MWC question will this impact SDSU and SJSU and Fresno State

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

MWC question will this impact SDSU and SJSU and Fresno State

Post by SLB » May 13th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Last edited by SLB on May 13th, 2020, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sstrasser

Re: MWC question will this impact SDSU and SJSU

Post by sstrasser » May 13th, 2020, 12:28 pm

San Diego State has already come out and challenged this, saying they are prepared to do a dual learning some on campus and some online. Fresno State is also saying things contrary to this report.
I think they have jumped the gun on this and to say the whole state is in the same situation is not correct.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 13th, 2020, 12:42 pm

sstrasser wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 12:28 pm
San Diego State has already come out and challenged this, saying they are prepared to do a dual learning some on campus and some online. Fresno State is also saying things contrary to this report.
I think they have jumped the gun on this and to say the whole state is in the same situation is not correct.
Maybe this is the opportunity to dump SJSU. :)
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
SwaggieAggie

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » May 13th, 2020, 4:58 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 12:42 pm
sstrasser wrote:
Ideally we would dump SJSU from the MWC, and possibly pickup BYU back into the Mountain West so they're forced to come to the Spectrum almost every year.

SLB

Post by SLB » May 13th, 2020, 5:26 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 4:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
Ideally we would dump SJSU from the MWC, and possibly pickup BYU back into the Mountain West so they're forced to come to the Spectrum almost every year.
Honestly, this would be great. SJSU keeps dragging down the MWC.
It would end the non-conference madness when facing BYU.

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » May 13th, 2020, 6:25 pm

SLB wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 5:26 pm
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
This year with CFB going in the can and basketball possibly being in question this could pretty much force BYU's hand to rejoin the Mountain West. This would not only be good for USU to end the non-conference drama, but it would be very very good for the Mountain West financially to add BYU. It overall would make the conference a lot stronger than it is today.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 13th, 2020, 6:54 pm

SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
I will NEVER, EVER understand why in hell there is such a fascination with adding those losers from provo to the Mountain West.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 10):
GUSReal Life AggieUSU78LKGatesvegasaggieusugoalie13usufan1flying_scotsman2.0OrangeCountyAggieaggieguy13

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » May 13th, 2020, 7:46 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 6:54 pm
SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
I will NEVER, EVER understand why in hell there is such a fascination with adding those losers from provo to the Mountain West.
Looking at it from only a financial perspective, then adding that school in happy (pills) valley would probably make sense. But you also have to look at it based on what follows at the other end. Considering all of the drama that follows that school along with the history of backstabbing, I think those two factors GREATLY outweigh adding the school to the conference.

The MWC is doing just fine without that school. If that school wants to come grovelling and seeking admission to our stellar conference, let them beg and we should make it as public as possible. At the same time, I doubt the member schools would be willing to give any deals for admission. Six months ago I might not have been as sure, but with the member schools at least expressing a disdain for the preferences given to Boise I would not expect any financial preferences be provided.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
aggies22

LKGates

Post by LKGates » May 13th, 2020, 9:03 pm

bwcrc wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 7:46 pm
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
Looking at it from only a financial perspective, then adding that school in happy (pills) valley would probably make sense. But you also have to look at it based on what follows at the other end. Considering all of the drama that follows that school along with the history of backstabbing, I think those two factors GREATLY outweigh adding the school to the conference.

The MWC is doing just fine without that school. If that school wants to come grovelling and seeking admission to our stellar conference, let them beg and we should make it as public as possible. At the same time, I doubt the member schools would be willing to give any deals for admission. Six months ago I might not have been as sure, but with the member schools at least expressing a disdain for the preferences given to Boise I would not expect any financial preferences be provided.
Aggies22 and bwcrc, amen, brothers! Even if we wanted them, they don't want us. They would insist on concessions that would make Boise blush (rumor has it, that was what kept them out of the Big 12 the first time), that we would refuse to make. This would be a marriage made in hell.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 3):
USU78aggies22bwcrc

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

SLB

Post by SLB » May 13th, 2020, 9:27 pm

aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
It would be fun. Imagine beating them twice in a season, it is worth it.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 13th, 2020, 10:29 pm

SLB wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 9:27 pm
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
I'm not sure if you are joking or not? Perhaps you are not aware of the history that school has of breaking up conferences in order to serve their best interests. That history goes back decades. This thing is MUCH bigger than wins and losses. This is about trying to keep an enemy institution at arm's length because they spent years trying to kill our program.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

2004AG

Re: MWC question will this impact SDSU and SJSU and Fresno State

Post by 2004AG » May 14th, 2020, 5:45 am

aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
I'm not sure if you are joking or not? Perhaps you are not aware of the history that school has of breaking up conferences in order to serve their best interests. That history goes back decades. This thing is MUCH bigger than wins and losses. This is about trying to keep an enemy institution at arm's length because they spent years trying to kill our program.
I’ll share my monthly take.

They will always do what’s best for them......as a member of the MW and/or as an independent.

So because their conference status doesn’t change anything, I would like them as a member because it strengthens the conference. If my choices are nmsu and BYU, it’s a no brainer.

Now, I hate BYU as bad as you all do. The difference is I want what’s best for Utah State, and they would strengthen the conference in both football and basketball unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 14th, 2020, 7:27 am

2004AG wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 5:45 am
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:

They will always do what’s best for them......as a member of the MW and/or as an independent.

So because their conference status doesn’t change anything, I would like them as a member because it strengthens the conference. If my choices are nmsu and BYU, it’s a no brainer.

Now, I hate BYU as bad as you all do. The difference is I want what’s best for Utah State, and they would strengthen the conference in both football and basketball unfortunately.

But history tells us that byu has NEVER done what's best for Utah State. It's only been within the last 5 to 10 years that they've been forced to adjust their scheduling with us. They still thought they deserved 3-for-1 or 2-for-1 game contracts. Why would things between two schools change now?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 14th, 2020, 8:04 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 7:27 am
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:

But history tells us that byu has NEVER done what's best for Utah State. It's only been within the last 5 to 10 years that they've been forced to adjust their scheduling with us. They still thought they deserved 3-for-1 or 2-for-1 game contracts. Why would things between two schools change now?
Nothing would change. byu has never and would never do what's best for Utah State. I wouldn't expect them to all of a sudden look out for us a member of the MW. That's not why I think it would be great if they joined the MW.

The big problem in all of this is byu brings quality sports programs and lots of eyeballs. Until that changes, they will always bring the most to the table. Imagine getting rid of SJSU and bringing in byu. Or, do you want NMSU and their 3,000 football fans in attendance or byu's 65,000? What team would put us at the same level (or better), than the AAC? byu or UTEP, Montana, or NMSU?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 14th, 2020, 8:35 am

2004AG wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 8:04 am
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:

Nothing would change. byu has never and would never do what's best for Utah State. I wouldn't expect them to all of a sudden look out for us a member of the MW. That's not why I think it would be great if they joined the MW.

The big problem in all of this is byu brings quality sports programs and lots of eyeballs. Until that changes, they will always bring the most to the table. Imagine getting rid of SJSU and bringing in byu. Or, do you want NMSU and their 3,000 football fans in attendance or byu's 65,000? What team would put us at the same level (or better), than the AAC? byu or UTEP, Montana, or NMSU?
Because of what I perceive as an East Coast bias among the powers that be when it comes to major college football and hoops, I don't think the Mountain West will ever be thought of as being greater than or equal to the AAC. Since I feel our conference as a whole would get slighted anyway, I would rather add a school that WON'T kick us in the a$$ every chance they get. It's bad enough that we are in the same State.

Believe me my Aggie brother, I understand your point of view and IF, IF it were just about numbers and money the addition would make all the sense in the world. However, there is just too much BAD history between the two schools and it's ALWAYS been Utah State that gets the shaft.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
2004AGUSU78

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 14th, 2020, 9:13 am

Because of what I perceive as an East Coast bias among the powers that be when it comes to major college football and hoops, I don't think the Mountain West will ever be thought of as being greater than or equal to the AAC. Since I feel our conference as a whole would get slighted anyway, I would rather add a school that WON'T kick us in the a$$ every chance they get. It's bad enough that we are in the same State.

Believe me my Aggie brother, I understand your point of view and IF, IF it were just about numbers and money the addition would make all the sense in the world. However, there is just too much BAD history between the two schools and it's ALWAYS been Utah State that gets the shaft.

Fair enough. I'm a numbers guy, (graduated in accounting from Utah State) so I tend to look at things from a money sense. Trust me, I've lived in Utah County almost my entire life, so I understand the emotional angle too. They are all jerks and I hate everything about byu, but I want more respect, more money, better conference and more prestige for Utah State, and as bad as it pains me to say, byu helps in those regards.

:cheers:
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » May 14th, 2020, 9:23 am

2004AG wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 9:13 am

Fair enough. I'm a numbers guy, (graduated in accounting from Utah State) so I tend to look at things from a money sense. Trust me, I've lived in Utah County almost my entire life, so I understand the emotional angle too. They are all jerks and I hate everything about byu, but I want more respect, more money, better conference and more prestige for Utah State, and as bad as it pains me to say, byu helps in those regards.

:cheers:
I look at from a numbers angle too, and I have been Utah State fan since the time the Aggies beat Toledo in the Tater Bowl. I view from that we can have another team on the schedule in non-conference play, and I grown to dislike Utah more than BYU in sports with the whole scheduling thing and the poaching thing.
Last edited by SLB on May 14th, 2020, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 14th, 2020, 9:41 am

aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
This comes up all the time and I'll give my regular take. I agree with SLB and 2004Aggie that it would be beneficial to have byu in the conference.

I'll add my standard take. You don't have to like the teams in your conference. In fact it is more fun if you don't. They are your competition who you work 12 months a year to get better than and beat. The fact that we don't like byu is not a good reason to not have them in the conference, but a good reason why it would be great to have them in and beat them with more on the line. Some on here try and downplay the byu game, but the reality is it is the game our fanbase as a whole cares the most about. That is why it is always sold out or close to sold out and students have camped out for the game. A game with this much passion should be played with more on the line. Having a hated rival in the spectrum every year with more on the line is only a positive. Having the football game to be guaranteed every year with more on the line is only a positive.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
2004AGSLB

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 14th, 2020, 9:57 am

I believe that Gabbs, Nevada (closest place to hell on earth that I have ever been to, and I grew up next door to Death Valley!) will freeze over before BYU ever returns to the MWC. Their self-absorbed ego (redundant?) would not allow that. I don't know that I care that much. Good arguments to be made on both sides. I just want college football to happen this year. What the crap are we supposed to do without football in the fall???? ARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!

ususports

Post by ususports » May 14th, 2020, 10:03 am

I am also in the camp of it would be beneficial if BYU were in our conference. As 2004AG has mentioned many times, nothing is stopping BYU right now as an independent from talking to Boise State and/or any other school currently in the MWC to see if they want to leave and join another conference. The only reason that a school would want to leave is if they can better their current situation, so if we can increase the value of the MWC, it actually reduces the chances that other schools leave. If a P5 conference offers any G5 school or BYU an invitation, they are gone no matter what, and if BYU were to get an invitation, another school is going to get poached to go with them whether BYU is independent or a member of our conference. Might as well reap the benefits as long as it can last. I realize that this is all hypothetical and will never happen, but for the sake of argument, it would benefit UTAH STATE if BYU were to join the MWC.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
2004AGSLB

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 14th, 2020, 10:57 am

I wonder what exactly is the upside for BYU should they return to the MW. Maybe they would value a football only membership to make scheduling easier though they would likely take a tv revenue cut. If they were replacing SJSU some school would have to shift to the West. The MW could place BYU out west but that means they wouldn't get a game with BSU or USU every year. They would get Hawaii which would help with their recruiting there.

OLY sports travel in the MW is a bit tougher overall than nice easy direct flights from SLC to mostly big airports in big cities. No real need to charter planes.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 14th, 2020, 12:18 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
Screw BYU! I Want GONZAGA!!!
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
aggies22

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 14th, 2020, 4:04 pm

2020 will be known as the lost year - we lost everything and many people. 😞

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » May 14th, 2020, 6:20 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:18 pm
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
Just imagine if both BYU and Gonzaga were to join for Basketball. The conference would be loaded.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 14th, 2020, 6:28 pm

California is going to be challenged on a lot of the long-term closure stuff they're doing right now. We'll see if it holds up. If the rest of the country is mostly functioning in a semi-normal way by mid-July without a rebound of the virus, then it will be hard to justify these blanket closure- and quarantine-type mandates.

Lots of time left between now and August for things to play out.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 14th, 2020, 7:31 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:18 pm
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:
I really wish Gonzaga would have joined the MW when it appeared like it was a possibility.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » May 14th, 2020, 8:30 pm

ususports wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 10:03 am
I am also in the camp of it would be beneficial if BYU were in our conference. As 2004AG has mentioned many times, nothing is stopping BYU right now as an independent from talking to Boise State and/or any other school currently in the MWC to see if they want to leave and join another conference. The only reason that a school would want to leave is if they can better their current situation, so if we can increase the value of the MWC, it actually reduces the chances that other schools leave. If a P5 conference offers any G5 school or BYU an invitation, they are gone no matter what, and if BYU were to get an invitation, another school is going to get poached to go with them whether BYU is independent or a member of our conference. Might as well reap the benefits as long as it can last. I realize that this is all hypothetical and will never happen, but for the sake of argument, it would benefit UTAH STATE if BYU were to join the MWC.
While we should keep our friends close and our enemies closer, is keeping ybu closer really necessary when it does not have any other friends? Does adding ybu really increase the likelihood of the MWC landing a team in a NY6 game or consistently getting a third or fourth team into March Madness? I doubt it. Would adding ybu really move the needle on the TV contract money? Again, I doubt it. Nor do I think it would do anything for national press coverage. For USU it would mean we essentially have a guaranteed sell out in football every-other-year and once a year in basketball. Overall I do not think there is enough monetary value by adding ybu that outweighs the drama and backstabbing.

There is little chance ybu would be able to convince another conference to take it as well as any team in the MWC. The travel distances and costs are too great for another conference to really consider it. While AAC conference officials might have kicked the tires with adding Boise this past year, I expect the vast majority of schools in the conference objected based on travel distances and costs.

And right now there is no chance that ybu is able to create a new conference. Outside of current MWC members, what other schools would make any sense in a new conference that would entice a MWC member to leave?

Looking down the road, the biggest potential threat to the MWC would be if the Big 12 implodes. But that is a big IF that would probably not happen until its current TV deals come up for renewal in a couple of years. More than likely though if the Big 12 implodes is that a couple of schools would head to the PAC12 and a couple others might make it into the B1G. I could then see the MWC, CUSA, and the AAC fighting over the remaining teams and ybu again left without a dance partner.

ususports

Post by ususports » May 14th, 2020, 8:57 pm

bwcrc wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 8:30 pm
ususports wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 10:03 am
While we should keep our friends close and our enemies closer, is keeping ybu closer really necessary when it does not have any other friends? Does adding ybu really increase the likelihood of the MWC landing a team in a NY6 game or consistently getting a third or fourth team into March Madness? I doubt it. Would adding ybu really move the needle on the TV contract money? Again, I doubt it. Nor do I think it would do anything for national press coverage. For USU it would mean we essentially have a guaranteed sell out in football every-other-year and once a year in basketball. Overall I do not think there is enough monetary value by adding ybu that outweighs the drama and backstabbing.

There is little chance ybu would be able to convince another conference to take it as well as any team in the MWC. The travel distances and costs are too great for another conference to really consider it. While AAC conference officials might have kicked the tires with adding Boise this past year, I expect the vast majority of schools in the conference objected based on travel distances and costs.

And right now there is no chance that ybu is able to create a new conference. Outside of current MWC members, what other schools would make any sense in a new conference that would entice a MWC member to leave?

Looking down the road, the biggest potential threat to the MWC would be if the Big 12 implodes. But that is a big IF that would probably not happen until its current TV deals come up for renewal in a couple of years. More than likely though if the Big 12 implodes is that a couple of schools would head to the PAC12 and a couple others might make it into the B1G. I could then see the MWC, CUSA, and the AAC fighting over the remaining teams and ybu again left without a dance partner.
The fact that ESPN made an original long term TV contract with BYU, but additionally, they recently renewed it for a second long term deal should be sufficient evidence that they would absolutely add value to the MWC TV deal.

The West Coast conference was a 1, with an occasional 2 bid league before BYU came along (and that was back in the day when mid-major conferences had an easier time getting at large NCAA tournament bids). This year that conference likely would have gotten 3 bids including BYU, so yes, I think they increase the potential for tournament bids.

Last, if no one else would take BYU and Boise State for travel reasons as you say, then we would have long term benefit to the value they would add to the MWC, so yes, it would be worth it.

I want it absolutely clear, I hate BYU at least as much as everyone on this board, but I don’t allow my hatred to cloud my vision of logic and common sense.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
2004AG

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 14th, 2020, 9:05 pm

Why would BYU want to give up what they have now?
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » May 14th, 2020, 9:53 pm

The California governor has lost his mind, college students 24 and younger have a better chance of being killed by lightning than dying of Covid. Hopefully Cooler heads prevail.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 14th, 2020, 11:42 pm

How much more money do you guys that are pro-byu think they will bring to the conference? And once it's sliced 12 to 14 ways, what's our cut? Is a couple of hundred grand a year worth adding a school that has intentionally hindered our growth for 50+ years?
Last edited by aggies22 on May 14th, 2020, 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » May 14th, 2020, 11:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
sstrasser wrote:

Screw Byu! Bring Gonzaga to the MWC and let the cougars rot on a vine.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » May 14th, 2020, 11:44 pm

With SDSU out I just wonder who is going to play us in the championship next year.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
aggies22

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 15th, 2020, 12:35 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:44 pm
With SDSU out I just wonder who is going to play us in the championship next year.
UNLV will be in the championship game. I'm calling it right now.

dogie

Post by dogie » May 15th, 2020, 7:00 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:42 pm
How much more money do you guys that are pro-byu think they will bring to the conference? And once it's sliced 12 to 14 ways, what's our cut? Is a couple of hundred grand a year worth adding a school that has intentionally hindered our growth for 50+ years?
I understand your point, but the premise of this thread is replacing SJSU with BYU. I’m with you in that I’m happy that USU is charting its own course in the MWC without BYU.

Locked Previous topicNext topic