This week, I am hyped about the Aggies-BYU game.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

This week, I am hyped about the Aggies-BYU game.

Post by SLB » December 9th, 2019, 11:07 am

We need that win follow Aggie fans.
:scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman:

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: This week, I am hyped about the Aggies-BYU game.

Post by ProvoAggie » December 9th, 2019, 11:23 am

I'm ready to get the win. It would be really nice if Aggie fans showed up in force to support the team. Need the Spectrum on Wheels back.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » December 9th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Usu is sending two busses down. They gave out 110ish tickets to students and they went in under an hour.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 9th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Excited to win! We haven't won since "The Apology" game. Need a win against those guys and this is the year to do it. We are the better team this year.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 9th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 12:32 pm
Excited to win! We haven't won since "The Apology" game. Need a win against those guys and this is the year to do it. We are the better team this year.
I agree we need the win, but I am not certain we are the better team. They have Yoeli back who is an absolute force. Not sure who will be able to guard Yoeli. They have a lot of good players and have been playing well. They also shoot the 3 ball well. I certainly think we can win, but this will be a very tough game for the Aggies. I certainly hope we do and will be there cheering as loud as I can.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieBLUERUFiO

SLB

Post by SLB » December 9th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 12:39 pm
I agree we need the win, but I am not certain we are the better team. They have Yoeli back who is an absolute force. Not sure who will be able to guard Yoeli. They have a lot of good players and have been playing well. They also shoot the 3 ball well. I certainly think we can win, but this will be a very tough game for the Aggies. I certainly hope we do and will be there cheering as loud as I can.
I really want their best and beat them.

usu99

Post by usu99 » December 9th, 2019, 12:54 pm

The way we have been shooting this could be a blowout loss.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 9th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:

If BYU is hitting their three-pointers, it could be a long night for the Aggies. We will most definitely "monster" Childs in the post (with a combination of Queta, Bean, Anderson, and Dorius). The perimeter players are going to get a workout chasing the passes around the horn as we double Childs on the block. We will be essentially trying to guard 4 guys with 3.

Childs creates a problem in that he can shoot from the outside. If Queta or Dorius gets pulled away from the basket to defend Childs from shooting beyond the free throw line, they are not quick enough to keep up with him driving to the basket. We may be forced into our "small" lineup a lot in this game, especially if Queta is not in condition to play extended minutes and is not effective on the offensive end of the floor. I see Bean guarding Childs a lot this game. If we can't rely on Queta to take advantage of his size by scoring around the basket, I don't know how much he will help in this game.

I think Merrill can guard Toolson effectively. Porter is going to have his hands full trying to keep up with Haws. It's usually the "other" BYU guy that has a career night against the Aggies. Some role player seems to go off on us offensively every game and then does nothing the rest of the year.

If the Aggies shoot like they have in the last couple of games, they will get blown out. They must hit their shots. The game plan had better be to get Bean, Anderson, and Queta the ball down low on nearly every possession. That's where the Aggies have the advantage and that's where they will win the game. If this turns into a three-point competition, Aggies lose. Merrill will be able to drive to the basket on whoever they put on him. Hopefully he gets the calls that he has not been getting when he goes to the floor. He could put them in foul trouble himself. He is too big for any of their wing players to guard him on the drive. I would suggest we consider posting him up on the block and pulling the 4 and 5 men away from the basket. I think Merrill could be effective there.

Eutaw St. Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Come on folks. One game at a time. Need to take care of Saint Kathrine’s first! Don’t sleep on the Firebirds! BYU game won’t even matter if we lose tomorrow.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » December 9th, 2019, 2:32 pm

We're reading too much into the missed shots thing. We have very good shooters and they'll get out of their funk. What better way to get out of the funk than against BYU. My hope is we play focused and with a chip on our shoulder. If we outrebound and out hustle them, we'll win. GATA! Lets go Aggies! I have a really good feeling about this week.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » December 9th, 2019, 6:57 pm

In terms of difficult matchups, Childs is very tough. Bean needs to guard him. He's too physical for Fonzo, IMO, or anyone else for that matter without a completely healthy Queta.

Barcelo is going to give Porter fits, also. I hope I'm wrong.

Otherwise, assuming our Aggies play to their potential, we'll be fine. I think Merrill guarding Haws or Toolson is a matchup he can handle.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 9th, 2019, 7:07 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 6:57 pm
In terms of difficult matchups, Childs is very tough. Bean needs to guard him. He's too physical for Fonzo, IMO, or anyone else for that matter without a completely healthy Queta.

Barcelo is going to give Porter fits, also. I hope I'm wrong.

Otherwise, assuming our Aggies play to their potential, we'll be fine. I think Merrill guarding Haws or Toolson is a matchup he can handle.
Do you think bean could give him fits?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 9th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Brito is a good wing or off guard defender. Could see him guard Toolson or Barcelo. Maybe even put him on Haws to slow him down.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 9th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Can we just not play the game because if we lose damn near the entire fan base does in to a depression spiral for the rest of the season.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 9th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 7:43 pm
Can we just not play the game because if we lose damn near the entire fan base does in to a depression spiral for the rest of the season.
Apparently you don't realize that a win against BYU-Provo is, perhaps, the most important victory of the year. I will glory in might when we beat them into the ground. And I reserve the right to have a season-long depression spiral if we lose.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » December 9th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 8:35 pm
Aggieiester wrote:
Apparently you don't realize that a win against BYU-Provo is, perhaps, the most important victory of the year. I will glory in might when we beat them into the ground. And I reserve the right to have a season-long depression spiral if we lose.
I'm hoping this is sarcasm...

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 9th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Turtle wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 8:35 pm
Aggieiester wrote:
I'm hoping this is sarcasm...
Yeah, only slightly. It's mostly sarcasm, but it's also partially true. Would it be the biggest or most important victory? No. It's an expression of the deep loathing I hold for them. And one that I will not rescind.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Turtle

Turtle

Post by Turtle » December 9th, 2019, 8:44 pm

That is fair. I share the loathing. I want to win by 30+. It is certainly an important game, but I would rank games against top-tier conference foes as a bit more important overall.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 10th, 2019, 6:11 am

I actually think BYU is the better team right now. We would have to play our best game to best them
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 10th, 2019, 6:22 am

Chatman wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 6:11 am
I actually think BYU is the better team right now. We would have to play our best game to best them
I do too. If we had Queta going and at full strength it would be a different story. But BYU is a really good team right now with Yoeli Childs back. They lost that Utah game because Utah played out of their minds and Childs went out with cramping in his leg. That's when Utah went on their run.

BYU followed it up with a 33 point win over UNLV (they were up 21 at halftime). They have been shooting the lights out and Childs has been nearly unstoppable in the post. I'm afraid I'm expecting BYU to win this one.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 10th, 2019, 8:14 am

UStateTim wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 2:32 pm
We're reading too much into the missed shots thing. We have very good shooters and they'll get out of their funk. What better way to get out of the funk than against BYU. My hope is we play focused and with a chip on our shoulder. If we outrebound and out hustle them, we'll win. GATA! Lets go Aggies! I have a really good feeling about this week.
Our very good shooters are currently shooting worse than 39% of all D1 teams (ranked #139). BYU is ranked #22 in FG%. Our 3-point % is at #151. BYU is ranked #6.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2019, 8:20 am

utaggies wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 8:14 am
UStateTim wrote:
Our very good shooters are currently shooting worse than 39% of all D1 teams (ranked #139). BYU is ranked #22 in FG%. Our 3-point % is at #151. BYU is ranked #6.
The key to the game will be to keep pressure on their shooters and make them shoot long contested 3's. Hopefully this will prevent them from making very many of them. Easier said than done.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » December 10th, 2019, 8:54 am

BYU is a very good team this year. They are also uncommonly goofy looking, even by BYU-Provo standards, which makes them more dangerous.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 10th, 2019, 8:54 am

Aggieiester wrote:
Disagree completely. Rivalries are tons of fun. I hate that it is played on a neutral court though. This should be in the spectrum. Also it sucks to lose to byu, but it doesn't define the season. Last year was awesome despite our blip to byu.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
MrBiggle

