Biggest Frustration last night

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hickaggie

Biggest Frustration last night

Post by hickaggie » January 22nd, 2020, 8:25 am

Hard to nitpick a win but I felt that the ball needed to be in Queta's hands in the post every single possession he was out there last night unless it involved a cut to Bean before that. He should have had triple the touches and double the shots. Let him make the passes if he wants. Better yet just tell him to go every time if they are going to guard him one on one.

So many damn times we killed momentum by bricking 3s when Queta could score at will or leave Bean wide open on a cut.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
ChicAggieaggies22

GameFAQSAggie

Re: Biggest Frustration last night

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 22nd, 2020, 8:27 am

The bigger frustration is that the way Queta is able to put the pay up and in right over guys, at least this team, is that we didn't get him to do more of it at their place.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » January 22nd, 2020, 8:44 am

This team isn't recognizing what it needs to do to be the team it can be. Some small things they could be doing, would lead to big dividends on the floor, such as:

They need to set real screens for Merrill to shake him loose. Every team we play is loading up on the side of the floor where Merrill is playing. Set a screen or two and he's free to nail the shot. And we know when he's open its going down. When he drives to the hoop, its usually good for two free throws. And, at 89%, that's a good trade.

Queta is an excellent passer, and he should have more opportunity to show that skill. If guys are open, he has shown that he will willingly get the ball to them, usually wide open. Also, throw the ball up to the rim and let him go after it. He had one lob for a basketball, and was close on another.

Brito and Miller "look for their shot" way to much. Miller is shooting something like 27% from the 3 point line. Just not good enough. And if Brito will concentrate on what he does best-- guard the other teams scorer-- he'll find that the shots for him will come more naturally. But when either one of these two are forcing it, it throws our whole offense off kilter.

Frankly, I would be happy to see Bairstow get most of the minutes at the point from here on out. Porter seems like he's just going through the motions, and his play reflects that. Bairstow is going to make some mistakes, but they will be mistakes of youth and enthusiasm, but the "I wish I was doing something else" variety that we've seen from Porter lately.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 2):
aggies22Roy McAvoy

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 22nd, 2020, 9:13 am

hickaggie wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 8:25 am
Hard to nitpick a win but I felt that the ball needed to be in Queta's hands in the post every single possession he was out there last night unless it involved a cut to Bean before that. He should have had triple the touches and double the shots. Let him make the passes if he wants. Better yet just tell him to go every time if they are going to guard him one on one.

So many damn times we killed momentum by bricking 3s when Queta could score at will or leave Bean wide open on a cut.
They tried, but air force was collapsing hard in the second half to prevent entry passes. We turned it over a few times trying to force it. Our outside shooting needs to improve in order to counter the collapse, but otherwise, I agree. Queta should be the first option they look at on almost every possession.

Aggies All the Way!

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » January 22nd, 2020, 9:15 am

hickaggie wrote:

This, in a game like that it would be nice to see nemi get 20 points. But maybe they wanted to limit potential foul trouble.

Where only sage brush grows

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » January 22nd, 2020, 9:22 am

I agree with all points AF makes. It pains me to watch our offense not run screens off or on the ball for Merrill. Our offense feels way too forced. Every possession at this point should go inside-out through Queta. Miller should stay back on Defense if there is any hint of a team fast break. He just doesn't know what to do with the break once he touches the ball. Porter has far exceeded any of our expectations with this program but it doesn't feel like he's as invested in advancing the program as he once was. Forgoing his senior season my bias me in that impression. But that is where Bairstow's minutes should increase to invest in developing the player we will have over the next 3 years.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 22nd, 2020, 9:23 am

In rewatching the game, I felt the TV guys had a good observation (hard to believe I know), at one point Neemias caught the ball and instead of turning to his left and going up and over his defender, he faded away and to his right and put up a shot that fell short. I would like to see more court awareness from Neemias and really take advantage of his size mismatch.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 22nd, 2020, 9:41 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:13 am
hickaggie wrote:

They tried, but air force was collapsing hard in the second half to prevent entry passes. We turned it over a few times trying to force it. Our outside shooting needs to improve in order to counter the collapse, but otherwise, I agree. Queta should be the first option they look at on almost every possession.
In the 2nd half this is true. However, in the first half it was there basically every possession. The Air Force guys guarding Queta were all giving up at least 25 lbs and 6 inches. So many times the team didn't even look for it and was just jacking up ill advised 3's.

ususports

Post by ususports » January 22nd, 2020, 9:47 am

AggiesForever wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 8:44 am
Frankly, I would be happy to see Bairstow get most of the minutes at the point from here on out. Porter seems like he's just going through the motions, and his play reflects that. Bairstow is going to make some mistakes, but they will be mistakes of youth and enthusiasm, but the "I wish I was doing something else" variety that we've seen from Porter lately.
Bairstow got lots of playing time last night, and he looked, let's put it politely, less than ideal. You must not have attended (or at least paid attention to) the game to say you want more of that. I do acknowledge there is some benefit of getting him some experience for the future, but let's be honest, he didn't look good. His drives to the basket, followed by some awkward, well contested shot attempt that was lucky to find some piece of the backboard would be generously described as a youthful mistake.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyaggiesdotcom

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 22nd, 2020, 9:47 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:41 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:13 am
hickaggie wrote:

In the 2nd half this is true. However, in the first half it was there basically every possession. The Air Force guys guarding Queta were all giving up at least 25 lbs and 6 inches. So many times the team didn't even look for it and was just jacking up ill advised 3's.
Yeah, but we're really good at that. Play to your strengths, right?

Locked Previous topicNext topic