I still believe that we will win

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 25th, 2020, 10:31 pm

Yes. We lost. Get over it. Bugs need to get worked out.

My thoughts. Strengths. Rollie is going to be much better than I thought. He should definitely start. Bairstow should start over Anthony right now. I'm not saying that Anthony isn't good enough to start, but he's got to get his head on straight. We need poise, defense and a lot of movement without the ball from him more than anything.

Miller played better than he had much of last season.

Anderson had an off night and so did Bean. But I think it's because of not getting offensive sets where they both thrive in the half court. I think Coach Smith needs to find a wrinkle in the full court press break. Can Anderson come in and handle the break? Anyone else that can find a wrinkle? Remember Shawn Daniels? Do we need to have Neemy standing at half court for a lob pass?

Ashworth showed promise. Also a pleasant surprise.

Rollie already reminds me of Sam as a freshman.

Where's our bench? Who will step up and fill some holes there? That's one of the biggest questions right now.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 5):
slcaggineptimusprimecdaAgNewUSUfanUSU78

slcagg

Re: I still believe that we will win

Post by slcagg » November 25th, 2020, 10:41 pm

This is a solid post. Thank you.

I was hoping to zapala tonight. Hoping we can see him and mcchesney at some point.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 25th, 2020, 10:45 pm

Solid takes. Lots of positives, but plenty to work on. We will improve.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ususports

Post by ususports » November 25th, 2020, 10:56 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 10:31 pm
Bairstow should start over Anthony right now.
He had some good plays, but just like last year, he plays so out of control. When he has the ball, I hold my breath and pray with all my might that he won't turn if over. It causes the same type of anxiety that everyone feels right before Miller shoots a 3. Your heart just sinks 100 miles underground, and every once in awhile, you are pleasantly surprised that something good came out of it. Unfortunately, it is rare though.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » November 25th, 2020, 11:06 pm

If anyone is still feeling down about tonight’s loss at least we have our football team to look forward to watching tomorrow.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post (total 2):
ineptimusprimeReal Life Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 25th, 2020, 11:12 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 11:06 pm
If anyone is still feeling down about tonight’s loss at least we have our football team to look forward to watching tomorrow.
Oh boy lucky us, happy thanksgiving to us.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
ineptimusprimeReal Life Aggie

Aggie75

Post by Aggie75 » November 25th, 2020, 11:19 pm

Normally this game wouldn't worry me, but their team was also full of freshmen and they lacked the overall experience I thought we had. We did not play well and I think tomorrow could be a repeat. We have a way to go.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 25th, 2020, 11:23 pm

Lots to work on but if we play 40 minutes of decent ball instead of 30 we likely win by 15. That’s the frustrating part of this one. Like was mentioned, we missed Sam as he would turn the tide of the sinking ship. Someone’s got to step up and do that. It may be Rollie.

Rollie is poised beyond his years and strong enough to get to the rim. Lots to feel good about with him.

Ashworth did ok. It was hard for him to handle VCU’s length and athleticism though. He’ll match up better in our next couple games.

Marco was a bit disappointing but hopefully he’ll grow into his expected role. He just seemed too tentative. He needs a breakout game to get his confidence. Hopefully that happens tomorrow.

I agree that Bairstow was a bit out of control but think he is one of our better options at this point.

Bean showed some nice touch around the bucket. Definitely not a knock down three point shooter yet. He will do better when we aren’t sped up so much and get some sets going.

Queta was a force but needs to let out his inner animal and throw down on top of some dudes....and hit the front end of his free throws.

I thought Miller did his role well. Hit 40% from 3 and even drove it in a few times and made good decisions. That’s what I feel his role is.

Fonz didn’t make any impact which was also disappointing because I expected him to be a big contributor on offense. Maybe he still will because we saw plenty of flashes last year.

Shulga missed on both his open 3’s but they were both in and out. He just needs more minutes.

Didn’t see Vedischev, Kuba, or Liam get any minutes. Isn’t Liam recovering from an injury?

Dorius did ok in limited minutes. We know what we have with him.

Zapala made a bucket but not enough time to get a read on him. He didn’t look overly athletic but has some skill.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionReal Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 26th, 2020, 12:16 am

As a consistent lamenter and fist-shaker towards Miller's play, I agree with the above. He filled exactly what we needed with that role, and I hope his performance continues. He made a bad pass or two, but he was aggressive in ways I hadn't seen him be before, esp. around the rim.

If this is representative of things to come, I'll be content.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » November 26th, 2020, 12:41 am

When I turned on the game, I only recognized Bean and Queta and Anderson. Lots of new guys, give them time to gel. I see a lot of potential.

Also, it seems like the majority of the team is underweight

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 26th, 2020, 12:42 am

The frustrating thing is not that we lost, but how we lost. USU controlled this game for 30 or so minutes. VCU had one returning player with significant experience. Their group of freshmen made shots and kept composure down the stretch and ours didn't. We should have had the poise but we got rattled. I hope they learn from this.

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 26th, 2020, 7:15 am

Rollie was really encouraging. He is going to challenge nick Blake at unlv for freshman of the year in my opinion.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionNewUSUfanReal Life Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 26th, 2020, 7:19 am

Yossarian wrote:
November 26th, 2020, 12:42 am
The frustrating thing is not that we lost, but how we lost. USU controlled this game for 30 or so minutes. VCU had one returning player with significant experience. Their group of freshmen made shots and kept composure down the stretch and ours didn't. We should have had the poise but we got rattled. I hope they learn from this.
It wasn’t their group of freshman. It was their experienced guys who won the game for them and our unraveling to the pressure. The kstate transfer really killed us. But I’d agree the way we lost was disappointing. However I feel that shows the potential of the team. We will be fine.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 26th, 2020, 7:50 am

slcagg wrote:
November 26th, 2020, 7:19 am
Yossarian wrote:
It wasn’t their group of freshman. It was their experienced guys who won the game for them and our unraveling to the pressure. The kstate transfer really killed us. But I’d agree the way we lost was disappointing. However I feel that shows the potential of the team. We will be fine.
Stockard is a good player I bet K-State wished they’d had yesterday against Drake.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 26th, 2020, 8:14 am

Keep in mind that this was our first live action, and for many, it was their first collegiate live action. There were no closed scrimmages, no Patsy exhibition games, etc. We'll be fine. The freshmen will get their sea legs, and everyone will settle into their role in the team.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 3):
cdaAgAggieFBObsessionReal Life Aggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 26th, 2020, 8:15 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 26th, 2020, 8:14 am
Keep in mind that this was our first live action, and for many, it was their first collegiate live action. There were no closed scrimmages, no Patsy exhibition games, etc. We'll be fine. The freshmen will get their sea legs, and everyone will settle into their role in the team.
I agree 100%. No reason to overreact. I think we got a serious stud in Rollie.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » November 26th, 2020, 8:47 am

slcagg wrote:
November 26th, 2020, 7:19 am
Yossarian wrote:
This. They had one freshman starter who scored 3 points. Three freshman came off the bench two played 9 minutes and the other 7. All 3 of them scored a total of 13 points. It wasn’t their freshman who won them the game. Utah State had plenty of moments like this last year when the wheels would fall off, but then Sam would just take over and calm the team down. This team is still looking for their leader, I think we will be fine. South Dakota and BYU will be tough games though.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Locked Previous topicNext topic