Team Chemistry is way off

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
uscaggie

Team Chemistry is way off

Post by uscaggie » January 7th, 2020, 11:49 pm

Not sure what the problem is. Probably multiple issues causing the current funk.

Definitely not the complete ‘team’ we have come to expect.

I appreciated Coach Smith’s comments post game. He is aware and doesn’t just give the coach speak answers. They can get it worked out hopefully!

brian5562

Re: Team Chemistry is way off

Post by brian5562 » January 7th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Missed it. What did he have to say?

SLB

Post by SLB » January 7th, 2020, 11:55 pm

uscaggie wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 11:49 pm
Not sure what the problem is. Probably multiple issues causing the current funk.

Definitely not the complete ‘team’ we have come to expect.

I appreciated Coach Smith’s comments post game. He is aware and doesn’t just give the coach speak answers. They can get it worked out hopefully!
Injuries have a big impact on this.

Former_USU_Alumni
Been thanked: 0

Post by Former_USU_Alumni » January 7th, 2020, 11:55 pm

I can tell a lot of these players had their lunch money taken away when they were kids.

With the exception of Sam and Queta the team doesn’t have one competitive bone in their bodies.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 7th, 2020, 11:56 pm

Bean used to be a battler...he has folded the last 3 games.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 7th, 2020, 11:56 pm

Brito seems angry that he doesn't get shots, because he takes a lot of bad ones.

uscaggie

Post by uscaggie » January 8th, 2020, 12:03 am

brian5562 wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 11:54 pm
I think 1280 has an archive you can listen to for it?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 10th, 2020, 9:25 am

brian5562 wrote:
Smith basically said that we have some guys on the team who have decided to make other things more important than playing as a team and working together to win games. I got the feeling that he feels that we have some selfish players on the team or players who aren't doing what it takes to succeed at this level. He said that some of them need to realize how hard it was last year to do what they did. It isn't given to you, you have to work extremely hard every day to do it.

Something to that effect.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
Bill_George

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 10th, 2020, 9:33 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 9:25 am
brian5562 wrote:
Smith basically said that we have some guys on the team who have decided to make other things more important than playing as a team and working together to win games. I got the feeling that he feels that we have some selfish players on the team or players who aren't doing what it takes to succeed at this level. He said that some of them need to realize how hard it was last year to do what they did. It isn't given to you, you have to work extremely hard every day to do it.

Dang that is straight up right there.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 10th, 2020, 9:36 am

treesap32 wrote:
brian5562 wrote:

This is the frustrating part as the majority of the team is the same. You would think they would want to have exactly what they had last year and emulate this year. The formula should be really similar. Hopefully the team comes together and plays like a team. We have got to find ways to battle through adversity and come out on top. The frustrating part is up until a week ago the team did a good job of battling through adversity.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 10th, 2020, 9:44 am

treesap32 wrote:
brian5562 wrote:

Wow. Tell us what you really think coach.

I like it though.

Curious as to who these players are.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » January 10th, 2020, 10:30 am

Smith better look in the mirror before he makes comments about other people. He looks disengaged. Teams take on the personalities of the coach, right? Those kids might be reflecting his attitude.

Something is clearly wrong. It's his responsibility to fix it not complain about it. If it's injuries? Sit the guy(s) down and let them get healthy! If it's incorrect play? Sit the guy(s) down until the behavior changes.

This is frustrating because we just watched a season where I thought GA and Sanford never got the most out of Love because they seemed afraid to discipline him.

What would Stew do?
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 10th, 2020, 10:38 am

El Sapo wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 10:30 am
Smith better look in the mirror before he makes comments about other people. He looks disengaged. Teams take on the personalities of the coach, right? Those kids might be reflecting his attitude.
Smith took responsibility in the interview as well, just like he always does.

I don't think Smith has looked disengaged at all. I actually noticed in the AFA game that he was pissed at missed assignments when we were up 12 against AFA. I guess he could see what was going to happen in that game if we didn't play the way we were supposed to.
El Sapo wrote:
Something is clearly wrong. It's his responsibility to fix it not complain about it. If it's injuries? Sit the guy(s) down and let them get healthy! If it's incorrect play? Sit the guy(s) down until the behavior changes.
Agreed. He knows something is wrong and commented on it. There are injuries, and maybe he should sit players more. But he has done it with Neemy all year and with Sam in games that weren't crucial.

I would also note that he's sat Kuba and Anderson a whole lot recently. Perhaps that's due to behavior. Perhaps health.... but he's sitting them and correcting them on the sideline when they don't play properly.

I hope everyone can buy in. I'm not ready to throw this coach under the bus due to two bad performances and start saying things like "What would Stew do?". Stew was an incredible coach, for sure. But he, too had games like we had this last week and a half.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieBLUERUFiOEl Sapo

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 10th, 2020, 10:49 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 10:38 am
El Sapo wrote:
Smith took responsibility in the interview as well, just like he always does.

I don't think Smith has looked disengaged at all. I actually noticed in the AFA game that he was pissed at missed assignments when we were up 12 against AFA. I guess he could see what was going to happen in that game if we didn't play the way we were supposed to.
El Sapo wrote:
Agreed. He knows something is wrong and commented on it. There are injuries, and maybe he should sit players more. But he has done it with Neemy all year and with Sam in games that weren't crucial.

I would also note that he's sat Kuba and Anderson a whole lot recently. Perhaps that's due to behavior. Perhaps health.... but he's sitting them and correcting them on the sideline when they don't play properly.

I hope everyone can buy in. I'm not ready to throw this coach under the bus due to two bad performances and start saying things like "What would Stew do?". Stew was an incredible coach, for sure. But he, too had games like we had this last week and a half.
Agreed, this is nonsense. We were all clamoring to double Smith's salary and extend him till the end of his life after last season. Now after a single week of crappy play (it could be argued that the SDSU game was not crappy play, they just shot well) people are pissed at Smith? It's an emotional roller-coaster, that's for sure.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 10th, 2020, 10:57 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 10:49 am
Agreed, this is nonsense. We were all clamoring to double Smith's salary and extend him till the end of his life after last season. Now after a single week of crappy play (it could be argued that the SDSU game was not crappy play, they just shot well) people are pissed at Smith? It's an emotional roller-coaster, that's for sure.

These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » January 10th, 2020, 11:06 am

I think it would be a great idea for Smith to bench all the guys nursing any injury and all the guys who think things are more important than team play.

This, of course is just for Saturday's game against Nevada. After that I don't care what he does..

It would certainly help the Pack's chemistry if they could get a win in Logan. :)
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0Real Life AggieAglicious

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » January 10th, 2020, 11:19 am

Smith is not disengaged. He was halfway on the court half the time vs SDSU.

1. Noticed last year after someone went to the floor the other 4 guys would run over and help him up. Every time. Not seeing that as much this year.

2. Shooting has been ice cold. The key wing players have shot 30% from the field during the 3 game losing streak 24% from 3. Not even close to getting it done. As mentioned some of these shots seem to be outside of the offense or after very little ball movement where one more pass gets them a better look.

I think he did bench some of the guys he sees not working. Kuba continues to sit and Anderson was benched in the second half vs SDSU.

Sam and Britto are the seniors on this team and need to take the reigns and lead.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 10th, 2020, 11:22 am

nvspuds wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 11:06 am
I think it would be a great idea for Smith to bench all the guys nursing any injury and all the guys who think things are more important than team play.

This, of course is just for Saturday's game against Nevada. After that I don't care what he does..

It would certainly help the Pack's chemistry if they could get a win in Logan. :)
Only for the sake of the Aggies getting better, nvspuds recommends we bench all our starters across the board. Our new starting lineup will be:
1 - Kuba
2 - Brito
3 - Grootfaam
4 - Stall
5 - Dorius

I mean, Kuba at the 1 is a gimme. He's so smooth. Plus, let's see some 6'1" stereotypical point guard try to guard Kuba's jumper when he's dropping 3s all game long. His hands are so high before he jumps they can't even contest it.

We're changing the way the entire game is played with this one, boys.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 4):
ThunderAggieflying_scotsman2.0aggieguy13crazywookie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 10th, 2020, 11:26 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 11:22 am
nvspuds wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 11:06 am

Only for the sake of the Aggies getting better, nvspuds recommends we bench all our starters across the board. Our new starting lineup will be:
1 - Kuba
2 - Brito
3 - Grootfaam
4 - Stall
5 - Dorius

I mean, Kuba at the 1 is a gimme. He's so smooth. Plus, let's see some 6'1" stereotypical point guard try to guard Kuba's jumper when he's dropping 3s all game long. His hands are so high before he jumps they can't even contest it.

We're changing the way the entire game is played with this one, boys.
This made me laugh out loud.

Don't forget we are going to be pulling McChesney's and Bischoffs red-shirts just for this game to give them some critical game experience. Perhaps we could also have a shooting contest at halftime with people from the HURD, and the best performer can suite up 2nd half? Just an idea to get people to the game....

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 10th, 2020, 11:31 am

1 - Groot
2 - Stall
3 - Queta
4 - Dorius
5 - Kuba

tallest. lineup. ever.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 10th, 2020, 11:34 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 11:31 am
1 - Groot
2 - Stall
3 - Queta
4 - Dorius
5 - Kuba

tallest. lineup. ever.
We should actually play this lineup for 30 seconds or so if we are up on a team by a lot. That has to be an NCAA record. It would probably make sportscenter!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 10th, 2020, 11:38 am

Former_USU_Alumni wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 11:55 pm
I can tell a lot of these players had their lunch money taken away when they were kids.

With the exception of Sam and Queta the team doesn’t have one competitive bone in their bodies.
How can you be a "Former USU Alumni?" Does that mean that you had your records of attending and graduating burned?
If your are an alumni you attended school there and usually means you graduated. Even destroying records doesn't change the fact that you would be an alumni of the school you attended. That said....your other comment that except 2 players, the rest doesn't have a competitive bone in their bodies. That tells me that you know absolutely nothing about this team.....only that you just saw two games, UNLV and AFA. They didn't look good, but it has nothing to do with whether they have competitive bones or not.
........or....you are just a troll.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » January 10th, 2020, 12:19 pm

We would probably have to put Jazz on Kuba. That would seem to be a golden opportunity for a post up game..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
treesap32Real Life Aggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 10th, 2020, 12:26 pm

nvspuds wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 12:19 pm
We would probably have to put Jazz on Kuba. That would seem to be a golden opportunity for a post up game..
:lol: :lol: :lol: I would love to see a photo of that.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 10th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Personally, I blame nvspuds. He was the jerk who suggested a month or so ago that we might not win the national championship this year. That seemed to blow the wheels off the whole thing, and I just don't think we can take that kind of negativity. I'm starting to question just how much of an Aggie he truly is.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post (total 3):
Real Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0sam tingey

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » January 10th, 2020, 12:30 pm

I blame me too..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 3):
cdaAgReal Life Aggiesam tingey

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » January 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm

I was benched for not getting a haircut before a game. That was 50 years ago.....LOL but the pain! I still feel it!

Thanks Treesap for taking sense in these troubling times.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 10th, 2020, 1:41 pm

brian5562 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 11:19 am
Smith is not disengaged. He was halfway on the court half the time vs SDSU.

1. Noticed last year after someone went to the floor the other 4 guys would run over and help him up. Every time. Not seeing that as much this year.

2. Shooting has been ice cold. The key wing players have shot 30% from the field during the 3 game losing streak 24% from 3. Not even close to getting it done. As mentioned some of these shots seem to be outside of the offense or after very little ball movement where one more pass gets them a better look.

I think he did bench some of the guys he sees not working. Kuba continues to sit and Anderson was benched in the second half vs SDSU.

Sam and Britto are the seniors on this team and need to take the reigns and lead.
This is a good point. The entire team would fly to a guy on the court and it became a very visible display of support. The other thing that was very noticeable last year was how loud the bench was during games. I sat at T-Mobile when we played St. Mary's and ASU and our bench was the only source of noise in the entire joint. They were cheering and going crazy from the very start, it was quite intimidating. Stall, McChesney, and Queta were pretty good cheerleaders at the beginning of the year with their antics but I haven't noticed much of that lately. Maybe it's because there hasn't been much to cheer for? :noidea:

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 10th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » January 11th, 2020, 9:01 am

brian5562 wrote:Smith is not disengaged. He was halfway on the court half the time vs SDSU.

Anderson has been benched in the 2nd half a lot. Vs BYU he kept us in the game the first half then didn’t see the court in the 2nd. I find it hard to believe Anderson is one of the players not working hard or well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscaggie

Post by uscaggie » January 11th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Looking way better tonight!

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 17th, 2020, 3:00 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 11:31 am
1 - Groot
2 - Stall
3 - Queta
4 - Dorius
5 - Kuba

tallest. lineup. ever.
Hate to break the news but the official website has Bairstow at 6'8" and Groot at 6'7". So replace Groot with Bairstow and you have an ever so slightly bigger lineup. Take off McChesney's redshirt and he is 6'10" so you get 3 more inches now.

Locked Previous topicNext topic