems arrogantish for lack of a better word.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 857
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1001 times
Been thanked: 405 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 23rd, 2019, 11:53 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 11:39 pm
scotlandog wrote:
Aggie-Man wrote:I’m pretty sure the people bagging on Porter are the same guys that bagged on Quinn Taylor for 2 years.
I loved Taylor and I love Porter. I just agree that there seems a change in his mentality or approach to the game. Nothing wrong with trying to understand what’s happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad at least one other person sees it. Nobody has tore the kid down in this thread. Athletic guards give him trouble is not bagging. My main point of this post wasn’t even to talk about his Playing it was to point out exactly what Scotlanddog just said. His attitude on the court just seems arrogantish for lack of a better word.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't see arrogance. That play when Mays stole the ball and Porter fouled he gave the ref a look, but then looked away because he knew it was all him, and he accepted that. I see stress. I think, much like Sam, he's putting a lot on his shoulders.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
jpswensen



User avatar
scotlandog
Posts: 1154
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by scotlandog » November 24th, 2019, 12:21 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 11:39 pm
scotlandog wrote:
Aggie-Man wrote:I’m pretty sure the people bagging on Porter are the same guys that bagged on Quinn Taylor for 2 years.
I loved Taylor and I love Porter. I just agree that there seems a change in his mentality or approach to the game. Nothing wrong with trying to understand what’s happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad at least one other person sees it. Nobody has tore the kid down in this thread. Athletic guards give him trouble is not bagging. My main point of this post wasn’t even to talk about his Playing it was to point out exactly what Scotlanddog just said. His attitude on the court just seems arrogantish for lack of a better word.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't see arrogance. That play when Mays stole the ball and Porter fouled he gave the ref a look, but then looked away because he knew it was all him, and he accepted that. I see stress. I think, much like Sam, he's putting a lot on his shoulders.
That was mentioned earlier by someone, stress. That could be it. I hope he is able to deal with it and enjoy himself. There will be lots of pressure as the season goes on and more so with each successive win.

The guy from Nevada talked about that with his team last year. Everyone is gunning for you. Everyone is going to give you their best shot. Of course we don’t want to lose, but sometimes there are positives in losses and relieving stress can be one of those things.

Hopefully Porter isn’t putting too much pressure on himself and plays without his brain getting in the way. You always seem more likely to make a mistake when you are trying not to make a mistake. When you play to win instead of not losing, things always go better.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2739
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Abel Porter

Post by ineptimusprime » November 24th, 2019, 8:17 am

It is possible to simultaneously hold the views that: (1) Abel is a good player and valuable contributor on the team; and (2) we should have brought in an athletic JUCO or grad transfer PG as a change of pace even though/if Abel is the starter.

I really like Abel a lot. However, we have a glut of post players (two of which have almost no chance of ever really contributing) and at least one of those scholarships would have been better used on a true backup PG.

Recruiting in the Duryea years was bad (with exceptions of McEwen and Brito; Merrill and Miller were Stew recruits, I believe), but particularly in the post. Pretty telling that the best post player Duryea had during his tenure was probably walk-on Quinn Taylor (who was great).
Last edited by ineptimusprime on November 24th, 2019, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.



Locked Previous topicNext topic