Queta Dunk Fest

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ThunderAggie

Queta Dunk Fest

Post by ThunderAggie » February 17th, 2021, 9:11 pm

What a game by Queta! There were a few shaky parts, particularly on defense, but still had a career night. Career high in points and half of them were dunks. Wish other guys would of stepped up but good to see Queta play like a potential NBA player!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Queta Dunk Fest

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 17th, 2021, 9:12 pm

Yeah tough night, but amazing watching Queta. Let's get revenge Friday Night!
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
sstrasser

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » February 17th, 2021, 10:02 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 9:12 pm
Yeah tough night, but amazing watching Queta. Let's get revenge Friday Night!
Queta had a monster game - and was 8-9 from the line. Disappointing to lose with his stat line.

Our bench was outscored 17-12.

BSU starting guards scored 46
16-34 from 2
6-13 from 3
8-9 from FT

USU guards scored 16
7-22 from 2
1-10 from 3
1-4 from FT

We could really use a dynamic guard like Sherfield or Cambridge at UNR that can create their shot and get to the rim.

Guard play is our weak spot and it was really exploited. Guard play is BSU strength - will have to play better D Friday. Neither team did well against other teams strength. Our weaknesses was just exposed more that is where we lost

Guard play will decide our fate Friday, in the MWT and hopefully NCAA game

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 17th, 2021, 10:36 pm

I think we had a concerted effort to not attack the rim with guards tonight. It looked like the plan was to not clutter up the lane and bring extra defenders in to help in Queta. The plan worked to perfection and Queta had a career night. The problem was - we could not hit the broad side of a barn from outside. That was the killer. The game plan was beautiful. Queta did his part. Everyone else was poop.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
AggiePTGUS

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 18th, 2021, 6:30 am

Not sure we know what to do when queta is not doubled. Movement without the ball stalled. Just needed a few good outside shots, but seems ball went to queta and we stood around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post:
MarioWest

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » February 18th, 2021, 9:21 am

Yossarian wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 10:36 pm
I think we had a concerted effort to not attack the rim with guards tonight. It looked like the plan was to not clutter up the lane and bring extra defenders in to help in Queta. The plan worked to perfection and Queta had a career night. The problem was - we could not hit the broad side of a barn from outside. That was the killer. The game plan was beautiful. Queta did his part. Everyone else was poop.
It was Rice's plan that worked to perfection, not Smith's. By not doubling, Boise decided they would let Queta get his, but shut everyone else down. That's exactly what happened. The outside shots weren't falling because they were largely well contested.

Not saying it was wrong for the Aggies to keep feeding the ball to Neemi, but it was Rice/Boise dictating those terms. That was clearly their game plan and it worked, at least for last night.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 18th, 2021, 9:57 am

MarioWest wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 9:21 am
Yossarian wrote:
It was Rice's plan that worked to perfection, not Smith's. By not doubling, Boise decided they would let Queta get his, but shut everyone else down. That's exactly what happened. The outside shots weren't falling because they were largely well contested.

Not saying it was wrong for the Aggies to keep feeding the ball to Neemi, but it was Rice/Boise dictating those terms. That was clearly their game plan and it worked, at least for last night.
I agree that Rice's plan worked better. Queta was nearly unstoppable in the post when he had a one-on-one defense. I don't think Rice's plan of hoping USU would miss shots is a good long-term strategy. It worked last night, for sure. Boise knew which guys to leave open from three (read Justin Bean here). Miller and Ashworth could not get any space to shoot.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 18th, 2021, 10:01 am

Our biggest weakness on this team is shooting. When our outside shots don't fall, we are in trouble.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
sstrasser

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 18th, 2021, 10:41 am

NVAggie wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 10:01 am
Our biggest weakness on this team is shooting. When our outside shots don't fall, we are in trouble.
Bingo. Our conference losses have all been directly related to our poor % from 3pt. I wouldn't even say our opponents had much to do with the losses, it just came down to the Aggies ability to hit a shot - either contested or wide open. We shot 25% or less from 3 point in all three conference losses.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
sstrasser

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 18th, 2021, 11:41 am

Aglicious wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 10:41 am
NVAggie wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 10:01 am
Bingo. Our conference losses have all been directly related to our poor % from 3pt. I wouldn't even say our opponents had much to do with the losses, it just came down to the Aggies ability to hit a shot - either contested or wide open. We shot 25% or less from 3 point in all three conference losses.
This is spot on. In our losses we struggle from 3. There were some contested shots, but there were several for Steven and Brock where they got good looks and just could not knock them down. We will go as far as our 3 point shooting takes us. If we shoot in the 35-38% range the Aggies are a tough team to beat.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 18th, 2021, 1:25 pm

how many did he get? i'm too lazy to re-watch it and count.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 18th, 2021, 1:32 pm

tipitup wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 1:25 pm
i don't have the exact amount, but probably 5-6

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 18th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 1:32 pm
tipitup wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 1:25 pm
i don't have the exact amount, but probably 5-6
I'm thinking more than that. Like 8 or 9

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » February 19th, 2021, 5:00 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 9:57 am
MarioWest wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I agree that Rice's plan worked better. Queta was nearly unstoppable in the post when he had a one-on-one defense. I don't think Rice's plan of hoping USU would miss shots is a good long-term strategy. It worked last night, for sure. Boise knew which guys to leave open from three (read Justin Bean here). Miller and Ashworth could not get any space to shoot.
Even more reason to play Fonz. I feel like with Worster out, Fonz should be getting most of those minutes.

Where only sage brush grows

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » February 19th, 2021, 5:18 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 9:57 am
MarioWest wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Even more reason to play Fonz. I feel like with Worster out, Fonz should be getting most of those minutes.
Fonz has to guard someone or he isn’t going to get the minutes we need from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic