Anybody else love the neutral court?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TrueAggieman

Anybody else love the neutral court?

Post by TrueAggieman » December 15th, 2019, 3:10 pm

I am just curious because I’ve only heard negative opinions, does anybody else enjoy the neutral game against BYU? I thought the atmosphere last night was a great time. Yeah it sucks so bad that we lost, but we had more fans there and were certainly louder than BYU despite them being closer to Salt Lake. It’s super fun to do the Scotsman and fight song and be proud Aggies... when we’re just in the spectrum, it’s awesome, but it’s just us, no one to be in the face of. Curious if I’m alone, or if anybody else would like to do a neutral game every third year.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

FloridaAggie13

Re: Anybody else love the neutral court?

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 15th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Yeah, you are either alone, or in the vast minority.

One of the great appeals of college basketball is the aura of the home court.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 15th, 2019, 3:39 pm

I like neutral court games, because I think you get a much better idea of who the better team actually is.

I have no doubt we would have beaten SMC just about anywhere but Moraga.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2019, 3:48 pm

USU v Weebe in SLC is a neutral court game.

USU v stench in SLC with stench refs, stench rebroadcast rights, and stench production crew ain't.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieJjoey53

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 15th, 2019, 3:56 pm

I think we should have a game in Vivent every year but not vs the in state schools. That way the players could have a chance to play on a NBA court they probably grew up watching games on and vs a quality opponent, but keep great home atmospheres for the in state games such as USU vs BYU. I think Vivent would be perfect for inviting a good out of state team to come play us in as that would hopefully be enticing enough to get one to Utah. A team like Arizona State, Colorado, Washington/Wazzu, Cal, Oklahoma State, K-State or along those lines would be awesome! Probably would not get Kansas, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, and other top programs historically, but could still get a decent game.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 4):
ChupamediaProvoAggieoleblu111Stucki

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 15th, 2019, 3:59 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 3:56 pm
I think we should have a game in Vivent every year but not vs the in state schools. That way the players could have a chance to play on a NBA court they probably grew up watching games on and vs a quality opponent, but keep great home atmospheres for the in state games such as USU vs BYU. I think Vivent would be perfect for inviting a good out of state team to come play us in as that would hopefully be enticing enough to get one to Utah. A team like Arizona State, Colorado, Washington/Wazzu, Cal, Oklahoma State, K-State or along those lines would be awesome! Probably would not get Kansas, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, and other top programs historically, but could still get a decent game.
Probably not going to convince the second tier P5s to come to Vivint to play USU either.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 15th, 2019, 4:07 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 3:39 pm
I like neutral court games, because I think you get a much better idea of who the better team actually is.

I have no doubt we would have beaten SMC just about anywhere but Moraga.
And that is fine in the conference or ncaa tournament, but not for in state rivalries. Hypothetically if we could get a big time opponent to play us in SLC that wouldn't come to Logan I'd be for it. If Michigan State would play us in SLC, sure let's schedule that game. Not or our rivals where fans camp out to see them in the spectrum.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 15th, 2019, 4:09 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 3:39 pm
Yeah, you are either alone, or in the vast minority.

One of the great appeals of college basketball is the aura of the home court.
Yep. There is no sport where homecourt matters more than college basketball.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 15th, 2019, 4:13 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 3:59 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
Probably not going to convince the second tier P5s to come to Vivint to play USU either.
Or at least a good mid major. Maybe a better fit would be teams like Oregon State, Washington State, TCU, Houston, Memphis, San Francisco, UC Irvine, etc.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 15th, 2019, 4:14 pm

TrueAggieman wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 3:10 pm
I am just curious because I’ve only heard negative opinions, does anybody else enjoy the neutral game against BYU? I thought the atmosphere last night was a great time. Yeah it sucks so bad that we lost, but we had more fans there and were certainly louder than BYU despite them being closer to Salt Lake. It’s super fun to do the Scotsman and fight song and be proud Aggies... when we’re just in the spectrum, it’s awesome, but it’s just us, no one to be in the face of. Curious if I’m alone, or if anybody else would like to do a neutral game every third year.
I have no problem with every 3rd game in SLC. That's 3 times every 10 years.

I also don't understand the complaining and arguing that games in SLC somehow favor BYU, or that it is a defacto BYU home game. Last night, if I read correctly, USU fans outnumbered BYU fans like 60/40. USU fans certainly sounded louder on TV. I think our fans were great!!

Regarding TV rights, I think the Jazz own them and sell to the highest bidder. Not sure why CBS Sports didn't try to get this game.

thetrueaggie

Post by thetrueaggie » December 15th, 2019, 4:28 pm

I am fine with neutral court games when teams on different sides of the country meet. Playing a neutral site game for an in-state game is dumb.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 15th, 2019, 4:57 pm

There were more aggie fans last night. The reffing was pretty equal. We just could not make enough shots. I hate losing to BYU as much as anyone else but the Silver Lining with last night is BYU is a really good team and that loss will not hurt our rankings very much.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 15th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 4:14 pm
TrueAggieman wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 3:10 pm
I have no problem with every 3rd game in SLC. That's 3 times every 10 years.

I also don't understand the complaining and arguing that games in SLC somehow favor BYU, or that it is a defacto BYU home game. Last night, if I read correctly, USU fans outnumbered BYU fans like 60/40. USU fans certainly sounded louder on TV. I think our fans were great!!

Regarding TV rights, I think the Jazz own them and sell to the highest bidder. Not sure why CBS Sports didn't try to get this game.
3 games out of 9 is a lot! No business playing these great rivalry games on a neutral court when the home atmosphere is so great. There is nothing like a great home court experience in college basketball. And there is no real reason for it. Yeah if Michigan State or Villanova would agree to play us in SLC when they wouldn't play us in Logan, ok. We don't need to play that game for byu though.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
GUS

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 15th, 2019, 5:35 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 3:48 pm

USU v stench in SLC with stench refs, stench rebroadcast rights, and stench production crew ain't.
Plus BYU has its own built-in fanbase wherever it goes. There is no neutral court game as far as BYU is concerned. How many ardent Aggie fans are there that never lived in Cache Valley or attended USU? I imagine there are very few. How many BYU fans are there that never attended BYU or live in Utah County? Tons.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
FaKofa

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » December 15th, 2019, 5:36 pm

utaggies wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 5:35 pm
USU78 wrote:

Plus BYU has its own built-in fanbase wherever it goes. There is no neutral court game as far as BYU is concerned. How many ardent Aggie fans are there that never lived in Cache Valley or attended USU? I imagine there are very few. How many BYU fans are there that never attended BYU or live in Utah County? Tons.
That’s very true, but we had more fans there last night.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 15th, 2019, 5:38 pm

No. We had a couple hundred students there last night instead of 3500+. The other fans showed up but students deserve to be able to see in/state rivalry games on their own courts.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 2):
sneedAggiesForever

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 15th, 2019, 5:40 pm

It isn't just about fan support, but playing in the Spectrum is better for USU than playing in the Delta Center.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 15th, 2019, 5:42 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 4:13 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 3:59 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
Or at least a good mid major. Maybe a better fit would be teams like Oregon State, Washington State, TCU, Houston, Memphis, San Francisco, UC Irvine, etc.
Almost all of those teams should be scheduled in the Spectrum. I'm fine if we give a couple of those a 2-1.... so long as over time we can build a steady enough stream of P5 and great mid major teams playing in Logan (and save Vivint for great P5 teams)

but we no longer fit the "If we win who cares, if we lose it's a bad loss" narrative. If we lose to Oregon State, Oregon State will likely pick up a Q1 win.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 15th, 2019, 6:01 pm

BYU used to get good opponents at Vivint but they've stopped the last few years. There was a time that they could get a Michigan State, Oklahoma State and others to come but those teams won't do it anymore unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » December 15th, 2019, 6:10 pm

USU78 wrote:

FWIW, I believe those were MWC refs, at least the one with the white hair is one of our own. I'm sure there are those who know more details of their origins.
Bean did get screwed in this game, for sure.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2019, 6:13 pm

And they permitted the stench players to beat up on Sam like crazy. Plus the Trey they refused to review.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2019, 6:14 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 6:01 pm
BYU used to get good opponents at Vivint but they've stopped the last few years. There was a time that they could get a Michigan State, Oklahoma State and others to come but those teams won't do it anymore unfortunately.

Why unfortunately?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 15th, 2019, 6:31 pm

USU78 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Why unfortunately?
Because it means that we most likely couldn't get teams like that to come to Salt Lake either. I agree that it would be fun to get a bigger team to play us there each year as well but the data suggests that isn't likely to happen.

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
USU78

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 15th, 2019, 6:32 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
USU78 wrote:

FWIW, I believe those were MWC refs, at least the one with the white hair is one of our own. I'm sure there are those who know more details of their origins.
Something that not many people realize is that the Pac-12, MWC and WCC among others use a lot of the same officials. There is a consortium that all of the conferences work with.
https://themw.com/news/2016/8/15/57b1e4 ... ath=mbball

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
oleblu111

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2019, 6:36 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 6:32 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
USU78 wrote:

Something that not many people realize is that the Pac-12, MWC and WCC among others use a lot of the same officials. There is a consortium that all of the conferences work with.
And it's just a coincidence that Bean got hosed in the first half while our guards were getting the crap kicked out of them.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » December 15th, 2019, 8:42 pm

LOATHE IT!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 15th, 2019, 9:01 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 6:36 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 6:32 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
USU78 wrote:

And it's just a coincidence that Bean got hosed in the first half while our guards were getting the crap kicked out of them.
Probably. Refs are human, but I imagine 99.9999% do the best job they can and don't have biases for or against certain teams. I don't have a problem with people complaining about bad calls, but I don't think any refs are purposely screwing over USU. Mistakes happen.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 15th, 2019, 9:02 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 6:31 pm
USU78 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Why unfortunately?
Because it means that we most likely couldn't get teams like that to come to Salt Lake either. I agree that it would be fun to get a bigger team to play us there each year as well but the data suggests that isn't likely to happen.

Too bad. I'm not for playing any of our standard games in the Delta Center, but hypothetically matchups against P5 opponents who wouldn't come to the Spectrum would be fun. Oh well.

sneed

Post by sneed » December 15th, 2019, 9:04 pm

This one was by far the best atmosphere but still should be played if front of the students.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 15th, 2019, 10:31 pm

No, no, no. No.

Unless it's a tournament, or a game vs UCLA or comparable program (i.e.not a peer, or school from Utah), I will never attend a neutral-site game. Never.

No.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » December 15th, 2019, 11:14 pm

https://www.ksl.com/article/46691366/wh ... ps-in-utah

Craig Smith is on my side. That’s all I need. Suck it :P

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 15th, 2019, 11:48 pm

TrueAggieman wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Ask him if he'd rather play at Vivint every year or the spectrum every other year.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » December 15th, 2019, 11:55 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 11:48 pm
TrueAggieman wrote:

Ask him if he'd rather play at Vivint every year or the spectrum every other year.
That’s not the point. Obviously nobody never wants to play at the Spectrum.

GarciaValdez

Post by GarciaValdez » December 16th, 2019, 1:29 am

I loved going to these games over at the Vinvint arena. They were always around Christmas and 15 minutes away from my home. That being said, we have a terrible record for wins there. I remember back in the day playing Weber at the Vivint. I believe we only beat them once or twice. Keep the games on campus.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 16th, 2019, 4:36 am

TrueAggieman wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 11:55 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 11:48 pm
TrueAggieman wrote:

That’s not the point. Obviously nobody never wants to play at the Spectrum.
No, it is exactly the point Do we just stop playing at the Spectrum because it is a tremendous home advantage and start playing in SLC?

Locked Previous topicNext topic