The truth is.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

The truth is.

Post by SLB » November 26th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Our freshmen are really good, and they have had a slow start due to the issues of the COVID-19.
Worster and Ashworth combine stats in this game 17 points 3 assists 3 rebounds 2 steals 1 TOs 4 PFs
Shula looks very raw, and Zapala looked good despite what the stats say (his first FT shot should be consider the worst FT in Aggie history). Below show a gif of that free throw
Brock Miller has improved, and Marco and Dorius are ok.
Bean and Queta are not having the same magic because they are trying too many different things, and Bean needs to go back to playing what he was doing before. The Bean as a wing experiment was a good idea, but Bean looks out of his element when being a 3.
Anderson is just a hot-cold player for whatever reason.
It feels like we are playing preseason basketball with everything that has happen, and we have had slow starts before usually with weaker teams. We are still trying to figure what our team.
South Dakota State played extremely well with some SC top 10 type plays on us in big moments that kept them going. South Dakota State was pretty much at West Virginia's level when they played each other.
Bairstow is not that good because of his lack of awareness (take Bairstow out then we have only 11 TOs in the game), and McChesney looks like that the hype was just hype.
Going forward we need more Ashworth and Worster playing together, and maybe we should have Marco play some forward. We need less minutes of Bairstow.

Real Life Aggie

Re: The truth is.

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm

McChesney has been limited on time, so I don't know that we can make the call on him. He had some good moments of defense with his length, and he did not play lazy.

Ashworth/Worster are high points for sure. I want to see more Shulga and Vedischev to get a better idea on them. Zapala absolutely seems like he'll be good. Young and made some mistakes, but I think he'll develop.

Miller did what I wanted him to do and then some, making some extra efforts that I did not anticipate. Not a big stat night for him, but the past 2 games were a good starting point. He's not relentlessly bombing bad threes, just a few and he handled them well. Stepped up defensively in a good way a couple of times. Marco lost his handle on the ball a few times and that disappointed me, but he had a couple of good 3s (which aren't his game, but I'm glad he got them).
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
mcaggie1

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » November 26th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Must have watched different game. Zapala seemed slow footed to me and is a project at best. Bairstow is still young but I think making better decisions than last year, yeah, he had one or two bad plays but I think he has made a step from last year. And to say Anthony looked good... don't know what to say about that. He did hit two threes, which I was pleasantly surprised but for a guy who is supposed to pick up the scoring load he hasn't. Also for a guy who is supposed to be able to get to the rim at will, he didn't, except for once when he threw up a wild shot. We really need someone to create offense and right now we have Queta and Worster is creating some but can't on every possession.

I will agree Bean is not himself. I think he exceeded expectations as a role player when the focus was on others. Today he has seemed to try and take on a the focal point and making poor shot selections for what I would like him to take. We need him to just be the energy guy with lots of rebounds and good defense.

But unfortunately to me the worst player on the floor tonight was Anderson. The last two games he has been beaten badly on the defensive end, his man always seems to get an uncontested layup or an uncontested three. After a while I decided to just pay attention to his defense and he is going for every ball fake and is out of position consistently. We will not win when the other team scores every time down the court when Anderson is in the game. His offense has not been good enough to counter his bad defense. I could understand the younger players who didn't get all summer but he played last year and is a senior, very disappointing.

Be patient my friends, the freshman will develop. Smith will adjust, the team will get more comfortable with each other and by the time of the MWC we will be a threat, we'll need a go to guy other than Queta for a chance to win the tourney but we will be a tough out.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 26th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
November 26th, 2020, 9:02 pm
Must have watched different game. Zapala seemed slow footed to me and is a project at best. Bairstow is still young but I think making better decisions than last year, yeah, he had one or two bad plays but I think he has made a step from last year. And to say Anthony looked good... don't know what to say about that. He did hit two threes, which I was pleasantly surprised but for a guy who is supposed to pick up the scoring load he hasn't. Also for a guy who is supposed to be able to get to the rim at will, he didn't, except for once when he threw up a wild shot. We really need someone to create offense and right now we have Queta and Worster is creating some but can't on every possession.

I will agree Bean is not himself. I think he exceeded expectations as a role player when the focus was on others. Today he has seemed to try and take on a the focal point and making poor shot selections for what I would like him to take. We need him to just be the energy guy with lots of rebounds and good defense.

But unfortunately to me the worst player on the floor tonight was Anderson. The last two games he has been beaten badly on the defensive end, his man always seems to get an uncontested layup or an uncontested three. After a while I decided to just pay attention to his defense and he is going for every ball fake and is out of position consistently. We will not win when the other team scores every time down the court when Anderson is in the game. His offense has not been good enough to counter his bad defense. I could understand the younger players who didn't get all summer but he played last year and is a senior, very disappointing.

Be patient my friends, the freshman will develop. Smith will adjust, the team will get more comfortable with each other and by the time of the MWC we will be a threat, we'll need a go to guy other than Queta for a chance to win the tourney but we will be a tough out.
Bairstow had 5 TOs, and Bairstow is currently for 2 seasons in a row number one in turnovers. We have beginning to turn a blind eye to Bairstow's unforced TOs even when it costs us a ton of points. We need more Ashworth and Worster out there. I would like to see Worster, Ashworth, Brock Miller, Anthony, Queta line-up out there. I would add that Bairstow should be moved to the forward position to avoid ball handling.
Zapala gets in the right place at the right time consistently.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 26th, 2020, 9:39 pm

I feel like we need to change up our combinations on the floor. Sometimes we have way too many players that can't shoot on the floor together. It results in bad spacing and makes us way too easy to defend.

Having said that, offense wasn't the problem tonight. We were lit up. Our D stunk.

bpd

Post by bpd » November 26th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Justin Bean=Role Player

He is not a go to guy, he plays better playing off other players. He can't create his own shot.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
MerrillForTheLead

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 26th, 2020, 10:23 pm

bpd wrote:
November 26th, 2020, 9:42 pm
Justin Bean=Role Player

He is not a go to guy, he plays better playing off other players. He can't create his own shot.
Not sure we have anyone that can create their own shot.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 27th, 2020, 7:31 am

Elkaggie wrote:
bpd wrote:
Justin Bean=Role Player

Rollie has far and away looked the best at that. A long way to go but he has the potential to be a Sam Merril/Jake toolson type player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 27th, 2020, 7:43 am

Usu0505 wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 7:31 am
Elkaggie wrote:
bpd wrote:
Justin Bean=Role Player

Rollie has far and away looked the best at that. A long way to go but he has the potential to be a Sam Merril/Jake toolson type player

If the thread were resurrected, you'd find I said this months ago.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 27th, 2020, 10:14 am

Rollie is very impressive and Ashworth looks very good. Imagine if we can keep these guys around for 3-4 years imagine what the guard line will look like after the learning curve.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 27th, 2020, 10:50 am

aggies22 wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 7:31 am
Elkaggie wrote:
bpd wrote:
Justin Bean=Role Player

If the thread were resurrected, you'd find I said this months ago.
I remember you saying that. It’s possible it’s because you said it but when I first saw his recruiting tape I thought he had the most potential. I didn’t think it would be right off the bat.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 27th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Bairstow should not be handling the ball or driving through traffic. He is a turnover a minute when he's in there. He's a poor man's Danny Berger. Maybe better at defense. Either way, don't give him the ball on the go.

Goyotes
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Goyotes » November 30th, 2020, 10:27 am

SLB wrote:
November 26th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Shula looks very raw, and Zapala looked good despite what the stats say (his first FT shot should be consider the worst FT in Aggie history). Below show a gif of that free throw
Does anyone have a video clip they can post of Zapalas FT against SDSU? I was trying to explain to my buddy how bad it was but I know he thinks I'm exaggerating.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 30th, 2020, 11:07 am

Goyotes wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 10:27 am
SLB wrote:
November 26th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Does anyone have a video clip they can post of Zapalas FT against SDSU? I was trying to explain to my buddy how bad it was but I know he thinks I'm exaggerating.
It looked similar to McChesney's three point shot attempt - if you can find that.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » November 30th, 2020, 1:46 pm

I didn't see either the free throw or 3 pt attempt, but assuming they were both along these lines.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 30th, 2020, 1:56 pm

bwcrc wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 1:46 pm
I didn't see either the free throw or 3 pt attempt, but assuming they were both along these lines.

Except that it was worse than that

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic