We are facing the Aztecs again in the MWC title game.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

We are facing the Aztecs again in the MWC title game.

Post by SLB » March 6th, 2020, 11:47 pm

Both us and Aztecs :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
ryguy417

ryguy417

Re: We are facing the Aztecs again in the MWC title game.

Post by ryguy417 » March 6th, 2020, 11:49 pm

Time for a #revengegame

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » March 6th, 2020, 11:58 pm

I’ll be the first to admit that there has been plenty of disappointments this season. But in the end, we’re here again in the conference championship game. Amazing work by Coach Smith in his first two seasons. Excited to get together with all my Aggie friends and family to enjoy the game tomorrow. Go Aggies!!
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 7th, 2020, 12:06 am

I wish we were going in healthy, but proud of the boys for sticking together and playing hard through major trials this year.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 7th, 2020, 10:38 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 12:06 am
I wish we were going in healthy, but proud of the boys for sticking together and playing hard through major trials this year.
Agree whole heartedly.
With that said Merrill and Queta are healthy and that gives us a punchers chance.

Full court pressure worries me. I hope we have a good plan in place for that.
Last edited by Sl7vk on March 7th, 2020, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 7th, 2020, 10:41 am

Sl7vk wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 10:38 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Agree whole heartedly.
With that said Merrill and Queta are healthy and that gives us a punchers chance.

FIFY

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 7th, 2020, 10:43 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 10:41 am
Sl7vk wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 10:38 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Agree whole heartedly.

FIFY
Facepalm

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 7th, 2020, 10:51 am

Merrill was pretty beat up last night.

lionhead

Post by lionhead » March 7th, 2020, 10:56 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 10:51 am
Merrill was pretty beat up last night.
He's always beat up! That's why I have so much respect for him. No one plays harder and goes to the floor more. One of our all time greats! Go Aggies!

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 7th, 2020, 12:46 pm

I think Queta needs to be a monster in this game, on offense and defense. He needs to really put forth a lot of effort and fight for position. This will force their defense to collapse and double on him when he gets the ball. The defense will not let up on Merrill so it’s going to have to be Brito to step up and hits those outside shots when Queta passes out of the double teams. If we can hit those shots early, this is a game we can win. If they don’t respect anybody else and overplay on Sam and double Queta every time then we will start to fall away late.

Right now, SDSU is getting production from every starter and we need the same. I think we are very similar teams and matchup pretty well across the board. Queta/Wetzell and Merrill/Flynn are the 2 main components of each team. Bean/Mitchell are each a huge factor in their own right and can step up. Brito/Feagan can each be streaky but can be critical to the success of each team. I think our 5th man compared to their 5 man is where we might be falling short. They have Schakel who is what we expect Miller to be. He will make his open 3’s where we cringe when he shoots. He did hit 3/8 last night which is ok. I think Anderson and Bairstow off the bench though can give us an advantage especially if the game forces team to go deeper in their benches due to foul trouble. If we can get Flynn, Mitchell, or Wetzell into foul trouble and we likewise have a key top 3 guy in foul trouble, that could tip the scale in our favor.

The refs are another huge factor in this game. If they call no fouls and let Mitchell grab and pull like they have been in previous games during this tournament, then we will struggle. If they just call the game according to the rules like they should and not give into the crowd, then we can win this game.

Our crowd really needs to step up this game. We sit down too much and are not cheering. We should have been way louder than Wyoming last night but it was pretty much even from each crowd. If we act the same tonight, it will be like the SDSU troll said, a home game for them. We need to be active and not intimidated.

This is a lot of things that need to align for us to win which is why we are the underdog. I think though we play better as the underdog, we play more free. So hopefully the star can align and we can get some things to fall our way and pull out the victory.

*CONSPIRACY THEORY*
Stop reading if you don’t want to know..
The mountain west wants 2 teams in the tournament and SDSU will be better off in a 2 seed position in the West. The refs might be looking to give the Aggies the benefit of the doubt is situations where they usually would be giving those calls to SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 2):
SwaggieAggieEl Sapo

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » March 7th, 2020, 2:01 pm

scotlandog wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 12:46 pm
I think Queta needs to be a monster in this game, on offense and defense. He needs to really put forth a lot of effort and fight for position. This will force their defense to collapse and double on him when he gets the ball. The defense will not let up on Merrill so it’s going to have to be Brito to step up and hits those outside shots when Queta passes out of the double teams. If we can hit those shots early, this is a game we can win. If they don’t respect anybody else and overplay on Sam and double Queta every time then we will start to fall away late.

Right now, SDSU is getting production from every starter and we need the same. I think we are very similar teams and matchup pretty well across the board. Queta/Wetzell and Merrill/Flynn are the 2 main components of each team. Bean/Mitchell are each a huge factor in their own right and can step up. Brito/Feagan can each be streaky but can be critical to the success of each team. I think our 5th man compared to their 5 man is where we might be falling short. They have Schakel who is what we expect Miller to be. He will make his open 3’s where we cringe when he shoots. He did hit 3/8 last night which is ok. I think Anderson and Bairstow off the bench though can give us an advantage especially if the game forces team to go deeper in their benches due to foul trouble. If we can get Flynn, Mitchell, or Wetzell into foul trouble and we likewise have a key top 3 guy in foul trouble, that could tip the scale in our favor.

The refs are another huge factor in this game. If they call no fouls and let Mitchell grab and pull like they have been in previous games during this tournament, then we will struggle. If they just call the game according to the rules like they should and not give into the crowd, then we can win this game.

Our crowd really needs to step up this game. We sit down too much and are not cheering. We should have been way louder than Wyoming last night but it was pretty much even from each crowd. If we act the same tonight, it will be like the SDSU troll said, a home game for them. We need to be active and not intimidated.

This is a lot of things that need to align for us to win which is why we are the underdog. I think though we play better as the underdog, we play more free. So hopefully the star can align and we can get some things to fall our way and pull out the victory.

*CONSPIRACY THEORY*
Stop reading if you don’t want to know..
The mountain west wants 2 teams in the tournament and SDSU will be better off in a 2 seed position in the West. The refs might be looking to give the Aggies the benefit of the doubt is situations where they usually would be giving those calls to SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My contacts tell me that the script for todays game features a focused Aggie team playing loose and scoring at will against an Aztec team seemingly flat and uninterested after reports that they will be a number 1 seed in the east with a win over USU, or a number 2 seed in the west (and play locally) with a loss...….

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » March 7th, 2020, 3:19 pm

I just saw we have Dave Hall reffing which is not great.
These users thanked the author Aggie-Man for the post (total 2):
usufan1scotlandog

Locked Previous topicNext topic