New commit from Russia

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by aggies22 » June 23rd, 2020, 10:30 am

nvspuds wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 9:23 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:55 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:42 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm
dogie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:15 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
With this signing, most of the Aggies’ scholarship players are foreign, from Canada, Australia, Poland (2), Ukraine, Portugal and now Russia.

I wonder how many other D-1 schools have that many international players.
I love it! Why limit your recruiting to just the US (or Utah)? There are great players to be found all over the world, you'd be foolish to limit yourself.
At this point in time, I think the coaching staff is finding it easier to recruit elite international talent to Logan.
Serious question, is this just a personal observation, or is this at all concern inside program circles? By my count, Smith's crew has landed 3 American (scholarship) recruits (Anderson, Worster, Anthony) and 5 internationals (Queta, Zapala, Shulga, Vedischev, McChesney). You could count Ashworth as a re-recruit. Still a bit unusual.
Did Smith recruit a lot of international players at his last job?
In his 4 years at South Dakota, Coach Smith had 3 international players on his roster. That includes Aggie fan-favorite Adam Thoesby, who was not recruited by Coach Smith. The primary recruiting grounds for Coach Smith and his staff at South Dakota were Texas, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Colorado. This staff still heavily recruits Texas.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 23rd, 2020, 10:34 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:19 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
ususports wrote:
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
With this signing, most of the Aggies’ scholarship players are foreign, from Canada, Australia, Poland (2), Ukraine, Portugal and now Russia.

I love it! Why limit your recruiting to just the US (or Utah)? There are great players to be found all over the world, you'd be foolish to limit yourself.
At this point in time, I think the coaching staff is finding it easier to recruit elite international talent to Logan.
Serious question, is this just a personal observation, or is this at all concern inside program circles? By my count, Smith's crew has landed 3 American (scholarship) recruits (Anderson, Worster, Anthony) and 5 internationals (Queta, Zapala, Shulga, Vedischev, McChesney). You could count Ashworth as a re-recruit. Still a bit unusual.
At this point, it's just a personal observation. Not only is it difficult to sell in-state recruits on Logan Utah, I think it's tough to sell Logan Utah to kids period. When competing against beaches, bright lights, and much bigger cities (PAC-12 and Mountain West) for recruits, it can be tough. Logan isn't a sexy sell but if we continue to win, it will become easier to sell to kids who truly WANTS to win and win a lot. If a kid is looking for individual accolades and a good time, Logan will never be a good landing spot for a kid like that.

We'll see just how successful this dive into the international player pool is. On paper, it looks like a really good group. All the kids that play on the U19, U18 teams for the U.S. teams are all very high 3, 4, or 5-star guys. So, although it is difficult for me to get our international kids rated by my higher-ups, one could assume that all our signings are at least high 3-star recruits. They are part of the pool of kids that are the best in their age groups from their respective countries.

I do agree that our approach is unusual. However, take a look at our western state neighbors at Gonzaga and St. Mary's. They have used a very similar approach for years and it works very well for those schools. The jury is out on how well it is going to work at Utah State but the initial look is very promising in my opinion.
That is a very good post that speaks the truth about our recruiting problems.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 23rd, 2020, 10:46 am

oleblu111 wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:34 am
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
ususports wrote:

At this point, it's just a personal observation. Not only is it difficult to sell in-state recruits on Logan Utah, I think it's tough to sell Logan Utah to kids period. When competing against beaches, bright lights, and much bigger cities (PAC-12 and Mountain West) for recruits, it can be tough. Logan isn't a sexy sell but if we continue to win, it will become easier to sell to kids who truly WANTS to win and win a lot. If a kid is looking for individual accolades and a good time, Logan will never be a good landing spot for a kid like that.

We'll see just how successful this dive into the international player pool is. On paper, it looks like a really good group. All the kids that play on the U19, U18 teams for the U.S. teams are all very high 3, 4, or 5-star guys. So, although it is difficult for me to get our international kids rated by my higher-ups, one could assume that all our signings are at least high 3-star recruits. They are part of the pool of kids that are the best in their age groups from their respective countries.

I do agree that our approach is unusual. However, take a look at our western state neighbors at Gonzaga and St. Mary's. They have used a very similar approach for years and it works very well for those schools. The jury is out on how well it is going to work at Utah State but the initial look is very promising in my opinion.
I don't necessarily think it's a "problem", it's more like a hurdle that the current coaching staff appears to have been clever enough to overcome. Keep in mind, our coaching staff landed a group of players this promising WITHOUT being able to travel abroad and recruit these dudes in person. This was accomplished over the internet and by phone.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 23rd, 2020, 11:11 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:46 am
oleblu111 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
ususports wrote:

I don't necessarily think it's a "problem", it's more like a hurdle that the current coaching staff appears to have been clever enough to overcome. Keep in mind, our coaching staff landed a group of players this promising WITHOUT being able to travel abroad and recruit these dudes in person. This was accomplished over the internet and by phone.
I do believe Smith at least traveled at some point to visit Zapala last year. It seems that the coaches have really worked in developing relationships with these international early.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 23rd, 2020, 11:16 am

slcagg wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 11:11 am
aggies22 wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:46 am
oleblu111 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
ususports wrote:

I do believe Smith at least traveled at some point to visit Zapala last year. It seems that the coaches have really worked in developing relationships with these international early.
It's when they start bringing in a bunch of Thai players that you have to raise your eyebrow. Why so many "recruiting" trips to Thailand, one would ask.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 23rd, 2020, 12:23 pm

Culturally I can say that Ukraine, Poland and Russia are a perfect match, culturally, for northern Utah. These kids will fit right in without problems. It will even remind them of home and the mountains will provide added benefit that they didn't have before.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 23rd, 2020, 12:50 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 12:23 pm
Culturally I can say that Ukraine, Poland and Russia are a perfect match, culturally, for northern Utah. These kids will fit right in without problems. It will even remind them of home and the mountains will provide added benefit that they didn't have before.
We just need to get the front row guys to wear Adidas tracksuits and they'll never know the difference.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggieguy13

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 23rd, 2020, 4:05 pm

nvspuds wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
ususports wrote:

I believe that Fakira was also originally recruited for USD and was one of those Summit League recruits that ended up just being ships passing in the night or Knights.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
aggies22

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 23rd, 2020, 4:23 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:30 am
nvspuds wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
ususports wrote:

In his 4 years at South Dakota, Coach Smith had 3 international players on his roster. That includes Aggie fan-favorite Adam **Thoesberry (fixed it for you), who was not recruited by Coach Smith. The primary recruiting grounds for Coach Smith and his staff at South Dakota were Texas, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Colorado. This staff still heavily recruits Texas.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
aggies22

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » June 23rd, 2020, 4:28 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:Culturally I can say that Ukraine, Poland and Russia are a perfect match, culturally, for northern Utah. These kids will fit right in without problems. It will even remind them of home and the mountains will provide added benefit that they didn't have before.
Culturally or geographically?

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » June 23rd, 2020, 6:31 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:Besides English being the common language here, Russian is the other common language now. Ukrainians not only speak Ukrainian but also Russian. Obviously the kid from Russia speaks Russian. I also know that Kuba speaks Russian. I'm sure the other Polish kid speaks Russian too.

There could be a Russian speaking lineup on the court. Haha

As for the questions about political tension, it's not going to be a factor at all unless Shulga has lost a family member or close friend to the war and brings it up in conversation and the same is true for Vedischev.
The Russian Five worked well for the wings back in the 90s but they did have Sergei Fedorov!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 23rd, 2020, 7:45 pm

Gonzaga and SMC have had a lot of success with international players.

GUS

Post by GUS » June 23rd, 2020, 8:14 pm

I would say that Spokane was a pretty hard sell until Gonzaga started winning also. A couple more years of getting good seeds at the tournament and recruiting will get easier.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 23rd, 2020, 9:37 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 7:45 pm
These two keep being pointed out as the models of success but these programs achieved success because that international talent is/was mixed with elite athleticism (usually from the US). I still think we are missing that component and it is found on several other MWC squads...many of which aren't from teams located near beaches or glitzy lights and don't have near the basketball tradition, venue, or fan support that Aggies do.

There is no reason we should not be getting 1 or 2 high caliber US players given what this program has done over the past 20 years on the court, the privilege to play in the Spectrum, and having coach Smith.

If places like Fort Collins, Laradise, Reno, and even Albuquerque can land them with a bit of regularity then we should have no problem landing one occassionally in Logan.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » June 23rd, 2020, 10:02 pm

Aglicious wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 9:37 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
These two keep being pointed out as the models of success but these programs achieved success because that international talent is/was mixed with elite athleticism (usually from the US). I still think we are missing that component and it is found on several other MWC squads...many of which aren't from teams located near beaches or glitzy lights and don't have near the basketball tradition, venue, or fan support that Aggies do.

There is no reason we should not be getting 1 or 2 high caliber US players given what this program has done over the past 20 years on the court, the privilege to play in the Spectrum, and having coach Smith.

If places like Fort Collins, Laradise, Reno, and even Albuquerque can land them with a bit of regularity then we should have no problem landing one occassionally in Logan.
I don’t follow SMC very much but I don’t remember them having much elite athleticism. I feel like they don’t have that but find other ways to win without elite athleticism. ie system, patience, team defense, etc. Am I wrong?

Not saying I don’t want some elite athleticism at USU just think the staff has a focus on length which can make up for a lack of athleticism.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 23rd, 2020, 10:57 pm

nswaggie wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:02 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

I don’t follow SMC very much but I don’t remember them having much elite athleticism. I feel like they don’t have that but find other ways to win without elite athleticism. ie system, patience, team defense, etc. Am I wrong?

Not saying I don’t want some elite athleticism at USU just think the staff has a focus on length which can make up for a lack of athleticism.
Just this past season the Gaels were lead by Malik Fitts and Jordan Ford, I would consider that far more athletic than anything the Aggies had. Queta is probably the only player we have in the conversation.

I agree that coach Smith and company have put a premium on length and we seem to have a system (even if it is not as regimented as Stews) and we play with a "team" mentality. Perhaps having an elite athlete doesn't fit into what coach Smith is comfortable with from that team approach to the game. I just think at some point you have to have elite athletes if you want to make the next step as a program and compete at the tourney

We'll find out in the next few years if this heavy international approach works in the MWC. There is no more Merrill and the incredible fortune of having a Queta-type player fall in your lap is not going to happen every couple of years.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 24th, 2020, 2:37 am

But Gonzaga and SMC are private schools where basketball garners all the attention and money. Can’t be said for Utah State.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 24th, 2020, 5:55 am

Aglicious wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

What have we done over the past 20 years? For Stew’s last few years and the Duryea years we weren’t a good basketball team

How many national recruits are those schools getting? UNR had some recently and back when w we were in the WAC. How recruited was Nance Jr. out of Wyo?

The important thing is I believe we are doing better with recruiting.

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » June 24th, 2020, 7:48 am

Aglicious wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:57 pm
nswaggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Just this past season the Gaels were lead by Malik Fitts and Jordan Ford, I would consider that far more athletic than anything the Aggies had. Queta is probably the only player we have in the conversation.

I agree that coach Smith and company have put a premium on length and we seem to have a system (even if it is not as regimented as Stews) and we play with a "team" mentality. Perhaps having an elite athlete doesn't fit into what coach Smith is comfortable with from that team approach to the game. I just think at some point you have to have elite athletes if you want to make the next step as a program and compete at the tourney

We'll find out in the next few years if this heavy international approach works in the MWC. There is no more Merrill and the incredible fortune of having a Queta-type player fall in your lap is not going to happen every couple of years.
I don't know what metrics would be considered "elite", but Coach Smith has mentioned that Bairstow and Bean both have officially measured 40 inch verticals. Bean's "quick twitch" athleticism help him tremendously on the offensive glass. At the very least, they are both very good athletes. Queta's size and mobility put him in the good/very good athlete category as well IMO. We will see what Marco Anthony brings to the table, but several players have mentioned in interviews that he's a tank when he gets downhill. I don't think we're as far behind athletically as we believe. If you're assessing the incoming class, there are some athletic limitations there. They look very skilled, but maybe average athletically.
These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post:
slcagg

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 25th, 2020, 4:32 pm

aggies95 wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:48 am
Aglicious wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:57 pm
nswaggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

I don't know what metrics would be considered "elite", but Coach Smith has mentioned that Bairstow and Bean both have officially measured 40 inch verticals. Bean's "quick twitch" athleticism help him tremendously on the offensive glass. At the very least, they are both very good athletes. Queta's size and mobility put him in the good/very good athlete category as well IMO. We will see what Marco Anthony brings to the table, but several players have mentioned in interviews that he's a tank when he gets downhill. I don't think we're as far behind athletically as we believe. If you're assessing the incoming class, there are some athletic limitations there. They look very skilled, but maybe average athletically.
Before we all start to spout about how great the basketball program is keep in mind that we have not won a game in the NCAA tournament since 2001, that is a long time, also Logan is a very small city with a nearly all white population it is not all that easy to get elite players to come here, you need to find the right fit.

We seem to be doing excellent with coach Smith with back to back titles. I believe we had a shot at a NCAA win this past season. We are very lucky to have him here. I do not believe this last team had elite athlete's and they seemed to do ok.

Locked Previous topicNext topic