NCAA should change to 6 fouls

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

NCAA should change to 6 fouls

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 18th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Before fouling a player out. Why risk having star players on the bench When the sport is desperately clinging to relevancy outside of a few weeks in March? Seems like the precedent is set simply because 6 fouls is for the NBA, and it’s 48 minute game length, but who cares, they’re professionals. They collectively should be able to play more in control than amateurs.

Instead they continue making up new rules to give advantage to the offense and increase free throw shooting and lack of star power on the floor. It’s getting harder to watch.

918AGG

Re: NCAA should change to 6 fouls

Post by 918AGG » December 18th, 2019, 11:12 pm

I don't know if allowing 6 fouls to each player in a 40 minute game is a good idea, but I think that they should give everyone one extra foul to give for each overtime that the game goes into. This would, theoretically, mean that a player, who was once fouled out, could come back into the game with one foul to give in overtime. This might be interesting.

Also, they really need to reduce the shot clock again (maybe to 25 seconds). I'm not interested in watching each team leisurely walk the ball up the court 20 times a game. If it weren't for the Ags, I'd have nearly zero interest in college basketball.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 2):
IntermeddlerMrBiggle

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » December 19th, 2019, 12:27 am

I had the same thought tonight as I watched the game. They really do need to move to six fouls. As it is now fouls play too much of a role as to who wins the game. How many times do players pick up quick fouls early on in the game mostly due to poor officiating and then the player ends up sitting out most of the game. A great example was what happened to Bean in the BYU game. I have always hated the five foul rule in college basketball. Go Aggies!

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » December 19th, 2019, 8:23 am

HELL NO! I look forward to fouling the opposing power player out! I think that we should use it to our advantage more often. When their players are in foul trouble, lets take it to them!

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 19th, 2019, 9:18 am

BioAggie wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 8:23 am
HELL NO! I look forward to fouling the opposing power player out! I think that we should use it to our advantage more often. When their players are in foul trouble, lets take it to them!
Agreed. We foul out opposing team players more often than we foul out. Looking at it solely from what is best for out team, it seems like it's better as it stands right now.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 19th, 2019, 9:21 am

Why stop at six? Any argument that can be made for changing from five to six could be made for changing from five to ten.

If we're going to change the game, let's change it. Instead of DQing a guy with five fouls, let's make his team play 4-on-5 for one possession on each end for the sixth foul, two possessions for the seventh and so on -- like the hockey penalty box but better.

(And while we're at it, let's allow teams to opt to take the ball out instead of shooting free throws on a foul in the last two minutes (or, why not, for the whole game). Rarely do teams win a game with the foul/stop the clock/hope for a miss strategy that causes the last two minutes of the game to take 20 minutes on the clock, and they probably have as good a chance at getting a steal or turnover on the in-bounds pass.)
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
treesap32

Nobody here knows anything.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 19th, 2019, 9:24 am

They lost two guys; we lost two guys. Game worked like it is supposed to: those that remain end up being the deciders.

And we've got a Bean and they've got none!
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 19th, 2019, 10:44 am

I used to be against this kind of idea, but the 6 fouls would make it to be harder BS foul trouble key players. I approve of the 6 foul idea.

FaKofa

Post by FaKofa » December 19th, 2019, 2:50 pm

I think the team fouls should reset in overtime as well. Make the bonus 4, or something.

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » December 19th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Id agree about 6. 3 fouls per half. It would make the in-game management easier for coaches and the game smoother. 5 fouls has never made much sense to me.

aggietime

Post by aggietime » December 19th, 2019, 3:10 pm

The real problem with changing fouls from 5 to 6 is teaching college refs to count that high. Based on the quality of reffing I've seen this year, that's going to be a real challenge.
These users thanked the author aggietime for the post (total 2):
Usu0505AggieFBObsession

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » December 19th, 2019, 3:14 pm

aggietime wrote:The real problem with changing fouls from 5 to 6 is teaching college refs to count that high. Based on the quality of reffing I've seen this year, that's going to be a real challenge.
No joke. And the bad calls go both ways, albeit I think we receive more than we should, but the Reffing is so inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » December 19th, 2019, 5:42 pm

6 is the threshold for NBA, right? They play 60 minutes of regulation. We play 40. Really, we should drop it to 4 fouls a game if it's going to be proportional.

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » December 19th, 2019, 6:26 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 5:42 pm
6 is the threshold for NBA, right? They play 60 minutes of regulation. We play 40. Really, we should drop it to 4 fouls a game if it's going to be proportional.
They play 48. They also never call fouls on star players. :)

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 20th, 2019, 9:36 am

OKAggie wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 9:21 am
Why stop at six? Any argument that can be made for changing from five to six could be made for changing from five to ten.

If we're going to change the game, let's change it. Instead of DQing a guy with five fouls, let's make his team play 4-on-5 for one possession on each end for the sixth foul, two possessions for the seventh and so on -- like the hockey penalty box but better.

(And while we're at it, let's allow teams to opt to take the ball out instead of shooting free throws on a foul in the last two minutes (or, why not, for the whole game). Rarely do teams win a game with the foul/stop the clock/hope for a miss strategy that causes the last two minutes of the game to take 20 minutes on the clock, and they probably have as good a chance at getting a steal or turnover on the in-bounds pass.)
I like the foul "Penalty Box" idea. Would make it very interesting.

However, I like changes that make game endings more exciting. I would prefer that college allow teams to call a timeout and advance the ball to half-court like the pros. I do think that fouling to stop the clock can make a game more exciting and we have utilized it to win games in the past, but if you want the team with a seemingly insurmountable lead to just win the game your idea would be ideal.

For ends of games I'd like to move to the Elam Ending. Now THAT would be fun! It eliminates the need to foul, while at the same time allowing teams to make a huge comeback and win no matter the score if they can hold the other team scoreless. I honestly love it. Every game ends on a Game Winner.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 20th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Leave clock and fouls alone. 5 is enough, learn to play D and not foul. 30 seconds is good, I hate the NBA run and gun, CBB is not NBA.

One thing they could is junk the stupid held ball rule, just make it a turnover.
These users thanked the author Jjoey52 for the post:
SweepDance

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 23rd, 2019, 7:20 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:27 pm
Leave clock and fouls alone. 5 is enough, learn to play D and not foul. 30 seconds is good, I hate the NBA run and gun, CBB is not NBA.

One thing they could is junk the stupid held ball rule, just make it a turnover.
Learning to play D is tough when the refs can't even determine what is good defense and what is impeding the offensive players "freedom of movement". So what you're stuck with is this strange combination of flopping, and offensive players throwing themselves at defenders in order to draw fouls. Not fun to watch and it sucks to lose a star player over a crappy call.

Locked Previous topicNext topic