New basketball venue for usu

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: New basketball venue for usu

Post by brownjeans » September 3rd, 2020, 9:43 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 7:04 pm
Viejas and the Pit definitely both look like the types of venues we should be trying to replicate. Viejas has always intrigued me with the way they built it on their old football stadium without tearing the rest of the stadium down.

This hurts my OCD and my need to do things right.

If I lived close to this I might find myself there breaking and removing concrete as my fitness regimond.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 3rd, 2020, 10:03 am

This is one of the oddest sights I've seen. I just can't imagine an administrator actually approving this idea. Do they hold activities of any sort to utilize those bleachers that are now staring into a Colosseum-esque parking lot?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 3rd, 2020, 10:13 am

Just plant some trees and flowers.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 3rd, 2020, 10:21 am

Granted, that is the back of house. They decided that in order to have the entry from the street level on the front side be at the upper concourse they would build the arena within the old Aztec Bowl. The old concrete steps were left on each side at the rear to retain the grade and allow floor level access to the arena on the back side and provide a small staff parking lot. As odd as that side of the arena looks, it was a pretty creative idea to save some money and create a nice look from the street side while providing ground access below. I believe the old concrete bleachers had existing facilities underneath them too which were kept and tied into the arena at the lower levels.

Front entry.

These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Real Life Aggie

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » September 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

I kinda like that built into the old stadium. The Braves old new baseball stadium (Turner Field) turned the old old stadium grounds (Fulton County Stadium) into the parking lot and they left the back wall up. Was kinda a cool feature. Now of course they moved to the burbs and GA State turned Turner Field into their football stadium.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » September 3rd, 2020, 2:09 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 7:04 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 5:57 pm
I will give you a example of what a new arena should be like if you can go to the Viejas arena id San Diego that is close to what I would want.. I would have less seating perhaps 11,500 would be the max, and a few luxury boxes.

That place is noisy, and very hard for visiting teams to get a win.
Viejas and the Pit definitely both look like the types of venues we should be trying to replicate. Viejas has always intrigued me with the way they built it on their old football stadium without tearing the rest of the stadium down.

Looks to me like a UFO made an emergency landing.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » September 3rd, 2020, 2:47 pm

Athletic departments are being decimated, don’t think this is going to happen for a long time, which is fine with me as I love the Spectrum as is.
These users thanked the author Jjoey52 for the post:
AggiePT

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » September 6th, 2020, 11:06 pm

We were out of state when the Spectrum was opened but many family members who had been long-time Aggie ticket-holders remarked that the Spectrum crowd was very dull compared to the Nelson Field house - that people were almost afraid to make noise. That "problem" seemingly was overcome with time. My late father-in-law who had season tickets for FB and BB since 1923 almost stopped going to games in the new venues because of having to walk up hill to access same. i hope new venues will take into consideration the needs of the elderly.
These users thanked the author BobWilson for the post:
cdaAg

Locked Previous topicNext topic