New Mexico/UNLV underperforming

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
flying_scotsman2.0

New Mexico/UNLV underperforming

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 7th, 2021, 7:04 am

So I get AF and SJSU sucking (granted, SJSU should theoretically be decent based on location), but what's up with New Mexico and UNLV? I like Weir as he's always seemed upstanding, but he's gotta be gone after this season, right? This might be the worst team he's put out, and the others haven't been great.

As for UNLV, I thought they'd breakout this year with some time for Otzelberger to get his staff and team in order. They look like they regressed. I'm sure he'll have a couple more years.

It really sucks to have these two teams in the mid-200's on NET.

slcagg

Re: New Mexico/UNLV underperforming

Post by slcagg » January 7th, 2021, 8:04 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 7:04 am
So I get AF and SJSU sucking (granted, SJSU should theoretically be decent based on location), but what's up with New Mexico and UNLV? I like Weir as he's always seemed upstanding, but he's gotta be gone after this season, right? This might be the worst team he's put out, and the others haven't been great.

As for UNLV, I thought they'd breakout this year with some time for Otzelberger to get his staff and team in order. They look like they regressed. I'm sure he'll have a couple more years.

It really sucks to have these two teams in the mid-200's on NET.
Totally agree. Really hurts the conference not only from a numbers standpoint but also a national perception standpoint when these teams are not good. If they are good they can really elevate the perception throughout the country (especially UNLV).

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » January 7th, 2021, 8:11 am

I kinda hope Weir gets one more year. After hearing how hard their Covid season has been it’s no wonder they suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » January 7th, 2021, 8:40 am

New Mexico plays really hard and they give a lot of effort. I was impressed with their team last night. They really get after the ball and the rebounds.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 7th, 2021, 8:52 am

Coach Weir seems like an excellent individual. I hope he has more success.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 7th, 2021, 9:17 am

New Mexico is a revolving door of talented players that play hard but they seem to have no chemistry. This is their worst start in conference play since the 1950's. Weir may be a nice guy but he doesn't appear to be a very good coach. NMSU fans weren't all that sad to see him go after 1 year because they were already starting to see problems forming. He's really got to go.

UNLV is a team that I can't figure.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » January 7th, 2021, 9:21 am

RigAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 8:40 am
They really get after the ball and the rebounds.
They may look good in the short term, but they have no consistency along those lines. For example, with about 10 minutes left in the game UNM was ahead in rebounds - which is a stat that USU has dominated this year. I was thinking along these same lines that at least they rebound well.

But by the end of the game USU had won the RB battle by double digits. Why? Because (according to ESPN's play-by-play stats) after getting the rebound at 9:19 of the second half, UNM went more than 8 minutes (to the 1:08 point) while grabbing 1 (ONE!) rebound as a team (at 4:55).

That stat is almost more incredible than the single 2-point fg in the first half.

For reference, in those same 8 minutes both Shulga and Vedischev matched UNM's 1 rebound total.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 7th, 2021, 9:36 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 9:17 am
New Mexico is a revolving door of talented players that play hard but they seem to have no chemistry. This is their worst start in conference play since the 1950's. Weir may be a nice guy but he doesn't appear to be a very good coach. NMSU fans weren't all that sad to see him go after 1 year because they were already starting to see problems forming. He's really got to go.

Totally agree with your assessment of New Mexico. Athletes yes...basketball players, questionable...coaching very questionable. As far as UNLV goes, they haven't played since December 5, and on that date people probably couldn't figure out us out either. This week's CSU/UNLV series will maybe answer some questions.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 7th, 2021, 9:56 am

Bank Shot wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 9:36 am
ProvoAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 9:17 am

Totally agree with your assessment of New Mexico. Athletes yes...basketball players, questionable...coaching very questionable. As far as UNLV goes, they haven't played since December 5, and on that date people probably couldn't figure out us out either. This week's CSU/UNLV series will maybe answer some questions.
From what I read unlv hasn’t really been able to practice even into this week. If that is the case I don’t expect them to take a few weeks before we know what kind of team they are as well. Prior to the break I watched a half of their game and they looked lost on offense.

UStateTim
Has thanked: 0

Post by UStateTim » January 7th, 2021, 10:04 am

Those two squads have been affected the most by COVID, it seems. Whether it's a bunch of canceled games and limited practices or playing home games in a different state. That's a lot for any team. The broadcast last night mentioned New Mexico had their first practice Nov. 20. At least that's what I thought I heard.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 7th, 2021, 10:10 am

Yup, I agree. The pandemic has really negatively impacted those programs. They are in states that have locked down completely. It is very difficult to get all the new pieces moving in unison when you don't have practice time. I feel for them, but it is what it is.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 7th, 2021, 10:18 am

The pandemic has definitely had an effect on UNM but this year isn't the first that they've shown problems under Weir.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » January 7th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Seeing traditionally strong basketball programs like New Mexico and UNLV underperform so badly has been really bad for the conference. I really think we should/could be a consistent 3-bid conference league come tournament time.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 7th, 2021, 1:25 pm

The conference is a lot better in basketball when NM and UNLV are good. Hopefully they can get back to previous successes. NM seems to be really in the shambles, I know COVID has been difficult, but coaching is a huge part of their issues. They also seem to have a lot players with the same skill sets, but really struggle with shooting the ball effectively.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 7th, 2021, 2:19 pm

UNLV is an enigma to me. I can't figure out why they aren't consistently in the top 1/3 of the league in both football and basketball. I would think San Diego and Las Vegas would be the two easiest places to recruit to. The basketball Rebels always seem to get talent, they just can't play together and are undisciplined. How hard is it to find a coach that can teach Xs and Os to good players? The recruiting part of the job is a slam dunk. I get the impression there is not a lot of community support for the UNLV athletics programs. Is that what is holding them back? They have shown in the past that the community will support a winner (see early 90s UNLV MBB teams). I know that a good portion of the people that live in the greater LV area are emigrants from other parts of the U.S. and don't have UNLV loyalties, but I would imagine they would go and see a winning program play if they had one to watch. What is holding UNLV back?

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 7th, 2021, 2:42 pm

That’s because Utah State, Boise State, and Nevada and take it over there position along with San Diego State as MWC powers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic