Basket ball in a mucked up year

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
RIP

Basket ball in a mucked up year

Post by troutputz » August 7th, 2020, 12:09 am

Are we even going to have college basketball this year? I am doubtful!

2004AG

Re: Basket ball in a mucked up year

Post by 2004AG » August 7th, 2020, 6:30 am

troutputz wrote:Are we even going to have college basketball this year? I am doubtful!
No because the goal has changed to “zero cases” and that’s never going to happen. Basketball is even less likely than football because it take place indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 7th, 2020, 8:00 am

College basketball better be planning for this. Football has been a joke. The shutdown started in March. The fact that college football hasn't been able to put together a good plan to get the season going in almost 5 months is embarrassing.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
aggies22thegreendalegelfReal Life Aggie

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » August 7th, 2020, 8:57 am

Kind of hard to plan when the goalposts keep moving. Yesterday the Pennsylvania governor without any notice came out and "strongly" encouraged not having any high school sports until at least Jan. 1. The state high school athletic association has been planning for weeks on how to move forward with sports and had released a plan only to be blindsided by the governor.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 7th, 2020, 9:18 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 8:00 am
College basketball better be planning for this. Football has been a joke. The shutdown started in March. The fact that college football hasn't been able to put together a good plan to get the season going in almost 5 months is embarrassing.
Basketball also has the benefit of being a much smaller group to try and keep healthy. They have the negative of multiple games a week. I think conference only is fairly likely and could allow them to spread the games out more.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » August 7th, 2020, 10:14 am

They should have plans, and I don't doubt that they do. I haven't heard anything, but we don't often hear about their planning until the announce everything in full (e.g. game schedules and opponents).

But also, yeah... the goalposts DO keep moving. Kinda like Bean said in his interview with Ajay, things are changing daily. I hope that even if they do go to the extreme of banning spectators, they can still continue with the games. I want this selfishly, because I want to see us play, but also for the players themselves. I worry about the effect of not having Spectrum magic and fervor, but, that's life right now. Hopefully the smaller groups help with minimizing infection risk.

GUS

Post by GUS » August 7th, 2020, 3:51 pm

I have resigned myself to a screwed up football season, but I hope like crazy basketball will carry-on. I don't know if it's not seeing USU getting to play its NCAA tournament game or what, but I am really ready for the next basketball season.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post (total 5):
slcaggsstrasserReal Life Aggieaggies22MrBiggle

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 8th, 2020, 10:05 am

If they do I don't think It'll be on time. I think they'll start in January with conference only.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » August 8th, 2020, 12:11 pm

I don't know why people think that delaying things will make it better. Unless there is a vaccine, January will probably be worse than October.

USU keeps emailing me to renew my season tickets,.Why would I? We don't even know if there is going to be a season.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post (total 2):
aggies22MrBiggle

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 8th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 12:11 pm
I don't know why people think that delaying things will make it better. Unless there is a vaccine, January will probably be worse than October.

USU keeps emailing me to renew my season tickets,.Why would I? We don't even know if there is going to be a season.
Yep.

Eutaw St. Aggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 8th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 12:11 pm

I will renew all my tickets, and my donation, because we are going to suffer a real blow to the budget, and I want to do my little share to make it as good as possible, if the seasons are canceled then I shall donate my purchase to the dept.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
slcaggGUS

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 8th, 2020, 9:10 pm

If school is online, I hope college basketball tries for a bubble concept like the NBA is doing, but at the conference level.

It’s about the only safe way to do sports right now.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 8th, 2020, 9:42 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 9:10 pm
If school is online, I hope college basketball tries for a bubble concept like the NBA is doing, but at the conference level.

It’s about the only safe way to do sports right now.
While I think that would be great. I just don’t know if most conferences have enough money to do something like that. Def not the same resources as the nba. But hey if they can make it work I’m all for it.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » August 8th, 2020, 11:05 pm

My guess with MAC cancelling until spring, there will be no football till at least spring and basketball is very much on life support. It makes no sense to have it unless burrs can be in the seats as TV revenue in the MWC isn’t enough to make it viable.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 9th, 2020, 10:23 am

Does this message board make my "burr" look fat?
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
sam tingey

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » August 9th, 2020, 10:26 am

nvspuds wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 10:23 am
Does this message board make my "burr" look fat?
Your burr makes your burr look fat.

Big Blue in a China Shop

Post by Big Blue in a China Shop » August 10th, 2020, 6:43 am

I like the bubble concept if there isn't a full season. And maybe it wouldn't be full conference play, but something like the NHL is doing right now with an extended conference championships with a round-robin to figure out seeding and then into the actual knock-out tournament. The good news is that we have a good location to do this with Vegas. I think the major and mid-major conferences wouldn't have a problem with this and most have a city to be able to do this with (or many cities like the PAC-12 with LA, SF, Phoenix, Denver, Portland, or Seattle). The question might be more about the smaller conferences. I think this would have a much better chance of happening than something similar with football. A lot less people to have to worry about.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 10th, 2020, 11:34 am

2004AG wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 6:30 am
troutputz wrote:Are we even going to have college basketball this year? I am doubtful!
No because the goal has changed to “zero cases” and that’s never going to happen. Basketball is even less likely than football because it take place indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey now, there's an idea, hold all BB games outside, and then social distance the fans in a place like this:

https://indianwellstennisgarden.com/

They have played BB games at this venue before (I love this place, my aunt used to get free tickets and access to a club suite every year).

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Locked Previous topicNext topic