These are college kids, so take it easy.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2633
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 471 times

These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by ineptimusprime » January 18th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Guys, just put the bag on your heads and bite your tongues. We are all disappointed.

:anonymous:
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 5):
LambchopsslcaggGaryTakeTheWheelflying_scotsman2.0AggiesForever



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 200 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by 2004AG » January 18th, 2020, 10:35 pm

What an embarrassing game. This is just an extremely mediocre team.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
TrueBlueAggie123



TrueBlueAggie123
Posts: 152
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 5:32 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » January 18th, 2020, 10:37 pm

I’m embarrassed to be an Aggie fan today. Such a bad team and such a horrible loss. Brito needs to sit the bench the rest of the season.
These users thanked the author TrueBlueAggie123 for the post:
2004AG



SBC_packers
Posts: 6
Joined: September 10th, 2015, 3:37 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by SBC_packers » January 18th, 2020, 10:40 pm

I hate basketball.
These users thanked the author SBC_packers for the post:
2004AG



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 4040
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 18th, 2020, 10:44 pm

These guys suck (I can't express myself without swearing).


Formerly TulsAGGIE

User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 964
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by ThunderAggie » January 18th, 2020, 10:45 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:44 pm
These guys suck (I can't express myself without swearing).
Sam and Queta and Bean do not suck.



aggiesdotcom
Posts: 1737
Joined: January 21st, 2011, 8:56 am
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 96 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by aggiesdotcom » January 18th, 2020, 10:45 pm

I’ve never seen college kids blow such a large lead with such little time left. To lose a game you never trailed in regulation is an insane stat. Only Utah State could manage such feats.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 200 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by 2004AG » January 18th, 2020, 10:46 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:44 pm
These guys suck (I can't express myself without swearing).
Sam and Queta and Bean do not suck.

They don’t but unfortunately the other 10 players do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Aggie84025
Posts: 1525
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 386 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Aggie84025 » January 18th, 2020, 10:46 pm

I thought the first 36 minutes we played the best basketball of the year. We were playing great and then completely crumbled. Just needed one more free throw or someone to make a play and we didn't get it done.



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 964
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by ThunderAggie » January 18th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:46 pm
I thought the first 36 minutes we played the best basketball of the year. We were playing great and then completely crumbled. Just needed one more free throw or someone to make a play and we didn't get it done.
The one bright spot is that we played good 36 minutes and know our potential. Honestly conference tourney is pretty much it unless we miraculously win out. Lets keep getting healthy and find the right lineups to compete. I think this means limiting Britos time and playing Fonzo more.



NVAggie
Posts: 16155
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 621 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by NVAggie » January 18th, 2020, 10:50 pm

We lost. I expect better.



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 4040
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 18th, 2020, 10:50 pm

But Fonzo sucks too!


Formerly TulsAGGIE

SwaggieAggie
Posts: 30
Joined: September 17th, 2019, 10:04 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by SwaggieAggie » January 18th, 2020, 10:50 pm

I don’t care who you are. Blowing an 18 point lead with 4 minutes left, and then a 5 point lead with 8 seconds is absolutely inexcusable regardless of what league or competition you’re playing at.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post (total 4):
Former_USU_Alumniaggies22bluegrouseAggie75



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2633
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by ineptimusprime » January 18th, 2020, 10:51 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:48 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:46 pm
I thought the first 36 minutes we played the best basketball of the year. We were playing great and then completely crumbled. Just needed one more free throw or someone to make a play and we didn't get it done.
The one bright spot is that we played good 36 minutes and know our potential. Honestly conference tourney is pretty much it unless we miraculously win out. Lets keep getting healthy and find the right lineups to compete. I think this means limiting Britos time and playing Fonzo more.
I admire your resilience.



utaggies
Posts: 3595
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by utaggies » January 18th, 2020, 10:51 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:48 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:46 pm
I thought the first 36 minutes we played the best basketball of the year. We were playing great and then completely crumbled. Just needed one more free throw or someone to make a play and we didn't get it done.
The one bright spot is that we played good 36 minutes and know our potential. Honestly conference tourney is pretty much it unless we miraculously win out. Lets keep getting healthy and find the right lineups to compete. I think this means limiting Britos time and playing Fonzo more.
“And other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

There are no bright spots about this loss.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 200 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by 2004AG » January 18th, 2020, 10:51 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:46 pm
I thought the first 36 minutes we played the best basketball of the year. We were playing great and then completely crumbled. Just needed one more free throw or someone to make a play and we didn't get it done.
The one bright spot is that we played good 36 minutes and know our potential. Honestly conference tourney is pretty much it unless we miraculously win out. Lets keep getting healthy and find the right lineups to compete. I think this means limiting Britos time and playing Fonzo more.
I wouldn’t hold your breath. Brito and Miller have blackmail on Smith or something. He refuses to take them out.

Miller and Brito combined for 9 points in a game that went into overtime. That’s hard to do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 964
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by ThunderAggie » January 18th, 2020, 10:52 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:51 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:46 pm
I thought the first 36 minutes we played the best basketball of the year. We were playing great and then completely crumbled. Just needed one more free throw or someone to make a play and we didn't get it done.
The one bright spot is that we played good 36 minutes and know our potential. Honestly conference tourney is pretty much it unless we miraculously win out. Lets keep getting healthy and find the right lineups to compete. I think this means limiting Britos time and playing Fonzo more.
I wouldn’t hold your breath. Brito and Miller have blackmail on Smith or something. He refuses to take them out.

Miller and Brito combined for 9 points in a game that went into overtime. That’s hard to do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Coach Smith just really likes and trusts these guys but he needs to realize they just are not playing good and try playing other guys,



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7795
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by dyedblue » January 18th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Guys, guys, guys. I don’t want to hear about our players sucking. This one is squarely in Smith. The substitutions, the foul management, and playing not to lose with 5+ minutes left are coach’s decisions. We stood around until there were less than 10 seconds in the block to start our offense. Of course we finished the game without a basket.

I loved what I saw from Miller tonight. He went to the basket, played defense, and actually fought for some rebounds.

Bairstow needs to see the floor. Take minutes away from Miller and Brito. Brito jacked up three inbounds plays that led to easy baskets. What could Bairstow do that would be worse?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 6):
codingaggieoleblu111aggieguy13bluegrouseMrBiggleReal Life Aggie


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 200 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by 2004AG » January 18th, 2020, 10:56 pm

dyedblue wrote:Guys, guys, guys. I don’t want to hear about our players sucking. This one is squarely in Smith. The substitutions, the foul management, and playing not to lose with 5+ minutes left are coach’s decisions. We stood around until there were less than 10 seconds in the block to start our offense. Of course we finished the game without a basket.

I loved what I saw from Miller tonight. He went to the basket, played defense, and actually fought for some rebounds.

Bairstow needs to see the floor. Take minutes away from Miller and Brito. Brito jacked up three inbounds plays that led to easy baskets. What could Bairstow do that would be worse?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You had me until you praised miller. He had a grand total of 4 points.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Former_USU_Alumni
Posts: 18
Joined: January 7th, 2020, 11:11 pm
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Former_USU_Alumni » January 18th, 2020, 10:58 pm

I heard they are going to build a homeless shelter ,over by the Spectrum, to house all of the bums that are currently on the football and basketball teams.

Where did these losers come from? I remember the good old days when the Aggys had something to smile about.



Chupamedia
Posts: 1233
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 10:42 pm
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Chupamedia » January 18th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Why are we not playing any bigs after Queta? The small ball team has now lost to BSU, UNLV, and Air Force. What’s that definition of insanity again?
These users thanked the author Chupamedia for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni



TrueAG
Posts: 985
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:19 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by TrueAG » January 18th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Kids? This team is as old as some NBA teams
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 4040
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 18th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Brito had more turnovers and fouls than points, rebounds, and assists. And most of those turnovers came at the absolute worst times.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni


Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie84025
Posts: 1525
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 386 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Aggie84025 » January 18th, 2020, 11:03 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:45 pm
I’ve never seen college kids blow such a large lead with such little time left. To lose a game you never trailed in regulation is an insane stat. Only Utah State could manage such feats.
It pains me to say it, but it is so true. This was an epic meltdown, but I have seen strange things happen to the aggies over my life time that are quite frankly not explainable.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Former_USU_AlumniAggie75



Elkaggie
Posts: 3710
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Elkaggie » January 18th, 2020, 11:03 pm

As soon as Miller turned it over after breaking the press instead of backing it out and using clock.. I got nervous.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7795
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by dyedblue » January 18th, 2020, 11:04 pm

2004AG wrote:
dyedblue wrote:Guys, guys, guys. I don’t want to hear about our players sucking. This one is squarely in Smith. The substitutions, the foul management, and playing not to lose with 5+ minutes left are coach’s decisions. We stood around until there were less than 10 seconds in the block to start our offense. Of course we finished the game without a basket.

I loved what I saw from Miller tonight. He went to the basket, played defense, and actually fought for some rebounds.

Bairstow needs to see the floor. Take minutes away from Miller and Brito. Brito jacked up three inbounds plays that led to easy baskets. What could Bairstow do that would be worse?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You had me until you praised miller. He had a grand total of 4 points.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He only took 3 threes, had four boards, and picked up four fouls. I’ll take that stat line from him all season long.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

User avatar
Aggieiester
Posts: 476
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 10:11 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Aggieiester » January 18th, 2020, 11:04 pm

If you watched the Air Force game, this should not surprise anyone
These users thanked the author Aggieiester for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7795
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by dyedblue » January 18th, 2020, 11:05 pm

Chupamedia wrote:Why are we not playing any bigs after Queta? The small ball team has now lost to BSU, UNLV, and Air Force. What’s that definition of insanity again?
Kuba and Dorius have to get playing time. Without them stepping up we are screwed. Why did we trust them all season long without Queta and not they don’t see the floor. Weird.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
Former_USU_AlumniMrBiggle


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2633
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by ineptimusprime » January 18th, 2020, 11:09 pm

After UNLV, I was pissed. After AFA, I mourned the death of my expectations for this team.

After tonight, I just feel really bad for the guys on the team. This is their legacy. All of us have lives and other interests and can focus on other things. They have to live through this and be remembered for this.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 7):
Former_USU_AlumniSwaggieAggieaggieguy13bigblueBill_GeorgejpswensenAggiesForever



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 200 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by 2004AG » January 18th, 2020, 11:11 pm

dyedblue wrote:
2004AG wrote:
dyedblue wrote:Guys, guys, guys. I don’t want to hear about our players sucking. This one is squarely in Smith. The substitutions, the foul management, and playing not to lose with 5+ minutes left are coach’s decisions. We stood around until there were less than 10 seconds in the block to start our offense. Of course we finished the game without a basket.

I loved what I saw from Miller tonight. He went to the basket, played defense, and actually fought for some rebounds.

Bairstow needs to see the floor. Take minutes away from Miller and Brito. Brito jacked up three inbounds plays that led to easy baskets. What could Bairstow do that would be worse?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You had me until you praised miller. He had a grand total of 4 points.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He only took 3 threes, had four boards, and picked up four fouls. I’ll take that stat line from him all season long.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have really low expectations then for your starting small forward who played about 38 minutes.

Giving him credit for picking up four fouls is a new one. I’ve never seen that used as a positive before. Put me in and I’ll shoot less that three 3-pointers and I’ll even get you five fouls.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



NVAggie
Posts: 16155
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 680 times
Been thanked: 621 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by NVAggie » January 18th, 2020, 11:14 pm

I’m very close to just taking a board break. I have plenty to do.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 4):
Former_USU_AlumnibigblueReal Life AggieAggiesForever



Aggie84025
Posts: 1525
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 386 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Aggie84025 » January 18th, 2020, 11:14 pm

dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:53 pm
Guys, guys, guys. I don’t want to hear about our players sucking. This one is squarely in Smith. The substitutions, the foul management, and playing not to lose with 5+ minutes left are coach’s decisions. We stood around until there were less than 10 seconds in the block to start our offense. Of course we finished the game without a basket.

I loved what I saw from Miller tonight. He went to the basket, played defense, and actually fought for some rebounds.

Bairstow needs to see the floor. Take minutes away from Miller and Brito. Brito jacked up three inbounds plays that led to easy baskets. What could Bairstow do that would be worse?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree I thought Miller actually played decent. He was getting some offensive boards, made a nice pass to Queta and was not just hucking up quick 3's. In my opinion Anderson or Bairstow should have been in the last 2 minutes instead of Brito he was just so flustered.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7795
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by dyedblue » January 18th, 2020, 11:17 pm

The credit for the fouls come because usually he just stands there and lets his guy just spot over him or drive by him. Getting fouls is usually a sign of playing aggressive defense. When a guy constantly has less then one foul, they are not playing defense at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15383
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 239 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 18th, 2020, 11:24 pm

dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Chupamedia wrote:Why are we not playing any bigs after Queta? The small ball team has now lost to BSU, UNLV, and Air Force. What’s that definition of insanity again?
Kuba and Dorius have to get playing time. Without them stepping up we are screwed. Why did we trust them all season long without Queta and not they don’t see the floor. Weird.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I've been pleasantly surprised by Dorius and his potential I just don't see what he is giving us right now that is any better than our small ball lineup. He can't hold onto the ball when they pass to him. He misses layups constantly. Is flat footed and not at all a rim protector and gets caught out of position. When he is in it feels like we're playing 4 on 5 offensively. I think he could be good, but a year or two down the road.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni



Chupamedia
Posts: 1233
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 10:42 pm
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 46 times

These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Chupamedia » January 18th, 2020, 11:35 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Chupamedia wrote:Why are we not playing any bigs after Queta? The small ball team has now lost to BSU, UNLV, and Air Force. What’s that definition of insanity again?
Kuba and Dorius have to get playing time. Without them stepping up we are screwed. Why did we trust them all season long without Queta and not they don’t see the floor. Weird.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I've been pleasantly surprised by Dorius and his potential I just don't see what he is giving us right now that is any better than our small ball lineup. He can't hold onto the ball when they pass to him. He misses layups constantly. Is flat footed and not at all a rim protector and gets caught out of position. When he is in it feels like we're playing 4 on 5 offensively. I think he could be good, but a year or two down the road.
You may be right - but let’s just throw one of them in there for a couple a minutes after the same five guys have managed to lose an 18 point lead and see what happens.
These users thanked the author Chupamedia for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic