Did we learn anything from the St Katherine game?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Did we learn anything from the St Katherine game?

Post by sam tingey » December 10th, 2019, 9:46 pm

I didn't gather much other than Miller can put up a lot of shots and our guys can really put the hurt on a crappy team. I mean if the crowd doesn't even have an "airball" chant in them , then there isn't much to the game. i am sad that we were put in a position to play this game, but I will take it for the scrimmage it was before BYU.

Now BYU destroying Nevada has me very worried.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Did we learn anything from the St Katherine game?

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2019, 9:58 pm

We'll destroy Nevada too.

usu99

Post by usu99 » December 11th, 2019, 8:17 am

I think we learned we are not as good as we thought either. To not shoot 50% against a team of this caliber is just not good. I don't think we are nearly as good a shooting team as everyone thought and Miller brings that average way down by himself. Bairstow looks to have shot horrible tonight as well.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » December 11th, 2019, 9:14 am

Seems like it it might have been a good time to continuing warming up Queta, but I don't think he played. Hope he's ok from the FSU game.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » December 11th, 2019, 9:35 am

usu99 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 8:17 am
I think we learned we are not as good as we thought either. To not shoot 50% against a team of this caliber is just not good. I don't think we are nearly as good a shooting team as everyone thought and Miller brings that average way down by himself. Bairstow looks to have shot horrible tonight as well.
I suppose it's possible you're right, but 5 of the 8 players who played over 10 minutes shot over 50%, and Brito's 5-11 effort was just a notch below. Also, two of our highest FG% guys were on the bench tonight and the percentage was brought down significantly by Miller going 8-22 (6-19 on 3s) and Bairstow going 2-8 (1-4 on 3s). I got the sense what really happened was Smith wanted to use this "game" as an opportunity to see if Miller could eventually shoot the 3 as well in a game situation as he shoots it in practice. In a meaningless game, I 100% agree with this this strategy. Miller could be our X-factor as this season wears on, and it is critical to get him out of his slump. How could it be anything else? Smith kept letting Miller shoot, and he kept shooting.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » December 11th, 2019, 10:03 am

usu99 wrote:
Give me a break. Did you watch the game? I don’t think our team was really dialed in and focused the whole time. It’s St. Katherine. The game doesn’t even count!

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » December 11th, 2019, 10:21 am

usu99 wrote:
I think we learned we are not as good as we thought either.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 3):
Aggs&Jazz12Real Life AggieMetsJetsAggies

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » December 11th, 2019, 10:34 am

I really liked what I saw from Bairstow in this game. I know he shot poorly but he was really aggressive at taking it in the lane and trying to finish around the rim. He had pretty decent control in the lane for a true freshman. He needs to work on his finishing but there is a lot of potential there.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » December 11th, 2019, 11:43 am

usu99 wrote:
If Bean and Dorius hadn't been trying to pad their rebounding stats when they missed 6 shots in a row, alternating rebounding each other's misses, we would have been at 53% (41-77).
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 3):
ChicAggieaggies22Real Life Aggie

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 11th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Winning Team wrote:
usu99 wrote:
Give me a break. Did you watch the game? I don’t think our team was really dialed in and focused the whole time. It’s St. Katherine. The game doesn’t even count!
Once we got up 15-0 it got sloppy. Came out second half and pounded for 4-5 minutes then got sloppy again. Probably a lot to do with lineups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » December 11th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Any of us who have played have been told that a shot with a good arch is better than a flat one for obvious reasons, but sometimes I feel like Miller's is gonna disappear in the stratosphere. Almost seems too exaggerated but what do I know.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2019, 1:18 pm

We learned we are 45 points better than St. Katherine. There should be no reading into this game as it truly is no better than an exhibition. I will note that I think it was good for Bairstow to play extended minutes and get more comfortable. I still have super high hopes for him and think he can become a really solid player for us.

Locked Previous topicNext topic