Shulga

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiesdotcom
Posts: 1814
Joined: January 21st, 2011, 8:56 am
Has thanked: 121 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Shulga

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 1st, 2021, 8:38 am

Shulga more minutes.
Miller less minutes.
Thoughts?
These users thanked the author aggiesdotcom for the post (total 3):
GreenAgSl7vksockpuppet



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1416
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 496 times
Been thanked: 679 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Sl7vk » March 1st, 2021, 8:54 am

Yes.

Especially this version of Brock Miller (the one with the back injury).

Even when healthy, the only area that Brock is better on the court than Shulga is shooting. And I haven't even seen Shulga shoot enough to make a definitive call on that one.

Shulga is a better rebounder, better ball handler, better passer than Brock. You could see it last night when we were trying to break their press. Anthony and others were hyper hesitant to throw the ball to Brock, knowing if he's doubled he'll likely turn it over.

Shulga had 8 rebounds last night. I'm not sure that Brock has 8 rebounds all year.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2292
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2419 times
Been thanked: 847 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 1st, 2021, 9:14 am

Where'd all the Shulga haters go? Blah blah the Euro guards aren't good enough to hack it on the team, blah blah?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Sl7vk



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2292
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2419 times
Been thanked: 847 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 1st, 2021, 9:26 am

It should be noted that I was also unreasonably high on both Shulga and Zahar (I'm still sad he left) without any evidence to back it up, so maybe my taunting here should have been done with a bit more dignity.



User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 1st, 2021, 9:32 am

Shulga is the surprise we needed before going into MWC conference play.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
BLUERUFiO


"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7707
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 207 times
Been thanked: 541 times

Re: Shulga

Post by 2004AG » March 1st, 2021, 9:40 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:Shulga more minutes.
Miller less minutes.
Thoughts?
No question


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5135
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 501 times
Been thanked: 1029 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 1st, 2021, 9:44 am

Yeah Brock Miller shouldn't even play this week.



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 7131
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 367 times

Re: Shulga

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 1st, 2021, 9:46 am

We'll need Brock's scoring during the tournament. Sit him and get his back better until then. Added bonus: get Shulga minutes and experience in the meantime.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 17908
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 921 times
Been thanked: 982 times

Re: Shulga

Post by NVAggie » March 1st, 2021, 9:59 am

I was certainly a Shulga and Vedisevic pessimist. Zahar was a chucker and Max looked lost early on. I'm also very happy to see Shulga play so well. He need to continue to develop. He is doing the good stuff like rebounding and defending. I imagine his shooting will come around.



Yossarian
Posts: 4903
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 909 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Yossarian » March 1st, 2021, 10:07 am

I was not too high on Shulga, myself. I figured he was equivalent to Adam Thoseberry. Thoseberry put up very good numbers as a prep and was on the English junior national team, if I remember correctly. His game just didn't translate well as a collegiate player in the US. I saw Shulga as a similar type of player.

When we got into the season and were struggling shooting the three, I was asking why we weren't seeing Shulga playing? He got no game time outside of late-game minutes in blowouts. We needed a spark and a guy that could shoot and Shulga wasn't getting time so I figured he must not be that guy. Watching him play so well in the time that he has been given, I am wondering why he didn't get more time earlier. Maybe the injury to Worseter was a blessing in disguise? I hope this week wasn't just fool's gold and Shulga becomes a consistently solid player for the Aggies. He sure looked good in these two games against Nevada.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11053
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7046 times
Been thanked: 4620 times
Contact:

Re: Shulga

Post by aggies22 » March 1st, 2021, 10:12 am

Shulga is only going to get better. He is barely 18 years old. He's easily one of the youngest players in college basketball.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
Real Life AggieAggie in BoiseProvoAggieSl7vkBLUERUFiO



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1344
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has thanked: 1147 times
Been thanked: 476 times

Re: Shulga

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 1st, 2021, 10:49 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:12 am
Shulga is only going to get better. He is barely 18 years old. He's easily one of the youngest players in college basketball.
I was actually wondering about this. He looks taller than his listed 6'4". I would've guess he is closer to 6'6". Am I crazy or is he still growing?



SSaggie
Posts: 68
Joined: August 30th, 2014, 7:37 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Shulga

Post by SSaggie » March 1st, 2021, 10:59 am

I was wondering this as well



slcagg
Posts: 6937
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1606 times
Been thanked: 1246 times

Re: Shulga

Post by slcagg » March 1st, 2021, 11:12 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:49 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:12 am
Shulga is only going to get better. He is barely 18 years old. He's easily one of the youngest players in college basketball.
I was actually wondering about this. He looks taller than his listed 6'4". I would've guess he is closer to 6'6". Am I crazy or is he still growing?
I'll bet his actual height is shorter than his listed 6'4". You know rarely are they that height or taller. But to your point maybe he has grown.



User avatar
scotlandog
Posts: 1360
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: Shulga

Post by scotlandog » March 1st, 2021, 11:13 am

Shulga shot looks pretty decent with a nice release. I’m not sure of his hue fur right now like others have commented on. If he’s 6’4” I think Miller does have an advantage of getting his shot off over defenders easier, especially with his really high release.

When he has been on this year, he’s definitely been a boost to our scoring. When he’s been off these last 2 series, he’s been a liability both on offense and defense. Get his back healthy again and he should still be a valuable asset to us.

Shulga has been hyped as a very good 3pt shooter and it seems the game is slowing down for him as he gets more comfortable. I’m excited to see if this week he can get his outside shot going. He did splash one in late on Nevada and it looked really good. If he can shoot as well as Brock then I would say he should be getting lots of minutes.

3pt shooting is what has been missing from this team. Consistent 3pt shooting. We’ve been hitting enough but really consistent 3pt shooting makes this team extremely dangerous with Queta on the inside and his ability to pass out. If we had Shulga and Miller in and they both could hit at very high rates then that would be an interesting lineup.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Sike
Posts: 238
Joined: October 5th, 2013, 9:32 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Sike » March 1st, 2021, 11:28 am

I went to the game last night and believe my wallet was stolen. Below is a picture of the sus.
Image

He had 4 steals last night. Not only were they steals but they usually lead to quick points.
These users thanked the author Sike for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOaggies22Real Life Aggie



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 17908
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 921 times
Been thanked: 982 times

Re: Shulga

Post by NVAggie » March 1st, 2021, 11:34 am

Shulga will really get his shot going when he works on his footwork when shooting. He missed a lot of 3's early because he was messy with his feet.



User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 1st, 2021, 11:40 am

NVAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:34 am
Shulga will really get his shot going when he works on his footwork when shooting. He missed a lot of 3's early because he was messy with his feet.
I think his footwork problem is due to hesitation. He wasn't sure if he should shoot or not.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
aggies22


"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 1st, 2021, 11:51 am

slcagg wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:12 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:49 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:12 am
Shulga is only going to get better. He is barely 18 years old. He's easily one of the youngest players in college basketball.
I was actually wondering about this. He looks taller than his listed 6'4". I would've guess he is closer to 6'6". Am I crazy or is he still growing?
I'll bet his actual height is shorter than his listed 6'4". You know rarely are they that height or taller. But to your point maybe he has grown.
If Ashworth is 6'1" I would have guessed Shulga as 6'6". :lol:

I'm 6'2" and I'm about an inch taller than Porter who was listed at 6'3".


"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

Aggie84025
Posts: 3572
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1249 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Aggie84025 » March 1st, 2021, 11:59 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 9:44 am
Yeah Brock Miller shouldn't even play this week.
Agreed, not because Shulga should take his minutes, but because his back is ailing him. We will need Miller big time in the conference tournament to hit some shots in order to have a chance at winning the tournament.



slcagg
Posts: 6937
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1606 times
Been thanked: 1246 times

Re: Shulga

Post by slcagg » March 1st, 2021, 12:22 pm

So question on the back. I feel like I’ve heard with a sore back you want to keep playing or else it locks up on you. A week or two doesn’t really do much. Is that true?

Maybe we can get our in-house doctors to weigh in @LKGates and @hipsterdoofus21



SLB
Posts: 5197
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 554 times

Re: Shulga

Post by SLB » March 1st, 2021, 2:09 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:40 am
NVAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:34 am
Shulga will really get his shot going when he works on his footwork when shooting. He missed a lot of 3's early because he was messy with his feet.
I think his footwork problem is due to hesitation. He wasn't sure if he should shoot or not.
Brito and Bean did this too.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 689
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Shulga

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 1st, 2021, 3:13 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:51 am
slcagg wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:12 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:49 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:12 am
Shulga is only going to get better. He is barely 18 years old. He's easily one of the youngest players in college basketball.
I was actually wondering about this. He looks taller than his listed 6'4". I would've guess he is closer to 6'6". Am I crazy or is he still growing?
I'll bet his actual height is shorter than his listed 6'4". You know rarely are they that height or taller. But to your point maybe he has grown.
If Ashworth is 6'1" I would have guessed Shulga as 6'6". :lol:

I'm 6'2" and I'm about an inch taller than Porter who was listed at 6'3".
He does look like a big 6'4" but maybe that's because he's built like a linebacker and has his dunk roomate give him haircuts.



User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2932
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: Shulga

Post by GUS » March 1st, 2021, 3:23 pm

Image

Does Shulga look similar to Miller here? I'm sure he doesn't have the same disease.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 689
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Shulga

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 1st, 2021, 3:32 pm

GUS wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 3:23 pm
Image

Does Shulga look similar to Miller here? I'm sure he doesn't have the same disease.
No, he's just European.



User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 1st, 2021, 4:06 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 3:13 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:51 am
slcagg wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:12 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:49 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:12 am
Shulga is only going to get better. He is barely 18 years old. He's easily one of the youngest players in college basketball.
I was actually wondering about this. He looks taller than his listed 6'4". I would've guess he is closer to 6'6". Am I crazy or is he still growing?
I'll bet his actual height is shorter than his listed 6'4". You know rarely are they that height or taller. But to your point maybe he has grown.
If Ashworth is 6'1" I would have guessed Shulga as 6'6". :lol:

I'm 6'2" and I'm about an inch taller than Porter who was listed at 6'3".
He does look like a big 6'4" but maybe that's because he's built like a linebacker and has his dunk roomate give him haircuts.
I don't know that I would say that he's built like a linebacker but I really like his size. I like when basketball players realize at a young age that strength training is beneficial. The size, strength, speed, physicality, and explosiveness gained from strength training helps out significantly. It's unfortunate that many young basketball players neglect that part of their game.


"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 1st, 2021, 4:36 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:12 am
Shulga is only going to get better. He is barely 18 years old. He's easily one of the youngest players in college basketball.
He looks/plays much older than a barely 18 year old. 8 rebounds and 4 steals in 24 minutes of play in his second game where he actually played meaningful minutes. Not to mention against a backcourt like Nevada's. The dude is a beast and the sky is the limit. I want to see him shoot more threes. I'm really excited about Shulga and the upcoming MWC tourney. If Brock and Worster can get healthy then

Image


"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

pilotaggie
Posts: 764
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Shulga

Post by pilotaggie » March 1st, 2021, 4:39 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:40 am
NVAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:34 am
Shulga will really get his shot going when he works on his footwork when shooting. He missed a lot of 3's early because he was messy with his feet.
I think his footwork problem is due to hesitation. He wasn't sure if he should shoot or not.
He hesitated for sure on a couple shots. He looked very good last night.


This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: Shulga

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 1st, 2021, 4:59 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 4:39 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:40 am
NVAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:34 am
Shulga will really get his shot going when he works on his footwork when shooting. He missed a lot of 3's early because he was messy with his feet.
I think his footwork problem is due to hesitation. He wasn't sure if he should shoot or not.
He hesitated for sure on a couple shots. He looked very good last night.
Once he feels a little more confident he won't hesitate, the footwork will be good, and hopefully he'll be shooting like Brock does when he's having a good night.


"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic