Basketball programs more successful than USU?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Basketball programs more successful than USU?

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 21st, 2021, 1:29 pm

For a while now I hear constant chatter on here, the radio, twitter, in public, etc. that's basically saying something like "If little Gonzaga can build a basketball powerhouse, why not USU?!"

I've brought this up before, and there's no proof of causation, but there is correlation between mid-major bball success & not having an FBS football team.

So let's try this exercise. How many basketball programs can you name with a more successful basketball program than USU's that also have 1) An FBS football team 2) A university endowment & athletics budget that isn't just massively larger USU's?

For example, Cincinnati would not count because they have such a larger budget than USU, and arguably are also in a major market as the only div. 1 team.

I'll start with only one I can name: San Diego State. Is there anyone else? As far as I can tell USU bball has been outperforming every other single school in the nation that has similar resources and an FBS football team.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on March 21st, 2021, 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bluegrouse

Re: Basketball programs more successful than USU?

Post by bluegrouse » March 21st, 2021, 1:35 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 1:29 pm
For a while now I hear constant chatter on here, the radio, twitter, in public, etc. that's basically saying something like "If little Gonzaga can build a basketball powerhouse, why not USU?!"

I've brought this up before, and there's no proof of causation, but there is correlation between mid-major bball success & not having an FBS football team.

So let's try this exercise. How many basketball programs can you name with a more successful basketball program than USU's that also have 1) An FBS football team 2) A university endowment & athletics budget that isn't more than double USU's?

For example, Cincinnati would not count, because they have 3.5x the endowment and athletics budget as USU's. Memphis would also not count, as their athletics budget is more than 3x USU's.

USU has approx. an endowment of $450mm and an athletics budget of $15mm. I'll even allow schools with double the resources to be included though.

I'll start with only one I can name: San Diego State. Is there anyone else? As far as I can tell USU bball has been outperforming every other single school in the nation that has similar resources and an FBS football team.
Our athletic budget is $35.5M. Did you mean basketball budget?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 21st, 2021, 1:37 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 1:35 pm

Our athletic budget is $35.5M. Did you mean basketball budget?
You're probably correct, but do you have a link? When I googled it I found $15mm.

Assuming that's true we can add 2 to the list. Memphis & SDSU. What other teams are there?

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 21st, 2021, 1:38 pm

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-stat ... e-ad-john/

Down from $39M in 2019 due to COViD according to this article...

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 21st, 2021, 1:39 pm

So I stand corrected on the total budget.

My point still stands though. What schools out there in those parameters are actually outperforming USU?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 21st, 2021, 1:40 pm

I don't think anyone is saying we don't have a great basketball program. It has been a great 20 years. Stew was awesome and Craig Smith was an A+ hire. People are just disappointed by our really bad tournament record while programs like Ohio who are less sucessful than us find ways to frequently win tournament games. The fact that we have had such a great program is the reason for the disappointment that we come up short in the tournament while other less successful programs find ways to win.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AggieFBObsession

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 21st, 2021, 1:41 pm

Memphis is around $55M from what I could find...

SDSU is around $57M

Ohio was $36M in 2018. Can’t find any updated numbers after quick search.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 21st, 2021, 1:54 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 1:41 pm

SDSU is around $57M

Ohio, despite their tournament win, has had nowhere near the basketball success & consistency Usu has had.

We’re up to two teams, out of about 60. SDSU & Memphis.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 21st, 2021, 1:58 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 1:54 pm
bluegrouse wrote:

SDSU is around $57M

Ohio, despite their tournament win, has had nowhere near the basketball success & consistency Usu has had.

That is the point and frustration many of us have though. Ohio is nowhere near the program USU is, yet has won in the tournament 3x since 2009 and went to the Sweet Sixteen in 2012. Not one person is saying our program isn't great. We just want to take the next step.
AggieFBObsession

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 21st, 2021, 2:00 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

SDSU is around $57M

Are you sure about that? They’ve won 4 NCAA games since 2010 getting to the Sweet Sixteen in 2012.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 21st, 2021, 2:00 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 1:58 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

SDSU is around $57M

That is the point and frustration many of us have though. Ohio is nowhere near the program USU is, yet has won in the tournament 3x since 2009 and went to the Sweet Sixteen in 2012. Not one person is saying our program isn't great. We just want to take the next step.
Alright fine, let’s say Ohio has had a better bball program than USU.
That’s 3 teams now out of about 60 outperforming usu.
USU has 1 NCAA win the last 20 years, which is still out punching its weight relative to the demographics.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 21st, 2021, 2:01 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 2:00 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

SDSU is around $57M

Are you sure about that? They’ve won 4 NCAA games since 2010 getting to the Sweet Sixteen in 2012.
Not anymore. Ohio is now ahead of Usu. So Usu is now #4 out of about 60 teams in the NCAA. Ouch.

However I will note that Ken Pomeroy’s site takes the total team rank every year since 1997 (as far back as his data goes) and ranks all teams. Usu comes in at #82. Ohio is #122.

Nevada, who an argument could be made for being ahead of Usu is #89.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 21st, 2021, 2:07 pm

Not counting last year in football USU is performing at a really good place considering our overall budget. I am thankful how Hartwell has managed the finances. We could for sure be in a lot worse place.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 21st, 2021, 2:39 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 2:00 pm
March 21st, 2021, 1:58 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

SDSU is around $57M

Alright fine, let’s say Ohio has had a better bball program than USU.
That’s 3 teams now out of about 60 outperforming usu.
USU has 1 NCAA win the last 20 years, which is still out punching its weight relative to the demographics.
I literally said in the post you are responding to "Ohio is nowhere near the program USU is. . ."

USU is a great program. Nobody is arguing with you on that. If you are making the point that we should all be fine with our lack of tournament success because we have a great basketball program, that is where you'll run into disagreement.

Sorry, but we can do better than zero tournament wins and 8 straight first round losses over 20 years.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 21st, 2021, 2:43 pm

When you say Cincinnati is the only Div1 in the area. Are you saying that fits the football criteria? Because they have Xavier right down the street and NKU s now D1 basketball and is right across the Ohio river

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 21st, 2021, 4:07 pm

From an outsider’s perspective, USU has done incredibly well. 10 years ago, who were USU’s peers? Idaho & NMSU. Where are they and where is USU? If you want more, you’re being unrealistic.

I think USU’s story is a remarkable triumph of passionate fans. USU fans care when many of their peer schools’ fans do not care (SJSU, UNR—nvspuds aside—for example). That’s why the Aggies have been consistently ascending for two decades.

USU got some tough matchups in the tourney (TAMU, KSU, TT), had some bad officiating luck (Marquette) and, yes, crapped the bed at least once (Washington).

Should USU have won a tourney game in the last 20 years? Absolutely. But when you’re talking about 8 games, “should” is awfully subjective.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » March 21st, 2021, 4:17 pm

You think Nevada fans don't care?

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 21st, 2021, 4:20 pm

nvspuds wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:17 pm
I think Nevada’s fan support pales in comparison to USU’s fan support, especially given the couple extra years USU spent in the dying WAC. That could have killed the program, but the Aggies more than persevered.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » March 21st, 2021, 4:22 pm

I am not sure that Nevada's fans should be lumped in with SJSU but your are certainly entitled to your opinion..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
Real Life Aggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 21st, 2021, 4:24 pm

The truth about USU is the budget is actually $40 million. One factor that many USU fans do not consider is location, we are the 3rd school in Utah period, we are located in a small somewhat isolated city, no interstate no commercial airport, all that is a real drawback, as far as fan support goes aggie fans are second to last in their conference as far as ticket sales and donations goes. The truth is aggie fans get a lot more than what they pay for, and where they are located.

Nevada fans spend much more, so I would say they are at least equal to what USU has.
Last edited by oleblu111 on March 21st, 2021, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 21st, 2021, 4:25 pm

nvspuds wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:22 pm
I am not sure that Nevada's fans should be lumped in with SJSU but your are certainly entitled to your opinion..
Agreed. There’s a big difference between SJSU and UNR but I stand by my point that they are both peer schools of USU who lack the fan support of USU.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 21st, 2021, 4:27 pm

MarioWest wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:25 pm
nvspuds wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:22 pm
Agreed. There’s a big difference between SJSU and UNR but I stand by my point that they are both peer schools of USU who lack the fan support of USU.
I would take UNR's fan support over USU's

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 21st, 2021, 4:30 pm

MarioWest wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:20 pm
nvspuds wrote:
I think Nevada’s fan support pales in comparison to USU’s fan support, especially given the couple extra years USU spent in the dying WAC. That could have killed the program, but the Aggies more than persevered.
USU only spent 1 year in the Wac beyond what Nevada did. Nevada has gone to the Sweet Sixteen twice since USU last won a tournament game.

Two things can be true. We can celebrate the accomplishments of USU basketball winning numerous conference titles in the last 20 years and rightfully believing our success has been awesome, but also not make excuses for our poor tournament record as many inferior programs have won tournament games during that time.
oleblu111

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 21st, 2021, 4:34 pm

March 21st, 2021, 4:30 pm
MarioWest wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
USU only spent 1 year in the Wac beyond what Nevada did. Nevada has gone to the Sweet Sixteen twice since USU last won a tournament game.

Two things can be true. We can celebrate the accomplishments of USU basketball winning numerous conference titles in the last 20 years and rightfully believing our success has been awesome, but also not make excuses for our poor tournament record as many inferior programs have won tournament games during that time.
Was it really only one year? Really thought it was two. I’m not saying that Nevada was less successful than USU. Obviously, they’ve been better. But whose fans care more? Lawlor Events Center has never been as intimidating as the Spectrum, even as Nevada’s basketball program has outstripped USU’s.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 21st, 2021, 4:36 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:24 pm
The truth about USU is the budget is actually $40 million. One factor that many USU fans do not consider is location, we are the 3rd school in Utah period, we are located in a small somewhat isolated city, no interstate no commercial airport, all that is a real drawback, as far as fan support goes aggie fans are second to last in their conference as far as ticket sales and donations goes. The truth is aggie fans get a lot more than what they pay for, and where they are located.

Nevada fans spend much more, so I would say they are at least equal to what USU has.
True in ticket sales, but in terms of actual attendance the aggies do extremely well in terms of their conference peers in basketball. We can certainly do better but the atmosphere that we have in basketball at home most teams in the conference are jealous of.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 21st, 2021, 4:39 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:36 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:24 pm

True in ticket sales, but in terms of actual attendance the aggies do extremely well in terms of their conference peers in basketball. We can certainly do better but the atmosphere that we have in basketball at home most teams in the conference are jealous of.
Exactly. And the Friday night football games are a big deal. I don’t know about the rest of the country. But, in Atlanta, USU clearly has the best brand in the MW outside of Boise, SDSU and UNLV.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 21st, 2021, 4:40 pm

MarioWest wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:34 pm
MarioWest wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

Was it really only one year? Really thought it was two. I’m not saying that Nevada was less successful than USU. Obviously, they’ve been better. But whose fans care more? Lawlor Events Center has never been as intimidating as the Spectrum, even as Nevada’s basketball program has outstripped USU’s.
USU allows 4,400 students in with a basketball arena capacity of 10,000 that is why the arena is intimidating. The paying fans not so much.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 21st, 2021, 4:42 pm

MarioWest wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

I agree it doesn't get much better than the Spectrum. It is the best homecourt atmosphere in the conference.

Yeah it was just one year longer. Nevada's last year in the MW was 2012. Our last year in the MW was 2013.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 21st, 2021, 4:47 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:40 pm
MarioWest wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

USU allows 4,400 students in with a basketball arena capacity of 10,000 that is why the arena is intimidating. The paying fans not so much.
That’s supposed to be a bad thing? I go to a ton of Georgia St games. They’re not THAT much worse than USU objectively, but they struggle to get 500 fans, students or otherwise.

Just saying. USU, Logan and the spectrum are all very special. The game on Friday sucked but the criticism is getting out of hand IMO.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 21st, 2021, 4:49 pm

March 21st, 2021, 4:42 pm
MarioWest wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

I agree it doesn't get much better than the Spectrum. It is the best homecourt atmosphere in the conference.

Yeah it was just one year longer. Nevada's last year in the MW was 2012. Our last year in the MW was 2013.
You are correct, but it certainly felt like more than one year.
These users thanked the author MarioWest for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 21st, 2021, 5:09 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

The fact of the matter is is a very intimidating arena for opposing teams. Whether or not that is from the students or from the general public it is a very tough Arena to get a win at as an opposing team.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
MarioWest

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 21st, 2021, 5:28 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 5:09 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

The fact of the matter is is a very intimidating arena for opposing teams. Whether or not that is from the students or from the general public it is a very tough Arena to get a win at as an opposing team.
It is a tough place to get a win for sure, but most of the reason for that is the rowdy 4,400 students, other than low revenue from Basketball USU is doing well given that factor.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 21st, 2021, 6:46 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 1:29 pm

So let's try this exercise. How many basketball programs can you name with a more successful basketball program than USU's that also have 1) An FBS football team 2) A university endowment & athletics budget that isn't just massively larger USU's?

For example, Cincinnati would not count because they have such a larger budget than USU, and arguably are also in a major market as the only div. 1 team.

You would need to define “successful” basketball program. Does it mean regular season winning percentage? Does it mean conferencechamionships? Does it mean NCAA tournament appearances? Does it mean NCAA tournament wins? If the last item is the metric then we are probably the worst in the country over the last 50 years.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 21st, 2021, 9:07 pm

I know many here will bash me for saying this, but Utah State is relying on a culturally non diverse state. It's quickly changing almost faster than any other state, however, it's still behind in cultural diversity. If Utah State could recruit more from cities like Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Seattle, Phoenix, Oakland/SF and even Denver, it'd do better. Nothing against Utah hs basketball, but we can't get all of our talent from the state of Utah or we'll have no hope of ever winning an NCAA tournament game.

I'm ecstatic that coach is recruiting a lot away from the state of Utah without dropping the state of Utah as a priority. I just think that he's been a bit unlucky in recruiting better talent and probably also lacks some stronger connections to the HS ranks.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
AggiesForever

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic