Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2299
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2443 times
Been thanked: 853 times

Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 5th, 2020, 10:35 pm

So, elephant in the room: it hurt to lose, esp. to BYU-Provo. However, a lot of people on the boards thought that we'd get blown out. Notably, we did not. It was a really close game, both teams fought hard, and we didn't have our head coach. Some of my thoughts from the game now that I've cooled down:

- Our defense was great. We locked down on D a number of times, from many of our players. We did a lot better on keeping them from shooting threes (my biggest fear after those games in South Dakota), and our players were active all game. I really look forward to more of this going forward.

- Marco Anthony was not billed as a great offensive player, but this is two games in a row where he's shown himself as an offensive weapon. Even if outliers, he's been great with movement, handles, and poise. Not a great FT shooter, but that's also something that we knew. Very excited about the role he's stepping into.

- Rollie Worster. Yeah, I've seen some people give him some (I can't express myself without swearing) about his % tonight, and that's fair. However, he's been collected, making big plays, and looking much better than he has any right to as a true freshman. Did he have a few bad plays? Yes. Is there a lot of room for improvement? Also yes. But Rollie's the real deal.

- Queta was great, though I wish he'd completed more of those hook shots. I'm not here to talk smack on Queta; he's the best player on the team, and the only reason this was such a contested game. He locked down the paint defensively, and there's a reason why we kept going to him possession after possession. Did BYU do a great job defending him? They sure did. Haarms is a great defensive player. But did Queta still have a killer night? His points and rebounds indicate yes. The biggest problem for Queta is there's not a constant threat besides him. We need to develop that.

- Queta again... Man, he had gas in the tank. They kept throwing player after player at him, and he battled through. Mostly, BYU is lucky they have a handful of really good bigs to throw at him. That was well coached and a great strategy.

- Bean had a tough offensive night, mostly due to the attention he was given. Lohner is a heck of a player, esp. for a freshman.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 4):
slcaggSpectrumMagicflying_scotsman2.0Aggie in Boise



slcagg
Posts: 6943
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1609 times
Been thanked: 1250 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by slcagg » December 5th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Very well said rla



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2299
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2443 times
Been thanked: 853 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 5th, 2020, 10:37 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Very well said rla
Thanks. I'm disappointed we lost, but I know we're only 4 games into the season. This was a tight game, but a big one in a lot of ways. We'll rebound back and look to make some noise when conference play is here.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3687
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 1170 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by ineptimusprime » December 5th, 2020, 10:40 pm

Not sure where the shooting is going to come from, but the effort was there.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Real Life Aggie



Aggie84025
Posts: 3574
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1250 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by Aggie84025 » December 5th, 2020, 10:43 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 10:35 pm
So, elephant in the room: it hurt to lose, esp. to BYU-Provo. However, a lot of people on the boards thought that we'd get blown out. Notably, we did not. It was a really close game, both teams fought hard, and we didn't have our head coach. Some of my thoughts from the game now that I've cooled down:

- Our defense was great. We locked down on D a number of times, from many of our players. We did a lot better on keeping them from shooting threes (my biggest fear after those games in South Dakota), and our players were active all game. I really look forward to more of this going forward.

- Marco Anthony was not billed as a great offensive player, but this is two games in a row where he's shown himself as an offensive weapon. Even if outliers, he's been great with movement, handles, and poise. Not a great FT shooter, but that's also something that we knew. Very excited about the role he's stepping into.

- Rollie Worster. Yeah, I've seen some people give him some (I can't express myself without swearing) about his % tonight, and that's fair. However, he's been collected, making big plays, and looking much better than he has any right to as a true freshman. Did he have a few bad plays? Yes. Is there a lot of room for improvement? Also yes. But Rollie's the real deal.

- Queta was great, though I wish he'd completed more of those hook shots. I'm not here to talk smack on Queta; he's the best player on the team, and the only reason this was such a contested game. He locked down the paint defensively, and there's a reason why we kept going to him possession after possession. Did BYU do a great job defending him? They sure did. Haarms is a great defensive player. But did Queta still have a killer night? His points and rebounds indicate yes. The biggest problem for Queta is there's not a constant threat besides him. We need to develop that.

- Queta again... Man, he had gas in the tank. They kept throwing player after player at him, and he battled through. Mostly, BYU is lucky they have a handful of really good bigs to throw at him. That was well coached and a great strategy.

- Bean had a tough offensive night, mostly due to the attention he was given. Lohner is a heck of a player, esp. for a freshman.
great points. i love the fire and effort from the team tonight, they did not back down. we will get it together and be decent in conference.



Aggie19
Posts: 940
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 663 times
Been thanked: 516 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by Aggie19 » December 5th, 2020, 10:43 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 10:35 pm
So, elephant in the room: it hurt to lose, esp. to BYU-Provo. However, a lot of people on the boards thought that we'd get blown out. Notably, we did not. It was a really close game, both teams fought hard, and we didn't have our head coach. Some of my thoughts from the game now that I've cooled down:

- Our defense was great. We locked down on D a number of times, from many of our players. We did a lot better on keeping them from shooting threes (my biggest fear after those games in South Dakota), and our players were active all game. I really look forward to more of this going forward.

- Marco Anthony was not billed as a great offensive player, but this is two games in a row where he's shown himself as an offensive weapon. Even if outliers, he's been great with movement, handles, and poise. Not a great FT shooter, but that's also something that we knew. Very excited about the role he's stepping into.

- Rollie Worster. Yeah, I've seen some people give him some (I can't express myself without swearing) about his % tonight, and that's fair. However, he's been collected, making big plays, and looking much better than he has any right to as a true freshman. Did he have a few bad plays? Yes. Is there a lot of room for improvement? Also yes. But Rollie's the real deal.

- Queta was great, though I wish he'd completed more of those hook shots. I'm not here to talk smack on Queta; he's the best player on the team, and the only reason this was such a contested game. He locked down the paint defensively, and there's a reason why we kept going to him possession after possession. Did BYU do a great job defending him? They sure did. Haarms is a great defensive player. But did Queta still have a killer night? His points and rebounds indicate yes. The biggest problem for Queta is there's not a constant threat besides him. We need to develop that.

- Queta again... Man, he had gas in the tank. They kept throwing player after player at him, and he battled through. Mostly, BYU is lucky they have a handful of really good bigs to throw at him. That was well coached and a great strategy.

- Bean had a tough offensive night, mostly due to the attention he was given. Lohner is a heck of a player, esp. for a freshman.
Everytime he'd pop on the screen all I could think about was baby Hercules
Image


Go Aggies!

AggieFBObsession
Posts: 1120
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 1489 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by AggieFBObsession » December 5th, 2020, 11:08 pm

It's a coaching mistake to not play more of the bench on the home court. It's early in the season and the coaches should be finding out who's going to be in the rotation by how they're competing in the game. Regardless I still believe in this team. You can't give up early on a young team.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1720
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 386 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 5th, 2020, 11:17 pm

We’ll see more of the bench in the next couple games. Our starters are pretty established but need to figure out who is going to provide the depth. I was expecting to see some Shulga tonight but seems Bairstow got more of his minutes.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 699
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 6th, 2020, 12:21 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:17 pm
We’ll see more of the bench in the next couple games. Our starters are pretty established but need to figure out who is going to provide the depth. I was expecting to see some Shulga tonight but seems Bairstow got more of his minutes.
Bairstow, man, he needs to figure out his role and start being good at something. He shows flashes (at times) of being able to handle, drive to the rim, be a good defender and rebounder. But most of the time he looks timid and scattered. Sill, I'm glad to see him get more of Miller's minutes.

What's puzzling is with a few guys struggling, our coaching staff decided to shorten the rotation four games in, doing so without giving

Max Shulga
Szymon Zapala
Liam McChesney
Karson Stastny
Zahar Vedischev
Trevin Dorius or
Kuba Karwowski

the opportunity to show if they can contribute. And why do we have so many bigs on the roster if we're not going to play big? If this is going to be the rotation by the end of the season, then we have a lot of wasted scholarships.



SpectrumMagic
Posts: 681
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 7:57 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by SpectrumMagic » December 6th, 2020, 12:24 am

I thought Bairstow played a good 2nd half and didn’t force things and played good D. He has a good looking outside shot and just came up short on the 3 late. I hope he can build off the game and get confidence. His brother really came on his Junior and Senior year if I remember.
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post:
AggieFBObsession



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2299
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2443 times
Been thanked: 853 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 6th, 2020, 2:01 am

Bairstow's length was great on D. But, I believe I've mentioned a few times that I want to see more of Max/Zahar. I know they had limited practice time because they arrived late, but I hope that they'll break into rotation soon.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession



Yossarian
Posts: 4912
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 909 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by Yossarian » December 6th, 2020, 2:48 am

They called a foul on a rebound in Bairstow that should have been a foul on BYU. Bairstow had position and the Cougar came through him because Bairstow wasn't strong enough to hold him off. Then Bairstow got knocked down and in doing so grabbed at the other guy. Lack of toughness cost Bairstow a rebound and a foul.



Yossarian
Posts: 4912
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 909 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by Yossarian » December 6th, 2020, 2:50 am

The defense was good enough to win the game. The offense was bad enough to lose it.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
Real Life Aggie



AggieSox
Posts: 1018
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by AggieSox » December 6th, 2020, 8:05 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 2:50 am
The defense was good enough to win the game. The offense was bad enough to lose it.
Totally Agree. We had 2-3 wide open shots when the game was tied in the final 2-5 minutes and nobody could make a shot and 1/2 on Free throws by Anthony/Worster, on your home court in a instate game is not good enough.

Just feels like we don't have anyone who can step up and make a shot when it's needed. Even Queta got the ball thrown to him 3-5 feet from basket and was hoping he could just put it in the hoop and didn't happen.

That was a golden chance to get a win, Oh well. Impressed how well we played without Craig there.



DCAggie24
Posts: 13
Joined: November 7th, 2018, 6:34 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by DCAggie24 » December 6th, 2020, 1:00 pm

AggieSox wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 8:05 am
Yossarian wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 2:50 am
The defense was good enough to win the game. The offense was bad enough to lose it.
Totally Agree. We had 2-3 wide open shots when the game was tied in the final 2-5 minutes and nobody could make a shot and 1/2 on Free throws by Anthony/Worster, on your home court in a instate game is not good enough.

Just feels like we don't have anyone who can step up and make a shot when it's needed. Even Queta got the ball thrown to him 3-5 feet from basket and was hoping he could just put it in the hoop and didn't happen.

That was a golden chance to get a win, Oh well. Impressed how well we played without Craig there.

It stings because it was probably one of the weaker BYU teams we have played recently on paper. Hopefully it builds character, resiliency and propels the younger guys to new heights.



Yossarian
Posts: 4912
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 909 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by Yossarian » December 6th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Aggies scored 4 points in the final 4:53 if the game. Here are the final possessions in that time:

Anthony- 2 missed free throws
Bairstow - missed 3-point attempt
Worster- missed 3-point attempt
Queta - 1/2 free throws
Queta - missed layup
Worster - 2/2 free throws
Worster - missed jumper (offensive rebound)
Worster - 1/2 free throws
Worster - missed 3-point attempt
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
USU78



aggiesdotcom
Posts: 1816
Joined: January 21st, 2011, 8:56 am
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by aggiesdotcom » December 6th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 2:50 pm
Aggies scored 4 points in the final 4:53 if the game. Here are the final possessions in that time:

Anthony- 2 missed free throws
Bairstow - missed 3-point attempt
Worster- missed 3-point attempt
Queta - 1/2 free throws
Queta - missed layup
Worster - 2/2 free throws
Worster - missed jumper (offensive rebound)
Worster - 1/2 free throws
Worster - missed 3-point attempt
Yeah, no made FGs in the final 5 minutes of a close rivalry game isn't gonna get it done most of the time.



Yossarian
Posts: 4912
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 909 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by Yossarian » December 7th, 2020, 1:33 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Yossarian wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 2:50 pm
Aggies scored 4 points in the final 4:53 if the game. Here are the final possessions in that time:

Anthony- 2 missed free throws
Bairstow - missed 3-point attempt
Worster- missed 3-point attempt
Queta - 1/2 free throws
Queta - missed layup
Worster - 2/2 free throws
Worster - missed jumper (offensive rebound)
Worster - 1/2 free throws
Worster - missed 3-point attempt
Yeah, no made FGs in the final 5 minutes of a close rivalry game isn't gonna get it done most of the time.
The sad part - this is quickly not becoming a rivalry game. After 9 straight losses, it is becoming the equivalent of BYU playing SUU. It is an in-state game that has local interest, but the result is pretty much as most people expect. The "rivalry" aspect is only on one side. This must be addressed by USU coaches.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
Aggie in Boise



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 1120
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 1489 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by AggieFBObsession » December 7th, 2020, 4:31 pm

The Utah State coaches have made a mistake by not working Shulga into the rotation more. Why? Who else is going to consistently or potentially consistently knock down threes? Not Anthony. Not necessarily Miller. Not necessarily anyone else.



Dkdavis
Posts: 271
Joined: January 28th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 94 times

Re: Takeaways, after I took a few deep breaths

Post by Dkdavis » December 7th, 2020, 4:35 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:31 pm
The Utah State coaches have made a mistake by not working Shulga into the rotation more. Why? Who else is going to consistently or potentially consistently knock down threes? Not Anthony. Not necessarily Miller. Not necessarily anyone else.
I'm hoping they work him and ashworth in more the rest of the month since we don't have any real quality opponents besides maybe weber?
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
AggieFBObsession



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic