All is not lost

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ThunderAggie

All is not lost

Post by ThunderAggie » January 8th, 2020, 4:32 pm

After thinking about it all day, I don't think we should give up on them or even think we can't have a great season.

I know we would not beat LSU and Florida the way we have been playing, but the fact is we did beat both of them on neutral courts and that right there is 2 Q1 victories. In addition, 3 of our losses have been to Q1 opponents and only 1 was at home to one of the top teams in the country. Our other 2 losses are to 2 Q3 teams that have the chance of moving into Q2 wins if they perform well in conference. I think UNLV could potentially be a Q2 loss if they figure things out and continue to win. Air Force could potentially be the only loss outside of Q1 or Q2.

We are going to have to have some major changes and better performances, but I believe it will come. At the beginning of the Air Force game we looked pretty good and we all saw what we can look like when we are hitting the shots. In addition, Queta is getting playing time and it is only a matter of time before he finally starts to play well on defense like the good old days. We do need Sam to be healthy, but we really need him in order to win games. There will also be times Anderson and Brito will have their games and get some confidence back like in the Jamaica Classic. I think we need one good performance and win to get the guys believing in themselves.

Last year, we had this same exact record going into a game on January 19 at home vs Colorado State and guess what....we won all but 1 game the rest of the season.

I know it is hard to see us winning many games after struggling against UNLV and Air Force and in the fashion it was, but a loss is a loss no matter if it is by 1 or by 20....we need to move on. How about we use it as fuel and prove everybody wrong. When UNLV and Air Force come into Logan, lets get the Spectrum rocking and show them some good Aggie basketball.

I still have hope we can go on a bit of a run and have a great year! And as long as we have Coach Smith at the healm I have no doubt we can do it!
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
vegasaggie

ViAggie

Re: All is not lost

Post by ViAggie » January 8th, 2020, 4:36 pm

What team shows up? That's the question. I'm guessing half the team got the flu or a bad cold over the holidays????

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 8th, 2020, 4:49 pm

We were a pretty dang good team until a week ago. I no longer have big expectations for this year, but at the same time still believe this team can do some great things over the next two months. Florida is probably better than any mw team besides sdsu and we beat them. It is on the team to get it together and play to their potential.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ThunderAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 8th, 2020, 6:39 pm

After a tough night and a tough day thinking about it my blue goggles are back on. I think we will get it back I'm hoping for a good performance in a victory on Saturday that would be awesome.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 8th, 2020, 6:41 pm

I also think Air Force and UNLV are really not that bad. They played really well against us as well. I think the MW as a whole is better than last year and more even, with the exception of SDSU, although I think they are more beatable than people think.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 8th, 2020, 6:44 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 6:41 pm
I also think Air Force and UNLV are really not that bad. They played really well against us as well. I think the MW as a whole is better than last year and more even, with the exception of SDSU, although I think they are more beatable than people think.
Thing about Air Force is there very experienced I want to say they brought back five seniors.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 8th, 2020, 7:29 pm

For some hope still of an-large, you have to look no further than Air Force and no further than the year we got snubbed in favor of them. They got in despite losing to Texas- Pan American(since renamed UT- Rio Grande Valley), a team far worse than even this year's Air Force team, and down the stretch in February, a time that the committee cares about far more than January, along with losing(and at that, getting blown out by) the team 8th place in their league Colorado State as late as the conference tournament, and on a neutral court which is far less forgivable than on a road court.

It's well known that the January before UMBC had the big upset over Virginia, they lost to Albany 83-39. You could make a case that Air Force is far worse than Albany, but if we can win the Mountain West Tourney or get a bid, we also wouldn't face a team as good as Virginia. AND, in UMBC's January 83-39 loss to Albany, they were not missing anyone or having any key guys battling illnesses or injuries, or getting acclimated to having anyone.

Finally, San Diego State might be more beatable in the Mountain West Tournament once they are complacent with their bid wrapped up.

Former_USU_Alumni
Been thanked: 0

Post by Former_USU_Alumni » January 8th, 2020, 7:39 pm

There are only 3 players on the Aggy team that Nevada would have have even considered recruiting.

Former_USU_Alumni
Been thanked: 0

Post by Former_USU_Alumni » January 8th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Whoever said Air Force “isn’t that bad” please clarify.

They lost to Idaho State at home by 10. My out of shape nephew could have played for Idaho State to put things into perspective.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 8th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Former_USU_Alumni wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 7:47 pm

They lost to Idaho State at home by 10. My out of shape nephew could have played for Idaho State to put things into perspective.
If they played like they played last night, they would not have lost to Idaho State. Ryan Swan Ford played amazing last night and could not miss. He is catching fire at this point in the season and has dropped 24+ in 3 of the last 4 games. They are an experienced team with guys like Lavelle Scottie and Van Soelen. Not saying they are amazing because in no way we should have lost to them by 19, but an away game at Air Force midway through the season is not a gimmie and it showed last night.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 8th, 2020, 8:41 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 8:00 pm
Former_USU_Alumni wrote:

If they played like they played last night, they would not have lost to Idaho State. Ryan Swan Ford played amazing last night and could not miss. He is catching fire at this point in the season and has dropped 24+ in 3 of the last 4 games. They are an experienced team with guys like Lavelle Scottie and Van Soelen. Not saying they are amazing because in no way we should have lost to them by 19, but an away game at Air Force midway through the season is not a gimmie and it showed last night.
I want people to stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. Air Force isn't good, and that was the second really embarrassing loss we've had in 6 days. It's okay to call a spade a spade. We've been really bad in all of our true road games this season. That's cause for concern.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 4):
TrueBlueAggie123Former_USU_Alumniaggies22Real Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 8th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Yeah the air force loss was bad no matter how you slice it. At least when they dominated us in football they had one of their best teams in school history this past year. On a bright note tonight, lsu beat our old foe musselman giving our resume a little boost.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 8th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 9:19 pm
On a bright note tonight, lsu beat our old foe musselman giving our resume a little boost.
Are the LSU fire extinguisher cases still in one piece?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 8th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Another thing that I thought of is that SDSU beat us when we aren’t playing well. IF we were to get back to the team we have been in the past I believe we can be in a game with them.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 9th, 2020, 5:57 am

Former_USU_Alumni wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 7:39 pm
There are only 3 players on the Aggy team that Nevada would have have even considered recruiting.
I've been reading your posts with skeptical interest because of their content. Now you have confirmed my suspicion. Troll.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieFormer_USU_Alumni

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 9th, 2020, 7:54 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 5:57 am
Former_USU_Alumni wrote:
I've been reading your posts with skeptical interest because of their content. Now you have confirmed my suspicion. Troll.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. What fool says "Aggy"? I'm ready for this guy to get T-ed up.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22Former_USU_Alumni

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 9th, 2020, 7:57 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 8:41 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
Former_USU_Alumni wrote:

I want people to stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. Air Force isn't good, and that was the second really embarrassing loss we've had in 6 days. It's okay to call a spade a spade. We've been really bad in all of our true road games this season. That's cause for concern.
I don't agree that we have been in all true road games. Against St. Mary's we were up by 4 with like minutes to go. Granted the last 4 minutes were not good, but overall we played a good game.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 9th, 2020, 8:12 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 7:57 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 8:41 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
Former_USU_Alumni wrote:

I don't agree that we have been in all true road games. Against St. Mary's we were up by 4 with like minutes to go. Granted the last 4 minutes were not good, but overall we played a good game.
Agreed. That was a good game that we ultimately lost right at the end. We didn't play like we've played against some of the crappy barely-D1 teams we warmed the season up on, but we did well. St. Mary's did well. We disrupted their game, they disrupted ours, and they got on a streak and went hot right at the end. I've got no heartburn about losing that game. I just wish that we'd won.

pcaggie

Post by pcaggie » January 9th, 2020, 8:51 am

Yes, I have been frustrated with watching the last 3 games but I have to remind myself that we still have a good team, they are banged up, (probably more than we know) and just played 3 games in 7 days, which included travel. I used to travel a lot for work and this would have made me tired! and this team (and coaches) are tired and it is showing. Yes they are pressing, they are trying to do more than their bodies are allowing them to do, they want to win, they hate losing more than we do

Lets beat Nevada, take next week to recover then finish out strong.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 9th, 2020, 9:20 am

The UNLV and AFA games were complete crap. We have lost three in a row. I agree that not all is lost, but we will not win many games playing the way we currently are playing. We've been waiting for 4 weeks for Brito, Anderson, and Miller to step up. We've been "injured" all year. I don't know what the problem is for this team, but they are not playing good basketball. They are going to have to "win" back my excitement.

I have reduced my expectations for the season. I just want us to start playing better basketball. If we get into the tournament, that is great. I don't expect it at this point.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » January 9th, 2020, 9:26 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 7:54 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 5:57 am
Former_USU_Alumni wrote:
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. What fool says "Aggy"? I'm ready for this guy to get T-ed up.
Also, it's a former alumni (alumnus?) Does that mean he's renounced his status as an alum? Had his degree taken away?
These users thanked the author SweepDance for the post:
Real Life Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 9th, 2020, 9:35 am

I just added the poster to my foe list. Problem Solved.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic