NET rankings

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse

NET rankings

Post by bluegrouse » March 9th, 2020, 10:47 am

Kinda ridiculous that you can win 3 straight games including the #5 team in the country and a championship and actually fall a point in the NET rankings from 39 last week to 40 today. And SDSU loses to us and they stay at 4. I get why (Wyoming) but that just reveals a flaw in the ranking system IMO.

Agzrule

Re: NET rankings

Post by Agzrule » March 9th, 2020, 10:55 am

NCAA needs to be transparent with the NET. I was surprised to see us get passed by East Tennessee. Why doesn’t basketball follow football in how teams are selected, if panel is allowing teams in with low NET, what is the purpose of it???

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 9th, 2020, 10:58 am

You have to remember that this late in the season, what the teams you played do has greater influence on your NET than what you do. Among other things, SDSU got a bump from Creighton who beat #8 Seton Hall by double digits.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 9th, 2020, 11:13 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 10:58 am
You have to remember that this late in the season, what the teams you played do has greater influence on your NET than what you do. Among other things, SDSU got a bump from Creighton who beat #8 Seton Hall by double digits.
I think this is true. It’s a little silly we didn’t get more of a bump for beating a Top 5 NET team. I was expecting to jump up to 35 or so.

What I don’t really understand is why BYU is getting so much mileage out of their Gonzaga win when we are getting almost nothing NET-wise out of our comparable SDSU win.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 9th, 2020, 11:19 am

I mention what is wrong with the NET rankings in December.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51778 my post about the NET rankings
The whole focus on scoring efficiency element messed up the NET rankings.
It does not take account injuries (teams like us) and coaches' like Craig Smith who really play their bench players (who would not play in games for many teams) when they are ahead by a good margin. Award teams teams like Utah who run up the score.
We have fallen in the NET rankings and winning at the same time.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 9th, 2020, 11:21 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 11:13 am
aceofspadeskb wrote:
I think this is true. It’s a little silly we didn’t get more of a bump for beating a Top 5 NET team. I was expecting to jump up to 35 or so.

What I don’t really understand is why BYU is getting so much mileage out of their Gonzaga win when we are getting almost nothing NET-wise out of our comparable SDSU win.
They have 0 losses to Q3 teams. We have 2. Just my guess.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 9th, 2020, 11:34 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 11:21 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 11:13 am
aceofspadeskb wrote:

They have 0 losses to Q3 teams. We have 2. Just my guess.
Stat breakdown
BYU played Gonzaga (twice), San Diego State (home game), Utah State (neutral court), St. Mary's (twice), Kansas (neutral court), Utah (road game), and a number of decently ranked opponents.
Last edited by SLB on March 9th, 2020, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 9th, 2020, 11:34 am

There's two things really affecting it.

#1 - The efficiency part of it. We went wire to wire with the #269 team in the nation. That really brought us down doing that this late in the year. While we did beat SDSU, it was also on a buzzer beater so that didn't give us quite as much of a boost as we maybe thought. I have to think that had we played Nevada instead of Wyoming and then beat SDSU, our Net ranking would be about 5 spots higher.

#2 - What's happening to other teams we've beat throughout the year. We'll see our Net ranking fluctuate even though we're not playing now depending on what the teams we played in pre-conference play do.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 9th, 2020, 11:38 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 11:34 am

#1 - The efficiency part of it. We went wire to wire with the #269 team in the nation. That really brought us down doing that this late in the year. While we did beat SDSU, it was also on a buzzer beater so that didn't give us quite as much of a boost as we maybe thought. I have to think that had we played Nevada instead of Wyoming and then beat SDSU, our Net ranking would be about 5 spots higher.

#2 - What's happening to other teams we've beat throughout the year. We'll see our Net ranking fluctuate even though we're not playing now depending on what the teams we played in pre-conference play do.
Another thing that the NET rankings that does account is that MWC tournament Wyoming was good and saved up all of their 3s for the MWC tournament. If Wyoming played like that for most of the season, they would have a good record.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 9th, 2020, 11:41 am

Hard to overcome some really bad losses in the NET.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 9th, 2020, 11:52 am

SLB wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 11:38 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Another thing that the NET rankings that does account is that MWC tournament Wyoming was good and saved up all of their 3s for the MWC tournament. If Wyoming played like that for most of the season, they would have a good record.
Could someone translate this for me?

SLB

Post by SLB » March 9th, 2020, 11:58 am

utaggies wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 11:52 am
SLB wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I simply said Wyoming for most of season was bad, but Wyoming was good in MWC tournament. Net Rankings don't see that.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 9th, 2020, 11:59 am

utaggies wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 11:52 am
SLB wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

He's saying that sure, we barely beat Wyoming, but that's because Wyoming just went off from the 3 point line in the conference tournament. The whole MWC was drug down in the NET ranking by Wyoming suddenly learning how to shoot in the conference tournament.

On the year, Wyoming was 32% from the 3 and made less than 8 threes per game. In the MWC tournament, they shot 44% from the 3 and made 12.7 threes per game.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on March 9th, 2020, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 9th, 2020, 12:08 pm

I don't care much about the NET Ranking right now. We are automatically in the tournament.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » March 9th, 2020, 4:47 pm

There just seems to be too much weight on who you play.

Look at Marquette. 18-12 overall 3-8 on the road, 8-10 in conference, 2-8 against the top half of the Big East and they have lost 6 out of their last 7 games yet they have a 26 net ranking and bracketologists have them pretty safely in the dance. Unless they make a run in the Big east tournament they have no business getting an at-large bid.
These users thanked the author Aggieiester for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 9th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 4:47 pm
There just seems to be too much weight on who you play.

Look at Marquette. 18-12 overall 3-8 on the road, 8-10 in conference, 2-8 against the top half of the Big East and they have lost 6 out of their last 7 games yet they have a 26 net ranking and bracketologists have them pretty safely in the dance. Unless they make a run in the Big east tournament they have no business getting an at-large bid.
Counterpoint — wouldn’t you love Marquette to be our first round matchup?

Locked Previous topicNext topic