Anybody else love the neutral court?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

Re: Anybody else love the neutral court?

Post by OKAggie » December 16th, 2019, 6:09 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 4:36 am
TrueAggieman wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 11:55 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 11:48 pm
TrueAggieman wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 11:14 pm
https://www.ksl.com/article/46691366/wh ... ps-in-utah

Craig Smith is on my side. That’s all I need. Suck it :P
Ask him if he'd rather play at Vivint every year or the spectrum every other year.
That’s not the point. Obviously nobody never wants to play at the Spectrum.
No, it is exactly the point Do we just stop playing at the Spectrum because it is a tremendous home advantage and start playing in SLC?
We don't get to unilaterally choose who comes to the Spectrum, obviously - Kansas or Duke aren't coming, and evidently neither are the Running Wusses at the U (spare me that "P12 won't play at non P12" argument: CU still plays CSU home-and-home, to both their credit and their benefit.). And any time we can get a home-and-home against BYU we should do it.

But if they're not willing to do it (and Rose wasn't -- maybe Pope has more cojones) and your choices are (a)home-away-Vivint or (b)home-away-Eastern Oregon in the Spectrum, which is better for your program? I think Craig -- who has now had two seasons of trying to schedule teams to play in the Spectrum -- understands this better than the savants on this board.

Nobody here knows anything.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 16th, 2019, 7:11 am

The Basketball team plays a few away games vs high-profile teams with no return game. Like football, these are money games (not as much money as football, but still). Instead of taking cash, offer a return game in Vivint, maybe even a 2 away, 1 Vivint deal. Some teams may not take ANY game in Utah, but some will take a Vivit deal.

The point is that we should start working at getting a Vivint game vs a high-profile team each year. I'd love it. On the other hand we should never play an in-state school in Vivint nor should we play a peer or below team in Vivint unless it's part of a tournament.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 16th, 2019, 8:56 am

These types of games prepare us for March. I think that is a good thing. Maybe we could correlate our poor performance in Vivint to our poor performance in the Big Dance.

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » December 16th, 2019, 9:50 am

I may join you in the minority. Of course I won't disagree that I'd rather have games in the Spectrum, but neutral site games are still a ton of fun--part of why I love going to the conference tournament every time I can.

I love the back and forth between the fan bases, and was impressed by the Aggie turnout there on Saturday night. The place was rocking and it was a very fun atmosphere. Also, beer.

Look, for someone who lives in SLC and has four kids who have activities every damn night it just isn't reasonable to make it up to the Spectrum many times a year. I won't argue that games don't belong on campus but as long as I get the opportunity to go watch the Aggies close by (at very reasonable ticket prices) I'm taking full advantage!
These users thanked the author SweepDance for the post (total 2):
oleblu111TrueAggieman

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 16th, 2019, 10:17 am

I think we should just close the Spectrum and play "home" games at Vivint. That way the Duke's and the Kansas' of the world will finally play us. We should absolutely give up any advantage we might get at the Spectrum and make sure the "road" team feels more welcomed.

I'm sure our opponents will readily accommodate our wishes and find a neutral venue.

While we are at it. Home court just isn't fair. All games should be played on a neutral court with exactly the same number of fans attending for each team.

Problem solved!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 16th, 2019, 10:23 am

Nobody's brought it up, but taking games to sites remote from Logan cannot make the CofC happy.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 16th, 2019, 10:54 am

That was an issue when we did this previously.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 16th, 2019, 11:26 am

My goodness people we would play BYU once every three years in Salt Lake with other games with Weber and Utah. I thought and still do think it was a event that could help keep the SLC alums connected to USU thru one game a year down there. I do believe that this game really worked. The USU turn out was off the charts. Giving up one game a year is not that big of a deal, and in fact with Utah not playing in Logan it is not even that.

The name is Utah STATE University, remember the state is our campus, we are not Logan University.

I have got after the SLC folks for the lack of support, well they came thru this game.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 16th, 2019, 11:30 am

USU78 wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 10:23 am
Nobody's brought it up, but taking games to sites remote from Logan cannot make the CofC happy.
Half the posts on this board say that the local businesses don't support the Aggies anyway. (Maybe they're wrong -- I don't know anything.) So does the CofC really care about losing one date every three years? And if they do, what are they willing to do to make it worth it to the program to keep those games in town?

"Not pissing off the CofC" is at best a fourth-order priority for the AD after fans, players and coaches.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 16th, 2019, 11:31 am

oleblu111 wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 11:26 am

The name is Utah STATE University, remember the state is our campus, we are not Logan University.
I mean, but it's not. Our campus is in Logan. It's "State" because it's a state-funding, public university, not because we're an omnipresent collegiate entity that transcends cities, boundaries, and human understanding.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 16th, 2019, 11:52 am

OKAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 11:30 am
"Not pissing off the CofC" is at best a fourth-order priority for the AD after fans, players and coaches.
Which was why I waited so long to bring it up.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
OKAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 16th, 2019, 1:08 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
My goodness people we would play BYU once every three years in Salt Lake with other games with Weber and Utah. I thought and still do think it was a event that could help keep the SLC alums connected to USU thru one game a year down there. I do believe that this game really worked. The USU turn out was off the charts. Giving up one game a year is not that big of a deal, and in fact with Utah not playing in Logan it is not even that.

I have got after the SLC folks for the lack of support, well they came thru this game.
No. As a USU alumnus living just 15 minutes from Vivint, I refuse to watch USU play an in-state school in Vivint. I hate it. I'd love an annual game in Vivint, just not against an in-state team, and not against a team we can get to play home/home.
If we're making an exception to normal scheduling, make the opponent an exceptional one.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » December 16th, 2019, 1:37 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 11:52 am
OKAggie wrote:
Forgive me but...what is CofC?

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 16th, 2019, 1:41 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 1:37 pm
USU78 wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 11:52 am
OKAggie wrote:
Forgive me but...what is CofC?
Chamber of commerce
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
AgMan21

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 16th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 11:31 am
oleblu111 wrote:

I mean, but it's not. Our campus is in Logan. It's "State" because it's a state-funding, public university, not because we're an omnipresent collegiate entity that transcends cities, boundaries, and human understanding.
We have extension connections all over the state of Utah 25 campus state wide, that is what Land grants are for. One game away from isolated Logan and people have the come a parts, but then ask why do not more SLC alums support the school. Well they just did. Of course the classic is over so the debate is not needed.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 16th, 2019, 3:47 pm

What benefit of a Vivint game can only be had by playing an in-state team in Vivint? Emphasis on in-state team.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » December 16th, 2019, 8:36 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 3:47 pm
What benefit of a Vivint game can only be had by playing an in-state team in Vivint? Emphasis on in-state team.
All I really care about is enjoying the game. The back and forth between fanbases during an in State neutral game is so much fun, one that wouldn’t be there if we played a team from a big conference. All of you who refuse to go to Vivint for a game... to each his own, but y’all are missing out. Saturday was a good time.

I know people are worried about other issues which matter as well, so maybe you’re right. I’m clearly in the minority, and I’ll go the games and have a fun time not matter what so go Ags.
These users thanked the author TrueAggieman for the post:
SweepDance

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » December 16th, 2019, 8:43 pm

I mean, when else do I get a chance to piss off the in-arena cameraman by holding up my U-State hat in front of his lens when he’s trying to put some goofy @$$ BYU fans on the Jumbotron?
These users thanked the author SweepDance for the post (total 2):
USU78TrueAggieman

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 16th, 2019, 9:24 pm

I'm fine with playing a game at the Delta Center, but it should not be the byu game. Maybe we could play Hawaii or Irvine in SLC. They are good enough opponents to get fans to the arena in SLC if USU has a good team. It is unfair to the students, the university and the CoC to play such a monumental game away from Logan. Whether people on here like it or not byu is often are biggest game from an attendance standpoint. We are giving up a sold out Spectrum if we play byu in slc. That hurts Cache Valley not having that game in Logan.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 17th, 2019, 8:18 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 9:24 pm
I'm fine with playing a game at the Delta Center, but it should not be the byu game. Maybe we could play Hawaii or Irvine in SLC. They are good enough opponents to get fans to the arena in SLC if USU has a good team. It is unfair to the students, the university and the CoC to play such a monumental game away from Logan. Whether people on here like it or not byu is often are biggest game from an attendance standpoint. We are giving up a sold out Spectrum if we play byu in slc. That hurts Cache Valley not having that game in Logan.
You fine gentlemen are missing the point. We don't dictate our schedule, we negotiate it. When Rose was BYU's coach, he would only play the home/away/Vivint schedule (Pope seems to like the rivalry and might even relish the taking his team into a tough environment like the Spectrum every other year -- he scheduled the Duke/Kentucky bang-bang when he was at UVU after all -- but I doubt it.) If we can convince them to rotate between Logan and Provo every year, of course we take it.

But what if we can't? Are you saying another game in Logan every third year against East Chumpsville State -- the UTSA/Denver/NCA&Ts of the world, the types we're currently able to get to come to Logan -- is better for the program than having a Vivint game every third year against a perennial Top 100 program? If so, then we fundamentally disagree on what is best for the program. What's best for Cache Valley or the Chamber of Commerce isn't what's best for USU athletics.

Playing Hawaii or UCI in Vivint isn't going to be the same as playing BYU there. My guess is you'd get about 1/3 of the attendance, and remember we have to rent the joint. We'd probably lose money to play those guys there, without the fan involvement, media coverage or SOS/NET bump. Not optimal, shall we say?

The anti-BYU sentiment on this board (which I share, by the way) is affecting your thinking. The maxim "cut off your nose to spite your face" could have been written for some of you.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 2):
SweepDanceAGGZILLA

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 17th, 2019, 8:54 am

Let's do home and home each year then throw in a neutral every year or every other year...whatever. I think we just don't like the event because we have lost. Newsflash, we have lost 8 straight, even the home games. I think we need these neutral court games to get ready for March. It would be nice to also bring in some other schools to play as well.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
AGGZILLA

feeah

Post by feeah » December 17th, 2019, 9:13 am

No, I don't like it. I like wins vs BYU, if Saturday's game had been played in the Spectrum it most likely would have been a W.

We should only do Home and Home's with instate schools in my opinion.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » December 18th, 2019, 9:26 am

NVAggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 8:54 am
Let's do home and home each year then throw in a neutral every year or every other year...whatever. I think we just don't like the event because we have lost. Newsflash, we have lost 8 straight, even the home games. I think we need these neutral court games to get ready for March. It would be nice to also bring in some other schools to play as well.
Not enough thumbs up for this. I love neutral court games as I think they’re a fair indicator of just how good or bad a team really is. I also think they help with scheduling better teams that wouldn’t normally visit the friendly confines, which in turn helps SOS and the potential for racking up marquee wins for your resume. The more marquee wins you have, the greater chance a team has at getting selected for the tourney and receiving a higher seed placement. Like NV said, it’s really all about getting ready for March and neutral games help do just that. I’d prefer to do them close to home as possible, but if not at Vivint, then do them elsewhere. Should never be afraid to go out and play teams.
These users thanked the author AGGZILLA for the post:
NVAggie

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » December 18th, 2019, 9:32 am

AGGZILLA wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 9:26 am
NVAggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 8:54 am
Not enough thumbs up for this. I love neutral court games as I think they’re a fair indicator of just how good or bad a team really is. I also think they help with scheduling better teams that wouldn’t normally visit the friendly confines, which in turn helps SOS and the potential for racking up marquee wins for your resume. The more marquee wins you have, the greater chance a team has at getting selected for the tourney and receiving a higher seed placement. Like NV said, it’s really all about getting ready for March and neutral games help do just that. I’d prefer to do them close to home as possible, but if not at Vivint, then do them elsewhere. Should never be afraid to go out and play teams.
Then give me a thumbs up man!!!!!

Locked Previous topicNext topic