Man, what a difference a week makes

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Man, what a difference a week makes

Post by ineptimusprime » January 25th, 2021, 9:16 pm

Flying high last week, to this....

That’s all. I’ve learned to keep my negative comments to myself when I am angry.

slcagg

Re: Man, what a difference a week makes

Post by slcagg » January 25th, 2021, 9:21 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:16 pm

That’s all. I’ve learned to keep my negative comments to myself when I am angry.
So I didn’t really get to see the game but only a few glances. Sounds like I got lucky tonight in that regard.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 25th, 2021, 9:23 pm

slcagg wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:21 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

So I didn’t really get to see the game but only a few glances. Sounds like I got lucky tonight in that regard.
You definitely did, unless you like seeing your team’s at large hopes getting cut into a thousand little pieces during what was quite possibly the most embarrassing 10-15 minutes of offensive basketball played by a D1 basketball team in NCAA history.

I just don’t understand how this team can go from the team that beat SDSU and CSU in game one to a team that was basically drooling all over itself tonight.

Craig Smith is an incredible coach, but man do things have a tendency to snowball sometimes with his teams.

apo

Post by apo » January 25th, 2021, 9:38 pm

We’ve gotten too cerebral. I liked our flow and intensity in the last minute/two minutes of our last two games. Our players just got into the zone and their shots started “magically” falling after being cold nearly all game.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 25th, 2021, 9:42 pm

The lack of ball movement and standing around by our players on O is painful to watch. We used to whip it around and everyone touched the ball at least once. This was more like the games in SD when we played hero ball and watched Anthony force drives every other possession. Having Anthony lead us in scoring is not a recipe for success.

It also look like our 2 Frosh PGs have fallen to earth.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

GUS

Post by GUS » January 25th, 2021, 9:48 pm

We're playing like we are in a funk. Slow, uninspired and with no confidence in our shots or defense.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » January 25th, 2021, 9:51 pm

GUS wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:48 pm
We're playing like we are in a funk. Slow, uninspired and with no confidence in our shots or defense.
Yes, they seem tired mentally and physically. I’m hoping for a good response Wednesday, it’s a must win. A long break follows, hopefully that will give them some time to rest and figure it out.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21Aglicious

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 26th, 2021, 10:46 am

Aglicious wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:42 pm
The lack of ball movement and standing around by our players on O is painful to watch. We used to whip it around and everyone touched the ball at least once. This was more like the games in SD when we played hero ball and watched Anthony force drives every other possession. Having Anthony lead us in scoring is not a recipe for success.

Remember when people were saying Bairstow could play point guard? Bouncing a ball and running at the same time do not suit him well.

Eutaw St. Aggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 26th, 2021, 11:46 am

Yossarian wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 10:46 am
Aglicious wrote:

Remember when people were saying Bairstow could play point guard? Bouncing a ball and running at the same time do not suit him well.
Bairstow's 2 fast break attempts reminded me of watching certain ward ball teammates that you did everything you could to get them a score in the last few minutes with a little cherry picking and it just wasn't happening... :bangwall:
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Yossarian

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 26th, 2021, 12:14 pm

At least we fell apart vs UNLV this year, and not Air Force. The total unraveling last year against Air Force was definitely worse than this.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 26th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 12:14 pm
At least we fell apart vs UNLV this year, and not Air Force. The total unraveling last year against Air Force was definitely worse than this.
We did BOTH last year.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 26th, 2021, 1:45 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 12:37 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 12:14 pm
We did BOTH last year.
Sure, but there's a difference losing against UNLV vs. Air Force, esp. last year. I'm just saying, at least we don't have a loss to one of the most terrible teams. We swept them, so, at least we won't have a Q4 loss.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 26th, 2021, 3:58 pm

GUS wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:48 pm
Show the team Rocky III before the game. EYE OF THE TIGER guys!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 26th, 2021, 4:00 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

Roller blades is the answer.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 26th, 2021, 4:44 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:23 pm
slcagg wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:21 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

You definitely did, unless you like seeing your team’s at large hopes getting cut into a thousand little pieces during what was quite possibly the most embarrassing 10-15 minutes of offensive basketball played by a D1 basketball team in NCAA history.

Seven minutes :lol:

Nobody here knows anything.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » January 26th, 2021, 5:25 pm

It was a sad game to watch. When things were going well for us it seemed like it was still bad. Man we have real issues finishing at the rim.

Made me miss Sam. I was always a little unimpressed with his drives to the hoop. He wasn't quick and couldn't really elevate. But man, he could finish. We REALLY miss that.

When will we be able to feed Queta the ball at the right time with a proper pass on a pick and roll? Or just when he's in position in the paint?

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 26th, 2021, 6:43 pm

We've been spoiled the last couple of years, and who knows we may still get spoiled, but there's a positive in either direction. If the Aggies do well enough to get into the tournament, then what a great year that will be, and what a way to overcome the kind of adversity we've gone through the last two games. Or if the Aggies are respectable and do well, but not well enough to get into the tournament, then maybe Craig Smith will be left alone and not get poached for now.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 27th, 2021, 12:17 pm

hickaggie wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 11:46 am
Yossarian wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

Bairstow's 2 fast break attempts reminded me of watching certain ward ball teammates that you did everything you could to get them a score in the last few minutes with a little cherry picking and it just wasn't happening... :bangwall:
UNLV had a guy miss a wide-open fast break dunk that would have put the game away. Then, that same guy ran four steps without dribbling for another wide-open dunk attempt that got wiped away by a traveling call in the waning minutes of the game. The sad thing is - they weren't the worst fast-break blunders of that game.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 27th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 12:17 pm
hickaggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

UNLV had a guy miss a wide-open fast break dunk that would have put the game away. Then, that same guy ran four steps without dribbling for another wide-open dunk attempt that got wiped away by a traveling call in the waning minutes of the game. The sad thing is - they weren't the worst fast-break blunders of that game.
I believe on StatCast it shows that the play you are referring to had a 72.4% chance of going in if said player had his back to the basket. Near perfect trajectory but just 180 degrees off.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » January 27th, 2021, 7:05 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 12:49 pm
Yossarian wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 12:17 pm
hickaggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

I believe on StatCast it shows that the play you are referring to had a 72.4% chance of going in if said player had his back to the basket. Near perfect trajectory but just 180 degrees off.
Listening to the post game with Scotty G and Coach Smith was a pretty good listen. He was just as flabbergasted about what happened on the offensive end as we were. What I found interesting is he said 2 upper classman ran the wrong play at the end and if we ran it correctly he felt we would have gotten an open look at a 3pt shot. I was not clear on if he meant the last 6 seconds after UNLV made FT or if that was during the 30 seconds prior when we took our time and could not get a shot off.

He also said they may need to look at adjusting the scheme or not being so complicated as his teams don't turn the ball over with the frequency that they have been and that cant continue. Brought up examples where there were two plays for Neemi where he was open and we did not pass it to him and the third time they ran it we made the pass but to the other team.

Locked Previous topicNext topic