Porter, Porter, Porter

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Porter, Porter, Porter

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 29th, 2020, 10:25 pm

:disappointed:
Just felt like I should eat crow and apologize to everyone who were crying for the coaches to bring in a replacement for Porter in the offseason. I disagreed with you. I even stood up for Porter and our depth. I was wrong.

Tonight’s loss was squarely on Porter, and a good chunk of our season’s struggles are his fault too. For such a smart person, he can make some bonehead plays on the court.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
ryguy417

newhouse9

Re: Porter, Porter, Porter

Post by newhouse9 » February 29th, 2020, 10:27 pm

I agree. Porter....ugh.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
ryguy417

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 29th, 2020, 10:28 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 10:25 pm
:disappointed:
Just felt like I should eat crow and apologize to everyone who were crying for the coaches to bring in a replacement for Porter in the offseason. I disagreed with you. I even stood up for Porter and our depth. I was wrong.

Tonight’s loss was squarely on Porter, and a good chunk of our season’s struggles are his fault too. For such a smart person, he can make some bonehead plays on the court.
It’s not like we don’t like Porter; he has a place on the team, he just never should have been our starting PG this season.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 29th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Being the starting PG is not Porters fault it is the coaching staff that did not bring in anyone to solidify that position. He obviously is able to play at the D1 level he has showed that, but he for sure should not be your starting PG. To have him come off the bench and play ~10 minutes to run the team would be just fine, but we need someone better at PG in this league in order to be at the top.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 29th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 10:34 pm
Being the starting PG is not Porters fault it is the coaching staff that did not bring in anyone to solidify that position. He obviously is able to play at the D1 level he has showed that, but he for sure should not be your starting PG. To have him come off the bench and play ~10 minutes to run the team would be just fine, but we need someone better at PG in this league in order to be at the top.
I used to think that he could at least spot you 10 and then Merrill would do the other 30 with a sprinkling of Bairstow and Brito in there. But the guy never improved all season. Never learned to quit picking up the ball. To quit trying to make that pass at the top of the key as he’s leaning around the defender telegraphing it. To quit driving in without a plan. To quit passing up the open three. And for the love of Pete, TO QUIT WITH FLAGRANT FOULS AFTER A TURNOVER!!!!

coolag

Post by coolag » February 29th, 2020, 10:43 pm

Crap, crap, crap.

Regulator of Class

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 29th, 2020, 10:43 pm

What an interesting career for the guy. To go from walk-on with no expectations to starter with such an insane exceeding of any expectation and then take another 180 to close it out and finish closer to where he started.
These users thanked the author aggiesdotcom for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 29th, 2020, 10:45 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 10:43 pm
What an interesting career for the guy. To go from walk-on with no expectations to starter with such an insane exceeding of any expectation and then take another 180 to close it out and finish closer to where he started.
It has got to be be whirlwind of emotions for him.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 29th, 2020, 10:48 pm

In his defense somewhat, I think he’s been playing with a bad back most of the season. That would slow anyone down. Doesn’t excuse dumb decisions but do think it explains quite a bit of why he hasn’t played as well.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesBill_George

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 29th, 2020, 11:09 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 10:48 pm
In his defense somewhat, I think he’s been playing with a bad back most of the season. That would slow anyone down. Doesn’t excuse dumb decisions but do think it explains quite a bit of why he hasn’t played as well.
The bad back could explain some poor shooting. But his back isn't to blame for the flagrant fouls, telegraphed passes, and picking up the dribble.
Aggie84025 wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 10:45 pm
aggiesdotcom wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 10:43 pm
It has got to be be whirlwind of emotions for him.
You would think, but I get the feeling he doesn't really love playing basketball anymore. Does he ever seem to be having fun out there? He always looks like he's missing out on something to be at the game. Pissed at the world. I feel like he's put much more time into his studies since last year than he does practicing basketball.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 29th, 2020, 11:46 pm

It's not? He's clearly not playing at 100% health. The flagrant fouls usually come as frustration after turnovers, but the rest can definitely also be attributed to not being 100% and not able to dribble past your guy or do what you want on the court.

It was still a mistake not getting another ball handler after what happened vs Washington last year. But Porter's regression is likely due to multiple injuries

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 29th, 2020, 11:51 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:46 pm
It's not? He's clearly not playing at 100% health. The flagrant fouls usually come as frustration after turnovers, but the rest can definitely also be attributed to not being 100% and not able to dribble past your guy or do what you want on the court.

It was still a mistake not getting another ball handler after what happened vs Washington last year. But Porter's regression is likely due to multiple injuries
Then it's on the coaches for continuing to play him. We could spent more time developing Bairstow in the OOC instead of playing a 30% Porter all season.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
SwaggieAggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 1st, 2020, 12:42 am

I was told by someone close (very close) to the program about a month ago his back is really really bad. Like he could be medically retired at any time bad. Not sure how many noticed but after he took that fall on the flagrant foul it looked like he was popping pain killers on the sideline.

He had plans (again from the same source so it could be wrong but the source is typically solid) to grad transfer somewhere next year to work on his MBA and play basketball but the basketball part of that is probably not happening now. I wouldn't be surprised if he is very frustrated, not happy playing basketball, and in a lot of pain.

I wish him the best. Not sure how long he has had back issues but if this was known in the offseason then it was an even bigger mistake not bringing in a PG to play right away and they should have been working on alternatives throughout the season at that position, including Bairstow who I have heard might end up at that spot anyway.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

BeNo

Post by BeNo » March 1st, 2020, 9:11 am

Lest we forget. On the whole his helping to win last year’s game fits better with what the team did as a whole. Glad it wasn’t reversed else we might never have had the fire extinguisher incident.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 1st, 2020, 12:31 pm

That play was just plain David Collette stupid. I hurt watching him get up off the floor. I met him at the Bees event this past summer and appreciate what he has given to this program. I don’t agree with the role he has been given, but that is not his fault. He has worked good tail off and given every thing he has to the program. Every time he comes off the floor they hook him up to a special heating and massaging back brace. That kid is tough as nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 1st, 2020, 1:48 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:51 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:46 pm

Then it's on the coaches for continuing to play him. We could spent more time developing Bairstow in the OOC instead of playing a 30% Porter all season.
Unfortunately, he's still somehow our best option as a ball handler/point, even with the injuries. Bairstow is ok but he's not ready as a ball handler, similar to Brito where hes not quite good enough to play as a primary ball handler for more than a few minutes at a time

Bairstow will be good eventually, but right now he is too raw to throw out at PG for any extended amount of time. Maybe they will try it more this week

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 1st, 2020, 8:18 pm

BeNo wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 9:11 am
Lest we forget. On the whole his helping to win last year’s game fits better with what the team did as a whole. Glad it wasn’t reversed else we might never have had the fire extinguisher incident.

Porter giveth and Porter taketh away!

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » March 1st, 2020, 8:53 pm

having played ball with a bad back, I don't know how he is doing it. It affects EVERYTHING. Amazed he has stuck it out and frustrated we didn't recruit more depth at point guard for THIS year. Going to be tough in the tourney. Sam's load as a PG and SG is only going to be even more now.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 1st, 2020, 9:13 pm

dyedblue wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 12:31 pm
That play was just plain David Collette stupid.

Losing that game in that way, even at home wasn't as bad simply cause we weren't on the bubble that year and knew we weren't that good.

Locked Previous topicNext topic