These are college kids, so take it easy.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiewest

Re: These are college kids, so take it easy.

Post by Aggiewest » January 18th, 2020, 11:37 pm

dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 11:04 pm
2004AG wrote:
dyedblue wrote:Guys, guys, guys. I don’t want to hear about our players sucking. This one is squarely in Smith. The substitutions, the foul management, and playing not to lose with 5+ minutes left are coach’s decisions. We stood around until there were less than 10 seconds in the block to start our offense. Of course we finished the game without a basket.

I loved what I saw from Miller tonight. He went to the basket, played defense, and actually fought for some rebounds.

Bairstow needs to see the floor. Take minutes away from Miller and Brito. Brito jacked up three inbounds plays that led to easy baskets. What could Bairstow do that would be worse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You had me until you praised miller. He had a grand total of 4 points.

He only took 3 threes, had four boards, and picked up four fouls. I’ll take that stat line from him all season long.

I will take it every night also as long as he only plays 5 minutes.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 18th, 2020, 11:38 pm

Aggiewest wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 11:37 pm
dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 11:04 pm
2004AG wrote:
dyedblue wrote:Guys, guys, guys. I don’t want to hear about our players sucking. This one is squarely in Smith. The substitutions, the foul management, and playing not to lose with 5+ minutes left are coach’s decisions. We stood around until there were less than 10 seconds in the block to start our offense. Of course we finished the game without a basket.

I loved what I saw from Miller tonight. He went to the basket, played defense, and actually fought for some rebounds.

Bairstow needs to see the floor. Take minutes away from Miller and Brito. Brito jacked up three inbounds plays that led to easy baskets. What could Bairstow do that would be worse?

He only took 3 threes, had four boards, and picked up four fouls. I’ll take that stat line from him all season long.

I will take it every night also as long as he only plays 5 minutes.
Not every starter is going to average double figures throughout the season.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 18th, 2020, 11:41 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 11:35 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Chupamedia wrote:Why are we not playing any bigs after Queta? The small ball team has now lost to BSU, UNLV, and Air Force. What’s that definition of insanity again?
Kuba and Dorius have to get playing time. Without them stepping up we are screwed. Why did we trust them all season long without Queta and not they don’t see the floor. Weird.

While I've been pleasantly surprised by Dorius and his potential I just don't see what he is giving us right now that is any better than our small ball lineup. He can't hold onto the ball when they pass to him. He misses layups constantly. Is flat footed and not at all a rim protector and gets caught out of position. When he is in it feels like we're playing 4 on 5 offensively. I think he could be good, but a year or two down the road.
You may be right - but let’s just throw one of them in there for a couple a minutes after the same five guys have managed to lose an 18 point lead and see what happens.
I'd love to give Kuba another try. Or even Grootfaam.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 18th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Former_USU_Alumni wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:58 pm
I heard they are going to build a homeless shelter ,over by the Spectrum, to house all of the bums that are currently on the football and basketball teams.

Where did these losers come from? I remember the good old days when the Aggys had something to smile about.
They already built it Troll. It's called "your mom's house".
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
Former_USU_AlumniReal Life Aggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 18th, 2020, 11:46 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 11:11 pm
dyedblue wrote:
2004AG wrote:

You have really low expectations then for your starting small forward who played about 38 minutes.

Giving him credit for picking up four fouls is a new one. I’ve never seen that used as a positive before. Put me in and I’ll shoot less that three 3-pointers and I’ll even get you five fouls.

Not to mention a critical turnover during a quasi fast break that added fuel to Boise's run.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 18th, 2020, 11:56 pm

dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:53 pm
Guys, guys, guys. I don’t want to hear about our players sucking. This one is squarely in Smith. The substitutions, the foul management, and playing not to lose with 5+ minutes left are coach’s decisions. We stood around until there were less than 10 seconds in the block to start our offense. Of course we finished the game without a basket.

If only they had just stood around the Aggies would have won. It takes hard work, effort, and a lot of luck to blow an 18 point lead in the last 3 minutes of a basketball game. Standing around doesn't get it done. This was an epic whole team performance that we probably will never see again in our lifetimes. Lets give credit where its due. :thanks: :golfclap:
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 19th, 2020, 12:54 am

USU men and women’s teams have combined for one win in 2020.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie75

Post by Aggie75 » January 19th, 2020, 6:50 am

To say these are college kids, so take it easy is a lame statement. These are college kids playing college kids and they're at a level where praise is not the only thing given out. There's no reward for participation. They have thousands of people riveted to their every play. People who in many cases play thousands of dollars just to watch them. Theyre not playing junior jazz or even high school basketbal where they're treated with kit gloves. If they choose to play division one or professional basketball where the stakes are substantial and where coaches can make millions and players receive significant compensation for their play, the gloves come off,. Compassion still has to be ouring guiding light, but to expect fans to let this type of performance by the coaches and players to just roll off their backs is unrealistic.
These users thanked the author Aggie75 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Former_USU_Alumni

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 19th, 2020, 8:13 am

Aggie75 wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 6:50 am
To say these are college kids, so take it easy is a lame statement. These are college kids playing college kids and they're at a level where praise is not the only thing given out. There's no reward for participation. They have thousands of people riveted to their every play. People who in many cases play thousands of dollars just to watch them. Theyre not playing junior jazz or even high school basketbal where they're treated with kit gloves. If they choose to play division one or professional basketball where the stakes are substantial and where coaches can make millions and players receive significant compensation for their play, the gloves come off,. Compassion still has to be ouring guiding light, but to expect fans to let this type of performance by the coaches and players to just roll off their backs is unrealistic.
Yeah, I was more just getting at avoiding kneejerk personal attacks against players. Critiques about play are fine.

I was already apathetic and not emotionally invested in the team before the game yesterday. The Air Force game took care of that.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
NVAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 19th, 2020, 8:18 am

Aggie75 wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 6:50 am
Yeah, I was more just getting at avoiding kneejerk personal attacks against players. Critiques about play are fine.

That said, I was already apathetic and not emotionally invested in the team before the game yesterday. The combo of the UNLV and Air Force games broke me and my interest in and expectations for the team this season. At this point, I just feel bad for the players and coaches for the now irredeemable failure this season has become, at least relative to expectations.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Aggie75

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 20th, 2020, 9:46 am

Former_USU_Alumni wrote:
I heard they are going to build a homeless shelter ,over by the Spectrum, to house all of the bums that are currently on the football and basketball teams.

Where did these losers come from? I remember the good old days when the Aggys had something to smile about.
Who is this guy? He can't properly spell "Aggies", and he Likes every negative post about on the boards.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 20th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 9:46 am
Former_USU_Alumni wrote:

Who is this guy? He can't properly spell "Aggies", and he Likes every negative post about on the boards.
He’s an obvious troll and illiterate at that. Click on his name, add him to your Foe list, and cleanse your soul of his rot for good.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieFormer_USU_Alumni

Nobody here knows anything.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 20th, 2020, 2:46 pm

OKAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 9:46 am
Former_USU_Alumni wrote:

He’s an obvious troll and illiterate at that. Click on his name, add him to your Foe list, and cleanse your soul of his rot for good.
Quality posts like this are the reason I come onto these boards.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 20th, 2020, 6:45 pm

dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Chupamedia wrote:Why are we not playing any bigs after Queta? The small ball team has now lost to BSU, UNLV, and Air Force. What’s that definition of insanity again?
Kuba and Dorius have to get playing time. Without them stepping up we are screwed. Why did we trust them all season long without Queta and not they don’t see the floor. Weird.

I agree. I think they have both done a good job and whenever Queta is out I would like to see one of them in the game.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » January 21st, 2020, 7:43 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:44 pm
These guys suck (I can't express myself without swearing).
Come on dude, think before you post stuff like this.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 21st, 2020, 8:41 am

KissMyAg wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 7:43 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 10:44 pm
These guys suck (I can't express myself without swearing).
Come on dude, think before you post stuff like this.
You're right, I let my emotions get the best of me. I was pissed off at the time.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » January 21st, 2020, 12:03 pm

Just throw this game in the trash can and move on. Oh crap. Trash can is overflowing.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 21st, 2020, 12:17 pm

When I was a junior in high school, we were playing in the semis of the state bball tournament. We were a 2 seed playing a 1 seed (on our side of the bracket), winner moves to the title game. The game was getting out of hand, and with 3:50 left or so in the 4th, we were trailing 57-40. Arguably our best player fouled out, and our team got together and just agreed to do all we could do to get back in it. We ended up winning, 63-61 in regulation.

Hard to explain what happened...we pressed all over the floor, aggressively went to the bucket, made shots and free throws. The other team just tightened up and started throwing the ball away, etc.

I didn't think of this until today, but it very much parallels what happened in Boise. Stuff happens; quite the study in human reactions to stress!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 21st, 2020, 12:33 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 12:17 pm
When I was a junior in high school, we were playing in the semis of the state bball tournament. We were a 2 seed playing a 1 seed (on our side of the bracket), winner moves to the title game. The game was getting out of hand, and with 3:50 left or so in the 4th, we were trailing 57-40. Arguably our best player fouled out, and our team got together and just agreed to do all we could do to get back in it. We ended up winning, 63-61 in regulation.

Hard to explain what happened...we pressed all over the floor, aggressively went to the bucket, made shots and free throws. The other team just tightened up and started throwing the ball away, etc.

I didn't think of this until today, but it very much parallels what happened in Boise. Stuff happens; quite the study in human reactions to stress!
My senior year of high school I played in a semifinal match in the regional tennis championships. I was playing doubles and we lost the first set 6-0. Second set we were down 5-0, and 40-0. The opposing team's family had all left when it reached 5-0 in that second set. They went to go get some food for the players to enjoy before their championship match. My own coach started walking to his car when it was 40-0 in that game to go check on some of the other players. I noticed that as we won a couple more points he returned to the court to watch. We ended up overcoming 11 match points against to win the game and get on the scoreboard at 5-1. We then won the next game and the other team's psyche was definitely hurt at that point. We won the next 5 games to take the second set 7-5 and we steam rolled them in the third set 6-0. The other team hardly won any points in that third set. They were completely defeated, and we were on a roll. After that match, we went on to win the championship match in a third set tie-breaker.

These types of things happen. If you give up a huge lead you begin to enter desperation mode being afraid of actually losing the game that you should've won. It's actually very hard to pull those types of games out.

The Aggies were so far ahead on Saturday night that I thought the other team's run was going to be in vain. Even up until 5 seconds left in the game I knew it was in the bag. Once they stole the ball on that ill advised in bounds pass everything changed and I knew we were going to lose. There was no way we were going to overcome that type of blown lead and win the game in overtime. The odds were highly in Boise's favor at that point.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 21st, 2020, 12:44 pm

These things happen for sure. My issue with it isn’t so much that it happened, it’s that the coaches told them to stop playing with six minutes left in the game. Once that happens there is no turning switch back on.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 21st, 2020, 1:23 pm

Playing not to lose often backfires. It's crazy how often it's used. We saw it with our current and previous two coaches. I do understand it in certain situations, but starting to drain the clock with 6 minutes left often leads to disaster. This was exhibit A.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 21st, 2020, 1:27 pm

I'm curious, was that a specific instruction, to stop playing with six minutes left in the game? Or just a perception based on their approach to the game at that point (slowing down the game, burning clock, etc.?)

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 21st, 2020, 6:20 pm

When our guys start standing at midcourt and hold the b-ball until the clock is down to 10 seconds, I’d say that is a coding decision.

We did it against Nevada too.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 21st, 2020, 6:38 pm

Definitely a strategy...most teams do this when they are way ahead...I don't like it. I think it gets the team out of their rhythm. I just don't believe that when the coaches implement that strategy that they verbally tell the players to stop playing. Doesn't seem at all realistic to me.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 21st, 2020, 11:00 pm

I am sure the coach tells them to slow it down and burn clock. I hate it too.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Locked Previous topicNext topic