Conference next year

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
flying_scotsman2.0

Conference next year

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 27th, 2021, 7:10 am

We had 5 solid teams this year with 4 in consideration for at-large bids.

New Mexico is getting a new coach and has the potential. UNLV seems to be trending upward (but we'll see as they never fail to disappoint). While the top 5 teams will continue to play well, with Nevada hopefully figuring things out earlier in the season next year.

I like the way the MW is trending in basketball a lot. If the bottom teams could figure something out to get their NET ratings <200, we'd be in really good shape. to be a 3+ league again next year.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionBobWilson

slcagg

Re: Conference next year

Post by slcagg » February 27th, 2021, 7:48 am

Great post. We need the 300 club in the conference to get out of the basement. Our top of the league is really good but the bottom 3 or 4 really drag us down. New Mexico will improve but will sam Jose and Air Force ever really be any good?

As it stands now I see csu as the favorite for next year. This is assuming queta, Alston and Mitchell move on. I’d also guess unlvs stud will move on.

Nevada won’t be far behind (spuds you guys have some really nice pieces). Usu and Boise won’t be quite as good as this year but still solid. I could see csu, Nevada, usu Boise and SDSU and possibly in the top 100 with New Mexico, Fresno and Wyoming not to far behind.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » February 27th, 2021, 8:27 am

Even Wyoming is getting better. The conference definitely is on the up and up. We got good coaches in this league. I see another 2013 scenario with four or five teams getting into the tournament in the foreseeable future with the way things are trending. This is a good thing for Utah State and our league.
Last edited by Aggiealum13 on February 27th, 2021, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bpd

Post by bpd » February 27th, 2021, 8:30 am

If Minnesota opens and I think it will, I expect Craig Smith gone.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
AggiesForever

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 27th, 2021, 8:47 am

As much as we hate the fact that we continually lose to BYU, we can hope all the bigger schools take note of that and go after Mark Pope before Smith!

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » February 27th, 2021, 8:58 am

Perhaps as Troy Calhoun believes, Air Force just isn't a good fit for this conference. ;) That would at least take care of one in the basement.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » February 27th, 2021, 9:08 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 8:47 am
As much as we hate the fact that we continually lose to BYU, we can hope all the bigger schools take note of that and go after Mark Pope before Smith!
BYU shockingly does a great job of retaining coaches for a long period of time. The religious pull is real at that University. Coaches would pass up bigger money to stay. I would say Smith would leave before Pope. However, I feel that Smith is not done with Utah State after this year.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
Dkdavis

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 27th, 2021, 9:10 am

HomeTown wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 8:58 am
Perhaps as Troy Calhoun believes, Air Force just isn't a good fit for this conference. ;) That would at least take care of one in the basement.
The conference though doesn't necessarily need Air Force to be competitive within the conference, they just need them to win the OOC games.

And the big thing stopping them from going independent in football is they need a conference for their other sports. Maybe they could join the Summit or WAC for other sports.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » February 27th, 2021, 4:47 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 7:48 am
Great post. We need the 300 club in the conference to get out of the basement.
Adding SJSU to the MWC was a bad idea. Who would I have taken instead? UTSA.

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » February 27th, 2021, 4:53 pm

I have reason to believe that Coach Smith is here for the long haul.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » February 27th, 2021, 5:21 pm

The really cool thing is that we have 4 tabs that have been talked about as being potential tourney teams and NONE of these 4 include Nevada, UNLV and New Mexico all schools with a rich basketball history. It seems to be a great time to be a part of the mountain west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpd

Post by bpd » February 27th, 2021, 6:34 pm

BobWilson wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 4:53 pm
Minnesota can: A- More than double his salary.
B- Is in the best basketball conference in the nation.
C. Is home for both him and his wife.
D. He can get to the final four.
E. Has fertile recruiting grounds.

Utah State next year is going to be down.

Bye Bye Craig. Thanks for the memories.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
AggiesForever

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » February 27th, 2021, 6:59 pm

From the Twin Cities Pioneer Press:

So, with those facts readily available, if Coyle is building a case to dismiss Pitino, the AD’s biggest hurdle will come in an off-the-court context.

After winning that one NCAA Tournament game in 2019, Pitino received a contract extension though the 2023-24 season; that means three more seasons remain on his deal. Pitino’s base salary is $2 million, plus incentives, according to a copy of the contract obtained by the Pioneer Press through a public data request.

If Pitino is fired before April 30, the U must pay a $1.75 million buyout, according to the contract. If the U keeps Pitino, his contract calls for $400,000 retention bonus on April 30.

These big line items come as the Gophers athletics department is enduring a substantial multi-million-dollar revenue shortfall for the current fiscal year due to the pandemic. The U and big collegiate programs nationwide have had fewer games in their two top revenue sports — football and men’s basketball — meaning less income from TV contracts. They have had no fans at any athletic event (besides a few family members) in 2020-21, so that primary revenue stream dried up for this school year.

In October, the U said it could lose $40 million to $60 million due to pandemic causes in the current fiscal year.

I know that people want to believe that there is an endless supply of money for colleges and universities to change coaches. But there is a reality out there as well. Minnesota has Pitino under contract through 2024 (three more years).

For those that point to UNM, it's a weak comparison. 11th place in a 14-team "best conference in America" is dramatically different than 11th place in the 11-team Mountain West (behind SJSU AND AFA). Especially when UNM has NO real chance of making money from their football team.

Minnesota may be on the short list for Coach Smith but now would be a terrible time for UM to make the move.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 27th, 2021, 7:02 pm

bpd wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 6:34 pm
BobWilson wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 4:53 pm
Minnesota can: A- More than double his salary.
B- Is in the best basketball conference in the nation.
C. Is home for both him and his wife.
D. He can get to the final four.
E. Has fertile recruiting grounds.

Utah State next year is going to be down.

Bye Bye Craig. Thanks for the memories.
Why will we be down? Sure Queta is probably gone but we will have a few open spots. Hopefully we can land a transfer that will be an impact. If Anderson comes back we return everyone else. I think we have a chance to be really solid next year.

Coach Smith has 2 kids in high school, not saying he wont leave but i could see him wanting to let them finish high school prior to moving on.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » February 27th, 2021, 7:24 pm

A bit of history from UM basketball.

1) It has been 39 seasons since they won a B10 championship.
2) In the last 30 years they are 2-7 in the NCAA tournament - never advancing to the Sweet 16.
3) In those same 30 years, they do have 2 NIT championships.
4) Former UM coaches currently coach at such NCAA hotbeds as LBSU and High Point.

It is entirely possible that money and location matter a great deal. But to think that UM is a place for a coach to make his lasting impact on college basketball is a stretch.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 28th, 2021, 7:38 am

This is all assuming coach smith is the leading candidate for the Minnesota job. Who knows if he’ll be a candidate at all. Based on Minnesota’s last hire, they’re looking for flash. Coach smith doesn’t provide that, although he’s most certainly be a better coach than whomever they hire.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 28th, 2021, 10:32 am

If Smith is here or Peterson is hired to replace him, we will not be down next year.

Once Queta is gone, this Rollie’s team. And we will continue to roll.

Just need to sign an impact JC or grad transfer C, a 1/2 combo guard and/or a 2/3 combo guard.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AggieFBObsession

bpd

Post by bpd » February 28th, 2021, 4:43 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 7:24 pm

2) In the last 30 years they are 2-7 in the NCAA tournament - never advancing to the Sweet 16.
4) Former UM coaches currently coach at such NCAA hotbeds as LBSU and High Point.

It is entirely possible that money and location matter a great deal. But to think that UM is a place for a coach to make his lasting impact on college basketball is a stretch.

Section B,

I respect your basketball opinion and you are a valuable member of this board. However, if somebody would more than double your pay, move you to your home state where both your aging parents and wife's parents live, and you could accomplish your career dream (though it will be really hard), you would probably take it. Even if you really like your current job.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 28th, 2021, 4:52 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:

They went to the Final 4 in 1997.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » February 28th, 2021, 5:02 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 4:52 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:

They went to the Final 4 in 1997.
https://gophersports.com/sports/2018/5/ ... px?id=1661

Their link - not mine. Apparently they had some violations that caused their seasons to be stripped.

https://gophersports.com/sports/2018/5/ ... px?id=1646

So according to the NCAA, the Final Four appearance was stripped. None of those 6 seasons show on their website. So I guess I can agree that they "are capable" of making it. But maybe not by following the rules. (Another topic.)

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » February 28th, 2021, 5:04 pm

bpd wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 4:43 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:

Section B,

I respect your basketball opinion and you are a valuable member of this board. However, if somebody would more than double your pay, move you to your home state where both your aging parents and wife's parents live, and you could accomplish your career dream (though it will be really hard), you would probably take it. Even if you really like your current job.
I made no (intentional) inference that Coach Smith wouldn't go. I was just disagreeing with the notion that it provided coaching opportunities that I don't think it provides.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » February 28th, 2021, 5:06 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 5:04 pm
bpd wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 4:43 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:

Section B,

I made no (intentional) inference that Coach Smith wouldn't go. I was just disagreeing with the notion that it provided coaching opportunities that I don't think it provides. Your reasons would be sufficient for most coaches. And it would definitely be enough for me - a non-coach.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 1st, 2021, 10:07 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 10:32 am
If Smith is here or Peterson is hired to replace him, we will not be down next year.

Once Queta is gone, this Rollie’s team. And we will continue to roll.

Just need to sign an impact JC or grad transfer C, a 1/2 combo guard and/or a 2/3 combo guard.
JC and grad transfers... easier said than done. Remember last offseason?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 1st, 2021, 5:48 pm

So what does USU have for next year?

Kuba - out
Anderson - undecided
Queta - nothing official, but most likely moving on

That leaves a core of:

Scholarship players:
Bean
Miller
Worseter
Anthony
Ashworth
Bairstow
McChesney
Dorius
Shulga
Zapala

Walk-ons:
Wickizer
Statsny (or however you spell it)

Returning missionary:
Potter

Room for two more scholarship players?

Eutaw St. Aggie

ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN

Post by ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN » March 1st, 2021, 5:58 pm

Hey Yoss, isn't Dorius a walk-on? or No?

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 1st, 2021, 6:09 pm

ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 5:58 pm
Yes he is and will stay a walk on from what I have heard.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 1st, 2021, 6:11 pm

ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:
Yes, I believe you are right.

If I remember correctly now, he is on academic scholarship and a walk-on on the team.

there is a potential for 3 more scholarship players. The right guys could really make this a good team. We won't be able to replace Queta, but we could really change the makeup of the team and make it equally tough to defend.

Here's how I see the biggest needs:

1) A 3/4 guy that can stretch the floor and make threes at a 38% clip, or higher (is this McChesney?)
2) A 4/5 guy with some bulk that is willing to rebound and work around the basket to take over for Bean when he leaves (does Brady Jardine have any eligibility left? - he would be ideal in this role) (Is this Potter?)
3) A primary ball handler to back up Worseter/Ashworth that can break a press, get to the basket in a half court set, and reliably make free throws
4) A center that can score around the basket and with range to 15 feet or more.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 1st, 2021, 9:01 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 6:11 pm
ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:
2) A 4/5 guy with some bulk that is willing to rebound and work around the basket to take over for Bean when he leaves (does Brady Jardine have any eligibility left? - he would be ideal in this role) (Is this Potter?)
Even if he did, it would take too much time away from hunting, so that's a no go.

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » March 2nd, 2021, 1:46 pm

ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:
He is a walk-on but is allegedly getting a scholarship for next year.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 2nd, 2021, 2:08 pm

NewUSUfan wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 1:46 pm
ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:
Hmmm....that would be an intersting decision given that he is on academic scholarship and it has been reported that his parents have more or less said to save the scholarship for someone else because they more than have the means to pay for anything beyond what his current scholarship covers.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
aggies22

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 2nd, 2021, 2:18 pm

Aglicious wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 2:08 pm
NewUSUfan wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 1:46 pm
ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:
Hmmm....that would be an intersting decision given that he is on academic scholarship and it has been reported that his parents have more or less said to save the scholarship for someone else because they more than have the means to pay for anything beyond what his current scholarship covers.
I guess there is always the potential for him to accidentally lose his academic scholarship right?

bpd

Post by bpd » March 2nd, 2021, 2:37 pm

I am still trying to figure out who is going to play center for us next year. And don't tell me Dorius.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 2nd, 2021, 2:42 pm

bpd wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 2:37 pm
I am still trying to figure out who is going to play center for us next year. And don't tell me Dorius.
Why not? When Dorius has played he has actually been pretty good IMO. I know he’s no where near Queta but with time and experience I think he can be a solid center.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 2nd, 2021, 3:00 pm

bpd wrote:
Maybe next year will be the breakout season for Zapala. While we haven't really seen it in his limited game time, I am told that Craig Smith himself believes that he has NBA talent.

Eutaw St. Aggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 2nd, 2021, 3:13 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 2:42 pm
bpd wrote:
Why not? When Dorius has played he has actually been pretty good IMO. I know he’s no where near Queta but with time and experience I think he can be a solid center.
My own opinion is Dorius is not and never.will be a decent STARTING center. He is barely ok as someone who can give the starter a breather for a few minutes, but not to get starters minutes and contribute even half of what Queta gives us. He plays well enough not to hurt us, and that’s ok, but his skills won’t get us a championship.

Locked Previous topicNext topic