Utah State basketball to change program name

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 21st, 2020, 11:32 pm

Starting this season we are the United Nations Aggies.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
aggies22Real Life AggieBLUERUFiO

MetsJetsAggies

Re: Utah State basketball to change program name

Post by MetsJetsAggies » June 22nd, 2020, 4:09 am

At least most of these international guys won't have problems with Logan winters
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttReal Life Aggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 22nd, 2020, 3:10 pm

I know we are all probably in the same boat with our trust level of Smith and his staff but does anyone else have a little reservation about how heavily the program has suddenly turned to the international scene? and it seems to have the appearance of coming at the expense of not establishing great local ties? Maybe I am wrong and Smith and Co. have been working the local scene over just as hard but local talent hasn't been very good the past couple of years?

I think when you bring in an outsider as coach, local recruiting is not always top priority because it is not something they are comfortable or familiar with but many of the top players in our program's history are local kids. I just hope that we are not neglecting local talent in exchange for the hopes of a foreign kid paying off. Queta's don't just fall into your lap every year, but it sort of feels like this staff was incredibly fortunate with 1 or maybe 2 guys from over seas and as a result have really shifted their focus there ever since.

Smith has a magnetic personality so I don't see why top local HS talent wouldn't want to play for him but we don't seem to be in the running for any of them since his arrival.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 22nd, 2020, 3:40 pm

Aglicious wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:10 pm
I know we are all probably in the same boat with our trust level of Smith and his staff but does anyone else have a little reservation about how heavily the program has suddenly turned to the international scene? and it seems to have the appearance of coming at the expense of not establishing great local ties? Maybe I am wrong and Smith and Co. have been working the local scene over just as hard but local talent hasn't been very good the past couple of years?

I think when you bring in an outsider as coach, local recruiting is not always top priority because it is not something they are comfortable or familiar with but many of the top players in our program's history are local kids. I just hope that we are not neglecting local talent in exchange for the hopes of a foreign kid paying off. Queta's don't just fall into your lap every year, but it sort of feels like this staff was incredibly fortunate with 1 or maybe 2 guys from over seas and as a result have really shifted their focus there ever since.

Smith has a magnetic personality so I don't see why top local HS talent wouldn't want to play for him but we don't seem to be in the running for any of them since his arrival.
I know 22 has called out a number of times that we're looking at local talent, they're just going elsewhere and we aren't going to recruit players who aren't as good just because they're in the proximity.

I'd love it if great, local guys came here. But just because we want them to doesn't mean they will, a la Rylan Jones. I trust in Smith that he is building the best program that he can. However, I'm not terribly concerned about local guys. If they don't want to come, find someone else. :)
Last edited by Real Life Aggie on June 22nd, 2020, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22sstrasser

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 3:44 pm

Aglicious wrote:

Who cares about recruiting local players? Bring in the best talent you can from wherever you can find them, period. If they play hard and embrace the community, our fans will welcome them in until they become "locals."

On the flip side, if we keep winning and make postseason runs, the best local talent will strive to play here but will still have to fight for that spot vs. the national/international player we're recruiting.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionsstrasser

tinplater

Post by tinplater » June 22nd, 2020, 3:47 pm

To me it is all about getting good student athletes and I don't care where they come from. Now the guys that have to broadcast the games may feel differently......
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post (total 2):
OrangeCountyAggieReal Life Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 22nd, 2020, 3:49 pm

Aglicious wrote:

The fact of the matter is, we've only been a winning program for two seasons. There isn't one kid that is not named Merrill that gives a damn what we did in the '90s and 2000s. As I've said before, regardless of how poorly they've played, the PAC-12 is the PAC-12, and if utah comes calling, local kids listen. byu kids grow up byu kids and they are near impossible to lure away. Although this coaching staff has done its best to recruit in-state kids. As we continue to produce winning seasons, you'll see more interest in our program from not only the top tier local kids but top tier kids in general. We could bring in a kid from Mars for all I care. As long as the kid is academically eligible and can get a visa to get here, I don't give a damn where we get our recruits from.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 8):
Real Life AggieAggieFBObsessionDkdavisAggie19BustaMcNuttaggieguy13sstrasserMetsJetsAggies

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 22nd, 2020, 4:07 pm

Obviously if Smith doesn't go after a local player that turns out to be great somewhere else that will be worthy of criticism. In general though, he should get the best players he can find. I believe Smith is trying to get the best players he can and if he does that, I don't care where they come from.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
aggies22OrangeCountyAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 22nd, 2020, 4:25 pm

Good responses, to be clear I am not complaining about the direction we have gone I just hope we don't neglect the pursuit of local guys while suffering through more Ben Fakira's brought in from over seas in hopes of hitting the lottery with someone like Queta. I agree we should get the best talent we can and I hope the guys we have turn out to be able to play at this level.

On the flip side, I really don't want a roster full of local guys either if they aren't MWC level players - I am just looking for balance and we seem to be going a little European heavy at the moment.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
aggies22

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 22nd, 2020, 4:37 pm

Aglicious wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:25 pm
Good responses, to be clear I am not complaining about the direction we have gone I just hope we don't neglect the pursuit of local guys while suffering through more Ben Fakira's brought in from over seas in hopes of hitting the lottery with someone like Queta. I agree we should get the best talent we can and I hope the guys we have turn out to be able to play at this level.

On the flip side, I really don't want a roster full of local guys either if they aren't MWC level players - I am just looking for balance and we seem to be going a little European heavy at the moment.
I remember many more people being excited about Fakira than Queta when they committed (myself included).

oleblu111

Post by oleblu111 » June 22nd, 2020, 5:01 pm

Aglicious wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:25 pm

Have you ever thought why would not Smith recruit local players if they were the best he could get ? Of course he would take them if that were the case, After YBU and Utah make their picks there is not a hell of a lot left. We are number 3 in the pecking order in Utah.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
aggies22

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 22nd, 2020, 5:38 pm

Gonzaga developed the blue print for turning a smallish regional western US university into a national powerhouse. Before they became a top 10 program they were 3rd fiddle (maybe even 4th) in Washington...much akin to us. Here is a breakdown of their roster from last year:
Serbia
Lithuania
Russia
Mali
France (2)
Texas (3)
Washington (2)
Oregon (2)

Of course recruiting international players alone doesn’t mean they’ll pan out, but the Zags have shown that getting the right ones to mix with domestic talent is a key to their sustained success.

I think we have a great mix of Utah, domestic (non-Utah), and international players; very similar to Gonzaga. I think the level of international recruits Smith is pulling in now is pretty impressive and in most accounts superior to what we were bringing in the past. They are either highly rated, have P5 offers, or have performed well against high competition on the international stage.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 4):
aggies22Real Life Aggiesstrassercowcollege

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic