(SDSU/USU) whoever gets furthest in the NCAA tournament is the best team in the MWC

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie in Boise

Re: (SDSU/USU) whoever gets furthest in the NCAA tournament is the best team in the MWC

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 10th, 2020, 7:16 am

SDSU has no credibility whatsoever. SDSU said that Utah State wouldn't make it to the NCAA Tournament and that Utah State would lose by double digits in the MWC Tournament. Now SDSU is saying that whoever gets the furthest in the NCAA Tournament is the best team in the MWC and that San Diego State will be national champs. :wtf: :crazy: :bs: :nono: That's a tall order for a team that couldn't win the MWC Tournament Championship. We have the MWC basketball trophy because we are the best team in the MWC. We should request a 14 or 15 seed from the NCAA so that we can play San Diego State in the first round because they choke when it matters.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 4):
USU78aggies22scotlandogFloridaAggie13

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

GeoAg

Re: (SDSU/USU) whoever gets furthest in the NCAA tournament is the best team in the MWC

Post by GeoAg » March 10th, 2020, 8:21 am

Would love to see Sam Diego State win it all. Would be great for the conference, this joker notwithstanding.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 10th, 2020, 9:33 am

SDSU wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 1:53 am
SDSU wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 1:39 am
SDSU will win the national title.
I thought you were a realist? Maybe you meant, realist as in, REAL I STupid.
so a realist wouldn't pick the #1 seed to win the NCAA tournament?

plz stop using words you know nothing about.
Haha. Maybe a #1 seed has a chance. Unfortunately Sam Diogo State got knocked down to a #2 seed when Utah State beat them when it counted. I thought you are a realist but it seems you’re living in the past.

And no, I don’t really think Sam Diogo State makes it past the first weekend. I think that 7 seed might just get the job done. Sam Diogo State just isn’t peaking right now. Everything is in free fall after the UNLV loss and they’ve been lucky to pull it out after trailing against lower competition. As the competition level has increased, they have finally lost again. Flynn, like was mentioned, checked out mentally it seems. Sam Diogo State lost not in the last 10 seconds of the second half to Sam “Your Daddy” Merrill, they lost in the last 10 seconds of the first half after that dagger 3 by Diogo.

Now they’ve had to sit on that loss for over a week. They’ll beat their first cupcake but I don’t think they’ll be there mentally for the second game and will take their 3rd loss. How about seeing if you can make the S16 before you talk about national championship against teams that do show up when it counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
Aggie in Boise

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 10th, 2020, 10:10 am

SDSU wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:15 am
brownjeans wrote:
SDSU wrote:

Pfft... confirmed, REAL I STupid. SDSU won't be the no. 1 seed. You're delusional.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 10th, 2020, 11:08 am

speaking of NET

SDSU is #4 in NET ranking Baylor #5. Baylor has to win the big 12 tournament to keep their 1 seed, otherwise sdsu takes it. Same goes with Gonzaga and dayton

#4 in NET=the final #1 seed in the NCAA tournament

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 10th, 2020, 11:11 am

brownjeans wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 10:10 am
SDSU wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:15 am
brownjeans wrote:
SDSU wrote:

Pfft... confirmed, REAL I STupid. SDSU won't be the no. 1 seed. You're delusional.
They will if either Dayton, Gonzaga, or Baylor doesn't win their conference tournament. The chances of ALL of them winning their conf. tournament is slim.

The seedings right now is only contingent if they win their conf. tournament.

Donman

Post by Donman » March 10th, 2020, 11:11 am

kofdog wrote:It's Frank....now I'm sure of it.
Only thing that leaves me in doubt is the lack of 40 times.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 10th, 2020, 11:13 am

Refuting this troll aside, Malachi Flynn is an excellent player and a competitor. He was very dissatisfied with his performance following the tournament game, as seen in the post game press conference. Malachi, Mitchell, and Feagin come out with fire under their butts from a poor performance. Wetzell will have a great performance, as usual.

I think SDSU pummels their first round competitor, and puts the second challenger to the ropes in a dominant fashion from start to finish. None of that meh first half and monster comeback second half.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 10th, 2020, 11:40 am

I really hope Sam Diogo St. does get the #1 seed. In the East region. That would greatly increase our hopes of going to Spokane or Sacramento.

Gonzaga just has to win tonight to lock up the #1 west seed. After that happens sdsu will be a #1 or #2 seed in a different region. All the other conference tourneys really don't matter to USU fans. All we want is bid stealers.

Actually...wouldn't it be better for USU possibly, to root for the Zags tonight. St Mary's win might help our NET a bit but as far as seeding and region, NET is obviously pretty fluid.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 10th, 2020, 11:58 am

I think the underlying issue is that San Diego State doesn't have much gas left in the tank, at least Mitchell doesn't. He needs to be commended for losing weight but he's still out of shape and his current body type isn't made for basketball marathons like the NCAA Tournament. His current body type is best suited for a food/restaurant marathon. Mitchell only scored 4 points in that last game against us. After winning their first 26 games San Diego State has dropped two games in the last couple of weeks. It's all down hill from here. Best of luck to SDSU and his/her team in their quest to win the National Championship.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » March 10th, 2020, 12:38 pm

May be worth noting that San Diego State is one of only nine teams in the history of the NCAA tournament to have lost to a #15 seed.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 10th, 2020, 12:43 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 12:38 pm
May be worth noting that San Diego State is one of only nine teams in the history of the NCAA tournament to have lost to a #15 seed.
They may be in for a repeat.

How can a so-called realist fan expect a team, whose best player is a borderline NBA player, to get to the final four? @SDSU is simply unable to reason. But I think we knew that.
I'd like SDSU to make a deep run (money for the conference), but they're more likely to get bounced early than they are to make it to the final four.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 10th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Baylor and Gonzaga are looks at #1. Sam Diogo State is not going to pass them up. You’re only hope is Dayton loses and Florida State or other don’t make a great run. Honestly, I don’t think the committee will give SDSU the benefit of the doubt for #1 seed with that Q3 loss on their record and current trajectory being questionable. SDSU is almost certainly locked in at the #2 spot no matter what happens.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 10th, 2020, 1:27 pm

scotlandog wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 1:11 pm
Baylor and Gonzaga are looks at #1. Sam Diogo State is not going to pass them up. You’re only hope is Dayton loses and Florida State or other don’t make a great run. Honestly, I don’t think the committee will give SDSU the benefit of the doubt for #1 seed with that Q3 loss on their record and current trajectory being questionable. SDSU is almost certainly locked in at the #2 spot no matter what happens.
Yeah, and here's the other thing - there's NO WAY the committee will only put 1 P5 teams as a 1 seed, it's a reach they'd even put only 2 P5 teams as 1 seeds. Gonzaga is likely the only mid-major 1 seed. Even if Dayton wins their conference they might be skipped over. SDSU has no chance.
Don't be surprised if we have Kansas, Gonzaga, Florida State, and Baylor as our 1 seeds - regardless of what happens this week. They'll just say something like "the net rankings are just one criteria by which we evaluate."

What they won't say is, "we simply cannot rate them lower than a few G5 upstarts when we don't believe they play a challenging conference schedule."

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 10th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 11:58 am
I think the underlying issue is that San Diego State doesn't have much gas left in the tank, at least Mitchell doesn't. He needs to be commended for losing weight but he's still out of shape and his current body type isn't made for basketball marathons like the NCAA Tournament. His current body type is best suited for a food/restaurant marathon. Mitchell only scored 4 points in that last game against us. After winning their first 26 games San Diego State has dropped two games in the last couple of weeks. It's all down hill from here. Best of luck to SDSU and his/her team in their quest to win the National Championship.
sdsu lost by 3 pts on each game(both of which SDSU has beaten) and will have easier opponents the first two rounds due to their #1 seed

the #4 seeded team will start to get competitive when sdsu faces them in the S16

as a realist, i'm picking the #1 seeded SDSU to win the NCAA tournament and will be national champions.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 10th, 2020, 10:57 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 1:27 pm
scotlandog wrote:
Yeah, and here's the other thing - there's NO WAY the committee will only put 1 P5 teams as a 1 seed, it's a reach they'd even put only 2 P5 teams as 1 seeds. Gonzaga is likely the only mid-major 1 seed. Even if Dayton wins their conference they might be skipped over. SDSU has no chance.
Don't be surprised if we have Kansas, Gonzaga, Florida State, and Baylor as our 1 seeds - regardless of what happens this week. They'll just say something like "the net rankings are just one criteria by which we evaluate."

What they won't say is, "we simply cannot rate them lower than a few G5 upstarts when we don't believe they play a challenging conference schedule."
sdsu is #4 in NET ranking. They will get the #1 seed if baylor does not win the big 12 tournament. This same goes to Dayton as well.

Florida st is wayyy too far behind to get the #1 seed. Not sure if that's a joke or not.

So far there are only FIVE teams contending for FOUR #1 spots in the ncaa tournaments. Baylor/Gonzaga are most likely guaranteed the #1 seed. Dayton/Baylor still has to win their conf. tournament to keep the #1 seed.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 10th, 2020, 11:01 pm

scotlandog wrote:

Baylor is #5 in NET ranking, SDSU is #4. NET ranking is what the committee said they will primarily use to determine the seeding. Baylor has to win the big 12 tournament. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. Also, They have a Q3 loss as well losing to TCU by double digits.

Gonzaga is guaranteed, they are conf and tournament champs.

Dayton has to win the A10 tournament. Florida st has zero chance of getting the #1 seed

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 11th, 2020, 2:04 am

SDSU wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

Baylor is #5 in NET ranking, SDSU is #4. NET ranking is what the committee said they will primarily use to determine the seeding. Baylor has to win the big 12 tournament. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. Also, They have a Q3 loss as well losing to TCU by double digits.

Dayton has to win the A10 tournament. Florida st has zero chance of getting the #1 seed
Nope. sorry. Baylor does not have a Q3 loss. Only SDSU has a Q3 in that group and I guarantee they will not receive a #1 seed. Baylor is locked in. Kansas is locked in. Gonzaga is locked in. Dayton if they win out will get the #1 seed(which is highly likely). If not, they will give it to Florida St. SDSU will be the #2 in the West. Come to grips already with this.

The NET is a tool, not the only tool to decide. Otherwise we wouldn’t be hearing about Texas potentially getting in or UCLA getting in. UCLA is 76 in the NET and will get in. The committee can use any or all or none metrics as they see fit and even just make a decision based on whatever they want to do. And guess what, they want to put SDSU as the #2 in the West.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 11th, 2020, 4:20 am

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings

1 Gonzaga WCC
2 Kansas Big 12
3 Dayton Atlantic 10
4 San Diego St. Mountain West

5 Baylor Big 12
6 Duke ACC
7 Michigan St. Big Ten
8 Louisville ACC
9 BYU WCC
10 Florida St. ACC

there, the ones i bolded will get the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. There are FOUR #1 seeds, the top FOUR teams in the NCAA evaluation team(NET) will get the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. SDSU is #4 ,therefore they get the final #1 seed. however, Baylor and Dayton still has theire conf. tournament to play, and if they both win, sdsu will be a 2 seed.

The NET was built to create a ranking system that was as accurate as possible while also evaluating team performance fairly. To ensure fairness, certain types of data were omitted from the model. Of key importance, game date and order were omitted to give equal importance to both early and late-season games.

Florida is #10 in NET, even if they win the ACC tournament, they will not jump from 10 to 4 in NET

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 11th, 2020, 5:16 am

SDSU wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 11:01 pm
scotlandog wrote:

I'm guessing your age is about 12 but you still believe in Santa Claus? Enjoy the optimism of youth because if you really believe there are no "ifs and buts" about it when it comes to the NCAA seeding process, life is going to quickly give you some reality checks in a lot of areas beyond basketball. Cheers.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
scotlandog

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 11th, 2020, 5:24 am

SDSU wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 4:20 am

1 Gonzaga WCC
2 Kansas Big 12
3 Dayton Atlantic 10

5 Baylor Big 12
6 Duke ACC
7 Michigan St. Big Ten
8 Louisville ACC
9 BYU WCC
10 Florida St. ACC

there, the ones i bolded will get the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. There are FOUR #1 seeds, the top FOUR teams in the NCAA evaluation team(NET) will get the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. SDSU is #4 ,therefore they get the final #1 seed. however, Baylor and Dayton still has theire conf. tournament to play, and if they both win, sdsu will be a 2 seed.

The NET was built to create a ranking system that was as accurate as possible while also evaluating team performance fairly. To ensure fairness, certain types of data were omitted from the model. Of key importance, game date and order were omitted to give equal importance to both early and late-season games.

Florida is #10 in NET, even if they win the ACC tournament, they will not jump from 10 to 4 in NET
Might want to stem your hopes a bit. Last year, number 7 in net got a 1 seed over number 4. Number 4 got a 3 seed. But then again, the number 4 team in question had 31 wins and was in a midmajor conference, so not really comparable to sdsu.

That team had 6 wins vs tier 1. Sdsu has 4.
That team had 11 wins vs tier 2. Sdsu has 7.
That team didn’t lose any tier 2 3 or 4 games. Sdsu...well, clearly sdsu is better. Clearly.

Be happy with the 2 seed you’ll get and go do your homework before your mom comes home.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie19scotlandog

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 11th, 2020, 9:49 am

SDSU wrote:

1 Gonzaga WCC
2 Kansas Big 12
3 Dayton Atlantic 10

5 Baylor Big 12
6 Duke ACC
7 Michigan St. Big Ten
8 Louisville ACC
9 BYU WCC
10 Florida St. ACC

If you think the NCAA is going to put only 1 P5 team in the top 4, you're dumber than I thought you were. It's not happening.
I give Gonzaga a 90% chance at a no. 1 and I think they're likely to be the only non-P5 in the four 1 seeds.
If Dayton wins their tournament, I give them a 50/50 chance at being a 1 seed. Baylor, Duke, Michigan St. Louisville and Florida State all have a better chance at a 1 seed than SDSU.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Roy McAvoy

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 11th, 2020, 10:56 am

The best team in the best conference needs to get a #1 seed...right?

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 11th, 2020, 11:02 am

Donman wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 11:11 am
kofdog wrote:It's Frank....now I'm sure of it.
Only thing that leaves me in doubt is the lack of 40 times.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
When it came to basketball, frank was more about the basketball stats that no one knew but him...like he invented it. Also, you could NEVER ever come close to get him to concede or admin a mistake, that that's where this guy feels like Frank....he's never wrong.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 11th, 2020, 11:47 am

NVAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 10:56 am
You'd think so. With that in mind Creighton has a better chance than SDSU - despite NET or the head-to-head

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » March 11th, 2020, 11:50 am

NVAggie wrote:
I would imagine you will see the following as #1 assuming they win their conference tournaments.
Gonzaga
Kansas or Baylor
Dayton
Duke/Louisville/Florida State

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 11th, 2020, 2:38 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 9:49 am
SDSU wrote:

1 Gonzaga WCC
2 Kansas Big 12
3 Dayton Atlantic 10

5 Baylor Big 12
6 Duke ACC
7 Michigan St. Big Ten
8 Louisville ACC
9 BYU WCC
10 Florida St. ACC

If you think the NCAA is going to put only 1 P5 team in the top 4, you're dumber than I thought you were. It's not happening.
I give Gonzaga a 90% chance at a no. 1 and I think they're likely to be the only non-P5 in the four 1 seeds.
If Dayton wins their tournament, I give them a 50/50 chance at being a 1 seed. Baylor, Duke, Michigan St. Louisville and Florida State all have a better chance at a 1 seed than SDSU.
lol

You do realize the NCAA committee will use NET ranking more stringently this year right? They change the criterias every year and although NET isn't the only tool they use, it's the one they will primarily use. The top 4 teams in the final NET ranking will get the #1 seed.

if Dayton or Baylor does not win their conference tournament, the #1 seed goes to SDSU. #10 in NET florida st will not get trhe #1 seed regardless if they win the acc tournament

those current bracketologies you see are contingent if they actually win their conference tournament.

A non big 12 champion, non big 12 tournament champion, FIVE losses(including a dbl digit loss to Q3 TCU) and the only redeeming factor are Q1 wins, there is absolutely no chance Baylor will get the #1 seed above a two loss(both of which by 3 pts) to a 30-2 sdsu team.

Baylor and Dayton's #1 seed is on the line if they don't win the conf. tournament. Otherwise, the first in line to get it is SDSU if in case the aforementioned teams don't win their conf. tourney

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 11th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Maybe in the 2017 where they went trictly on the Quadrant system, Baylor will easily get the #1 seed

NCAA change their criterias every year. This year however, they will use NET more stringently.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 11th, 2020, 2:41 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 11:47 am
NVAggie wrote:
You'd think so. With that in mind Creighton has a better chance than SDSU - despite NET or the head-to-head
Creighton? the projected 2 seed that sdsu beat by 31 pts on the road?

if Creighton simply makes it to the big east title gamae, they will be top 10 in NET giving SDSU two wins against the top 10 both on the road, both by blowout.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 11th, 2020, 2:43 pm

SDSU wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 2:41 pm
brownjeans wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 11:47 am
NVAggie wrote:
Creighton? the projected 2 seed that sdsu beat by 31 pts on the road?

if Creighton simply makes it to the big east title gamae, they will be top 10 in NET giving SDSU two wins against the top 10 both on the road, both by blowout.
Good job, that's pretty good for a 2 seed.

Go Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 11th, 2020, 3:16 pm

SDSU wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 2:38 pm
You do realize the NCAA committee will use NET ranking more stringently this year right? They change the criterias every year and although NET isn't the only tool they use, it's the one they will primarily use. The top 4 teams in the final NET ranking will get the #1 seed.

if Dayton or Baylor does not win their conference tournament, the #1 seed goes to SDSU. #10 in NET florida st will not get trhe #1 seed regardless if they win the acc tournament

those current bracketologies you see are contingent if they actually win their conference tournament.

A non big 12 champion, non big 12 tournament champion, FIVE losses(including a dbl digit loss to Q3 TCU) and the only redeeming factor are Q1 wins, there is absolutely no chance Baylor will get the #1 seed above a two loss(both of which by 3 pts) to a 30-2 sdsu team.

Baylor and Dayton's #1 seed is on the line if they don't win the conf. tournament. Otherwise, the first in line to get it is SDSU if in case the aforementioned teams don't win their conf. tourney
Prepare yourself for disappointment, friend. It's coming. When you get a 3 seed, come here and rage about the injustice. We'll support you.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 3:16 pm
SDSU wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Prepare yourself for disappointment, friend. It's coming. When you get a 3 seed, come here and rage about the injustice. We'll support you.
Agreed. The SDSU team definitely should be better than a 3 seed. 1 seed isn't off the table, but would be really surprising. Either way, hopefully SDSU the team is less of a little bit** than SDSU the troll is. I'd love them to make some serious noise in the tourney.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 11th, 2020, 10:09 pm

@SDSU Well, USU made it into the tournament. You haven't.

So, unless things change... guess who got the furthest in the tourney? We did. Looks like SDSU will just have to play second fiddle again.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
ProvoAggie

freakboy

Post by freakboy » March 11th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Once they cancel The Big Dance, the season will end with SDSU losing to Utah State.
These users thanked the author freakboy for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieFloridaAggie13

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 11th, 2020, 10:37 pm

The goal is to win the last game of the season. We did it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic