I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession
Posts: 1120
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 1494 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by AggieFBObsession » February 27th, 2021, 4:42 pm

Aglicious wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 4:03 pm
I really thought none of them would see a full 4 years at USU.
I'm not sure where this logic comes from. Diogo and Neemy are Euros too. Karwowski didn't do so poorly when he had some minutes early in the year last season. He just didn't have the work ethic of Dorius and I think Dorius surprised everyone.

So far, I wouldn't classify any of the Euros as failures. Vedishev was extremely talented but just a head case. Zapala is going to have more opportunities and I'm not ready to cancel him out. I think many people need to be more opened minded and patient, especially with the freshmen.



Blitz79
Posts: 1502
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by Blitz79 » February 27th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Not to mention that both Zapala and Shulga will be freshmen again next year. A full year of work will do wonders for them.
I hope Liam come back strong next year as well.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
AggieFBObsession



NewUSUfan
Posts: 73
Joined: November 27th, 2019, 8:42 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by NewUSUfan » February 27th, 2021, 6:32 pm

If Shugla stays next year. ( my only fear is when foreign kids go home for the summer will the comeback). I think he will pass Ashworth on the depth chart. He was a head of him before the season then had to sit out right before it started due to covid and lost his mojo. He has the potential to be an impact player for sure next year.
These users thanked the author NewUSUfan for the post:
Real Life Aggie



AggieFanNate
Posts: 79
Joined: December 15th, 2020, 6:17 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by AggieFanNate » February 27th, 2021, 10:10 pm

SLB wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 4:21 pm
Aglicious wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 4:03 pm
I'm just pleasantly surprised that it appears one of the three Euros that Smith's staff went after might actually prove to be a decent role player. I really thought none of them would see a full 4 years at USU.
Zapala would play, but we have Dorius and Queta in front of Zapala. He will get his chance next season.
True kinda hard to be a freshman behind one of the best centers in the country and Dorius who is alot better than many people give him credit. I think it's kinda funny how people flip flop on here. One second Craig Smith is a really good recruiter and the next everyone he recruited is a flop and he only got lucky with Queta. Remember Ashworth was convinced to stay by Smith, Worster was recruited by Smith, Liam although we haven't seen much of him yet has A TON of potential, Zapala and shulga too, then you have Queta who is a beast, oh and Anderson who is really good for his role too, and can we all calm down on Anthony? While I know he isn't the scorer I hoped he would be he really is a calming presence for our team. He distributes well and he has a ton of athleticism. I would say he does a good job. Remember Porter didn't really do too well against heavy competition points wise but he was a great person to have in control. And Anthony's defense is far better than the nay sayers realize. Shulga did well last night don't get me wrong but one night of pretty good defense does not mean they are better than Anthony I think without Anthony and Queta slowing the scoring of the teams we play we would have a significantly worse record right now.
These users thanked the author AggieFanNate for the post:
Real Life Aggie



SLB
Posts: 5221
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by SLB » February 27th, 2021, 11:19 pm

AggieFanNate wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 10:10 pm
SLB wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 4:21 pm
Aglicious wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 4:03 pm
I'm just pleasantly surprised that it appears one of the three Euros that Smith's staff went after might actually prove to be a decent role player. I really thought none of them would see a full 4 years at USU.
Zapala would play, but we have Dorius and Queta in front of Zapala. He will get his chance next season.
True kinda hard to be a freshman behind one of the best centers in the country and Dorius who is alot better than many people give him credit. I think it's kinda funny how people flip flop on here. One second Craig Smith is a really good recruiter and the next everyone he recruited is a flop and he only got lucky with Queta. Remember Ashworth was convinced to stay by Smith, Worster was recruited by Smith, Liam although we haven't seen much of him yet has A TON of potential, Zapala and shulga too, then you have Queta who is a beast, oh and Anderson who is really good for his role too, and can we all calm down on Anthony? While I know he isn't the scorer I hoped he would be he really is a calming presence for our team. He distributes well and he has a ton of athleticism. I would say he does a good job. Remember Porter didn't really do too well against heavy competition points wise but he was a great person to have in control. And Anthony's defense is far better than the nay sayers realize. Shulga did well last night don't get me wrong but one night of pretty good defense does not mean they are better than Anthony I think without Anthony and Queta slowing the scoring of the teams we play we would have a significantly worse record right now.
This is true, and I feel Worster gets way too much crap here. Shulga played in the 2nd game of the Boise State series then gets 18 minutes against Nevada. This is just short of starting Shulga which says a lot, and most playing time for Shulga was this Nevada game with 18 minutes where he played his best. This basically gives me Bean and Dorius vibes (more Bean than Dorius). Craig Smith has praised Shulga non-stop which is like Bean. I sense Shulga moving into the spot of being a starter next season since this is where it is trending.



Blitz79
Posts: 1502
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by Blitz79 » February 28th, 2021, 7:19 am

Two games while the starter is injured as not a trend. Nobody is crapping on Worster here. The kid is a stud.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
AggieFBObsession



User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 1214
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 207 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by Aggie in Boise » February 28th, 2021, 11:26 am

I liked what I saw from Shulga the other night. He seemed really composed, he hustled, he played good defense, he rebounded and passed well, and was constantly moving. I like his length and size and look forward to seeing him play more. It's possible that he could become a starter at some point next season as a lot can happen between now and next season.


"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

mcaggie1
Posts: 3021
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 393 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by mcaggie1 » February 28th, 2021, 2:21 pm

SLB wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 9:43 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 8:16 am
I like Shulga, but the only thing he has over Marco and Rollie are his shoes. He will be good player when he can shoot.
Right now he can score on a layup or a free throw. He needs to work on his confidence shooting three’s. I also don’t know if he can create his own shot.
I am talking about next season not this season hence the title of the thread.
No way at all will he start until he shows something offensively. Ashworth and Worster have both shown they can score IN GAMES. if he does start, then we should be ecstatic because he will have beat out two very good players.



mcaggie1
Posts: 3021
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 393 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by mcaggie1 » February 28th, 2021, 2:23 pm

SLB wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 11:19 pm
AggieFanNate wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 10:10 pm
SLB wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 4:21 pm
Aglicious wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 4:03 pm
I'm just pleasantly surprised that it appears one of the three Euros that Smith's staff went after might actually prove to be a decent role player. I really thought none of them would see a full 4 years at USU.
Zapala would play, but we have Dorius and Queta in front of Zapala. He will get his chance next season.
True kinda hard to be a freshman behind one of the best centers in the country and Dorius who is alot better than many people give him credit. I think it's kinda funny how people flip flop on here. One second Craig Smith is a really good recruiter and the next everyone he recruited is a flop and he only got lucky with Queta. Remember Ashworth was convinced to stay by Smith, Worster was recruited by Smith, Liam although we haven't seen much of him yet has A TON of potential, Zapala and shulga too, then you have Queta who is a beast, oh and Anderson who is really good for his role too, and can we all calm down on Anthony? While I know he isn't the scorer I hoped he would be he really is a calming presence for our team. He distributes well and he has a ton of athleticism. I would say he does a good job. Remember Porter didn't really do too well against heavy competition points wise but he was a great person to have in control. And Anthony's defense is far better than the nay sayers realize. Shulga did well last night don't get me wrong but one night of pretty good defense does not mean they are better than Anthony I think without Anthony and Queta slowing the scoring of the teams we play we would have a significantly worse record right now.
This is true, and I feel Worster gets way too much crap here. Shulga played in the 2nd game of the Boise State series then gets 18 minutes against Nevada. This is just short of starting Shulga which says a lot, and most playing time for Shulga was this Nevada game with 18 minutes where he played his best. This basically gives me Bean and Dorius vibes (more Bean than Dorius). Craig Smith has praised Shulga non-stop which is like Bean. I sense Shulga moving into the spot of being a starter next season since this is where it is trending.
Keep dreaming.



slcagg
Posts: 6970
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1617 times
Been thanked: 1256 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by slcagg » February 28th, 2021, 2:30 pm

What position does shulga play?



SLB
Posts: 5221
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by SLB » February 28th, 2021, 2:43 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 2:30 pm
What position does shulga play?
Guard/wing



User avatar
scotlandog
Posts: 1360
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by scotlandog » February 28th, 2021, 3:47 pm

I’ve been excited to see Shulga play. We’ve heard lots about his ability to hit from deep, ball handling, and scoring ability. We’ve seen a little from the limited time he’s played.

It’s seemed like his defense and/or positioning is what’s been lacking. I didn’t really see him out of position too much and even saw a really good on ball defense to stop a drive.

His off ball movement has been pretty good and made for some easy baskets that last game. We need to see sustained minutes on both offense and defense. Give opposing teams time to get video on his tendencies and see how he plays. Until we see that and more minutes played, we really don’t know for sure what we have. Is it promising? It sure does and we all hope the best for any Aggie. I’m rooting for Shulga and I’m rooting for Anthony. And I think Anderson should be getting more playing time while I’m at it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 15998
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: Arlington, VA
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 28th, 2021, 5:22 pm

I was laughing too but then he just threw that incredible pass before Marco blew the dunk.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 15998
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: Arlington, VA
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 28th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Shulga has more points, rebounds, assists, and steals than Nevada's entire combined bench with 8 mins to go.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 4):
BLUERUFiOSectionBAggieAggieFBObsessionReal Life Aggie



SLB
Posts: 5221
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by SLB » February 28th, 2021, 7:18 pm




SectionBAggie
Posts: 1324
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 9:04 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 141 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by SectionBAggie » February 28th, 2021, 8:49 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 6:45 pm
Shulga has more points, rebounds, assists, and steals than Nevada's entire combined bench with 8 mins to go.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.
So many good things happened in today's game, but I am so glad that I found this nugget buried in a thread.



AggieFanNate
Posts: 79
Joined: December 15th, 2020, 6:17 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by AggieFanNate » February 28th, 2021, 9:00 pm

So I think shulga may start next year but I'm not sure who he will replace I personally think Marco is perfect as a starter his passing and defensive ability are just too strong and while he may not be great on a jumper he can take it in if they get too lax on him. So that leaves Worster and Miller which idk Worster is great as we know and Miller is our shooter, although Ashworth may have potential to replace him along with shulga.



ususports
Posts: 1684
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 518 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by ususports » February 28th, 2021, 9:13 pm

SLB wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 7:18 pm
Did you notice how much more productive that was than an almost steal? :joking:



Bank Shot
Posts: 729
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 312 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by Bank Shot » February 28th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Who cares who starts? If the glimpse we got of Max this weekend is the real deal, then I envision him a really valuable guy to have come in on the first rotation. He could become a better version of Brito.

OP's original suggestion of being a starter isn't likely if everyone returns healthy, but he lost me when he said he should start over Marco. Sometimes we get to get caught up in stats and forget to watch the game. If you watched this week you can come to no other conclusion that Marco was exceptional. I don't remember anyone saying Marco would replace Sam, but some, including myself, was hoping he could be a 12-15 point guy every night. That hasn't happened consistently, but as a lock down defender he's surpassed even his pre-season billing.

He was my runner up to Bean for the game ball Friday, and runner up to Q today.



SLB
Posts: 5221
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by SLB » February 28th, 2021, 10:00 pm

ususports wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 9:13 pm
SLB wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 7:18 pm
Did you notice how much more productive that was than an almost steal? :joking:
I felt that what were almost steals would become steals.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3581
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1252 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by Aggie84025 » February 28th, 2021, 10:10 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 9:26 pm
Who cares who starts? If the glimpse we got of Max this weekend is the real deal, then I envision him a really valuable guy to have come in on the first rotation. He could become a better version of Brito.

OP's original suggestion of being a starter isn't likely if everyone returns healthy, but he lost me when he said he should start over Marco. Sometimes we get to get caught up in stats and forget to watch the game. If you watched this week you can come to no other conclusion that Marco was exceptional. I don't remember anyone saying Marco would replace Sam, but some, including myself, was hoping he could be a 12-15 point guy every night. That hasn't happened consistently, but as a lock down defender he's surpassed even his pre-season billing.

He was my runner up to Bean for the game ball Friday, and runner up to Q today.
If Shulga can become what Brito was his last 2 years i would be ecstatic. Really happy to see him play well. Hard to do when for most the year he would only play in garbage minutes, but to come and play as well as he has is awesome to see. 5 points, 8 rebounds and 4 steals are awesome numbers.



slcagg
Posts: 6970
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1617 times
Been thanked: 1256 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by slcagg » February 28th, 2021, 10:18 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 10:10 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 9:26 pm
Who cares who starts? If the glimpse we got of Max this weekend is the real deal, then I envision him a really valuable guy to have come in on the first rotation. He could become a better version of Brito.

OP's original suggestion of being a starter isn't likely if everyone returns healthy, but he lost me when he said he should start over Marco. Sometimes we get to get caught up in stats and forget to watch the game. If you watched this week you can come to no other conclusion that Marco was exceptional. I don't remember anyone saying Marco would replace Sam, but some, including myself, was hoping he could be a 12-15 point guy every night. That hasn't happened consistently, but as a lock down defender he's surpassed even his pre-season billing.

He was my runner up to Bean for the game ball Friday, and runner up to Q today.
If Shulga can become what Brito was his last 2 years i would be ecstatic. Really happy to see him play well. Hard to do when for most the year he would only play in garbage minutes, but to come and play as well as he has is awesome to see. 5 points, 8 rebounds and 4 steals are awesome numbers.
Remember this is one thing smith mentioned wjen signing him is that he could fill a stat sheet.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2309
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2472 times
Been thanked: 855 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 1st, 2021, 5:08 pm

Man, there are some really bad takes in here. Because we praise Marco's ability, esp. defensively, that means we think he's better than Sam? Marco needs to be replaced because his game is "limited"? There's a whole lot of wrong to unpack here.

I'm high on Shulga, but as I've put in other threads, I was high on both Shulga and Zahar (too bad the latter couldn't buy into the system... I think he'd have been an incredible player). Shulga looked great and played really good, but a few couple of runs do not show that he plays "real" defense as compared to Marco. Marco's done an incredible job shutting down key opposing players this season, and he carried us offensively early on when the team was still growing into itself. I think some of the comparisons to defensively stalwart players (Pooh, Newbold) are spot on: he's great defensively, with the ability to step up on offensive on occasion.

Why does this have to be a zero sum game? Why do people have to drag down Marco just because Shulga is looking great? Marco is a great player. He has defense, size, the ability to score, experience, and composure.

@SLB People aren't saying you're crazy for saying Shulga will start, so you don't need to intone the "I was right that one time about Bean!" (and even that is being misrepresented by you... having just gone through the thread, a lot of people in there were high on Bean, even if most weren't.) People are bothered that you're trying to lift up Shulga by cutting down Marco, who has proved himself over and over. Be high on Shulga; he could really develop and turn into a starter and top player. But you don't need to belittle Marco just because he's not an offensive powerhouse. He has a decent line this season 10.7/4.7/2.9, and he was never billed as an offensive weapon.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggieguy13



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2309
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2472 times
Been thanked: 855 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 1st, 2021, 5:40 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 5:13 pm
It's also hard to take him seriously after reading his takes in the sandbox. Evidence based reason isn't high on the priority list.
I try to keep them distinct. I don't want disagreements over non-sports stuff to affect my belief in other Aggies as Aggie fans. We often disagree in Stew's Spectrum, but it's more civil than the Sandbox.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
cdaAg



QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 15998
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: Arlington, VA
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 1st, 2021, 8:36 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 5:13 pm
It's also hard to take him seriously after reading his takes in the sandbox. Evidence based reason isn't high on the priority list.
I try to keep them distinct. I don't want disagreements over non-sports stuff to affect my belief in other Aggies as Aggie fans. We often disagree in Stew's Spectrum, but it's more civil than the Sandbox.
That's very mature of you so I'm going to ignore it and call you names. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggiecdaAg



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2309
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2472 times
Been thanked: 855 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 1st, 2021, 8:45 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 8:36 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 5:13 pm
It's also hard to take him seriously after reading his takes in the sandbox. Evidence based reason isn't high on the priority list.
I try to keep them distinct. I don't want disagreements over non-sports stuff to affect my belief in other Aggies as Aggie fans. We often disagree in Stew's Spectrum, but it's more civil than the Sandbox.
That's very mature of you so I'm going to ignore it and call you names. Image
Image



slcagg
Posts: 6970
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1617 times
Been thanked: 1256 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by slcagg » March 2nd, 2021, 7:42 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 5:13 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:Man, there are some really bad takes in here. Because we praise Marco's ability, esp. defensively, that means we think he's better than Sam? Marco needs to be replaced because his game is "limited"? There's a whole lot of wrong to unpack here.

I'm high on Shulga, but as I've put in other threads, I was high on both Shulga and Zahar (too bad the latter couldn't buy into the system... I think he'd have been an incredible player). Shulga looked great and played really good, but a few couple of runs do not show that he plays "real" defense as compared to Marco. Marco's done an incredible job shutting down key opposing players this season, and he carried us offensively early on when the team was still growing into itself. I think some of the comparisons to defensively stalwart players (Pooh, Newbold) are spot on: he's great defensively, with the ability to step up on offensive on occasion.

Why does this have to be a zero sum game? Why do people have to drag down Marco just because Shulga is looking great? Marco is a great player. He has defense, size, the ability to score, experience, and composure.

@SLB People aren't saying you're crazy for saying Shulga will start, so you don't need to intone the "I was right that one time about Bean!" (and even that is being misrepresented by you... having just gone through the thread, a lot of people in there were high on Bean, even if most weren't.) People are bothered that you're trying to lift up Shulga by cutting down Marco, who has proved himself over and over. Be high on Shulga; he could really develop and turn into a starter and top player. But you don't need to belittle Marco just because he's not an offensive powerhouse. He has a decent line this season 10.7/4.7/2.9, and he was never billed as an offensive weapon.
It's also hard to take him seriously after reading his takes in the sandbox. Evidence based reason isn't high on the priority list.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do you need to say this?



Aggie84025
Posts: 3581
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1252 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by Aggie84025 » March 2nd, 2021, 7:59 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 7:42 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 5:13 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:Man, there are some really bad takes in here. Because we praise Marco's ability, esp. defensively, that means we think he's better than Sam? Marco needs to be replaced because his game is "limited"? There's a whole lot of wrong to unpack here.

I'm high on Shulga, but as I've put in other threads, I was high on both Shulga and Zahar (too bad the latter couldn't buy into the system... I think he'd have been an incredible player). Shulga looked great and played really good, but a few couple of runs do not show that he plays "real" defense as compared to Marco. Marco's done an incredible job shutting down key opposing players this season, and he carried us offensively early on when the team was still growing into itself. I think some of the comparisons to defensively stalwart players (Pooh, Newbold) are spot on: he's great defensively, with the ability to step up on offensive on occasion.

Why does this have to be a zero sum game? Why do people have to drag down Marco just because Shulga is looking great? Marco is a great player. He has defense, size, the ability to score, experience, and composure.

@SLB People aren't saying you're crazy for saying Shulga will start, so you don't need to intone the "I was right that one time about Bean!" (and even that is being misrepresented by you... having just gone through the thread, a lot of people in there were high on Bean, even if most weren't.) People are bothered that you're trying to lift up Shulga by cutting down Marco, who has proved himself over and over. Be high on Shulga; he could really develop and turn into a starter and top player. But you don't need to belittle Marco just because he's not an offensive powerhouse. He has a decent line this season 10.7/4.7/2.9, and he was never billed as an offensive weapon.
It's also hard to take him seriously after reading his takes in the sandbox. Evidence based reason isn't high on the priority list.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do you need to say this?
Because cancel culture is overtaking the world.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
QuackAttackAggieAggieArmy



QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 15998
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: Arlington, VA
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 2nd, 2021, 8:10 pm

Aglicious wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 4:03 pm
I'm just pleasantly surprised that it appears one of the three Euros that Smith's staff went after might actually prove to be a decent role player. I really thought none of them would see a full 4 years at USU.
He’s earned the benefit of the doubt from me on recruiting with them plus Worster.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2309
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2472 times
Been thanked: 855 times

Re: I believe that Shulga will become a starter next season

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 3rd, 2021, 7:34 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 7:59 pm
slcagg wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 7:42 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 5:13 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:Man, there are some really bad takes in here. Because we praise Marco's ability, esp. defensively, that means we think he's better than Sam? Marco needs to be replaced because his game is "limited"? There's a whole lot of wrong to unpack here.

I'm high on Shulga, but as I've put in other threads, I was high on both Shulga and Zahar (too bad the latter couldn't buy into the system... I think he'd have been an incredible player). Shulga looked great and played really good, but a few couple of runs do not show that he plays "real" defense as compared to Marco. Marco's done an incredible job shutting down key opposing players this season, and he carried us offensively early on when the team was still growing into itself. I think some of the comparisons to defensively stalwart players (Pooh, Newbold) are spot on: he's great defensively, with the ability to step up on offensive on occasion.

Why does this have to be a zero sum game? Why do people have to drag down Marco just because Shulga is looking great? Marco is a great player. He has defense, size, the ability to score, experience, and composure.

@SLB People aren't saying you're crazy for saying Shulga will start, so you don't need to intone the "I was right that one time about Bean!" (and even that is being misrepresented by you... having just gone through the thread, a lot of people in there were high on Bean, even if most weren't.) People are bothered that you're trying to lift up Shulga by cutting down Marco, who has proved himself over and over. Be high on Shulga; he could really develop and turn into a starter and top player. But you don't need to belittle Marco just because he's not an offensive powerhouse. He has a decent line this season 10.7/4.7/2.9, and he was never billed as an offensive weapon.
It's also hard to take him seriously after reading his takes in the sandbox. Evidence based reason isn't high on the priority list.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do you need to say this?
Because cancel culture is overtaking the world.
Keep it in the Sandbox.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic