Stew Morrill should coach a High School team

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Stew Morrill should coach a High School team

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 15th, 2020, 2:30 pm

He is great with X's and O's and a great motivator who most years got the most out of his talent level. It would also alleviate the pressure of coaching a D1 program. I think he'd do well.

Real Life Aggie

Re: Stew Morrill should coach a High School team

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 15th, 2020, 2:46 pm

I think he'd kill the HS students because he wouldn't put up with their (I can't express myself without swearing).

Some people are natural competitors. I'm not sure Stew would even be a good fit for coaching a little league team, haha. Too much drive (NEED) to win.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttaggies22

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 15th, 2020, 3:10 pm

He should become a TV or radio analyst.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 15th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 2:46 pm
I think he'd kill the HS students because he wouldn't put up with their (I can't express myself without swearing).

Some people are natural competitors. I'm not sure Stew would even be a good fit for coaching a little league team, haha. Too much drive (NEED) to win.
Yeah definitely not little league, but a motivated hard working high school team he would be good. Put him at Wasatch Academy or IMG Academy and he would be good. I could see him greatly taking a 14 year old and having that guy playing great ball by the time he was 18.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 15th, 2020, 3:35 pm

I'm quite sure that does not want to coach.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
AggiesForever

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 15th, 2020, 3:44 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 3:35 pm
I'm quite sure that does not want to coach.
Yeah he done. If he wanted a job he would have a job. I just giving my take that he would be a good high school coach. There have been a lot of great college coaches that started in high school. Rarely do they go back, but you do see guys like Jim Calhoun who was a national championship winner at Uconn now coach a D3 school kind of as a retirement gig with nonexistent pressure compared to Uconn. A guy like Stew who just wanted to focus on basketball would do well at that level.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » September 16th, 2020, 8:15 am

Stew is enjoying retirement in Windsor, CO. and having fun with grandkids and taking care of Vickie. I don't think coaching or analyzing games is on his event horizon.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
NVAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 17th, 2020, 7:29 am

Sounds like a great retirement gig. I'm happy for him.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 17th, 2020, 8:17 am

AggiesForever wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 8:15 am
Stew is enjoying retirement in Windsor, CO. and having fun with grandkids and taking care of Vickie. I don't think coaching or analyzing games is on his event horizon.
Sounds good. Definitely a beautiful place.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » September 17th, 2020, 1:04 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 3:10 pm
If Stew were to take up an analyst job he’d probably be like Johnny Miller’s golf commentator gig. He would not mince words. He wouldn’t be PC. He’d call out those that needed calling out. And he’d let loose with a few profanities. He’d last about two games.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 17th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Stew's got a radio face.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 17th, 2020, 1:39 pm

utaggies wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 1:04 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
If Stew were to take up an analyst job he’d probably be like Johnny Miller’s golf commentator gig. He would not mince words. He wouldn’t be PC. He’d call out those that needed calling out. And he’d let loose with a few profanities. He’d last about two games.
If don cherry can last almost 40 years as a commentator I think stew would be fine.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 17th, 2020, 6:02 pm

utaggies wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 1:04 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
He was great at filtering the way he talked and being politically correct at luncheons, as well as great at analyzing the games there. He would be too critical and emotional doing Aggie games, during games that aren't going well, or doing games that are on local networks where he is supposed to favor one side, but would be more suited for games on national networks where he is supposed to announce as a neutral party.

If CBS hired him, one thing they would have to do is go over with him and whoever he is paired with that one party thinks it's good for teams to test themselves by scheduling money games to test themselves, while the other likes to be stubborn about only doing home-homes, and neither one is going to change the other so they shouldn't argue. Or make sure he is given a partner on the same page as him about not scheduling tough. Or make sure he is never assigned games where mid-majors are playing P5 schools one and done, just games that are part of a home/home contracts between either pairs of mid-majors or pairs of P5 schools, and the conference play games.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 19th, 2020, 8:50 pm

If he wanted to get back into the game I think he’d be better off working with elite aau type teams.

Stew is a great coach. He has the talent and a lot to offer. But I don’t see him as willing to take on the responsibility.

I don’t know Utah as well or Colorado at all- but many states require head coaches to be teachers. Why would he become a teacher at a1/6th the pay he was making?

I also don’t really see him taking a more part time role as a consultant because he is too respected for toes not to get stepped on.

Lastly, no to coaching hs because hs athletics for sports like basketball and hockey are not where the elite athletes play their real competition.

The elite athletes play aau in part because a 6’5” kid in hs who could be playing center because he’s the tallest on the team and going up against 6’1” opponents and is better for the HS team- but it may not be best for the kid’s college/pro career.

I think AAU makes more sense if he even wants to continue coaching. At his age and status- he’d have to really love the game to want to get back in.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 19th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 8:50 pm
If he wanted to get back into the game I think he’d be better off working with elite aau type teams.

Stew is a great coach. He has the talent and a lot to offer. But I don’t see him as willing to take on the responsibility.

I don’t know Utah as well or Colorado at all- but many states require head coaches to be teachers. Why would he become a teacher at a1/6th the pay he was making?

I also don’t really see him taking a more part time role as a consultant because he is too respected for toes not to get stepped on.

Lastly, no to coaching hs because hs athletics for sports like basketball and hockey are not where the elite athletes play their real competition.

The elite athletes play aau in part because a 6’5” kid in hs who could be playing center because he’s the tallest on the team and going up against 6’1” opponents and is better for the HS team- but it may not be best for the kid’s college/pro career.

I think AAU makes more sense if he even wants to continue coaching. At his age and status- he’d have to really love the game to want to get back in.
I'd love to see Stew as an AAU coach. You are mostly right on High School basketball although schools like Wasatch Academy in Utah or Paul VI College Prep near where I live do play a national schedule against elite competition. The coaches at schools like these don't have to be teachers.

Locked Previous topicNext topic