Player grades

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
utaggies

Player grades

Post by utaggies » January 29th, 2021, 11:12 am

We are now beyond having played half of our conference schedule. Here are the grades I think the major contributors (9 deep) have earned so far. My grades are based on the expectations going into the season versus what they have actually delivered thus far.

Queta: A-
Neemias has pretty much done everything this year but drive the team bus. The reason for the minus is I thought his scoring average would be better than 12 ppg. That may be a product of our offense and spreading the offensive production around. His scoring may pick up, too, as we play teams with lesser centers

Bean: B
Bean picked up from last year. He bring his lunch pale to the court and just goes about his work. His scoring and rebounding averages are down a little from last year but not appreciably.

Miller: A+
I think Brock is the team leader. He is the cheerleader and motivator. It seems his confidence is much better this year. While I’ve never thought his defense has been great he is very active and never gives up. He is not a lazy defender. I couldn’t be more pleased about what Miller has brought to the team this year.

Anthony: B
Marco remains an enigma to me. He is a very good defender. Somehow he hits his 3’s but his shot looks like a Mark Eaton “push” free throw — who shot the ball like he had no fingers. Marco gets into the paint and bodies up players but seems to have a difficult time finishing. He is about the last of our regulars that I want to see at the free throw line in a close game. All of that aside he brings an athleticism to our team that we have lacked and can penetrate defenses.

Worster: B+
I had no idea what we would be getting from this kid. He is my favorite. He is tenacious both offensively and defensively. Early on he was a turnover machine but he has improved in that area. He is learning to be the floor general and his teammates seem to have increased confidence in him. But the time he finishes his time at USU I believe he may be the career leader in rebounds for a point guard. His FT% is only a titch behind Merrill’s %. That is saying something.

Anderson: C
I thought Alphonso would be more of a main cog this year. His scoring and rebounding averages are down from last year but he’s also getting 4 fewer mpg. My preference would be for him to take fewer threes but he has hit some big ones.

Bairstow: D
I keep waiting for Sean to deliver on the promise we had for him but so far I have been disappointed. I think he still needs 20 more pounds on his frame. He is not a defensive or offensive difference maker. He has a good 3-point % but doesn’t seem to be a good “shooter”. His FT% is south of 70%. I lack confidence in him when he’s on the floor.

Dorius: B
I have been pleased with his progress this year and he has exceeded my expectations. He has been a serviceable backup for Queta. He doesn’t get many minutes but I don’t go into panick mode when he needs to give Neemias a rest.

Ashworth: B
Thie guy is the Everready Bunny. While he had a tough first game against UNLV I believe he has been a difference maker. He can break the press and is a good ball handler. He is money from the FT line and is probably the best shooter on the team. He is tenacious defensively and what he lacks in size he makes up for in GATA. He is a player we’d hate — a la Danny Ainge — if he were on the opposing team.

Thoughts?
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 2):
aggies22NewUSUfan

AggieFBObsession

Re: Player grades

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 29th, 2021, 11:37 am

If a freshman is playing and has a positive plus/minus, it should be an A for him. Just my $.02. It's really not the fault of a freshman that our basketball program doesn't have a more experienced player there to carry the load.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
GeoAg

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 29th, 2021, 1:45 pm

Just one comment. You said your preference was for Fonz to take less threes. I like the number of threes he is taking and wouldn’t mind him putting up 1 or 2 more. On the other hand, I really wish Bean would stop shooting 3’s altogether. He is better off looking for a block, or steal, or rebound, or an assist and not a three. Actually it is the team that would be better off if he went back to the hustle plays around the basket, or taking 10 to 12 foot jumpers.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
sstrasser

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 29th, 2021, 2:23 pm

Queta: A
Bean: A-
Miller: A
Worster: B

Ashworth: B+
Anderson: B+
Bairstow: C

Anthony and Worster can get some extra credit to boost their grade by improving on consistency and becoming at least good enough to hit 3-4 threes between them a game.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 29th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Queta: A
Bean: A
Miller: A
Anthony: A-
Worster: A-

Ashworth: A-
Anderson: B+
Dorius: B+
Bairstow: B

I'm an easy grader.

Queta, Bean are where I expected them to be and I graded them at "A" last year. Miller went from a C to an A. Anthony, Worster, and Ashworth are all doing well with some room for improvements, but in the A-range. Anderson B+, but it's not really his fault since he gets so little playing time.

Dorius has been solid as a backup with little PT. B+ for him.
Bairstow a solid B. Needs to improve his decision making, ball handling, and limit his turnovers. Has looked great from 3-point land, however.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
sstrasserAggieFBObsession

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 29th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Eutaw St. Aggie

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 29th, 2021, 3:21 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 1:45 pm
Just one comment. You said your preference was for Fonz to take less threes. I like the number of threes he is taking and wouldn’t mind him putting up 1 or 2 more. On the other hand, I really wish Bean would stop shooting 3’s altogether. He is better off looking for a block, or steal, or rebound, or an assist and not a three. Actually it is the team that would be better off if he went back to the hustle plays around the basket, or taking 10 to 12 foot jumpers.
If he goes for a block or steal instead of shooting the 3, then I think he ought to be kicked off the team.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 29th, 2021, 3:42 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 11:12 am
We are now beyond having played half of our conference schedule. Here are the grades I think the major contributors (9 deep) have earned so far. My grades are based on the expectations going into the season versus what they have actually delivered thus far.

Queta: A-
Neemias has pretty much done everything this year but drive the team bus. The reason for the minus is I thought his scoring average would be better than 12 ppg. That may be a product of our offense and spreading the offensive production around. His scoring may pick up, too, as we play teams with lesser centers

Bean: B
Bean picked up from last year. He bring his lunch pale to the court and just goes about his work. His scoring and rebounding averages are down a little from last year but not appreciably.

Miller: A+
I think Brock is the team leader. He is the cheerleader and motivator. It seems his confidence is much better this year. While I’ve never thought his defense has been great he is very active and never gives up. He is not a lazy defender. I couldn’t be more pleased about what Miller has brought to the team this year.

Marco remains an enigma to me. He is a very good defender. Somehow he hits his 3’s but his shot looks like a Mark Eaton “push” free throw — who shot the ball like he had no fingers. Marco gets into the paint and bodies up players but seems to have a difficult time finishing. He is about the last of our regulars that I want to see at the free throw line in a close game. All of that aside he brings an athleticism to our team that we have lacked and can penetrate defenses.

Worster: B+
I had no idea what we would be getting from this kid. He is my favorite. He is tenacious both offensively and defensively. Early on he was a turnover machine but he has improved in that area. He is learning to be the floor general and his teammates seem to have increased confidence in him. But the time he finishes his time at USU I believe he may be the career leader in rebounds for a point guard. His FT% is only a titch behind Merrill’s %. That is saying something.

Anderson: C
I thought Alphonso would be more of a main cog this year. His scoring and rebounding averages are down from last year but he’s also getting 4 fewer mpg. My preference would be for him to take fewer threes but he has hit some big ones.

Bairstow: D
I keep waiting for Sean to deliver on the promise we had for him but so far I have been disappointed. I think he still needs 20 more pounds on his frame. He is not a defensive or offensive difference maker. He has a good 3-point % but doesn’t seem to be a good “shooter”. His FT% is south of 70%. I lack confidence in him when he’s on the floor.

I have been pleased with his progress this year and he has exceeded my expectations. He has been a serviceable backup for Queta. He doesn’t get many minutes but I don’t go into panick mode when he needs to give Neemias a rest.

Ashworth: B
Thie guy is the Everready Bunny. While he had a tough first game against UNLV I believe he has been a difference maker. He can break the press and is a good ball handler. He is money from the FT line and is probably the best shooter on the team. He is tenacious defensively and what he lacks in size he makes up for in GATA. He is a player we’d hate — a la Danny Ainge — if he were on the opposing team.

Thoughts?
I would put Bairstow at a C at least. I think he is playing better. He is shooting the ball well and not taking bad shots. Sure the fast breaks on Monday were bad, but over the last month he has been in more control. He is shooting the 3 ball well and he has been driving to the basket rather than going up for a layup or a contested shot that gets blocked he has developed a pretty solid 10 foot fade away shot.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » January 29th, 2021, 3:54 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
I agree with this. Bean needs to stop taking 3s altogether. He's (::918AGG checks stats, rubs his glasses, checks stats again::) shooting 16% from 3 this year, and as one of our better rebounders, the act of shooting a three obviously takes him away from the basket, which yields a near instant turnover.

I'd much rather see him work from the elbow or short corner and develop his 15-to-18-footer to perfection. Think Dirk or Mailman with a solid shot that he can hit almost flat-footed on the short side of the court, away from Neemy in the post. This is where he needs to be IMO.

I like Fonz more than most, and he's shooting 32.4% from 3, which is pretty solid given his role and clutch gene (if such a thing exists).
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 2):
mcaggie1AggieFBObsession

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 30th, 2021, 9:18 am

918AGG wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 3:54 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
I agree with this. Bean needs to stop taking 3s altogether. He's (::918AGG checks stats, rubs his glasses, checks stats again::) shooting 16% from 3 this year, and as one of our better rebounders, the act of shooting a three obviously takes him away from the basket, which yields a near instant turnover.

I'd much rather see him work from the elbow or short corner and develop his 15-to-18-footer to perfection
. Think Dirk or Mailman with a solid shot that he can hit almost flat-footed on the short side of the court, away from Neemy in the post. This is where he needs to be IMO.

I like Fonz more than most, and he's shooting 32.4% from 3, which is pretty solid given his role and clutch gene (if such a thing exists).
A rare point of agreement with 918AGG :) Bean's 17 footer from the baseline has become a thing of beauty -- quick motion, full extension on release. I love to see him take that shot. But somehow move him out five feet to the three-point line and all that grace is lost -- slow delivery, shoots from his chest, and as 918 said, sacrifices the thing he does best for the thing he does worst. I know there's value to having him shoot from out there occasionally just to keep the defense honest, but that only works if they think you can make it. If I were (an actual basketball player) defending him, I'd turn for the rim as soon as Bean goes into his Transformer motion behind the arc. Craig should let him shoot it until his first miss in a game, then pull the plug. My guess is he'd never get to his third attempt.

Nobody here knows anything.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 30th, 2021, 9:31 am

OKAggie wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 9:18 am
918AGG wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 3:54 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:

I'd much rather see him work from the elbow or short corner and develop his 15-to-18-footer to perfection
. Think Dirk or Mailman with a solid shot that he can hit almost flat-footed on the short side of the court, away from Neemy in the post. This is where he needs to be IMO.

A rare point of agreement with 918AGG :) Bean's 17 footer from the baseline has become a thing of beauty -- quick motion, full extension on release. I love to see him take that shot. But somehow move him out five feet to the three-point line and all that grace is lost -- slow delivery, shoots from his chest, and as 918 said, sacrifices the thing he does best for the thing he does worst. I know there's value to having him shoot from out there occasionally just to keep the defense honest, but that only works if they think you can make it. If I were (an actual basketball player) defending him, I'd turn for the rim as soon as Bean goes into his Transformer motion behind the arc. Craig should let him shoot it until his first miss in a game, then pull the plug. My guess is he'd never get to his third attempt.
The problem is Bean shoots his threes as a set shot typically and his mid-range shot is always on the move or with a turnaround. The 1 three he made in Vegas was a step back. I think with as open as he is on the 3 pt line he should catch, take a dribble, and then pull up and shoot. I bet we’d see more of the mid-range form replicated.

Locked Previous topicNext topic