Great Article on "The Shot"

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Great Article on "The Shot"

Post by Floppy Hat » March 12th, 2020, 8:51 am

If you haven't used your monthly "Free Article" on The Athletic yet, this one is worth it:

https://theathletic.com/1671049/2020/03 ... l-history/

Its a quick oral history/deep dive on Sam's shot to win the conference tournament. Here are some highlights:

Smith: We practice late-game situations on a regular basis, so there was never a doubt. To be honest, I wouldn’t call it a dream, but I had more of a premonition that morning of the game, just getting ready for the game, I just had a strong inclination that it was going to come down to the very end of the game. You can never predict it. I just had a premonition. We’re not an iso team at all. When I first got hired, not even two years ago, over the summer we put in a lot of iso sets for Sam. I’m not an iso coach. That’s just not my deal. We’re No. 10 in assists this year, last year we were No. 5 in the country in assists, we really move the ball, share the ball as an offense. We put in a couple iso sets for Sam a couple years ago and Sam kind of looked at me, ‘Iso ball is not really my deal,’ and I said, ‘Yeah, I can tell.’

Garrard: After the Colorado State game, he’d mentioned to me that he’d hit that shot a thousand times in practice. Where he dribbles outside the 3-point line, where he rises, fires and hits the shot. It’s something that he knew he could do with a high level of regularity. So when he’s hesitating outside that 3-point line with about five or six seconds left, I knew for sure he was going to rise for a 3. Normally, he’d been going kind of straight away. He worked a little bit more left than normal and a little bit had to do with Feagin and so Feagin forced him a little bit left. To see him rise up was not a surprise at all.

Merrill: I just feel like I’ve been in a lot of situations where … I’m not a big celebratory guy. So I hate when guys celebrate early and then something happens. For me, it was all like, we need to get just one stop and then celebrate as much as we want. I wish there would’ve been less time, so I could have celebrated, but I was just like thinking, ‘Thank goodness Jalen Moore’s not on the floor.’

Merrill had a front-row seat for a half-court heave from the right side of the floor seven years ago. His eventually USU teammate, former forward Jalen Moore, hit a half-court buzzer-beater in the Utah Class 4A semifinals in 2013. Merrill was guarding Moore.

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl

Re: Great Article on "The Shot"

Post by Floppy Hat » March 12th, 2020, 8:55 am

Here is the clip of Jalen's buzzer beater with Sam guarding him. Eerily similar to the shot Flynn got off at the buzzer last Saturday.

And of course, a clip of "The Shot" courtesy of GameFAQs:

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 12th, 2020, 9:00 am

Floppy Hat wrote:Here is the clip of Jalen's buzzer beater with Sam guarding him. Eerily similar to the shot Flynn got off at the buzzer last Saturday.

And of course, a clip of "The Shot" courtesy of GameFAQs:

I could watch Sam’s shot all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Real Life Aggie

Re: Great Article on

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 12th, 2020, 9:40 am

2004AG wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 9:00 am
I could watch Sam’s shot all day.
Same here. Man, it's just so great. And the excerpts above from that article are awesome.

I don't read the Athletic, but it's not giving me a free article. Thoughts, anyone?

jimbo

Post by jimbo » March 12th, 2020, 1:27 pm

That shot may end up being Sam's final college basket. Disappointing he may not get to play in the NCAA tourney, but wow, what a way to go out.

Aggiebull

Post by Aggiebull » March 12th, 2020, 1:34 pm

It was interesting that Moore's shot was just about the spot where Flynn shot his.

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » March 12th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Aggiebull wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 1:34 pm
It was interesting that Moore's shot was just about the spot where Flynn shot his.
But Moore made his.

Moore > Flynn

Facts are facts.

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

Locked Previous topicNext topic