Some actual Basketball talk: BYU vs USU

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
frankiesaysrelax

Re: Some actual Basketball talk: BYU vs USU

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 12th, 2019, 2:53 pm

We should still beat them on the boards. I listened to their annoying coach grumble talk the other night during the Nevada game about how their main weakness is rebounding and how they know they will lose the battle most nights and when they do win it's a bonus. This is one thing that gives me some hope. It seems like our last conference games against SJSU and Fresno we were limited on the offensive boards especially against Fresno. Most of our offensive trips were one and done with no second-chance points. I could be wrong so if someone wants to throw a stat that says otherwise in my face, I will deserve to be called out.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 12th, 2019, 2:58 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 2:53 pm
We should still beat them on the boards. I listened to their annoying coach grumble talk the other night during the Nevada game about how their main weakness is rebounding and how they know they will lose the battle most nights and when they do win it's a bonus. This is one thing that gives me some hope. It seems like our last conference games against SJSU and Fresno we were limited on the offensive boards especially against Fresno. Most of our offensive trips were one and done with no second-chance points. I could be wrong so if someone wants to throw a stat that says otherwise in my face, I will deserve to be called out.
I'll call myself out on this one. We average around 12.8 offensive rebounds a game and we had 16 against SJSU and 11 against FSU. So it wasn't a big enough margin against Fresno to say we didn't get the o boards, it just felt like it though.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 12th, 2019, 3:01 pm

As stated before, BYU is actually really good. They never would've lost to Utah had Childs not left the game with cramping and TJ Haws being fouled out. Utah made a furious comeback once those things happened. BYU has absolutely dominated UNLV & Nevada their past two games. They're honestly playing the best basketball I've seen them play since Jimmer Fredette was there.

I just don't see how we guard Childs inside without Queta being fully back or Karwowski. I think it's a pipe dream to think that Bean could guard him in the post. Bean is giving up so much length and weight to Childs. Childs is really skilled in the post and is an extremely quick jumper.

We need to get really hot from outside this game to have a chance I think. I sure wish we had Queta fully ready to go.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » December 12th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Child’s is gonna do some serious damage. I agree that maybe if we had Queta at full strength we would do alright, but my normal overly optimistic self is telling me Queta will still be on limited minutes if he even plays. Hoping for a good game though!

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » December 12th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Just noticed this online and thought it was amusing:

That's about as close as it gets!

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 12th, 2019, 4:47 pm

HPAGGIE wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 10:56 am
We need to go in there with some confidence, that we are the better team and we are going to play the game our way. It seems to me in years past that when we play this game, it for some reason gets into our heads and we don't play our best ball, kind of takes us out of who we are (as was mentioned above). Other than this I think the keys are to out rebound them on both ends of the floor, take good 3 point shots, hit our free throws and not turn the ball over. And lastly be aggressive at attacking Childs, see if we can get him off the court with foul trouble. GO AGGIES!!
Totally agree. I don't know why we always wet out pants against them even when by all accounts are the better team. Also have bad memories of horrible refereeing in some of the recent contests. Does anyone know where they are getting the officiating crew from for this contest?
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » December 12th, 2019, 10:05 pm

My concern is foul trouble. I think we will have Bean defending Childs and the calls are going to go against Bean in the beginning and we will be without him early. I hope I’m wrong. I hope it’s the other way, childs can’t stop Bean and gets in foul trouble early himself. That would open up Sam to drive a lot more without child’s protecting the rim.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » December 13th, 2019, 8:13 am

My guess is that Anderson will be on Childs during long stretches of the game. He is bigger and can hopefully have a better chance of holding him in check.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 13th, 2019, 11:55 am

I think we'll see some hackayoeli. We've got a bunch of big bodies with fouls to give.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 13th, 2019, 12:11 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 11:55 am
I think we'll see some hackayoeli. We've got a bunch of big bodies with fouls to give.
The problem with that strategy is they have a bunch of good foul shooters and if they're in the bonus too quickly that could spell trouble for us, Peck.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 13th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 12:11 pm
USU78 wrote:
The problem with that strategy is they have a bunch of good foul shooters and if they're in the bonus too quickly that could spell trouble for us, Peck.
Beat the bully up for 3/4 of the game and his arms and legs are too exhausted and beat up to be effective the final 1/4. Whether Childs can shoot free throws is irrelevant.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 13th, 2019, 12:48 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Beat the bully up for 3/4 of the game and his arms and legs are too exhausted and beat up to be effective the final 1/4. Whether Childs can shoot free throws is irrelevant.
I'm talking about their good shooting guards, not Childs. We will inevitably commit other fouls on other players and if those lead to foul shots, that's no bueno for us.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 13th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 12:48 pm
USU78 wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
USU78 wrote:
I'm talking about their good shooting guards, not Childs. We will inevitably commit other fouls on other players and if those lead to foul shots, that's no bueno for us.
Me, too. HackaShack presumed the other for defenders would guard the perimeter, so that the monster wouldn't command so much attention that people could easily get clear.

jAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by jAggie » December 13th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 3:01 pm
As stated before, BYU is actually really good. They never would've lost to Utah had Childs not left the game with cramping and TJ Haws being fouled out. Utah made a furious comeback once those things happened. BYU has absolutely dominated UNLV & Nevada their past two games. They're honestly playing the best basketball I've seen them play since Jimmer Fredette was there.

I just don't see how we guard Childs inside without Queta being fully back or Karwowski. I think it's a pipe dream to think that Bean could guard him in the post. Bean is giving up so much length and weight to Childs. Childs is really skilled in the post and is an extremely quick jumper.

We need to get really hot from outside this game to have a chance I think. I sure wish we had Queta fully ready to go.
Bean is 6'7" 210 and Yolie is 6'8" 225 Its not that much of a difference.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 13th, 2019, 3:24 pm

jAggie wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 3:20 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 3:01 pm

I believe you will see tomorrow night that it is actually quite a significant difference.

jAggie

Post by jAggie » December 13th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 3:24 pm
I believe you will see tomorrow night that it is actually quite a significant difference.
I've seen Yolie play in almost every game this year. I think what makes him so good is the fact that he can parameter shoot. While he has strength its not going to be the x-factor. Its if he is also shooting and making threes, that's going to be the problem. Guarding Yolie in the post doesn't concern me. We have the rebound advantage and the size over all. The xfactor will be BYUs parameter shots.
These users thanked the author jAggie for the post (total 2):
frankiesaysrelaxAggieFBObsession

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » December 13th, 2019, 4:53 pm

jAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I've seen Yolie play in almost every game this year. I think what makes him so good is the fact that he can parameter shoot. While he has strength its not going to be the x-factor. Its if he is also shooting and making threes, that's going to be the problem. Guarding Yolie in the post doesn't concern me. We have the rebound advantage and the size over all. The xfactor will be BYUs parameter shots.
So you have seen him play 2.75 games?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 13th, 2019, 6:12 pm

jAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Do you realize Yoeli was suspended for the first 9 games, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » December 13th, 2019, 7:53 pm

The other thing is we cannot allow is for Miller to “shoot us out of the game” while he attempts to find his range. If he’s not hitting, I think Smith needs to immediately go with Brito, who is a little more heady, and willing to take it to the rack if the 3-pointer is not working, while Brock stands out on the 3-point line with his hands out waiting for a pass to jack up another attempt. We just cannot have that if he’s not hitting those shots, IMO.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggie75

Post by Aggie75 » December 13th, 2019, 8:40 pm

I agree. If Miller goes his usual 2 for 12 from 3, we might as well stay home and watch reruns.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » December 13th, 2019, 9:36 pm

A lot of doubt in the Aggies and a lot of praise for the zoobies

jAggie

Post by jAggie » December 13th, 2019, 9:45 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 6:12 pm
jAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Do you realize Yoeli was suspended for the first 9 games, right?

Yep I saw the highlights of the Utah game, and watched all of UNLV and Nevada. "Every game" as in every game he has played.....Utah being the one I missed cause I was on the road. I still stand by my assessment. BYU will win if Childs is hitting outside shots. We wont lose by just his post play.

kfbob
Been thanked: 0

Post by kfbob » December 13th, 2019, 11:30 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Bean on Childs, all night long. Let the man do his work of death. Childs will head straight to the NBA right after this game if all goes as planned, in search of easier competition.

Dude put down the pipe. Bean is an average athlete with average length... Child will dominate him.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 14th, 2019, 7:08 am

kfbob wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 11:30 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Bean on Childs, all night long. Let the man do his work of death. Childs will head straight to the NBA right after this game if all goes as planned, in search of easier competition.

Dude put down the pipe. Bean is an average athlete with average length... Child will dominate him.
Average athlete? The guy has a 40 inch vertical and one of the reason he collects so many rebounds is he is also a quick jumper.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » December 14th, 2019, 8:14 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
jAggie wrote:
Not only that but it's more about the 4-5" of wingspan difference than the 1" of height difference. I have no idea what Bean's wingspan is, though. Maybe I'm wrong but it appears roughly neutral, so I assume he is giving up a lot on that front.
These users thanked the author MarioWest for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 14th, 2019, 8:36 am

MarioWest wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 8:14 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
jAggie wrote:
Not only that but it's more about the 4-5" of wingspan difference than the 1" of height difference. I have no idea what Bean's wingspan is, though. Maybe I'm wrong but it appears roughly neutral, so I assume he is giving up a lot on that front.
I don't care about height or wingspan or who is more athletic in this a argument, how about, Childs is just a better basketball player. That's it, he's just better. Not a slight on Bean, I love that kid, but it's just fact.

Go Aggies!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 14th, 2019, 8:57 am

Wow. Didn’t realize Youli was 6’11 290 with a 7’7” wingspan.
Second guessing my choice to bring my son to this game as he might tear into the stands and start eating children.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 14th, 2019, 9:06 am

He's not William Wallace out there, no lightening bolts coming coming out his arse. He is better than Bean though.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Go Aggies!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 14th, 2019, 9:49 am

I have a feeling coach Smith learned a thing or two from last years game.
I feel Smith versus Pope could be the most important factor.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » December 14th, 2019, 9:51 am

The thing I love is that we have a team of warriors. I don’t see this team getting blown out tonight. Like the last comment said, Smith will have them ready!

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 14th, 2019, 10:33 am

From what I'm reading here, the only debate is how much we will lose by. Will we get blown out or struggle to keep it close.

I live 2500 miles away so forgive me, but are we a worthy top 25 team or not? If so, is BYU a top 10 team?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 14th, 2019, 10:41 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:From what I'm reading here, the only debate is how much we will lose by. Will we get blown out or struggle to keep it close.

I live 2500 miles away so forgive me, but are we a worthy top 25 team or not? If so, is BYU a top 10 team?
Without Queta, we might not be.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 14th, 2019, 11:40 am

Man!! Reading this post makes me wonder why I’m even going to the game tonight. It’s been mentioned that the team needs confidence, but what about confidence as fans? I get it that we need to have honest discussion about the Aggies abilities, but at some point I would hope we put all that aside and go to the game, yell loud and cheer for the Aggies to whoop some Cougar (I can't express myself without swearing).

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 14th, 2019, 12:10 pm

I hate hate hate the parochial stench.

3futureaggies

Post by 3futureaggies » December 14th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Bean's hustle wingspan is 12' 17"
These users thanked the author 3futureaggies for the post (total 2):
Aggie19flying_scotsman2.0

Locked Previous topicNext topic