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 10th, 2019, 8:56 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
Nah queta is better than childs. That absolute force cant even get them a win in the nit let alone a trip to the dance. Merrill is one of the top players in the country, better than any zoob. We have a great supporting cast with bean, Anderson and others. We are the team that was an 8 seed in the dance last year. We are the ranked team. BYU is the team that failed to win 20 games in the wcc and has losses to boise, sdsu and a bad utah team. Bring them on.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 10th, 2019, 9:04 am

December 10th, 2019, 8:56 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
Nah queta is better than childs. That absolute force cant even get them a win in the nit let alone a trip to the dance. Merrill is one of the top players in the country, better than any zoob. We have a great supporting cast with bean, Anderson and others. We are the team that was an 8 seed in the dance last year. We are the ranked team. BYU is the team that failed to win 20 games in the wcc and has losses to boise, sdsu and a bad utah team. Bring them on.
BYU has truly a good top 3 players of the team, but depth is BYU's weakness. Look at the Utah game, Childs goes down so does the team at the forward position, and later Haws fouled out and game was over at that point.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 10th, 2019, 9:06 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
Except Queta isn't close to 100% right now and he's on a minutes restriction of 5 minutes per half.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » December 10th, 2019, 9:08 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 8:14 am
UStateTim wrote:
The key to the game will be to keep pressure on their shooters and make them shoot long contested 3's. Hopefully this will prevent them from making very many of them. Easier said than done.
Queta playing and playing good minutes is the key for this game with their 3 pt shooting. Queta can limit or nullify Childs down low. They will likely try pulling him out or the perimeter to pull Queta out. This is our danger and where the game will be won or lost. If Queta can maintain presence down low, that will allow our guards to overplay the 3pt line. When we overplay we are vulnerable to the drives and cuts which if Queta is there is what we want. They will have to pull up short and float it over Queta. After a few blocked shots they will be less likely to want to do that and will resort back to their 3pt shooting, even contested. This should drive their shooting percentage down and give us a shot. We need to our rebound them and give them no 2nd chance points.

Childs is the wild card. If he is pulling out to the perimeter and hitting 3’s, that will force Queta out of position, which will force our guards to not overplay the 3 so we don’t give up easy layups. Then the 3’s will start raining. If this is how the game plays out then only their own bad off night shooting performance will save us. I don’t think right now we can get in a shootout with them. I wish we even had Kuba tonight to spell Queta. That presence down low is the key in this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLB

Post by SLB » December 10th, 2019, 9:10 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:06 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
Except Queta isn't close to 100% right now and he's on a minutes restriction of 5 minutes per half.
You are assuming 5 minutes per half after a week on a 5 minute per half restriction. :headscratch:

GUS

Post by GUS » December 10th, 2019, 9:44 am

His restriction was no more than 20 minutes per game done in 5 minute increments. So he could play half the game.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 10th, 2019, 9:46 am

GUS wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:44 am
His restriction was no more than 20 minutes per game done in 5 minute increments. So he could play half the game.
My guess is that Queta plays 15-20 minutes today.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 10th, 2019, 10:27 am

GUS wrote:
Craig Smith literally said in his press conference that Neemias is on a 10 minute restriction for the game.

His commentary starts at 4:45
https://www.1069thefan.com/podcast/the- ... er-9-2019/
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
MrBiggle

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » December 10th, 2019, 11:49 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 10:27 am
GUS wrote:
Craig Smith literally said in his press conference that Neemias is on a 10 minute restriction for the game.

So you're saying he failed his finals this week? I hear what you're saying loud and clear...

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:06 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
If I remember last year with a healthy Queta, Childs still dominated us. Queta this year is coming off the injury and will probably be several weeks before he is impacting the team like he was last year (hopefully). BYU is very good this year. I do think that loss really stung for the team. I have a feeling Coach Smith will have the team ready to play. I am hoping we can get the victory as it has been a long time coming. Be nice for Sam to be able to experience beating them once.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 10th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 10:27 am
GUS wrote:

Fake news!

Locked Previous topicNext topic