Conference is wide open

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiealum13

Conference is wide open

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 27th, 2021, 10:56 pm

Very solid performance tonight. That was back to Aggie basketball. I wish we had the last game, but UNLV was a weird cat to begin with going into this series. After Boise State losing to Colorado State the way they did, I feel like the conference is wide open for the top 4. I feel we are in good shape if we play with the same consistency that we did tonight. Should be a fun February stretch.

SpectrumMagic

Re: Conference is wide open

Post by SpectrumMagic » January 27th, 2021, 11:12 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 10:56 pm
Very solid performance tonight. That was back to Aggie basketball. I wish we had the last game, but UNLV was a weird cat to begin with going into this series. After Boise State losing to Colorado State the way they did, I feel like the conference is wide open for the top 4. I feel we are in good shape if we play with the same consistency that we did tonight. Should be a fun February stretch.
CSU in good shape. After Boise toughest games are @ Wyoming and @ Nevada. I think BSU could end up 4th. SDSU may not lose another game.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 27th, 2021, 11:14 pm

Yep, our poor shooting on Monday hurt us. That was a game we should have had. If we take care of business the rest of the way against everyone but Boise and then split with Boise, we'll be the 1 seed and the regular season champ. Let's get it done!

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » January 27th, 2021, 11:16 pm

If we split @ Boise the worst we will finish is second. I agree that Boise will likely finish 4th.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 27th, 2021, 11:17 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 11:14 pm
Yep, our poor shooting on Monday hurt us. That was a game we should have had. If we take care of business the rest of the way against everyone but Boise and then split with Boise, we'll be the 1 seed and the regular season champ. Let's get it done!
What if csu sweeps Boise and wins out? Would think they would be number 1.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 27th, 2021, 11:20 pm

slcagg wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 11:17 pm
Yeah, my post was more of a prediction than a 100% accurate assessment. I believe if we finish with just one more loss, we'll be the 1 seed. You are right, that it isn't a certainty.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » January 27th, 2021, 11:21 pm

slcagg wrote:
They have 3 losses. If we split with Boise and win the other games, I believe we'd have the tie break with them.. Unless Boise does come in third over SDSU and they won both games at Boise and we'd only have split in this hypothetical scenario.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 27th, 2021, 11:22 pm

January 27th, 2021, 11:20 pm
slcagg wrote:
Yeah, my post was more of a prediction than a 100% accurate assessment. I believe if we finish with just one more loss, we'll be the 1 seed. You are right, that it isn't a certainty.
Either way getting a 1 or 2 seed at least guarantees an easier quarterfinal. However once you reach the semis not sure it matters. Although I’d prefer to play the Aztecs the least.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 27th, 2021, 11:24 pm

Turtle wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 11:21 pm
slcagg wrote:
They have 3 losses. If we split with Boise and win the other games, I believe we'd have the tie break with them.. Unless Boise does come in third over SDSU and they won both games at Boise and we'd only have split in this hypothetical scenario.
CSU only has 2 conference losses right now. I don't think they'll win out though.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » January 27th, 2021, 11:25 pm

Am I just now noticing that SDSU and UNLV don’t play each other this year? Didn’t see anything about a postponement, and thought it seemed odd. Anyone know why?

bigblue32

Post by bigblue32 » January 27th, 2021, 11:27 pm

January 27th, 2021, 11:24 pm
Turtle wrote:
slcagg wrote:
CSU only has 2 conference losses right now. I don't think they'll win out though.
I was mistaken because the FS1 graphic showed them with 3 losses in conference if I am not mistaken

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 27th, 2021, 11:34 pm

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 11:25 pm
Am I just now noticing that SDSU and UNLV don’t play each other this year? Didn’t see anything about a postponement, and thought it seemed odd. Anyone know why?
Yes they were scheduled to play around New Years and unlv was not back
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggiesbleedblue

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 28th, 2021, 12:01 am

bigblue32 wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 11:27 pm
Turtle wrote:
slcagg wrote:
I was mistaken because the FS1 graphic showed them with 3 losses in conference if I am not mistaken
Their other loss was a 20 pt setback to St Mary's which is kind of weird since St Mary's isn't great this year. Like us they have turned it up in league. I'm very interested in how they do against Boise State in the rematch.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 28th, 2021, 5:56 am

January 28th, 2021, 12:01 am
bigblue32 wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 11:27 pm
Turtle wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Their other loss was a 20 pt setback to St Mary's which is kind of weird since St Mary's isn't great this year. Like us they have turned it up in league. I'm very interested in how they do against Boise State in the rematch.
Csu started late and that was one of their first games while st Mary’s had played for a for a few weeks. They just had a dud of a game. 33 pts.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 28th, 2021, 7:31 am

SpectrumMagic wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 11:12 pm
Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 10:56 pm
CSU in good shape. After Boise toughest games are @ Wyoming and @ Nevada. I think BSU could end up 4th. SDSU may not lose another game.
I hope that BSU ends up 5th and that UNLV ends up 4th. I know it's a stretch but UNLV only has three losses and in addition to us they've already played CSU. They don't play SDSU this year. BSU still has one more game with CSU, then still has to play SDSU away and USU and UNLV. I could see UNLV splitting a game in Boise.

This is a possible scenario of how the season could finish out:

-USU (3 total losses - 1 more against BSU)
-CSU (3 total losses - 1 more against BSU tomorrow) Note: If they beat BSU again they likely win the conference title.
-SDSU (3 total losses - no more losses)
-UNLV (4 total losses - 1 more against BSU)
-BSU (5 total losses - 2 losses at SDSU, 1 loss against UNLV, 1 loss against USU)

"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » January 28th, 2021, 7:55 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 7:31 am

-CSU (3 total losses - 1 more against BSU tomorrow) Note: If they beat BSU again they likely win the conference title.
-BSU (5 total losses - 2 losses at SDSU, 1 loss against UNLV, 1 loss against USU)
In a regular season the losses would determine the order of the finish. But with UNLV-SDSU apparently not making up their cancelled games from early January they won't finish in a tie with teams that have the same number of losses.

So SDSU winning out would leave them 15-3 while USU and CSU with three losses would be 17-3.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 28th, 2021, 8:04 am

SectionBAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 7:55 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 7:31 am

In a regular season the losses would determine the order of the finish. But with UNLV-SDSU apparently not making up their cancelled games from early January they won't finish in a tie with teams that have the same number of losses.

So SDSU winning out would leave them 15-3 while USU and CSU with three losses would be 17-3.
Good point. I didn't know how all of that would play out so I didn't rank the teams. It's going to be a tight race with the top four or five teams.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 28th, 2021, 8:43 am

We find ourselves rooting for BSU to beat CSU tomorrow and then for BAU to lose both games to SDS. Then we need to at least split with BSU. A 4-way tie with 3 losses gives us the edge.

If BSU loses again to CSU then we would either need to sweep BSU or hope for another CSU loss. Losing to anyone outside the 4 contenders (like our loss to UNLV) is not a killer. Our record against the contenders is the key.

SDS is not the main competition right now. CSU and BSU are. If BSU loses again to CSU then CSU becomes our sole competitor but we would still own the tie-breaker (our two SDS wins) provided we also sweep BSU. That would be a tall order.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 28th, 2021, 9:49 am

Wyoming and Nevada are not going to be pushovers. I think there is a high probability that we lose one of those games. The Aggies must be prepared each and every night and cannot afford a let-down like the first UNLV game. They can't be so focused on Boise State that they slip up against WYO or Nevada.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » January 28th, 2021, 12:31 pm

After thinking about it, the cancellation of the second FSU-BSU puts BSU with a foot in the bucket as well because they lose seeding to either USU or CSU if the teams have the same number of losses.

Of the teams in the discussion for top seed, only USU and CSU have full 20-game conference schedules still on the calendar.

SDSU, UNLV, UW, BSU and FSU all have had games cancelled (or perhaps postponed).

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 28th, 2021, 12:54 pm

I think Boise has the toughest row to hoe with the remaining schedule and CSU has the easiest. The top 4 teams are as follows:

BSU

@CSU
@UNR
@UNR
vs. UNLV
vs. UNLV
vs. USU
vs. USU
@SDSU
@SDSU

CSU

vs. BSU
@WYO
@WYO
vs. UNM
vs. UNM
@UNR
@UNR
vs. AFA
vs. AFA

SDSU

vs. WYO
vs. WYO
@UNM
@UNM
vs. SJSU
vs. SJSU
@FSU
@FSU
vs. BSU
vs. BSU

USU

@FSU
@FSU
vs. WYO
vs. WYO
@BSU
@BSU
vs. UNR
vs. UNR

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 28th, 2021, 3:58 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 12:31 pm
After thinking about it, the cancellation of the second FSU-BSU puts BSU with a foot in the bucket as well because they lose seeding to either USU or CSU if the teams have the same number of losses.

Of the teams in the discussion for top seed, only USU and CSU have full 20-game conference schedules still on the calendar.

SDSU, UNLV, UW, BSU and FSU all have had games cancelled (or perhaps postponed).
The conference left unscheduled the entire week between the last scheduled game (March 1, CSU @ AFA) before the beginning of the conference tournament on March 10, presumably to allow games postponed to be made up. Have either the conference or any of the teams announced whether there will be makeup games that week?

Nobody here knows anything.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 28th, 2021, 4:00 pm

I honestly think that CSU will lose another conference game to someone not named Boise. They rely so much on the 3-pointer that there will be a night when they will go cold and lose a game they are favored in. Just as we can't take UNR or WYO lightly neither can CSU. Add-in the fact that WYO is rival 1.5 hours away and anything could happen. Boise could easily lose 4-5 more games in conference.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 28th, 2021, 4:03 pm

OKAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 3:58 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 12:31 pm

The conference left unscheduled the entire week between the last scheduled game (March 1, CSU @ AFA) before the beginning of the conference tournament on March 10, presumably to allow games postponed to be made up. Have either the conference or any of the teams announced whether there will be makeup games that week?
I would assume they will wait and see if the missing games impact the seeding of the top 5 teams OR if a team on the NCAA bubble is missing a game and could use another victory to pad the resume. It would make no sense to make up games between UNM/SJSU/Air Force

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 28th, 2021, 4:21 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 4:00 pm
I honestly think that CSU will lose another conference game to someone not named Boise. They rely so much on the 3-pointer that there will be a night when they will go cold and lose a game they are favored in. Just as we can't take UNR or WYO lightly neither can CSU. Add-in the fact that WYO is rival 1.5 hours away and anything could happen. Boise could easily lose 4-5 more games in conference.
If CSU is going to lose another game to someone not named Boise then I hope CSU kicks the $hit out of BSU tomorrow night.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 28th, 2021, 6:22 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
There games at WYO will be tough. WYO is going to start allowing fans. Would not be surprised to see them upset CSU one game.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 28th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 6:22 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
There games at WYO will be tough. WYO is going to start allowing fans. Would not be surprised to see them upset CSU one game.
I'm guessing they'll also be allowing batteries to be tossed as well.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
sam tingey

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 28th, 2021, 7:39 pm

SDSU is just pummeling WYO. Mitchell is back playing. After the losses to USU they have been rolling there past few games.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic