New Mexico’s virtual tour

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bpd

New Mexico’s virtual tour

Post by bpd » April 9th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Real Life Aggie

Re: New Mexico’s virtual tour

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 9th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Interesting. Coach Weir seems like a good guy.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 10th, 2020, 9:13 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:Interesting. Coach Weir seems like a good guy.
I’ve always thought the same thing. My second favorite coach in the conference.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0

bpd

Post by bpd » April 10th, 2020, 10:35 am

I think Weir is a real good guy. I read somewhere a couple of years ago where he invited MW coaches to dinner the night before they played to dinner. Only a couple took him up on it. I know one was Duryea, I think one was Rice, Steve Fischer maybe.

Given all that, it appears he not a good head basketball coach.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 10th, 2020, 11:22 am

bpd wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 10:35 am
I think Weir is a real good guy. I read somewhere a couple of years ago where he invited MW coaches to dinner the night before they played to dinner. Only a couple took him up on it. I know one was Duryea, I think one was Rice, Steve Fischer maybe.

I’d agree I’ve been impressed with him from that perspective. However I do question why he recruits and signs some of the players that he does as some have a history of making poor choices. He had the suspensions with the kids this year (which isn’t their first offense). Then have a transfer from Oklahoma state that has a history with poor choices.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 11:22 am
bpd wrote:

I’d agree I’ve been impressed with him from that perspective. However I do question why he recruits and signs some of the players that he does as some have a history of making poor choices. He had the suspensions with the kids this year (which isn’t their first offense). Then have a transfer from Oklahoma state that has a history with poor choices.
Do we have a virtual tour of our facilities ? It would seem like a good thing to show recruits when they can not visit. I.m not impressed with our sports information dept. seems like we should do more.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 10th, 2020, 1:13 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm
slcagg wrote:
bpd wrote:

Do we have a virtual tour of our facilities ? It would seem like a good thing to show recruits when they can not visit. I.m not impressed with our sports information dept. seems like we should do more.
Agreed....but will we finally decide to do more to show off our lovely facilities??? Well noted oleblu,spot on

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 10th, 2020, 1:16 pm

I've gained a lot of respect for Weir the past 2 years and how he's handled tough tourney losses to the Aggies. He holds himself accountable and so I think he feels a sense of duty to hold his players accountable when necessary. That's a good thing that these athletes need. I think he'll be just fine at New Mexico if he starts to grow the program with 3-4 year players. It's hard to depend so heavily on transfers that have already learned to look for greener pastures when things get tough.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
oleblu111

bpd

Post by bpd » April 10th, 2020, 2:45 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
bpd wrote:

Before you go bashing our SID, realize this was not by the New Mexico SID. This was done by a reporter who called up the basketball coach and said what are you doing with recruiting, can we take a look. Like I said, good reporting. And I am pretty sure we have a virtual tour, not just of the athletic facilities but of the whole campus.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 10th, 2020, 4:18 pm

bpd wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 2:45 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
bpd wrote:

Before you go bashing our SID, realize this was not by the New Mexico SID. This was done by a reporter who called up the basketball coach and said what are you doing with recruiting, can we take a look. Like I said, good reporting. And I am pretty sure we have a virtual tour, not just of the athletic facilities but of the whole campus. For fun I went to the University web site which had virtual tours of the University one was 20 minutes long no mention of athletics.
There maybe a virtual tour of the campus, but what is on the USU athletic web site leaves a lot to be desired. If something is not done well it does not just reflect on the S.I.D. it looks bad for the entire dept. If you believe it is well done ok, I just disagree.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » April 11th, 2020, 9:49 pm

Weir is a good guy. I was at the top of the visitor tunnel after a game once and he had gone back down for an interview. Meanwhile, there were a couple of female student workers at the bottom struggling to push a cart full of chairs up the tunnel to put them away. I had just started down the tunnel to help them when here came Weir jogging across the court. I thought he was late for a bus or something, but he was actually running to help our students push the cart. He pushed it all the way back up the tunnel and helped them actually put it all away, then he went and gave his postgame speech to his players and they left. Also, they lost the game that night and he still did what he did, so yeah, he's a good guy.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 4):
BustaMcNuttReal Life AggieBank ShotAglicious

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 12th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Ahbye wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Weir is a good guy. I was at the top of the visitor tunnel after a game once and he had gone back down for an interview. Meanwhile, there were a couple of female student workers at the bottom struggling to push a cart full of chairs up the tunnel to put them away. I had just started down the tunnel to help them when here came Weir jogging across the court. I thought he was late for a bus or something, but he was actually running to help our students push the cart. He pushed it all the way back up the tunnel and helped them actually put it all away, then he went and gave his postgame speech to his players and they left. Also, they lost the game that night and he still did what he did, so yeah, he's a good guy.
Wow, I can't imagine any other coach doing something like that after suffering a loss.

Locked Previous topicNext topic