Next Game - What do we know?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 28th, 2020, 7:04 pm

So we host our next game next Saturday with the team that shall not be named. What do we know about them this year? Their game is on in about 20mins, I’ll probably catch a little to see what they’re like(I hate giving their games viewership ratings).

Initial scouting shows their 2 guards(Barcello and Averette) will do most of the shooting and both can hit the 3. Both are shorter and probably quick, I’m thinking similar game to Jordan Ford, that St. Mary’s guard or Malachi Flynn. With our recent struggles defending against the 3, this plays into their strength.

I think one of our 3pt defense problems is that we defend only the line but most of these players shoot well behind the line and we are not defending our that far. You need to push out to defend out there. That exposes you to the drive and dish but that plays into our strength. I’d rather take them going against Queta rather then hoping they’ll miss. That strategy hasn’t done well for us in the past.

They are not a tall team. They do have a center that’s 6’11” but doesn’t play much. Then it’s sole 6’9” forwards that will be the most threat in the post. We should have the advantage there but we saw how well that played into our favor against SDSU.

We made some good strides the last game but we are going to need more consistent offense to win this game. Can’t have long scoring droughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slcagg

Re: Next Game - What do we know?

Post by slcagg » November 28th, 2020, 7:55 pm

You forgot to mention their soon to be all american 2nd string big guy Purdue transfer.

Really they have some good pieces on that team. Barcello is going to be tough for us to guard but he is not the player (green) that we just played from northern Iowa.

We’ll need to play a good game to win but I think we have a fair shot.

I am trying to figure out how their uvu guard transfer is allowed at BYU with his long hair. Did they get rid of that rule down there?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 28th, 2020, 8:01 pm

We have to play strong ball defense on the 3. You cannot give up open looks and allow them to go on spurts of hitting 3-4, three point shots. I suspect we will want Anthony to guard Barcello. Queta will need to have a very big game, stay out of foul trouble and score 15-20. We will need to hit a good % from 3.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 28th, 2020, 8:01 pm

slcagg wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 7:55 pm
I am trying to figure out how their uvu guard transfer is allowed at BYU with his long hair. Did they get rid of that rule down there?
If I remember right, the main enforcement of the hair rules comes from the testing center. They won’t let you take your test unless you follow the hair code.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 28th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Huckers again. Can’t let them shoot So far, not our strong point. Need to play long distance D.

Mouthy tough guys like usual. Where do they keep finding punks.

The Woodbury kid for uvu is playing great.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 28th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Has anyone heard if they are going to allow fans? I am not seeing anything on the ticket website. I was hoping we would allow ~1500. Any home court advantage we can get would be good.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 28th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 8:20 pm
Has anyone heard if they are going to allow fans? I am not seeing anything on the ticket website. I was hoping we would allow ~1500. Any home court advantage we can get would be good.
Following the uni game scotty and Craig spoke about it. Craig made it sound like it might happen if I recall correctly but obviously he isn’t the decision maker on that.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 28th, 2020, 8:27 pm

slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Following the uni game scotty and Craig spoke about it. Craig made it sound like it might happen if I recall correctly but obviously he isn’t the decision maker on that.
Has anyone that paid for season tickets heard anything? I know they said if there was no season, the payment would be rolled over to the next season but I’ve heard nothing recently on any plans for this season.

GUS

Post by GUS » November 28th, 2020, 8:32 pm

byu looks beatable. Got to guard Barcello tight. He is their main scorer. Queta should have a good day in the middle. Not impressed with the kitty bigs.

ususports

Post by ususports » November 28th, 2020, 9:18 pm

scotlandog wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 8:27 pm
slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Has anyone that paid for season tickets heard anything? I know they said if there was no season, the payment would be rolled over to the next season but I’ve heard nothing recently on any plans for this season.

I don’t know if there will be fans allowed to the BYU game, but I asked the season ticket question, and I was told by someone in the ticket office that they will sell tickets game by game (just like football), and your season ticket payment will roll over to next year. I believe that decision is official.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 28th, 2020, 11:06 pm

I figure that I should point out something using the kenpom rankings.
We faced #69 VCU, #83 South Dakota State, and #85 UNI.
BYU faced #291 UVU, #317 UNO, and D2 Westminster.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 3):
aggies22Real Life Aggiemcaggie1

SLB

Post by SLB » November 28th, 2020, 11:08 pm

scotlandog wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 7:04 pm
So we host our next game next Saturday with the team that shall not be named. What do we know about them this year? Their game is on in about 20mins, I’ll probably catch a little to see what they’re like(I hate giving their games viewership ratings).

Initial scouting shows their 2 guards(Barcello and Averette) will do most of the shooting and both can hit the 3. Both are shorter and probably quick, I’m thinking similar game to Jordan Ford, that St. Mary’s guard or Malachi Flynn. With our recent struggles defending against the 3, this plays into their strength.

I think one of our 3pt defense problems is that we defend only the line but most of these players shoot well behind the line and we are not defending our that far. You need to push out to defend out there. That exposes you to the drive and dish but that plays into our strength. I’d rather take them going against Queta rather then hoping they’ll miss. That strategy hasn’t done well for us in the past.

They are not a tall team. They do have a center that’s 6’11” but doesn’t play much. Then it’s sole 6’9” forwards that will be the most threat in the post. We should have the advantage there but we saw how well that played into our favor against SDSU.

We made some good strides the last game but we are going to need more consistent offense to win this game. Can’t have long scoring droughts.

One of the two 6'9" players that you speak of tore his ACL.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 29th, 2020, 8:22 am

If Worster and Anthony defend well, we should be ok.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 3):
aggies22USU78Real Life Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 29th, 2020, 8:46 am

SLB wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 11:06 pm
I figure that I should point out something using the kenpom rankings.
We faced #69 VCU, #83 South Dakota State, and #85 UNI.
BYU faced #291 UVU, #317 UNO, and D2 Westminster.
Fantastic point my Aggie brother!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 29th, 2020, 10:23 am

I’m surprised we’re not trying to sneak another game in. Seems a bit weird to take more than a week off voluntarily with the COVID afoot and it being likely there are COVID cancellations later.

Idaho State has a break until 12/8. Maybe we try to squeeze them in?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 29th, 2020, 1:17 pm

SLB wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 11:08 pm
scotlandog wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Always a shame when "such a good young man" gets injured. KSL folks are strange.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 29th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Yossarian wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 1:17 pm
SLB wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 11:08 pm
Always a shame when "such a good young man" gets injured. KSL folks are strange.
Bless his heart.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 29th, 2020, 2:30 pm

I'm salty from many straight losses to BYU, but I don't expect a hoops win until I see it.

When was the last time we beat them? It's been 8 or 9 meetings, hasn't it?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 29th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Wish the Ags would play another game this week to keep tuned up. Is that a possibility? And Cougs still have plenty of size at center. What goes on in the paint of this game will heavily impact the outcome.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 29th, 2020, 2:51 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 2:30 pm
I'm salty from many straight losses to BYU, but I don't expect a hoops win until I see it.

2011, I think. I too am not holding my breath on a win.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » November 29th, 2020, 2:56 pm

After 3 tough games we have an abundance of film now that we can now use all of these practice days to correct and prep for the zoobs. I actually like that we have so much time to prepare. We need to win this game. I can’t stomach another loss to that bag of dorks.

These users thanked the author breadysmith for the post:
Full

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 29th, 2020, 2:57 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:If Worster and Anthony defend well, we should be ok.
What are the general thoughts so far for Worster on defense? I know we saw Anthony at first not put a lot of effort on defense but later showed he could defend Northern Iowa’s star guard. Do we feel Worster is there defensively? I believe he has the intelligence to anticipate the game and be in the right position but does he have the lateral speed to keep up with some small speedy guards?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 29th, 2020, 2:58 pm

ISU and Weber are both available this week.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » November 29th, 2020, 3:12 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 2:58 pm
Weber State canceled their game last night due to covid issues on their team. I see no way to schedule a game this week with them.

On the good news front, byu has games Tuesday and Thursday in Connecticut. Either they return on a red eye flight or they have no real prep time in Provo for USU. I am not confident that we’ll win but the logistics bode well enough for the Aggies.

Note: it will be their 4th game in 8 days with 2 cross country flights. That can’t help a team that uses their shooters so much.

So - not confident should not be perceived as hopeless. I believe that we will win. But I have felt that way several times since 2011.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 29th, 2020, 3:19 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
Heck I’d even play in Pocatello since fans aren’t a thing really and you’d have to pay Idaho state.

A game to gain confidence and work on different things would be good.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » November 29th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Just saw that Vanderbilt pulled out of the Connecticut tournament. Not sure of the impact that would have on the cougars. Hope they still go.

Major props to the Bad Boy organization for getting a full tournament in with no DII or NAIA teams.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 29th, 2020, 3:24 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 3:23 pm
Just saw that Vanderbilt pulled out of the Connecticut tournament. Not sure of the impact that would have on the cougars. Hope they still go.

Major props to the Bad Boy organization for getting a full tournament in with no DII or NAIA teams.
We should be watching for opportunities like this ourselves to go play.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » November 29th, 2020, 3:50 pm

slcagg wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 3:24 pm

There are restrictions since we have already played in an exempt tournament - one where all the games don’t count against your allowed total.

USU would need to look for cancellations of a single game like Dixie-Weber.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 29th, 2020, 3:59 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 3:50 pm
slcagg wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 3:24 pm

There are restrictions since we have already played in an exempt tournament - one where all the games don’t count against your allowed total.

USU would need to look for cancellations of a single game like Dixie-Weber.
I’m aware. However I wonder if there any exceptions this year? I believe West Virginia jumped into the jimmy v classic with 3 other teams.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 29th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Just for fun (and I sure hope I am not jinxing him)....Brock Miller’s 3 point average so far, is 45.5%.
Keep it going Brock!!!

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 29th, 2020, 6:57 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 3:12 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Weber State canceled their game last night due to covid issues on their team. I see no way to schedule a game this week with them.

On the good news front, byu has games Tuesday and Thursday in Connecticut. Either they return on a red eye flight or they have no real prep time in Provo for USU. I am not confident that we’ll win but the logistics bode well enough for the Aggies.

Note: it will be their 4th game in 8 days with 2 cross country flights. That can’t help a team that uses their shooters so much.

So - not confident should not be perceived as hopeless. I believe that we will win. But I have felt that way several times since 2011.
Agreed, and not without good reason. There's been several of those that we should have won.

bpd

Post by bpd » November 29th, 2020, 7:51 pm

We don't need to play this week, we need to practice to correct the many mistakes we made last week.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 29th, 2020, 7:53 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 2:51 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 29th, 2020, 8:45 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 7:53 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

I was a senior at USU that year and was at the game.

For context, I’ve gotten a law degree and practiced for 5 years in the time since we last beat BYU.

I don’t believe there’s been a year since 2011 where we had both a good team and a home game, which is the biggest reason for the drought in my mind.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 29th, 2020, 10:26 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 7:53 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. I was confused why I didn't recognize the game, but realized I missed this game because I was anxiously engaged in a different good cause.

Man, I know it's 9 years later, but I got hot during that stretch of $hitty calls by the refs. What a pile of **** those refs were. Like, was it Dave Hall and his clones? Never again will I complain to Verne about his calls.

Locked Previous topicNext topic